Star Wars - Ahsoka

UT_OB1

• 2 months later...

Bryce Dallas-Howard has thoughts on Star Wars.

https://www.romper.com/entertainment/bryce-dallas-howard-easter-traditions-mandalorian

BDH: Yeah. So, Dave Filoni, he knows Star Wars better than anyone other than George, and he was taught by George when he was doing all of the Clone Wars because they did that together. And we worked together on Mandalorian.

H: I love Clone Wars. It’s my favorite.

BDH: Without giving anything away, you are going to love the Ahsoka show that's coming up. I cannot tell you anything, but what I can say is that you being a fan of the Clone Wars will be greatly rewarded

And holy shit, she's basically been around Star Wars in some form or fashion her whole life.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Ahsoka in CW is badass, especially the series finale where she fought Maul. Ahsoka in non-cartoon is not so badass. Here's to hoping they are able to translate her cartoon abilities to this series.

The CW series finale 4 parter is legit some of the best Star Wars content - period. Fantastic writing and gorgeous animation. I can't wait to see what BDH does with the Ahsoka series

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

This right here. The last four episodes of Clone Wars is probably the best Star Wars content ever made. I put Rebels above Clone Wars before it came out because of the tighter storyline, but the impact of of those episodes hits you in the feels in such a way that is hard to describe. It's worth watching the entirety of the Clone Wars just for the final payoff, filler and all.

I just can’t get into the cartoons man. 

I get that. They are kinda tough to get in to. But the payoff is great. Watch an episode each night of Rebels (it's a little easier to get into) for a couple of weeks and you will realize what you have been missing out on pretty soon. There's a reason fans of the cartoons hold Dave Filoni in such high regard. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

There's a reason fans of the cartoons hold Dave Filoni in such high regard. 

this is so true.  as a kid, Star Wars was my world.  I was about 9 or 10 when RoTJ came out and was a huge fan.  I thought the same about cartoons, but I got into Clone Wars so easy and then wow, it just pulls you in.  Rebels overall was better than CW, but Ahsoka is just brilliance in CW and that is pretty much all Filoni.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Captainant said:

The CW series finale 4 parter is legit some of the best Star Wars content - period. Fantastic writing and gorgeous animation. I can't wait to see what BDH does with the Ahsoka series

Don't forget the music. It really captured the tone and atmosphere of the 4 part finale! 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Honestly, you could pick up everything you'd need from context clues. It's the end of several story arcs all at the same time and has quite a few touch points with other star wars lore.

Not to spoil anything (because it's the climax of the prequels) but the order 66 activation and aftermath is really something else.

If you've got a bored evening I can't recommend it more highly. It's not exactly written for kids lol

• Hook 'Em 2

Honestly, you could pick up everything you'd need from context clues. It's the end of several story arcs all at the same time and has quite a few touch points with other star wars lore.

Not to spoil anything (because it's the climax of the prequels) but the order 66 activation and aftermath is really something else.

If you've got a bored evening I can't recommend it more highly. It's not exactly written for kids lol

8 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

The Clone Wars movie is worth skipping.  But the series starts out pretty odd looking due to the animation, but after a few episodes it is easy enough to access.  I missed out on most of the original run of both series because I just wasn't interested in watching a cartoon at first.   It is not at all like the Samurai Jedi content they put on Disney+ which is worth skipping.   There is some real story telling in CW/Rebels series and the final seasons get you in the feels, especially the final series of CW.   You get kind of attached to Ashoka and the relationship she has to the Order, Anakin, and the bond between Anakin/Kenobi.  You know how that ends but watching the back story puts it into perspective that helps the prequels so much.  The dummy droids are a little silly and kid-ish but the story and much of the later series is questionable for kids.   Troopers going insane due to the chip malfunction.   A look at the relationship between the clones and the Jedi.  A look into the relationship between the clones themselves and how they see themselves and the world around them.  The diversity among the clones themselves as they try to carve out an individual identity and yet that is contrasted by how they see their fellow clones as brothers and are affectionate towards each other.  We see them age, suffer, rebel.   It really adds so much more depth to the stories that Lucas and Filoni wanted to tell.    With Ashoka you watch her grow as a padawan into a young woman.  You see Anikin as a good, passionate, caring, wreckless, protective, self-sacrificing character, who makes mistakes and then recovers, grows and matures especially when he takes on his own student and responsibility.    It makes his fall to the dark side meaningful in a way the movies just do not.  

• Hook 'Em 5

12 minutes ago, Nivek said:

The Clone Wars movie is worth skipping.  But the series starts out pretty odd looking due to the animation, but after a few episodes it is easy enough to access.  I missed out on most of the original run of both series because I just wasn't interested in watching a cartoon at first.   It is not at all like the Samurai Jedi content they put on Disney+ which is worth skipping.   There is some real story telling in CW/Rebels series and the final seasons get you in the feels, especially the final series of CW.   You get kind of attached to Ashoka and the relationship she has to the Order, Anakin, and the bond between Anakin/Kenobi.  You know how that ends but watching the back story puts it into perspective that helps the prequels so much.  The dummy droids are a little silly and kid-ish but the story and much of the later series is questionable for kids.   Troopers going insane due to the chip malfunction.   A look at the relationship between the clones and the Jedi.  A look into the relationship between the clones themselves and how they see themselves and the world around them.  The diversity among the clones themselves as they try to carve out an individual identity and yet that is contrasted by how they see their fellow clones as brothers and are affectionate towards each other.  We see them age, suffer, rebel.   It really adds so much more depth to the stories that Lucas and Filoni wanted to tell.    With Ashoka you watch her grow as a padawan into a young woman.  You see Anikin as a good, passionate, caring, wreckless, protective, self-sacrificing character, who makes mistakes and then recovers, grows and matures especially when he takes on his own student and responsibility.    It makes his fall to the dark side meaningful in a way the movies just do not.  

There was a 2-4 episode arc where the clone troopers were laying siege on some planet. There was a Jedi that they were laying the ground work for a dark turn, and he treated the soldiers like fodder. Lots of questioning of command chain, clones dropping left and right, questions whether they were human with a right to live essentially.  Very dark for a kids cartoon. Was not sure it was appropriate for my (at the time) 4 and 6 year old. We forged ahead though. Getting them ready for the opening scene of saving private Ryan. 

There is a CW episode guide out there somewhere that does a pretty good job of telling you which episodes to skip. It also recommends only watching the opening battle scene of the Clone Wars movie and then turning it off, which is what I did. It’s a good scene and introduces Ahsoka for the first time. It’s remarkable to look back on her entire arc from that opening scene through CW, Rebels, and Mando.

1 hour ago, UT_OB1 said:

There was a 2-4 episode arc where the clone troopers were laying siege on some planet. There was a Jedi that they were laying the ground work for a dark turn, and he treated the soldiers like fodder. Lots of questioning of command chain, clones dropping left and right, questions whether they were human with a right to live essentially.  Very dark for a kids cartoon. Was not sure it was appropriate for my (at the time) 4 and 6 year old. We forged ahead though. Getting them ready for the opening scene of saving private Ryan. 

Yeah, I always thought that had fallen to the darkside but since the Sith were basically thought to be extinct he was either just a solo guy or under the spell of Palpatine.  

2 hours ago, Nivek said:

Yeah, I always thought that had fallen to the darkside but since the Sith were basically thought to be extinct he was either just a solo guy or under the spell of Palpatine.  

It was explored in the EU, but a Jedi doesn’t have to be Sith to be a bad guy. If you only know the movies, that’s all you think. But it makes sense from a story telling perspective to not make everything black and white and expand the possibilities as that expands the stories you can tell

Edited by UT_OB1

4 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

There is a CW episode guide out there somewhere that does a pretty good job of telling you which episodes to skip. It also recommends only watching the opening battle scene of the Clone Wars movie and then turning it off, which is what I did. It’s a good scene and introduces Ahsoka for the first time. It’s remarkable to look back on her entire arc from that opening scene through CW, Rebels, and Mando.

https://i.imgur.com/suvAMuY.jpeg

Tried to embed this picture, but this might be the guide you were talking about.

Edited by Pablo
tried to embed
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Suck it up and watch the last 4 episodes of CW. It really is the best minute-for-minute content of Star Wars. 

On 4/19/2022 at 1:26 PM, crash_davis said:

Ahsoka in CW is badass, especially the series finale where she fought Maul. Ahsoka in non-cartoon is not so badass. Here's to hoping they are able to translate her cartoon abilities to this series.

Agreed. You can blame Rosario for having a different voice, but her attitude and mannerisms are a lot different from how she was just a few years earlier in Rebels. Live action Ahsoka so far has me worried about a Ep 7-9 level let down. 

Live action Ahsoka sucked when she had a hard time in The Mando series against that lady with the beskar spear. Bitch, please. This is a badass who took down Maul. She'd have no problems with a non-Sith JAG with a beskar spear. I'm showing my dorkiness but I was thinking the fuck kinda Ahsoka did I just watch? Did she get regarded and forget how to use the force?

In the same vein, the Mandalorians in the CW and Rebels cartoons were mega bad asses especially with the jet suits. Live action no where near captured how bad ass they were. I guess that's the difference between using real stunts and wirelines vs drawing what you want. I've always said that SWs and the Jedi/Sith stories are better suited for cartoons/anime. The fight scene between Maul and Ahsoka was extraordinary. The kicker was the actual fight was filmed using real people. It was then drawn over that amazing scenery. You simply cannot have that fight scene in live action.

And those of you who don't watch cartoons just because they are cartoons are missing out on great, well written, deep content. Avatar the Last Airbender is a kids show but the themes, story lines and character development are complex and better than 90% of live action movies. It is damn hard to name a better character redemption arc of any movie or series than what Zuko went through in that series.

• Hook 'Em 2

57 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Live action Ahsoka sucked when she had a hard time in The Mando series against that lady with the beskar spear. Bitch, please. This is a badass who took down Maul. She'd have no problems with a non-Sith JAG with a beskar spear. I'm showing my dorkiness but I was thinking the fuck kinda Ahsoka did I just watch? Did she get regarded and forget how to use the force?

In the same vein, the Mandalorians in the CW and Rebels cartoons were mega bad asses especially with the jet suits. Live action no where near captured how bad ass they were. I guess that's the difference between using real stunts and wirelines vs drawing what you want. I've always said that SWs and the Jedi/Sith stories are better suited for cartoons/anime. The fight scene between Maul and Ahsoka was extraordinary. The kicker was the actual fight was filmed using real people. It was then drawn over that amazing scenery. You simply cannot have that fight scene in live action.

People need to get over the fact that the cartoons are exaggerated versions of everything.

You can't have the live action versions of the characters doing the same thing as the animated characters because it would be "too cartoony" along the lines of what you're talking about above.

Live action Ashoka was plenty bad-ass. Just re-watch the cold open of that episode when she was crushing all of the goons.  She didn't immediately dispatch the woman with the spear because she was wanting to get information out of her. She was never in danger of "losing."

• Hook 'Em 2

16 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Season 1 was a bit of a slog for me, then it took off, as if Filoni started making a Star Wars show instead of a children's SW show.

8 hours ago, Nivek said:

This.  Some of the best SW content and storylines came out of Clone Wars.  

7 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

This guide is pretty good. Even the filler arcs, the ones marked as non-essential, serve to build up the characters. As for season seven... the last four episodes taken as a 2hr movie would rank #2 behind ESB.  Incredible content, even more so if you invested to time to watch the entire series.  

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

People need to get over the fact that the cartoons are exaggerated versions of everything.

You can't have the live action versions of the characters doing the same thing as the animated characters because it would be "too cartoony" along the lines of what you're talking about above.

Live action Ashoka was plenty bad-ass. Just re-watch the cold open of that episode when she was crushing all of the goons.  She didn't immediately dispatch the woman with the spear because she was wanting to get information out of her. She was never in danger of "losing."

Plus, during the era in which the Clone Wars/Rebels cartoons were in their prime (minus the last 4 eps of CW), there was no way they would have ever had the budget and FX technology to pull off live-action versions of those shows.  

6 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Darth Vader was pretty bad ass in Rogue One. Luke was bad ass in Mando Season 2 finale. Darth Maul was bad ass way back in 1999. Ahsoka could have just used the force to pick up that lady and pull the spear away. If she was just stalling for info, the lady wouldn’t have knocked one of her light sabers away. Hopefully she’s closer to Rebels level Ahsoka in her upcoming appearances. Also not being a sour puss and noncommittal all the time. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Darth Vader was pretty bad ass in Rogue One. Luke was bad ass in Mando Season 2 finale. Darth Maul was bad ass way back in 1999. Ahsoka could have just used the force to pick up that lady and pull the spear away. If she was just stalling for info, the lady wouldn’t have knocked one of her light sabers away. Hopefully she’s closer to Rebels level Ahsoka in her upcoming appearances. Also not being a sour puss and noncommittal all the time. 

This post is why I have grown to hate Star Wars.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

It was explored in the EU, but a Jedi doesn’t have to be Sith to be a bad guy. If you only know the movies, that’s all you think. But it makes sense from a story telling perspective to not make everything black and white and expand the possibilities as that expands the stories you can tell

Well, But Dooku fell into that category to a degree.  He was aligned with Palpatine but he didn't get the Sith eyes and he didn't have Sith motivations if I understand it correctly.  

2 hours ago, Nivek said:

Well, But Dooku fell into that category to a degree.  He was aligned with Palpatine but he didn't get the Sith eyes and he didn't have Sith motivations if I understand it correctly.  

You mean Daryh Tyranus? 😅. He was Sith. 

• 3 weeks later...

This has been floating around the Youtubes for awhile now but I just now watched it tonight. (probably because of it’s run time)

And I must say that I immediately thought of this thread (and others) in which people have asked for condensed versions of the cartoons and ways to get up to speed on all the new shows. Even tho it’s long, it’s very well done.

And second, it’s amazing how much we see art imitating life in these stories - especially regarding corrupt governments and power.

We often like to think of our art as an escape from our realities but most often than not it is a mirror.

How Liberty Dies: The Politics of Star Wars

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BluTechsan said:

This has been floating around the Youtubes for awhile now but I just now watched it tonight. (probably because of it’s run time)

And I must say that I immediately thought of this thread (and others) in which people have asked for condensed versions of the cartoons and ways to get up to speed on all the new shows. Even tho it’s long, it’s very well done.

And second, it’s amazing how much we see art imitating life in these stories - especially regarding corrupt governments and power.

We often like to think of our art as an escape from our realities but most often than not it is a mirror.

How Liberty Dies: The Politics of Star Wars

Well George Lucas was pretty overtly political in Star Wars from the very beginning, from the Empire being pretty clear stand-ins for Nazis to the ground battle on Endor being a metaphor for Vietnam.

The entire prequel trilogy was about how a democracy can be subverted to become an authoritarian regime.  Say what you will about Lucas' ability to write realistic dialog, but the man always had big/interesting ideas.

I still think the prequels were so very close to being amazing. If only he had taken his approach that he took on Empire/ROTJ and let someone else write the scripts and direct based on his ideas.

This was what J.J. Abrams and crew missed about the sequel trilogy. It should have been the inverse of the prequels, in that it should have shown how a thriving democracy gets threatened by an external force (Separatists, First Order, whatever) but can fight back those forces and remain a thriving democracy with the right leadership (Leia, Luke).

• Hook 'Em 2

• 3 weeks later...

Sabine confirmed

https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/star-wars/23145870/star-wars-sabine-wren-live-action-casting-ahsoka

The latest addition to the show’s cast is Natasha Liu Bordizzo (The Society), who will play Mandalorian Sabine Wren in the series, Lucasfilm announced at Star Wars Celebration 2022. She will be joined by Rosario Dawson as Ahsoka and many more unannounced cast members when the show is released in 2023.

While the general public will have to wait to see the Ahsoka footage, IGN was in attendance and can share that it begins with Ahsoka on the bridge of the Ghost and she is joined by Hera Syndulla, although we only see her from the back. We also get what appears to be a live-action recreation of the final scene of Star Wars Rebels and get a look at Sabine Wren from the back looking at a mural that includes an illustrated Ezra Bridger.