Inventing Anna

Prepuce of Doom

Fun little "based on a true story except for the shit we made up" show by Shonda Rhimes on Netflix about a young woman who conned NYC high society a few years ago. Stars Ruth from Ozark, the girl from My Girl (not Macaulay Culkin), Ders from Workaholics in a supporting role, and a few other familiar faces. 

Some of the secondary characters are painfully trite and can at times be nothing more than a clumsily transparent means of advancing the plot, and some of the scheming/intrigue falls apart upon scrutiny, but (at least after the 5-6 episodes we've seen) it's an otherwise enjoyable enough 9 episode show. Mrs. Doom likes it more than I do, but I am having fun with it too. 

I think that I remember hearing about the story back when it hit the news, but I have avoided looking anything up until we finish the show. 

Check it out. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom

2 hours ago, Smax said:

We started it last night, bugged me trying to figure out who the actress playing Anna was, couldn't place her at first then it clicked. Her accent is awful... mildly interesting but it needs to pick up the pace IMO (3 episodes in)

My wife knocked this out in a couple of days. I didn't watch any of it but would hear it in the background while reading. One thing I did notice was Garner's accent as Anna going in and out. I told my wife that it would drive me nuts to hear that for nine episodes. 

• Hook 'Em 1

here's the original article from the cut, which is the article the main character (chlumsky) is writing.  looks like they've updated it.  was a really good read back in the day and i got excited about the show(s) coming from it. 

https://www.thecut.com/article/how-anna-delvey-tricked-new-york.html

there's also a one-hour doc on one of the hbo max "generation hustle" (I think) series.  it was decent and mostly revolved around the morocco trip.

we're 7/9 and enjoying it, though shows like this give me anxiety.  garner is doing a great job, and by all accounts the real delvey's accent was a total mess.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The accent definitely presents some viewership challenges. 
But I have come to the conclusion that it's probably integral to the plot, or at least not accidental. 

Supposedly Anna had this weird affected semiRussian/German/French fairy accent with a high pitched voice. Julia Garner supposedly spent a ton of time with a dialect coach and some recordings to learn it. They never explained it, so I think they should have told her to speak a little less weird.

Woman was all excited to see this after reading the article on Anna.  Making me watch this disaster.  It's sort of one of those, everyone is horrible so you don't really care who she hurts or doesn't.  It's all the worst part of America's class system and making a movie about an imposter who lies, cheats, and steals to galavant around with these vapid people is even more silly.  Garner does a good job in inhabiting the role, but it's all about bad people behaving badly in the most boring of ways.... Even the woman admits it's not that great but she's pot committed.

1 hour ago, Texzilla58 said:

Supposedly Anna had this weird affected semiRussian/German/French fairy accent with a high pitched voice. Julia Garner supposedly spent a ton of time with a dialect coach and some recordings to learn it. They never explained it, so I think they should have told her to speak a little less weird.

I thought she was Irish at first. 

9 hours ago, Pablo said:

I haven't watched this one yet, but here is a pretty good explanation of how she came up with the accent.

i'm a big fan of hers, but do appreciate the JT memes in the Ozark thread, lol.

https://mashable.com/video/julia-garner-inventing-anna-accent

Well, that explains why the accent going in and out was so blatant. I never would have guessed that it was intentional but makes sense now. 

Only one ep in but I think I'd watch Julia Garner act in anything. The Fallon clip above is the first I've seen her outside of acting in film or tv. Never even seen a paparazzi shot or a random photo shoot. She was wearing a lot of makeup. I've always imagined her as sexy in a non-conventional way but on Fallon she looked like a traditional beautiful starlet. I find that both oddly depressing and reassuring. Looking forward to the rest of the series.

Wife got me watching it with here. I had read about the story, maybe listened to a podcast. Two episodes in, and it's been pretty good ... but does seems like not enough meet to make a series, might have been a better movie. Captain Obvious, but still can't wrap my head around the fact she was able to pull it off.

Watched it with the GF.

On 2/16/2022 at 10:58 AM, Smax said:

We started it last night, bugged me trying to figure out who the actress playing Anna was, couldn't place her at first then it clicked. Her accent is awful... mildly interesting but it needs to pick up the pace IMO (3 episodes in)

On 2/16/2022 at 1:23 PM, Prepuce of Doom said:

The accent definitely presents some viewership challenges. 

But I have come to the conclusion that it's probably integral to the plot, or at least not accidental. 

The accent reminded me of Jeremy Irons as Claus Von Bulow. 

• 1 month later...

Wife and I finally finished this last night. I remember reading the article HG linked back when it came out. Crazy, crazy story. We were already committed before I learned it was a Grey’s Anatomy creator joint. Oh well, it was entertaining.

One thing that bothered me a bit from the final episode. Why were all the old writers and Anna rooting for her to beat the charges. So fucking strange. And I get how Rachel finally “got over” but she went through tons and tons of shit after Anna stiffed her for $62K for the Morocco trip.

Found that very, very odd. Also, Spodek’s wife seemed a bit out of line at the end.

Finished it last night. Holy shit what a biatch. Completey melts down and shit talks you if she doesn't get her way. She needs help. 

Neff is regarded. 

Weird how Kacy turned on Rachel bc she "turned in her friend to cops" lol wtf.  She was conning you for flights and stalking your hotel lobby.  Same chic. If Morocco and aftermath of "the wire is on the way" really went down like that then she has a right to be pissed.  

Finale:  I honestly thought I missed an episode because Vivian was suddenly rooting for Anna to win? And so was her staff in office. Wtf. And Todd felt bad for her bc he is all she has?? Jeezus.  She cons everyone even if you know she is a con artist. Lol

Overall well done  

Real life Anna is not cute at all...not sure how she got by convincing any dudes.

• Hook 'Em 1

Finally finished it yesterday. We could only handle binging a couple episodes at a time on the weekends and skipped a few weeks here and there. Powered through the last 3 yesterday.

It was just too fucking long. I can't think of a character I cared about in the end. The obscenely rich being too stupid to figure out they were being duped vs the up and coming hustlers trying to carve out a niche while admiring what the con artists of all levels had was supposed to be a modern telling of the immigrant success story in America on what level? The decision to give so many characters/victims of her con their own episode resulted in wasted screen time.  I get the feeling the producers got a big budget from Netflix so they said "fuck it, we're going to shoot in Paris, Germany, Morocco, LA, etc." whether it really adds to the story or not.

The fact that we're living in a time when a plaintiff on trial for frauds which she was eventually found guilty of had her own Instagram account documenting what she wore to the trial is a testimony to how fucked we are.

In the end I think the only character I felt any sympathy for was Vivien's husband. What a miserable fucking existence that guy must've had throughout that slog.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 4/3/2022 at 10:24 AM, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Finally finished it yesterday. We could only handle binging a couple episodes at a time on the weekends and skipped a few weeks here and there. Powered through the last 3 yesterday.

I haven't made it through the full series yet. Stopped at ep 4 I think, may eventually go back...it's a bit wearisome waiting for her downfall. I'm admittedly a bit sick in the head but I think if she had been a man it's unlikely she would have spent much time in jail and she may well have gotten away with it.