Australian swimmer killed in shark attack

Hate

A swimmer was killed during an attack by a Great White shark just off the beach in Sydney.  It was the first fatal shark attack in Sydney in nearly 60 years.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/science/animals/horrific-video-shows-moment-swimmer-eaten-by-shark-at-sydney-beach/news-story/79498e02332a7053db1d7d6c354e472e

A video has captured the horrific moment a swimmer was killed by a shark at a popular Sydney beach.

The city was rocked by its first fatal shark attack in almost 60 years after the attack at Little Bay on Wednesday.

Human remains were found by rescuers about 6pm, almost an hour-and-a-half after a fisherman first reported a person in the water had been attacked and dragged under by a shark.

Terrifying video footage showed the moment the shark struck.

“Someone just got eaten by a shark,” the man recording the video can be heard yelling, adding it was a “big great white”.

Huge splashes can be seen with the water in the area turning red and birds circling above.

“That’s insane,” the man added, filming from a rock ledge where people were fishing.

Another woman yelled “oh my god … what the f***?” in disbelief.

“The person is still there,” the man then added.

Emergency services were called to the area near Buchan Point, Malabar, after receiving a report that a shark attacked a swimmer in the water just after 4.30pm on Wednesday.

Authorities then located human remains in the water and closed off Little Bay Beach, according to NSW Police.

“Footage clearly shows a body, half a body being taken by a shark,” a police officer had told colleagues over a scanner.

“They have found some remains.”

A NSW Ambulance spokeswoman said: “Unfortunately this person had suffered catastrophic injuries and there wasn’t a lot paramedics could do when we arrived.”

A witness, who was fishing off rocks on the point, said the swimmer was right in front of him when they were dragged under the water.

“It was terrible. I am shaking,” he told ABC. “I keep vomiting. It’s very, very upsetting.

Randwick Council announced on Wednesday night that Malabar, Maroubra, Coogee, Clovelly and La Perouse beaches would also be closed for 24 hours while council lifeguards looked for any further sightings of sharks.

Dozens of people were swimming and paddle boarding at Little Bay Beach at the time of the attack.

It is the first fatality from a shark attack in Sydney since 1963.

Randwick Mayor Dylan Parker said the community was in shock.

“To lose someone to a shark attack like this is chilling. We are all in shock,” he said.

“Our entire community’s hearts go out to the family of the victim.”

Police will liaise with the Department of Primary Industry to investigate the circumstances surrounding the death of the swimmer.

A report will be prepared for the Coroner.

The attack on Wednesday comes after a 20-year-old woman was bitten by a great white shark on the other side of the country just over a week ago.

Jacquelin Morley was paddling in an inflatable pool ring offshore at Kelp Beds Beach in Esperance, Western Australia when the 3 metre shark sunk its teeth into her.

The young swimmer is lucky to be alive after the horror attack

She managed to swim to shore where locals tended to her before she was flown to hospital in Perth.

4 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

That is awful.

That link is useless.  WARNING GRAPHIC DISTURBING CONTENT.  Then its completely blurred out.  Whats the point?  pay for clicks I guess.  SMH

and no I don't really want to see it all that much.  I just don't get the sensationalism.

Yeah thought the same thing, nothing graphic about half the screen blurred out 

5 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

There are ways to die, and there are ways you don’t want to die.  And shark attack is about the worst way I can imagine.

I have horrible visions of dying that way.

You could just not swim in the ocean. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

There are ways to die, and there are ways you don’t want to die.  And shark attack is about the worst way I can imagine.

Honestly, wouldn't make for a great story for your family though?    You want to go out with a stroke or a car accident or get killed by a shark.   Think about it.

• Hook 'Em 3

22 minutes ago, Deej said:

You could just not swim in the ocean. 

I don’t have that kind of abject fear, but I can tell you the beach we swim at, two Thanksgivings ago there was a 12-15 foot great white shark named Mary pinging 8’ offshore where we swim in the Summer. There’s shark tagging research group that’s tags them and has an FB page.  I think it’s OSearch or something similar.

There are a lot of bull sharks in those waters, and there have been more than a couple incidents along that beach the last 5-10 years.

It doesn’t keep me out of the surf, but I do pick and choose times of the day to stay out.

sharks freak me out a bit, yeah.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I saw the unedited vid. No idea why it’s blurred out in the OP, you never even see the person in the unedited video. Just a red spot in the water. I do wonder how the swimmer got out there, that looks like rough water to be swimming in. 

Probably training for Iron Man or something.  

58 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I think seeing Jaws when it came out traumatized me as a little kid to the point where I have never felt comfortable in ocean water, especially if it's as ugly as the Gulf of Mexico. Always creeps me out thinking about the beasts that live under the water, along with the dumb invertebrates that just exist to sting the shit out of you. 

But I still rate bear attack as a worse way to die than a shark attack because an encounter with an angry bear is not gonna end well and they usually go for the kill and you're likely to have your head in its mouth as the bear crunches down on you. 

Also, being burned alive would have to be my #1 worst way to die.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

I think seeing Jaws when it came out traumatized me as a little kid to the point where I have never felt comfortable in ocean water, especially if it's as ugly as the Gulf of Mexico. Always creeps me out thinking about the beasts that live under the water, along with the dumb invertebrates that just exist to sting the shit out of you. 

But I still rate bear attack as a worse way to die than a shark attack because an encounter with an angry bear is not gonna end well and they usually go for the kill and you're likely to have your head in its mouth as the bear crunches down on you. 

I think a shark attack, you just bleed out.  Bears eat you ass first while you are still alive.  100% on burning.  No thanks.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I don’t have that kind of abject fear, but I can tell you the beach we swim at, two Thanksgivings ago there was a 12-15 foot great white shark named Mary pinging 8’ offshore where we swim in the Summer. There’s shark tagging research group that’s tags them and has an FB page.  I think it’s OSearch or something similar.

There are a lot of bull sharks in those waters, and there have been more than a couple incidents along that beach the last 5-10 years.

It doesn’t keep me out of the surf, but I do pick and choose times of the day to stay out.

I'm not sure sharks freak you out that much if you willingly swim somewhere with multiple recent shark incidents and a known great white lurking in the surf. 

40 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I know you are in Virginia so I have to assume it is near Amity Island.

Shark week mentioned an increase in seals along the eastern seaboard as well as an increase in great white sightings. When I lived in Capitola near Santa Cruz California, the fiance of a girl who I worked with was in physical therapy for over a year after being bitten by a 15 footer. I know attacks are very rare, but with one hitting close to home, I just didn't have a big desire to surf in the cold waters.

8 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Yep seeing  JAWS when it was first released as a kid ?  Nobo0dy wanted to go in the water that Summer, kids and adults.

You have a great list of horrific ways to die. So with death by bear add Lion, and Tigers...  (oh my).  Being burned alive is going to be the worst......... that is until you pass out from the pain of course.

Just now, ztejas said:

I'm not sure sharks freak you out that much if you willingly swim somewhere with multiple recent shark incidents and a known great white lurking in the surf. 

Again, not freaked out to the point of phobia. I just have vivid images of shark attacks (first release of JAWS generation as well), and they are savage as fuck looking.  Bears are just as bad, but I'm not not going in the woods.

3 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yep seeing  JAWS when it was first released as a kid ?  Nobo0dy wanted to go in the water that Summer, kids and adults.

You have a great list of horrific ways to die. So with death by bear add Lion, and Tigers...  (oh my).  Being burned alive is going to be the worst......... that is until you pass out from the pain of course.

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/sausage-factory-worker-dies-falling-meat-grinder-article-1.158975

Michael Raper, 26, reportedly endured two hours of unimaginable agony Tuesday while co-workers mounted a frantic effort to extract him from the machine.

2 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I know you are in Virginia so I have to assume it is near Amity Island.

Shark week mentioned an increase in seals along the eastern seaboard as well as an increase in great white sightings. When I lived in Capitola near Santa Cruz California, the fiance of a girl who I worked with was in physical therapy for over a year after being bitten by a 15 footer. I know attacks are very rare, but with one hitting close to home, I just didn't have a big desire to surf in the cold waters.

It's all Amityville in waiting during the Summer.........  isn't it ??

Standing on the beach, and looking just 8' off shore, knowing a 12 footer was there 3 months before was creepy.

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

I think a shark attack, you just bleed out.  Bears eat you ass first while you are still alive.  100% on burning.  No thanks.  

Yep, or you drown first. It would definitely suck and be terrifying but sharks aren't looking to eat/kill you the way an angry or hungry bear is if you come across one at the wrong time. 

My wife was camping in NoCal many years ago with her ex-bf and they were awakened in the middle of the night by a sound outside of their tent. She didn't know what the noise was, opened the tent slowly and looked right into the face of a big brown bear no more than five feet from her. Fortunately some campers nearby heard the bear activity (there was one other as well) and came running out with a bear horn and scared them off. She says it was probably the most terrifying moment of her life.

Just now, Incredulity said:

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/sausage-factory-worker-dies-falling-meat-grinder-article-1.158975

Michael Raper, 26, reportedly endured two hours of unimaginable agony Tuesday while co-workers mounted a frantic effort to extract him from the machine.

Gotta love Surly... people spending time on the internet finding more and more horrid ways to die .. just for the laughs........ 

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

tim.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

We had the cleaning lady die in the press at that dry cleaner on South Congress some time back. That seems like it wouldn't have been too pleasant. 

I would have thought shark attacks in Australia would have been a lot more than reported below.  

Also, given the Florida breakdown and the number of people that visit places like Destin, Miami Beach, etc... that is pretty light too. 

https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/shark-attacks/yearly-worldwide-summary/  

2021 Breakdown

Country Total Fatal
USA 47 1
Australia 12 3
Brazil 3 1
Canada 1 0
Ecuador 1 0
New Caledonia 2 2
New Zealand 3 1
South Africa 3 1
St. Kitts and Nevis 1 0
Worldwide 73 9

US Breakdown

U.S. State Total Fatal
Florida 28 0
Hawaii 6 0
California 3 1
South Carolina 4 0
North Carolina 3 0
Georgia 2 0
Maryland 1 0
Total Cases 47 1

5 minutes ago, Deej said:

Too many other animals that can kill you in Australia. Sharks have a lot of competition there. 

Reminds me of 'Crocodile Hunter' and he did a show about the 10 deadliest snakes in Australia.  Handled all but 1 or 2 or 3 of them because a bite would mean pretty much instant death.  What really got me is that he found 1 or two (less deadlier) of them on his property.

11 minutes ago, BlueGreySky said:

Well I've had enough internet for the day.  Did that not make it as a thread on TOS? I don't even remember hearing about that on the news.  Horrific. 

I think most posters would have thought if a thread with "Nutty Putty" in the title wasn't in NSAA then it wasn't worth viewing. 

• Like 1