USMNT 2022

Napoleon

40 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Leeds is hopelessly in love with this guy. Going to be sad when he gets bought.

It kind of demonstrates what was said a few months back by others when I posted that video of Jack Graelish not knowing how to read a map. American soccer players have gone through some level of education than what most European soccer players go through, even if just finishing high school. This combined with a topic that clearly hits close to home allows him to give this some though even when answering in the moment.

I love Tyler Adams and he gave a more thoughtful response than most athletes would have, especially being put on the spot by a journalist who clearly had an axe to grind. But that's still like a 6/10 answer if we're not grading on a curve.

Sure but why in the hell would he say the truth “yeah we have serious problems facing black Americans and Americans of color in general but let’s look at Ee-rahn or Qatar by contrast and they are killing people by the boat load and sports washing all of it!”

I don’t think that’s the time or place for TA to go there.

That’s for the brass and people in power, not a kid getting to captain his countries national team.

18 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Fuck that reporter. Go Tyler. Go USA.

Eh. USSF put the team is a really bad spot with their flag crap. They should have stayed out of the fray, instead they did something that really didn't go over the way they thought and put the players and coaches in a bad spot.

Edited by Captain Ron
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

USSF put the team is a really bad spot with their flag crap. They should have stayed out of the fray, instead they did something that really didn't go over the way they thought and put the players and coaches in a bad spot.

This. We have a tournament game where we need a win, and anything that distracts from that should not be on the agenda.

I am no fan of the Iran government, but all that USSF should have to do with that is claiming all 3 points tomorrow.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Although we have been wrong a lot…

I feel like Gio or Ferreira will start at the striker position and then the other one will come in as the sub if we still need a goal(s) late in the game. 

Most, but not all, of the player selections have made sense so far, with the exception of not seeing Gio. 

I think that Gregg and his assistants have planned out each match and there has been a desire to keep Gio from being studied. (Maybe this is more hopeful that analytical.)

I think that there has been a game plan for each group stage match. That explains Ream’s, Sargent’s, and Wright’s selections.

Since Iran just needs a draw to advance, they will sit back. This would be a great match for Graham Zusi to curl in 40 yard crosses onto Brian McBride’s head, but that isn’t a club that we have in our bag this tournament. Pepi would be nice to have here, but I don’t know where he would get service unless Kellyn Acosta started at RB.

So having Gio play a 10 with the winger’s racing in behind the back line would be the most effective way to attack a (predicted) low block.

2 hours ago, kingkoopa6 said:

fo sho. 

he ballin ballin..

if he can score a banger- i see him headed to back to Germany.. like bayern or  some shyt

Javier Mascherano didn’t go to Barcelona until he was 26 and that was after 3 years at Liverpool, and he still didn’t seem like a good #6 fit at that point because he wasn’t a passer yet. (However he was Messi’s buddy and he had just captained Argentina’s 2010 World Cup squad and had been one of the 3 overage players for Argentina’s 2008 Olympic Gold Medal team.)

Masche eventually became a center back at 5’7”, something only possible at Barcelona or a La Liga minnow.

Bayern already have Kimmich playing in the 6 position, but he has the skills to have the ball and create… a larger Philipp Lahm. Tyler isn’t there yet and may never be. He will need another 2-3 years of adjusting to the pace of the Premier League and getting comfortable with controlling rocketed passing with fractions of a second to control the ball and move or to make a perfectly weighted one-touch pass to a small target before he is ready for a bigger club relying on  the 6 in the attack on the Champions League level. 

Tyler is smart, fast, and fearless, but his doesn’t yet have the technique to be more than a destroyer at a top club.

That said, Mashe was the ultimate destroyer in Argentina’s 2014 magical World Cup run to the final.

TLDR summary:
*Think of the skill gap between Casemiro and Tyler. Tyler is a much smaller player, but faster at this point. When Tyler’s skills get closer to a declining Casemiro’s current skill level, he will be ready for a top club.*

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Speedtrucker said:

Sure but why in the hell would he say the truth “yeah we have serious problems facing black Americans and Americans of color in general but let’s look at Ee-rahn or Qatar by contrast and they are killing people by the boat load and sports washing all of it!”

I don’t think that’s the time or place for TA to go there.

That’s for the brass and people in power, not a kid getting to captain his countries national team.

Or perhaps he’s lived in enough places to say that as frustrating as things in America can be, they are better than most other places he’s been and we at least have some modicum of law and ideals that attempts to provide a path. We’re not perfect and never have been, but we’re a far cry from having to stop matches and other events do to hooliganism and other idiocy.     

that’ll be all on this subject.  

Was thinking about this earlier, thought I’d throw it out to the group.

if/when the US wins a world cup, is it more likely to be a miracle run from a team rated similarly to this one, or will it be a more methodical plod where the team climbs the rankings and slowly advances further until it is one of the favorites?

9 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

if/when the US wins a world cup, is it more likely to be a miracle run from a team rated similarly to this one, or will it be a more methodical plod where the team climbs the rankings and slowly advances further until it is one of the favorites?

The latter. When is the last time someone snuck up and won a World Cup? Only team I can think of that came close to that is France in 2006. 

1 hour ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

After running 8 miles you could see yunus had nothing left to give and adams falling over is something. Dudes left everything on the fieldRDT_20221130_2112174429568729349473951.thumb.jpg.4664f6875d17b41c51ef16296e0eba38.jpg

Yunus turned 20 on Tuesday too.

He’s all Muslim & shit, ergo  he doesn’t drink alcohol (or eat bacon), so I hope that team got him a…

4-hand massage given by a couple of whores.

🤘

Welcome to adulthood, Yunus!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I’ll say former. Structurally USSF is always going to suffer because of their best players being across the pond.  We lose time in camp on international breaks waiting for guys to be released. Our mix of MLS guys and internationals are always in different form because of the different season timings. I think that will always lend itself to a mixed bag which will keep our rating roughly where we are now.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TXSG8R said:

Structurally USSF is always going to suffer because of their best players being across the pond.  We lose time in camp on international breaks waiting for guys to be released. Our mix of MLS guys and internationals are always in different form because of the different season timings.

What does this even mean?

All of these guys play year round. And every league schedules around international breaks. It isn't like MLB vs. Venezuelan winter league. 

Edited by ztejas

27 minutes ago, ztejas said:

What does this even mean?

All of these guys play year round. And every league schedules around international breaks. It isn't like MLB vs. Venezuelan winter league. 

MLS plays Feb-Oct, most international leagues are Aug-May.  I think guys that are mid season are in a different form than guys coming off their break. We are always missing internationals during stuff like gold cup, so their time together in camp is impacted. MLS guys get more time in camp, which I think gets them some outsized trust and playing time with GGG.  

3 hours ago, TXSG8R said:

MLS plays Feb-Oct, most international leagues are Aug-May.  I think guys that are mid season are in a different form than guys coming off their break. We are always missing internationals during stuff like gold cup, so their time together in camp is impacted. MLS guys get more time in camp, which I think gets them some outsized trust and playing time with GGG.  

This is a fundamental misunderstanding of how the FIFA calendar, release rules and a ton of other things work.

Our European based players miss no time in our national team camps, except when our NT holds camps that are specifically for MLS players (like the one that took place after the MLS season ended). This last year or two has been way compressed due to the COVID and a lot of dates being lost. But that's cut time for everyone.

We miss internationals during tournaments like the Gold Cup etc not because we can't get them, but because we choose to not have them there. We could have easily fielded a team at the Gold Cup that was basically our World Cup roster as a tune up, but we let them rest instead.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, RamjetFDO said:

I have thought since the moment it happened that the knee smashed into the top of the pelvis or just below and to the outside of it.

So many blood vessels in that area that he is going to look like drunk tattoo artist with Parkinson’s tried to tattoo a group of 4 or five rotten bananas in that area over the next few days. 

I can’t imagine that it would be healthy to play with that much bruising even if he can tolerate the pain. (And it sounds like he feels pain with even the slightest movement right now.)

6 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

That's a terrible explanation. But if this is the worst thing he does during the WC and Gio does get significant run against ze Dutch then I guess I can live with it (I'm not holding my breath there, though). 

I would have liked him to get more experience. He will potentially be our best player in 2026. 

Edited by ztejas

4 hours ago, ztejas said:

That's a terrible explanation. But if this is the worst thing he does during the WC and Gio does get significant run against ze Dutch then I guess I can live with it (I'm not holding my breath there, though). 

I would have liked him to get more experience. He will potentially be our best player in 2026. 

I think it's a perfectly reasonable explanation that also doesn't really address the problem. When Zimmerman and Moore subbed on against Iran, putting in Reyna would have been the wrong choice and not at all fit the game situation. If they were being cautious with Reyna having some tightness earlier in the week, not putting in Reyna for the last 5 minutes again Wales also makes sense. Reyna played against England but didn't come on until the 83rd minute.

The real problem being that the subs took too long against both Wales and England. For Iran, subbing Reyna on instead of Acosta to replace Weston (and shifting Aaronson into Weston's spot) would have likely been better.

40 minutes ago, goatsaag said:

I think it's a perfectly reasonable explanation that also doesn't really address the problem. When Zimmerman and Moore subbed on against Iran, putting in Reyna would have been the wrong choice and not at all fit the game situation. If they were being cautious with Reyna having some tightness earlier in the week, not putting in Reyna for the last 5 minutes again Wales also makes sense. Reyna played against England but didn't come on until the 83rd minute.

The real problem being that the subs took too long against both Wales and England. For Iran, subbing Reyna on instead of Acosta to replace Weston (and shifting Aaronson into Weston's spot) would have likely been better.

I'm sure he went with Wright because of his height to help defend set pieces. In hindsight we could have used someone who can posses the ball. Assuming we don't see Wright again I'll let it go as a lesson learned.  I'm not holding my breath, but I hope he's been using Reyna sparingly to make sure he's fit for the knock out rounds. 

I think a lot of this stuff kind of shows what GGG doesn't get about tactics. He doesn't really understand how to get the most out of his roster. This goes beyond Gio, not even lining up our team in the best ways - this has been outlined a lot about how we could utilize a lot of our MF better, like Adams and Musah. But also his in game changes have been questionable too.

The guy gets the defensive half of the game, but once the ball crosses midfield, his tactics are just have a counter or cross it incessantly. 

• Like 1