USMNT 2022

Napoleon

1 minute ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Greg needs to go.  If I'm not mistaken, we have 3 shots on goal in 2 games.  I think we scored against El Salvador, and their goalie made a great save on another.  That's fucking ridiculous.  TWO shots against El Salvador?  Assuming we make the WC, what the fuck are we going to do against England, Brazil, Germany, hell, any team in the theoretical "Top 24"?

That’s incorrect. We had 5 shots on goal against El Salvador and 3 today (looking at the stats). 

But I don’t disagree. We’re going to suck dick in Qatar. It’s going to be a wasted trip. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Captain Ron said:

That’s incorrect. We had 5 shots on goal against El Salvador and 3 today (looking at the stats). 

But I don’t disagree. We’re going to suck dick in Qatar. It’s going to be a wasted trip. 

Got it.  Going off memory.  I just recall the split-second save on Weah's toe-poke + the goal.

Seriously, why will no one pin Greg and or USSF down on wtf their game plan is in the attacking half? CP is either a focus or he isn’t. Pepi is either a focus or he isn’t. Are we trying to win through the middle or on service/set pieces?  How does any of the random shit he trots out every game support that plan?  I know players are loathe to rock the boat, and I know Greg has the nepotism card in his pocket, but someone needs to speak up.  And not with veiled shots, come out and call Greg and the staff out. This team probably has the highest quality content of any team we have fielded, and it’s being wasted. FUCK

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

Greg is a walking mediocrity as a coach who consistently has no game plan. We can’t score in any first half and are always behind the eight ball hoping that one of our generational talents pulls something out. It’s why pulisic is always pressing. Same with Mckinnie who was playing 1 on 3 half the time today.

USSF should demand a higher standard, but as long as the $$$ keeps rolling in, they won’t.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

Seriously, why will no one pin Greg and or USSF down on wtf their game plan is in the attacking half? CP is either a focus or he isn’t. Pepi is either a focus or he isn’t. Are we trying to win through the middle or on service/set pieces?  How does any of the random shit he trots out every game support that plan?  I know players are loathe to rock the boat, and I know Greg has the nepotism card in his pocket, but someone needs to speak up.  And not with veiled shots, come out and call Greg and the staff out. This team probably has the highest quality content of any team we have fielded, and it’s being wasted. FUCK

I would be 0% surprised if Gerg thinks that the side with more possession and more completed passes gets three goals at the end of the match.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

We have the best talent we've ever had but it was obvious when he was hired gergg was going to throw away this wc.  Maybe we'll hire somebody worth a shit for '26 and maybe our talent won't have aged out.  Furk

Edited by WBT
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Ok Greg, you sat Pepi, your leading scorer and assist creator for the ES game (let’s not even get into his minutes played while still carrying those titles), so that means you unleash the fucking dragon against Canada, right?  Right?!?!? 

Fuck this guy so hard.  Stop trying to inflate the value of MLS a players and play your best lineup every fucking game. Bring those guys in when it’s medically necessary or the game is in hand you dumb bitch. If USSF is driving that bullshit campaign, hang your nuts out and play the right lineup anyway and make USSF be the fucking bad guy and fire you. Even if you aren’t a clueless bitch, you are going down as one because you keep trotting these bullshit players out and give the other team belief. Canada absolutely believed they would win from the jump. They play to their strengths and are a cohesive squad. The US has a bunch of UCL players running around like idiots trying to get quality touches or service.  FUCK

• Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Fortunately the media will crucify Berhalter for this. 

Oh wait... no they won't. They'll say Pulisic "isn't in form" and we made some "key mistakes" at the back. 

17 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

Seriously, why will no one pin Greg and or USSF down on wtf their game plan is in the attacking half?

The media doesn’t care about a USMNT qualifier in Hamilton, Canada. 

The #1 sports media story is going to be the 2 teams that are going to the Super Bowl. 

The #2 & #3 sports media stories are going to be the NBA scores & Rafael Nadal winning the Australian Open and his 21st Grand Slam title. 

The #4 sports story is going to be continuing coverage of Tom Brady retiring from football.

The #5 & #6 sports stories are going to be NCAA Men’s basketball & NHL scores.

The #7 sports story is going to be NCAA Women’s basketball.

The #8 & #9 sports stories will be the Winter Olympics & PGA Golf.

The #10 sports media story will be National Signing Day. 

The USMNT will likely not make SportsCenter, but if it does, it will not get more than 45 seconds. The game with get a small section in tomorrow’s print newspapers in only some of the major markets in the USA, but absolutely no prominent sports columnists will cover the match. None. 

No one will pin Gregg down on anything, because no one with the power of the podium actually gives a shit. They don’t like or hate Gregg, most just don’t even know that he exists. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

The plan of attack is foolish - bomb crosses in from the sides and hope someone can get on the end and score. He doesn't have a plan that is at all attempting to advance the ball or score up the middle, everything is down the sides. All of the Youtube pundits know this is what we do and if they know it, you know real fucking coaches are able to pick up up on their first run through watching our games. 

I would argue he wants us to do well on set pieces, but he doesn't appear to have done a lot of prep work with that.

8 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

It gets worse 

If he said that, then he's a moron. Sure we had the possession stat (2:1), but the US consistently does shit with possession, mainly passing it around. Our passing was ok (sub standard for us (79%) and we were outshot on xG (2.47-2.00), that isn't dominating.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

49 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

I'm still puzzled as to why Arsenal wants Matt Turner. I'm also puzzled why Ethan Horvath has been exiled from the USMNT.

I didn't see a lot of the game, but watching both goals, I'm not sure why people are down on Turner, once the guys are clear of the defense and basically 1 on 1, what was he supposed to do?

26 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

If accurate, that second tweet is disturbing because it demonstrates a total lack of understanding and objectivity.

Maybe Gergg is just laying down some coachspeak and trying to be positive, but if not, then he doesn't understand Canada's gameplan and, as @TexArcher stated upthread, he truly believes that whoever has the best stats after 90 (i.e., most shots and possession) deserves the full 3 points.

We saw two-thirds of the ball because Canada got its early goal and was content to defend and look for the counter. If Gergg doesn't realize that--and if he actually feels Zardes was impactful (Pepi showed more in 23+ minutes than Gyasi did in 67), then the boo-birds have been right all along and we are indeed fucked.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

37 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

The media doesn’t care about a USMNT qualifier in Hamilton, Canada. 

The #1 sports media story is going to be the 2 teams that are going to the Super Bowl. 

The #2 & #3 sports media stories are going to be the NBA scores & Rafael Nadal winning the Australian Open and his 21st Grand Slam title. 

The #4 sports story is going to be continuing coverage of Tom Brady retiring from football.

The #5 & #6 sports stories are going to be NCAA Men’s basketball & NHL scores.

The #7 sports story is going to be NCAA Women’s basketball.

The #8 & #9 sports stories will be the Winter Olympics & PGA Golf.

The #10 sports media story will be National Signing Day. 

The USMNT will likely not make SportsCenter, but if it does, it will not get more than 45 seconds. The game with get a small section in tomorrow’s print newspapers in only some of the major markets in the USA, but absolutely no prominent sports columnists will cover the match. None. 

No one will pin Gregg down on anything, because no one with the power of the podium actually gives a shit. They don’t like or hate Gregg, most just don’t even know that he exists. 

Not enough social or political points to be scored with the USMNT.  

20 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

The plan of attack is foolish - bomb crosses in from the sides and hope someone can get on the end and score. He doesn't have a plan that is at all attempting to advance the ball or score up the middle, everything is down the sides. All of the Youtube pundits know this is what we do and if they know it, you know real fucking coaches are able to pick up up on their first run through watching our games. 

I would argue he wants us to do well on set pieces, but he doesn't appear to have done a lot of prep work with that.

If he said that, then he's a moron. Sure we had the possession stat (2:1), but the US consistently does shit with possession, mainly passing it around. Our passing was ok (sub standard for us (79%) and we were outshot on xG (2.47-2.00), that isn't dominating.

Yea, that’s what I’m getting at. We either don’t have any consistent/understood tactics in that half, don’t play the players that match those tactics, or both. I know where my money is.  If your game plan is to push down the wings and serve up wide crosses and look for set pieces, play guys on the wing with great service and guys in the middle that can get on the end of stuff in the air. Zardes isn’t that guy.  Pepi is that guy, and you sat him on the bench for 60+ minutes, most of those already down a goal which allowed Canada to sit even deeper. Just clinical levels of dumb and it’s not just this game. Outside of Pepi going off, this team has generated absolute shit for scoring chances the entire hex. That’s with guys like CP, Dest, Reyna, WM, AARonson, UCL quality players, on the pitch.  That should be a fireable offense for a fed that gives a shit. 

and yes, he definitely said that.

1 hour ago, Captain Ron said:

Perhaps not a terrible idea if Brian McBride is up top.  OR, if our attack had any pace and the crosses didn't need to be finished in the air.  As it was, we slowly got down a flank and then crossed it into the box where it's generally 4 or 5 defenders v. 5'8" Ferreira or 5'10" CP.  Makes no sense whatsoever.  PLUS, the crosses rarely made it past the first defender.  I just don't understand what the strategy is.  

And I can't believe GB is lauding performance in a 2-0 loss.  If CR somehow gets a goal (80th min), we're in a really bad spot.

1 hour ago, Captain Ron said:

I didn't see a lot of the game, but watching both goals, I'm not sure why people are down on Turner, once the guys are clear of the defense and basically 1 on 1, what was he supposed to do?

His poor goal kick essentially led to Canada's first goal. Of course, Miles Robinson's defending didn't help the situation.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Pulisic might come back 5'9" if he spent a month in space. 

Pepi is our best header threat of the attackers. Good thing he sat on the bench for the first 160 mins of this window.

It's actually McKennie, but Pepi should have been starting at striker given the roster that was called in. USMNT could have used Pefok or even Sargent for that matter. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

…it's generally 4 or 5 defenders v. 5'8" Ferreira or 5'10” CP.  Makes no sense whatsoever. 

49 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Pulisic might come back 5'9" if he spent a month in space. 

Christian Pulisic is maybe 5’7” the moment he wakes up, before he stands up and starts his day. 

By kickoff, he’s more likely 5’ 6 1/2”. 

Yes, he has a header goal in the last 8 months, but he’s not a target in the box. 

I would have called the gargantuan Pefok into the team, especially on a 70 yard wide pitch. 

Berhalter is just so bad. He has the best collection of talent in CONCACAF and he is underachieving like a first time coach would. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

The stupid part about starting Zardes because of a narrow pitch is that it actually makes it worse for him because he doesn't have a good touch. A smaller pitch would mean you want someone more skilled on the ball.

After today's disaster, we need to be rooting hard for Mexico on Wednesday. We have got to get some cushion going into the next round because it's going to be a bitch. @Mexico, home to Panama, and @Costa Rica. Yikes. I keep trying to make peace with the fact that this is already a wasted cycle with GB, but I really hate that we are squandering the talent on this team. 

1 hour ago, Pathetic Shark said:

Surprised at the 79% passing stat.  It looked like many simple passes went astray and the crossing was pretty awful.  The team really didn’t have as much sustained press as it should, too eager to pump it into the middle, that’s on Gerg.  Doesn’t help that Pulisic was a complete non factor 

It seems like a lot of fans and pundits expect Pulisic to bail this team out and frankly whether he's in form or not he isn't good enough to overcome Berhalter's idiocy on a consistent basis. When he doesn't score or assist or have multiple shots on goal the narrative turns into "the US need more from Pulisic" when the reality is that the US needs more from it's manager at this point. Soccer isn't as simple as your "best" player playing well every game. It isn't basketball. Pulisic is not some European superstar. He is a very talented winger that has an overall skillset that few if any players from this country have ever possessed. When he plays kind of meh like today but plays 90 minutes and still does as much or more to create chances than any other forward on the team it doesn't mean that he needs to be benched or played just as bad as anyone on the team. It just means that he didn't have the type of game where he singlehandedly altered the outcome - and newsflash for some people - Pulisic has those games all the fucking time. So does every player in our pool right now. 

I'm not coming after you or even overly defending Pulisic as I'm plenty fine calling it like it is for any player on this team. Frankly - I don't think he's our best player right now. But Weston McKennie isn't as popular and doesn't get as many clicks. I'm just tired of seeing people all over the internet - including journalists for major networks - consistently make every poor performance about one or two players when the actual issues are much deeper and frankly at an organizational level. 

We don't have a players or talent or Christian Pulisic issue. Thomas Tuchel is pretty comfortable playing CP all over the pitch for huge stretches at a time for one of the best clubs in the world - whether he's scoring goals or putting in incredible performances or not. We have a dipshit manager issue and it's highlighted by not putting players in a position to succeed or help with their confidence, not putting the right players in the game, and having a general lack of awareness and competence that should be expected of any manager in the world at this level. 

I mean - something I haven't seen touched on anywhere in skimming through the after action stuff - we played the last 10 minutes of this match with 10 fucking players because Berhalter burned 5 subs by the 77' mark in a game that we were losing. We don't need Arriola and Morris and Reggie Cannon on the pitch that badly. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

I would say that today was one of Christian’s better games in this cycle. He was a net positive. 

Our CDs were our weakest link today. 

I would love for the guys to play like Canada did on their first goal and I think that they easily have the talent to do it, but maybe we have to wait until December to see if we can sign Canada’s manager after the World Cup. 
🙏

• Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, ztejas said:

It seems like a lot of fans and pundits expect Pulisic to bail this team out and frankly whether he's in form or not he isn't good enough to overcome Berhalter's idiocy on a consistent basis. When he doesn't score or assist or have multiple shots on goal the narrative turns into "the US need more from Pulisic" when the reality is that the US needs more from it's manager at this point. Soccer isn't as simple as your "best" player playing well every game. It isn't basketball. Pulisic is not some European superstar. He is a very talented winger that has an overall skillset that few if any players from this country have ever possessed. When he plays kind of meh like today but plays 90 minutes and still does as much or more to create chances than any other forward on the team it doesn't mean that he needs to be benched or played just as bad as anyone on the team. It just means that he didn't have the type of game where he singlehandedly altered the outcome - and newsflash for some people - Pulisic has those games all the fucking time. So does every player in our pool right now. 

I'm not coming after you or even overly defending Pulisic as I'm plenty fine calling it like it is for any player on this team. Frankly - I don't think he's our best player right now. But Weston McKennie isn't as popular and doesn't get as many clicks. I'm just tired of seeing people all over the internet - including journalists for major networks - consistently make every poor performance about one or two players when the actual issues are much deeper and frankly at an organizational level. 

We don't have a players or talent or Christian Pulisic issue. Thomas Tuchel is pretty comfortable playing CP all over the pitch for huge stretches at a time for one of the best clubs in the world - whether he's scoring goals or putting in incredible performances or not. We have a dipshit manager issue and it's highlighted by not putting players in a position to succeed or help with their confidence, not putting the right players in the game, and having a general lack of awareness and competence that should be expected of any manager in the world at this level. 

This is exactly correct. He was a middling mls coach (zero trophies, won 38% of his games) who thinks he is the smartest guy in every room and is totally out of his depth. 

Our game plans comprise of a bunch of ponderous possession with the end hope that “Pulisic can do something” on offense and “hope Tyler Adams cleans everything up” on defense. It’s laughable. We started 5 guys who are starters (I know Pulisic and Dest may not qualify) for Champions League squads and lost to Larim, Buchanan, David and 8 guys named Gord.

National team football is not club. It’s about establishing an identity and implementing simple tactics in short windows that put your best players in positions to succeed. Does anyone think we are doing that?

Remember when Greg started and wanted to play Tyler Adams at rb and run everything through him? Fun times.

Edited by eljinca
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'm not coming after you or even overly defending Pulisic as I'm plenty fine calling it like it is for any player on this team. Frankly - I don't think he's our best player right now. But Weston McKennie isn't as popular and doesn't get as many clicks. I'm just tired of seeing people all over the internet - including journalists for major networks - consistently make every poor performance about one or two players when the actual issues are much deeper and frankly at an organizational level

I mean - something I haven't seen touched on anywhere in skimming through the after action stuff - we played the last 10 minutes of this match with 10 fucking players because Berhalter burned 5 subs by the 77' mark in a game that we were losing. We don't need Arriola and Morris and Reggie Cannon on the pitch that badly. 

aliens-bill-paxton.gif

In the end, the problem is still Gergg. The guy is clueless out there. And his decision making has been disastrous pretty much from day 1. Occasionally he gets it right and we win. Often he gets it wrong and we still win or draw. And occasionally he gets it wrong and we have inexplicable games like this one.

I just don't see our teams being set up for success on a game by game basis. And it's a glaring problem. One that will cost us big time in Qatar. I really don't see us making it out of the group stage with him in charge.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

40 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I would say that today was one of Christian’s better games in this cycle. He was a net positive. 

Our CDs were our weakest link today. 

I would love for the guys to play like Canada did on their first goal and I think that they easily have the talent to do it, but maybe we have to wait until December to see if we can sign Canada’s manager after the World Cup. 
🙏

As much as we crow about MLSers I thought we missed Zimmerman a lot today. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I would note because of the Panama win today, Canada can't clinch with a win on Wednesday. But a win (at El Salvador) plus Costa Rica dropping points (at Jamaica) will guarantee they can finish no lower than 4th.

The US can't clinch anything Wednesday. As bad as things feel today, a win against Honduras would really help out a lot, combined with a few other results, we would improve a lot:
First, the win would put us out of reach of Jamaica, regardless of their result
If El Salvador loses, we would be out of reach of them
And if Costa Rica drops points, it will put us within 2 (Costa Rica loss) or 3 points (Costa Rica tie) of guaranteeing 4th place.

Mexico is in a similar boat as us. HOWEVER, they are playing Panama who has a chance of jumping Mexico in the standings (and maybe the US). That's gotta be butt clenching.

Panama has a chance to change their fortunes with a win Wednesday, putting them in the driver's seat ahead of Mexico and maybe the US.

Costa Rica can put the fear of God into everyone with a win vs Jamaica.

Honduras was eliminated today (yay us?)

Jamaica is right on the edge of elimination, a loss, they are done, a tie and any Panama points eliminate them.

El Salvador's margin for error is getting super thin. A loss (vs Canada) would just about lock them out of automatic qualification.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

His poor goal kick essentially led to Canada's first goal. Of course, Miles Robinson's defending didn't help the situation.

I'm no Twellman honk, but he isn't wrong that Zardes has to be there for that ball. Turner starts the mess, but it didn't have to be a Canada goal if we do better on it.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, TXSG8R said:

This guy isn't wrong (I cued it up to the main point), watch about 90 seconds.

• Hook 'Em 1

"I think it was an entire team effort that was outstanding," Berhalter said. "We asked them to be dominant, we asked them to embrace the conditions, embrace the physicality of going and I think we did that and more.

"It's hard for me to remember a performance away from home this dominant without getting a result."

"They couldn't handle our physicality. That's plain and simple," Berhalter said. "We were running them all over the pitch and when you look at duels won, when you look at our pressing -- they had a very, very hard time dealing with what we were giving them."

According to ESPN Stats & Information, Canada won 50.7% of the duels in the game.

Fire that motherfucker for sounding like aggy. Fuck you. 2-0. Just admit the coaching staff and team need to do much better and show some goddamn accountability.