Star Wars - Ahsoka

UT_OB1

12 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

And, as much as I love seeing live action, I do kind of wish they had done this in animation so that they could put out more content. eight episodes just leaves you wishing for more.

I do agree, but once Disney got their grubby hands on Star Wars and introduced a live action TV show via Mando, it was always going to be live action.  Sometimes it is good, sometimes it is not.  

Overall, this was a great series (season?) for me.  Pacing was kind of off during 3-5, but 6-8 was magnificent. 

Oh how I wish they could have had the foresight to scrap BoBF and pour all that money and time into making Ahsoka 10-12 episodes. 

Edited by Js1
  • Like 2

I really liked the series. It ended like how all Filoni's previous Rebels seasons ended.

The highlight for me is how he treated post Return of the Jedi Anakin. All we knew of him was that he was a mean dude who killed children and Jedi. With this series, Anakin's character is still growing, but now as a force of the Lightside. 

I'm interested to see where Filoni takes Jedis and Jedi teaching going forward. He gets to tell the story of how Jedis will find their way after the disasters of losing their way.

Also very interested to see where Filoni takes the Mortis Gods story. 

The Thrawn story line is intriguing but I know he's going to die so ehhh. I'm more interested in how he's going to expand and grow the SW universe and the Jedi.

Edited by crash_davis

Agreed. Can Liev pull off an English accent?

I think the beauty of Filoni heading this thing up is he can retcon the galaxy and events leading up to the sequels to fit his story just like Lucas did with the prequels. I almost wonder if we'll see a retcon of the Battle of Jakku moving to the Thrawn era timeline now. That would be a great way to have an epic ending of the Imperial remnants. The only places you saw the battle play out was in books and a video game. All things that can be quickly tossed out. We know the circle that Gideon was speaking with were all waiting for Thrawn's return. Then maybe it makes more sense how the First Order was able to pop up undetected since the people in power thought everyone from the Empire days were gone. Then again, there's no real way to make the sequels not suck and unlazy.

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 1

Maybe I'm nitpicking here but the scene where the two tie fighters got within visual range of the Ahsokas ship was lazy witting. 

Why didn't their scanners pick them up, why didn't Ezra or Ahsoka not "sense" danger and we've seen that ship take hits from tie fighters over the multiple series and never sustain that kind of damage before. Just seemed odd as did the fight with Morgan

The series was really good overall and I'm curious to see where Filoni takes it but Rosario is really showing Ahsokas age in light saber fights

42 minutes ago, Smax said:

Maybe I'm nitpicking here but the scene where the two tie fighters got within visual range of the Ahsokas ship was lazy witting. 

Why didn't their scanners pick them up, why didn't Ezra or Ahsoka not "sense" danger and we've seen that ship take hits from tie fighters over the multiple series and never sustain that kind of damage before. Just seemed odd as did the fight with Morgan

The series was really good overall and I'm curious to see where Filoni takes it but Rosario is really showing Ahsokas age in light saber fights

It’s a loooooooong Star Wars tradition that Force powers are used as the plot dictates.

Best just to understand that and go with it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Smax said:

That ship was getting the shit beat out of it inside the Purrgill graveyard, finally makes it down to the planet while being pursued by fighters, and probably did not have enough time to repair anything extensively before they got attacked again by the tie fighters.

21 hours ago, Viper said:

I think I'm here too. Ray killed it but he's not some untouchable legend in an iconic role. 

Amy Schumer No GIF by Saturday Night Live

20 hours ago, Levi said:

Each episode has been a tiny bit depressing each time Baylan is on screen. Just knowing he won’t be around for season 2 sucks. And now that the season is over and we end with him going on a journey, more than likely alone, makes me even more sad. We’ll see where the character goes in season 2 but it won’t ever be the same. 

Yep.  Very sad.  For kids it'll be like Dumbledore being replaced, but fuck, Ray is just a perfect Star Wars villain, and so much better than Kylo.

21 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Why don’t the dozens of stormtroopers just shoot at the same time so not all blasts get blocked?

I always wondered why they didn't give them all shotguns, but hey....maybe proximity detonating grenades ala Elysium, etc.  

tumblr_p5ccrmdF2Q1ut1d6co3_540.gif

Edited by BabaYaga

10 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

This is the last I will pick at it.

Watch the first episode of Mando.

Then watch any episode of Ahsoka.

Okay. Well one is a space western and the other is the typical space opera that's been the bulk of the Star Wars franchise so.....

• Hook 'Em 4

11 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

This is the last I will pick at it.

Watch the first episode of Mando.

Then watch any episode of Ahsoka.

This is a preference thing.

Mando leans heavily into the "Western" influence of Star Wars (John Ford movies,etc.), while Ashoka leans heavily into the "fantasy" references/elements (Lord of the Rings, Dune, etc.) of Star Wars.

It's fine if you prefer the former, but it doesn't mean the latter is "bad" for those of us who enjoy that aspect of the show.

For a "bad" example of the latter, see the Obi-wan show. For that matter, for a "bad" version of the former, see Book of Boba Fett.

In fact, I think it's pretty awesome that we can get three distinct types of Star Wars, and they all kick fucking ass when done well:

• Western / samurai adventure stuff (Faverau)
  • Fantasy / Space Wizard stuff (Filoni)
  • Gritty / real / political stuff (Gilroy)
Edited by oSuJeff97
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

In fact, I think it's pretty awesome that we can get three distinct types of Star Wars, and they all kick fucking ass when done well:

This. I really hate when a franchise has multiple shows with different themes, influences and styles and fans compare and contrast them and trash the ones they don’t like bc it’s not “as good” as the one they prefer. (SW and Star Trek, mostly)

There’s something for everyone and it’s never been a better time to be a fan of either with the amount of content we are getting. 

• Hook 'Em 1

They still haven’t answered where Ahsoka was during Eps. 4-6 when old Luke could’ve used some help from a Jedi master. I thought we might get a backstory to justify her absence. 

I’m intrigued what was in Thrawn’s cargo and the plan on Dathomir. Most of you know that’s where the Night Sister’s resurrected Maul. Maybe this is Filoni explaining the “somehow” that Palpatine returned?

We talk about filler episodes, this was a filler series. The only thing that really happened was they brought Thrawn and Ezra back to the story and now they can continue.

Cool new villain with different motives! What’s he up to? Don’t know.

Hey they keep showing all this cargo being loaded up on Thrawn’s ship, what is it? Not gonna tell you.

I wonder how they are going to get Ahsoka et al back from that other galaxy. It was a weird choice to strand them there, it now feels like all those characters don’t matter. It took ten years to get Thrawn back.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

We talk about filler episodes, this was a filler series. The only thing that really happened was they brought Thrawn and Ezra back to the story and now they can continue.

Cool new villain with different motives! What’s he up to? Don’t know.

Hey they keep showing all this cargo being loaded up on Thrawn’s ship, what is it? Not gonna tell you.

I wonder how they are going to get Ahsoka et al back from that other galaxy. It was a weird choice to strand them there, it now feels like all those characters don’t matter. It took ten years to get Thrawn back.

I'm not sure we have the same definition of what "filler" is 

4 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

They will spend the first 4 episodes of the next season getting them home instead of wrapping it up here and moving on to more interesting storylines with Thrawn, formation of First Order, etc. i.e. more filler, less FUCK YEAH!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Murfdogg21 said:

They will spend the first 4 episodes of the next season getting them home instead of wrapping it up here and moving on to more interesting storylines with Thrawn, formation of First Order, etc. i.e. more filler, less FUCK YEAH!

Yeah, they can't possibly do 2 storylines at once.  That would be impossible and so unlike anything any show has ever done. 

11 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

They still haven’t answered where Ahsoka was during Eps. 4-6 when old Luke could’ve used some help from a Jedi master. I thought we might get a backstory to justify her absence. 

I’m intrigued what was in Thrawn’s cargo and the plan on Dathomir. Most of you know that’s where the Night Sister’s resurrected Maul. Maybe this is Filoni explaining the “somehow” that Palpatine returned?

On the first point, it seems pretty clear to me - Ashoka was traumatized by finding out that Anakin had become Vader ... so much so that she didn't trust herself to either train Sabine or get involved in the Galactic Civil War for fear of losing either her apprentice (or herself) to the Dark Side. That's pretty much was her character arc was about in first half of this series prior to her spiritual awakening in her World Between Words meeting with Force ghost/Force memory Anakin when she became "Ashoka the White."

The Palpatine returning stuff may or may not be related to Nightsister magic but the cargo is almost certainly corpses of dead Stormtroopers that will be re-animated by the Nightsisters on Dathomir.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

The Palpatine returning stuff may or may not be related to Nightsister magic but the cargo is almost certainly corpses of dead Stormtroopers that will be re-animated by the Nightsisters on Dathomir.

How did I miss this.  Good catch

47 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

The Palpatine returning stuff may or may not be related to Nightsister magic but the cargo is almost certainly corpses of dead Dathomiri that will be re-animated by the Nightsisters on Dathomir.

Also Ezra knows where Sabine and Hera are, he'll just ask a purrgil to take him there

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

I think they're actually hibernating night sisters who stayed behind while the rest went to dathomir. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Macklemore said:

Purrgil only travel one way to Peridea to die. There is no return trip possible unless I’m mistaken.

You are mistaken. How do you think they night sisters got to the main SW galaxy in the first place thousands of years ago?  Did you not see all the Purgil jump away from Peridea when the mines started blowing up?

Edited by UT_OB1
  • Like 1