USMNT 2022

Napoleon

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Pushing the issue a bit. His corner delivery has been really good. 

Especially for him, because he sucks ass at set pieces. 

That being said, it hasn’t been “great”. No headers or shots on frame have come from his service. I don’t even know if shots OFF FRAME have come off of his service. 

great result. feels like we could have scored 5 tonight, but 1-0 is all we needed. i said when AR scored, "that's such a big goal, because the longer you knock on the door without getting in, the more it feels like it could be 'one of those nights'". glad we got the goal, and pumped we got the win. on to Canada!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

Costa Rica hosting Panama right now on Paramount Plus.  this is a big one.  if Panama wins, they're at 17 points.  tied with Mexico and only a point behind us.  would be huge if Costa Rica can get 3 points at home.  we need some separation from Panama.

Costa Rica just scored. 

39 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

Costa Rica hosting Panama right now on Paramount Plus.  this is a big one.  if Panama wins, they're at 17 points.  tied with Mexico and only a point behind us.  would be huge if Costa Rica can get 3 points at home.  we need some separation from Panama.

Massive. Even if Panama gets their result at home, with a trip to Azteca next week, they are going to be hurting. They could see only 3 points this window.

And with their next 2 games on the road, that might be the last points for Costa Rica this window. Root hard for this, because if this happens, and Jamaica drops anymore points, we lock up at worst 4th place with 4 more points.

• Hook 'Em 1

UGH - one thing I am not looking forward to now is the fact that Honduras is on the doorstep of being out. They can't drop points anymore and even then if the US and Mexico get points, that will do them in. Next Wed we might see them taking out frustrations of being KOed (or it could literally be the night they are knocked out).

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

UGH - one thing I am not looking forward to now is the fact that Honduras is on the doorstep of being out. They can't drop points anymore and even then if the US and Mexico get points, that will do them in. Next Wed we might see them taking out frustrations of being KOed (or it could literally be the night they are knocked out).

I think its going to be too cold for them to do that, plus I think they will be checked out already. We need a first half goal though and it will quickly unravel. 

I'm actually feeling pretty optimistic in Hamilton on Sunday. We should be able to track and contain Johnathon David and with no Davies defending their counter attack should be more than managable. Still they are well organized and we will be playing on turf, but after tonight I think they will be ready.  

45 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

I think its going to be too cold for them to do that, plus I think they will be checked out already. We need a first half goal though and it will quickly unravel. 

I'm actually feeling pretty optimistic in Hamilton on Sunday. We should be able to track and contain Johnathon David and with no Davies defending their counter attack should be more than managable. Still they are well organized and we will be playing on turf, but after tonight I think they will be ready.  

Maybe we see Ricardo Pepi start in place of his former FC Dallas mate, Jesus Ferreira?

• Hook 'Em 1

I didn't watch the game too closely because I got stuck working during the game but I came across some interesting stats after the game.

Pulisic was 0-10 in duels during the 1st half.  Almost unfathomably bad performance.  11 yanks podcast said that he was playing inside all game on top of Jesus who was playing as a false 9.  As a result, there was no space which made things easier for El Sal's blocks of 4.  

The xG was basically 3-0 so the performance wasn't as bad as some commentators are making it out to be.

Gregggg is clearly under pressure to play MLS guys.  Morris and Zardes as the subs instead of DLT and Pepi is questionable at best.

USSF was very lucky this game wasn't played 24 hours earlier when it was under 10 degrees and windy instead of the relatively balmy 30 and calm last night.  The weather could be a negative factor for us in Minnesota.

30 minutes ago, alincoln said:

Gregggg is clearly under pressure to play MLS guys.  Morris and Zardes as the subs instead of DLT and Pepi is questionable at best.

While I’m sympathetic to this argument there is no way DLT is replacing a wing. I could see with a 2-0 lead where DLT instead of Acosta replaces Musah. Don’t think the coach trusts him yet but I’m still open to see if there is evidence of pro Msl conspiracy. 

One of the English broadcasters mentioned early this week the he thinks that pulisic has never recovered the speed he had before the hamstring injury against arsenal in 2020. Back then he was on the verge of being a world class player. That makes sense to me because he was really good then. He’s had moments since but not consistent quality. Confidence is huge too and something is up when he couldn’t outrun that Liverpool defender on a dead heat to the ball.  Going from tuchel yo-yoing him to ggg’s poor offensive strategy hasn’t helped.  ggg is a bad offensive coach at the international level. No idea how he was in mls. 

16 minutes ago, dogbreath said:

While I’m sympathetic to this argument there is no way DLT is replacing a wing. I could see with a 2-0 lead where DLT instead of Acosta replaces Musah. Don’t think the coach trusts him yet but I’m still open to see if there is evidence of pro Msl conspiracy. 

Bah, @alincoln nails it. When you go further along and realize that MLS players haven't played meaningful games in months (Zardes - Nov 7, Morris - Nov 23), while European based players are in form right now, it's pretty obvious that there is some thing going on for Gergg to play MLSers.

BTW, who thinks we are going to play for a fucking tie on Sunday? I would not be shocked to see us have a 0-0 draw. We can settle for a draw, but our goal should be 3 points. if we can win Sunday, we all but punch our ticket for Qatar.

I really thought we played well enough that game just could not convert. The right side of the attack looked very well in sync - Dest and Weah complimented each other nicely. The left flank was really disjointed - it was like neither ARob nor CP10 was cognizant the other one was there. 

MMA midfield did work, especially the M's. McKennie was MotM for me. Musah was great, especially in the 2H. Adams was a bit shaky but every time he did something stupid, he quickly did something that reminded us all of why he's so important. Even small things like sniffing out a counter off a corner and stopping it quickly, just quintessential Adams kind of work.

CP10 needs to figure it out. It's like he's lost all sense of what made him great - wide positions, darting runs. He's never been particularly effective in the middle of the pitch but that's where we keep seeing him for club and country. Part of that is thanks to Tuchel's system he's been stuck in. He needs to get out of Chelsea fast and find a system that actually uses wingers and not just wing backs.

Lastly - the weather. It was 30 degrees. These guys play across Europe where 30 degrees isn't anything that crazy. Most overblown storyline of the night by far.

Our midfield was/is extremely strong and deep. MMA is the most talented midfield in CONCACAF although for a big single game I'd still favor the experience of Guardado and Hererra. I wish Musah's club played him centrally, but in a year, that trio will should be even more formidable. Would love to see Busio get more the squad as he's getting real time in Serie A for a bad Venezia team (so is Tanner Tessman, who's only 20 and a physical beast when I've watched their games).

Acosta is great as a veteran sub that can cover DM and full-back and I can understand Roldan and Lleget as experienced pros to close out a game, but there's zero reason for Zardes, Morris or Arriola on the squad other than to include MLS-ers. I can't fathom thinking Zyardes gives you more than Sargent, Dike (hurt for a while), Pefok, or frankly Jozy. I'd take all of those guys over Ferreira too. I guess Zardes was Greg's guy in Columbus, so we'll always get him on the squad. He plays hard and holds up play well, so that's something.

One of Morris or Arriola will be replaced with Gio when he's back to full health, but we have such depth on the wing I can't see why those two are there. I hope Hoppe gets back to his Schalke form and finds some time with Mallorca cause he adds a totally different dimension than other options at wide F.