winning time: the rise of the lakers dynasty. hbo in march.

henrygandorf

8 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

What We Do in the Shadows, Futurama, and this are my only shows.

Early advertising may have made it seem like we were getting a Magic Johnson biopic.

Instead, we are getting a Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Norm Nixon, Paul Westhead, Pat Riley, Jeannie Bus, Jerry West, Jerry Bus, Claire Rothman, Red Auerbach, Bill Sharman, Paula Abdul, and Jack McKinney biopic, with a touch of Chick Hearn and Jerry Tarkanian.

And they really need to bring back Paula Abdul in the second season.

Thanks for reminding me that there are new episodes of Futurama and WWDITS out there. Now I got 3 stories to follow 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

What We Do in the Shadows, Futurama, and this are my only shows.

Early advertising may have made it seem like we were getting a Magic Johnson biopic.

Instead, we are getting a Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Norm Nixon, Paul Westhead, Pat Riley, Jeannie Bus, Jerry West, Jerry Bus, Claire Rothman, Red Auerbach, Bill Sharman, Paula Abdul, and Jack McKinney biopic, with a touch of Chick Hearn and Jerry Tarkanian.

And they really need to bring back Paula Abdul in the second season.

I’m wondering if they get into the Kobi and Shack era. That would be fun just based on the little bit I’ve read about it 

33 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

That era of the Pistons would be suspended from today’s NBA.  As a team.  For attempted murder.

This thread had me watching Larry Bird clips this afternoon. When the Celtics and Pistons were playing, Chief had had enough of laimbeer being the shitbag he was, and punches were thrown, with big Bill left bleeding from his mouth stopping a punch from Parrish.  The (current)commentators even said it was amazing nobody was thrown out. Hell, no foul was even called.  

Edited by slorch

9 minutes ago, slorch said:

This thread had me watching Larry Bird clips this afternoon. When the Celtics and Pistons were playing, Chief had had enough of laimbeer being the shitbag he was, and punches were thrown, with big Bill left bleeding from his mouth stopping a punch from Parrish.  The (current)commentators even said it was amazing nobody was thrown out. Hell, no foul was even called.  

God, I miss that NBA. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, mr. sunshine said:

I’ve developed a bit of a Gaby Hoffman thing. The executive wardrobe can’t cover up that rocking bod. So sexy 

The actress doesn't do anything for me, but that character sort of does. 

She could choke on my hot dog, if you know what I mean. 

3 hours ago, slorch said:

dana-carvey-grumpy-old-man.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

We will be lucky to get into Jordan and the Pistons.

In a recent episode, there was a college game (Indiana vs ???) on and I want to say they were mentioning Isiah Thomas.  Magic and he were really tight.  Of course, they played one another in the championship on 2 occasions splitting the 2.

Also, throw in the controversy regarding Thomas and Rodman's quotes about Bird.  Basically, if he (Bird) was black, he would be just another ball player.  This caused a rift between Johnson and Thomas.  

It could happen.

15 minutes ago, veritas aequitas said:

This show just keeps sticking it. The acting, the cinematography and the sound track all just feel perfect. It really makes me miss the 80's NBA and really just the 80's.

Was that Christian Slater as Nicholson?

Also, I always liked Rambis, but I really like the version in the show.

On 8/22/2023 at 4:34 PM, mr. sunshine said:

I’m wondering if they get into the Kobi and Shack era. That would be fun just based on the little bit I’ve read about it 

Fuck that. End it with the last Celtics-Lakers meeting in the Finals.

God I love this show. The 80's was the absolute greatest decade of basketball and this show captures it very well. I love Reilly as Buss and Brody is terrific as Riley. I'm a Segel fan in real life but as y'all have said, his Paul Westhead is easy to hate.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 8/22/2023 at 12:36 PM, Deej said:

LOL I love that clip of Barkley talking about drinking with Bird so much... 

"One thing you don't ever wanna do is drink beer with Larrah Burd.... Larrah Burd only drinks Buttwesah beer... it's the strongest beer in the world..."

Edited by oSuJeff97

4 hours ago, C-Man said:

Fuck that. End it with the last Celtics-Lakers meeting in the Finals.

God I love this show. The 80's was the absolute greatest decade of basketball and this show captures it very well. I love Reilly as Buss and Brody is terrific as Riley. I'm a Segel fan in real life but as y'all have said, his Paul Westhead is easy to hate.

So you wouldn’t be interested in Pistons story line as mentioned above, much less the actors they get to portray Thomas, Laimbeer, etal? C’mon man 

27 minutes ago, mr. sunshine said:

So you wouldn’t be interested in Pistons story line as mentioned above, much less the actors they get to portray Thomas, Laimbeer, etal? C’mon man 

No, I don't think it will be all that compelling in all honesty. Part of this is the vintage blend of the late 70's into the 80's and the magic (pun not intended) of the Celtics-Lakers/Bird-Magic rivalry of that period of time. Save the Pistons and the rest for 30 for 30's and what-not.

21 hours ago, bullzak said:

Cant wait to see the whole emergence of Alpha Dog Pat Riley kicking some ass. Going to be awesome. 

Brody is great casting there. 

I'm down for it evolving into a Pat Riley series if it somehow went that way - I never really cared about Riley when I watched the NBA - he was coaching teams that I didn't root for, but yeah, Brody's portrayal is making me look up Riley stories.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yep one thing they are really driving home is that Riley really understood that the NBA is about the "stars." 

Yes, he was the coach, but he was also going to be sure and get the input of the best and most important player on his team vs. the old mentality of "I'm the coach so you do what I say."

I'm sure the old guard didn't like that because they saw it as "deferring the players" but Riley saw it as a partnership because they were all professionals trying to win - so you do everything you can to make that happen.

Edited by oSuJeff97
  • Hook 'Em 1

I don't know how much of that stuff between Westhead and Riley is bullshit, but I think most of it. I don't think there was ever much of a rift between them. I don't think Westhead was ever that bad and unlikeable of a guy. These portrayals are not easy to reconcile with reality. In that vein, I am interested to see how they treat Westhead getting fired and the press conference where Buss names both West and Riley as coach. That thing was an actual clusterfuck in real life that they don't need to embellish. 

A couple of other things:

1. I loved how they ended the episode on that cliffhanger. Can't wait to see if Magic gets traded this Sunday night. 
2. Not only would I watch this series through the bad boys and Magic getting the HIV.... I would be pretty stoked if they carried it out through Kobe and Shaq. That was waaaaaaay more actual drama than anything that was going on in the early 80s. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I'm down for it evolving into a Pat Riley series if it somehow went that way - I never really cared about Riley when I watched the NBA - he was coaching teams that I didn't root for, but yeah, Brody's portrayal is making me look up Riley stories.

Beneath that GQ exterior Riley was a killer and so were his teams. Broke my spirit as a Mavs fan in the 80s

• Hook 'Em 1