Austin Weirdos

MaybeACoordinator

Unaffiliated minor league team to debut in June against the Weimar Hormigas in Pecos League competition. Alpine is the other Texas team in this league, which also has teams in a strange mix of cities including former big-time minor league towns like Tucson, Colorado Springs, and Bakersfield and then places like Weimar, Wasco CA, and Garden City, Kansas.

The Weirdos will play at Zaragoza Park in Austin. 

243239506_105897805190420_81851777086808

Home jersey:

243284963_105829775197223_34180189100318

Alternate jersey:

268566469_133255235788010_52469246329497

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

Sheeeyit, twice when I was in school, UDub won the Nor-Pac, then went down to LA and beat U$C for the Pac-10 baseball championship.

I remember when Stanford came in to town, Sunday morning they announced the tourney sites, and the Huskies punched them out for the Pac 10 north autobid.

I suspect you've been to more games at Graves Field than I have.  (1)

Edited by petscii

29 minutes ago, petscii said:

I remember when Stanford came in to town, Sunday morning they announced the tourney sites, and the Huskies punched them out for the Pac 10 north autobid.

I suspect you've been to more games at Graves Field than I have.  (1)

When I first got there, they gave the Pac-South the autobid and there were no games between the North and the South.  Then a couple of years later of complaining, they decided to have the North and South champs play for the autobid.  It wasn't till after I left that they kicked out UoP, PSU, and Gonzaga, and had the whole conference play a round-robin.  

3 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Weimar has an awesome old baseball stadium.

Yeah. Veterans Park. Definitely a classic. Played a few times there in high school…and then beer league softball, I think.

this article made me smile.

https://www.victoriaadvocate.com/advosports/sports/highschool/on-sports-babe-ruth-world-series-returning-to-weimar/article_0fb5750f-7350-5889-890d-af31fa763082.html

[quote]I met the late Al Kasparek, Weimar's Mr. Baseball, at the park and he never failed to introduce to me his friends, many of whom would sit in lawn chairs lined up against the fence behind home plate.

I watched Al's grandson, Kenn, pitch at the stadium before going on to be part of a national championship team at the University of Texas.

I remember cramming into the stands behind home plate before the press box was expanded to watch Yoakum's Randy Boone and La Grange's Homer Bailey pitch in a playoff game.

Bailey's stuff looked unhittable, but somehow B.J. Boening drove two balls over the fence to lead Yoakum to a win[/quote]

Edited by UTexasFight
  • Hook 'Em 1

Csb: In OOTP 21 I made a full 28 team fictional MLB league, with a 3 level minor league system. I picked the cities and thought of names for all the MLB teams & most of the minors. One MLB team was the Dallas Desperados (AFL nod), and I named their AA affiliate the Austin Weirdos. 

My other ones I’m proud of:

Chicago Mob

New York Night Angels

St Louis Loons

Henderson High Rollers (Vegas AAA team)

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Csb: In OOTP 21 I made a full 28 team fictional MLB league, with a 3 level minor league system. I picked the cities and thought of names for all the MLB teams & most of the minors. One MLB team was the Dallas Desperados (AFL nod), and I named their AA affiliate the Austin Weirdos. 

Chicago Mob

New York Night Angels

St Louis Loons

No one cares. 

• Haha 4

15 hours ago, Helobious said:

Chicago Mob

New York Night Angels

St Louis Loons

Should be Chicago Outfit 

On 2/14/2022 at 12:13 PM, MaybeACoordinator said:

Unaffiliated minor league team to debut in June against the Weimar Hormigas in Pecos League competition. Alpine is the other Texas team in this league, which also has teams in a strange mix of cities including former big-time minor league towns like Tucson, Colorado Springs, and Bakersfield and then places like Weimar, Wasco CA, and Garden City, Kansas.

The Weirdos will play at Zaragoza Park in Austin. 

243239506_105897805190420_81851777086808

Home jersey:

243284963_105829775197223_34180189100318

Alternate jersey:

268566469_133255235788010_52469246329497

A minor league team is playing at goza? I hope they did a lot of renovations and hired some security. Although if you haven’t had a burger at a game there you’re missing out on one of the best in Austin.

• 1 year later...
45 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Seriously, if someone can throw even in the low 80s, how can you not get some pop ups or ground outs off that to keep the ERA lower? I don't even know if a batting tee would have an ERA of 18. 

Here are the full standings, and you can see the elevation effect on ERA/BA across divisions:

image.thumb.png.f244ffd62e9e6854aa911f5d5fc9cf2f.png