Australian swimmer killed in shark attack

Hate

3 hours ago, Macanudo said:

Honestly, wouldn't make for a great story for your family though?    You want to go out with a stroke or a car accident or get killed by a shark.   Think about it.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror, like the passengers in his car.”

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, DaggerHorns said:

Holding a phone taking a video without any conscience to maybe call authorities. 

What a world we live in…

….definitely should’ve held the camera sideways to get a full landscape ocean shot.

I would imagine there was an element of shock and the horrible realization that there was no helping that poor soul.  For whatever reason, it looked like that shark wanted that swimmer for dinner.  It didn't appear to be a case of mistaken identity as so many shark bites seem to be.  I'm guessing that they could see what we couldn't and that was the person was essentially bitten in half.  There wasn't much to be done. 

15 minutes ago, Hate said:

I would imagine there was an element of shock and the horrible realization that there was no helping that poor soul.  For whatever reason, it looked like that shark wanted that swimmer for dinner.  It didn't appear to be a case of mistaken identity as so many shark bites seem to be.  I'm guessing that they could see what we couldn't and that was the person was essentially bitten in half.  There wasn't much to be done. 

Part of my comment was a joke and I know there wasn’t much to be done.

I feel good knowing that my entire life I will never have held a phone/camera in my hand while someone dies. I’ll be more focused on attempting to help in some way, shape or form.

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, Deej said:

"Was" the Grizzly Man.

I remember that doc getting a lot of hype when it came out, but I never saw it.  I knew the gist, but I just assumed he was a photographer/documentarian who got very unlucky.  I just went down a mini rabbit hole on him and what a nut.  The most surprising thing is that it didn't happen sooner.

7 hours ago, Helobious said:

I saw the unedited vid. No idea why it’s blurred out in the OP, you never even see the person in the unedited video. Just a red spot in the water. I do wonder how the swimmer got out there, that looks like rough water to be swimming in. 

link?

nevermind, saw it.

Edited by Sbbruin

8 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

There are ways to die, and there are ways you don’t want to die.  And shark attack is about the worst way I can imagine.

I have horrible visions of dying that way.

There are much worse ways.  From a pain standpoint, you would go into shock so fast you likely wouldn't feel much, and in this case, bleed out almost immediately.

Edited by Sbbruin

LA Times article/video on the presence of great whites near SoCal beaches. Terrifying
https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2021-05-04/spying-on-california-great-white-sharks-with-drones

The real issue is these great whites that come up close to the beach are juvenile sharks and are just starting to distinguish what is prey and what is not. They pretty much go after anything they think they can get. It wouldn’t be so bad but these juveniles are like 10 plus footers.

3 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

There are much worse ways.  From a pain standpoint, you would go into shock so fast you likely wouldn't feel much, and in this case, bleed out almost immediately.

If yer lucky. There may be worse ways, but death by a savage shark attack just freaks me out a bit. Leave me my nightmares intact.

4 hours ago, DaggerHorns said:

Holding a phone taking a video without any conscience to maybe call authorities. 

What a world we live in…

….definitely should’ve held the camera sideways to get a full landscape ocean shot.

dude got chomped in half. 

i guess the dude could've called 911 and said, "hurry up and get here before the shark eats the other half!"

I follow this guy on youtube (he's likely referenced in that LA times article above (paywalled fo me).  He films (mostly juvenile) white sharks in California.  Most people have no idea how close they come to big sharks, and the sharks seem to give zero fucks about people.  Little consolation for the dude in Sydney though.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Foosters said:

LA Times article/video on the presence of great whites near SoCal beaches. Terrifying

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2021-05-04/spying-on-california-great-white-sharks-with-drones

Yeah, a lot more sightings it seems in recent years.  There hasn’t been a fatal SoCal shark for about 15 years (a couple in Santa Barbara 10 years ago or so).  The man in the white coat is always lurking…

14 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I don’t have that kind of abject fear, but I can tell you the beach we swim at, two Thanksgivings ago there was a 12-15 foot great white shark named Mary pinging 8’ offshore where we swim in the Summer. There’s shark tagging research group that’s tags them and has an FB page.  I think it’s OSearch or something similar.

There are a lot of bull sharks in those waters, and there have been more than a couple incidents along that beach the last 5-10 years.

It doesn’t keep me out of the surf, but I do pick and choose times of the day to stay out.

sharks freak me out a bit, yeah.

I went swimming with them in Hawaii for a couple of hours this past September. We did what the captain asked us to do and honestly it was an awesome experience free-swimming with them. I always try to remember when I am in the ocean that it is their territory I am intruding upon. I like to surf and just in general be in the ocean, but there’s no guarantees in life on anything. I will try to find the pictures the captain took while we were swimming.

When I tell people some of the things I have done in life that are considered dangerous I remind them that we all have an expiration date and I am not going to allow fear to dictate how I live until that time comes.

Edited by UpperWestside
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Yep seeing  JAWS when it was first released as a kid ?  Nobo0dy wanted to go in the water that Summer, kids and adults.

You have a great list of horrific ways to die. So with death by bear add Lion, and Tigers...  (oh my).  Being burned alive is going to be the worst......... that is until you pass out from the pain of course.

I heard this from my parents when they went to see jaws. This past weekend jaws 2 was on BBC so I flipped it on and secretly video taped my kids’ (6&3 YO) reactions to a couple deaths- the helicopter one and the one where the girl falls off boat, saves kid and “can’t get up”.

All i got was laughs

10 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I heard this from my parents when they went to see jaws. This past weekend jaws 2 was on BBC so I flipped it on and secretly video taped my kids’ (6&3 YO) reactions to a couple deaths- the helicopter one and the one where the girl falls off boat, saves kid and “can’t get up”.

All i got was laughs

Talk about bad sequels...yeah, that's about what I'd expect you'd get from kids today.   The sound track alone to JAWS is scarier than that badly made sequel.

4 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

When I tell people some of the things I have done in life that are considered dangerous I remind them that we all have an expiration date and I am not going to allow fear to dictate how I live until that time comes.

Fear is a natural survival mechanism.  Declining to swim with sharks isn't letting fear dictate my life.

• Hook 'Em 2