Texas vs. tech - 11:30am on ABC

Pancho

2 minutes ago, Zuerst said:

Houston encompass a pretty big area... that's like saying all of America is land of obese and McDonalds.

I would personally prefer to live in Houston, Dallas, Austin...etc over Lubbock, because there* is more things to do and eat... cause I like to eat a lot

Straight up miss the restaurant options in H-town, because it’s among the best in the world.  

I don’t really care for LBK either, but college experience was awesome at Tech. 

4 minutes ago, Texas73 said:

Really? Name the two states with a bigger population than Texas. 

Just looked it up and you’re right. In my head it was California and New York. Now it’s just California….. ironically it’s those fucking Californians that has me not wanting to go back to Texas. Though that’s a CR topic

4 minutes ago, Tommy Shelby said:

It can’t just be the best for that person it has to somehow be objectively the best based on a fake metric. 

One being a small, homogenous city in the middle of nowhere and one being one of the largest, most diverse, most cosmopolitan cities in North America is not subjective. If you'd rather live in Lubbock power to you. That's your subjective opinion. Objectively there is no comparison to be made. 

(Nvm I think you're agreeing with me - I misinterpreted your comment)

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Poor coaching hires is why Texas hasn’t been successful. Hire a better football coach, give them the tools to be successful, and things will be fine. They’ve already got the right hires in most sports, including men’s basketball. Need to make a change in soccer and IMO football. Texas just beat Stanford in the overall athletic department trophy. First time anyone has in 20 years. The athletic department as a whole is doing great. 

The conference isn’t why Texas has been moribund in football and men’s basketball. That’s idiotic. But Texas being successful in football doesn’t make the Big 12 a great conference all of a sudden, either. It doesn’t have enough television sets, and the overall athletic department budgets lag behind the other big name conferences. Better to go to a deeper pocket conference and be a part of that group rather than be among a group of schools scared of the escalation in expenses in college athletics. 

The NCAA is in an existential crisis. Better to be ahead of this curve, especially given how hard it is to make a change navigating around the state legislature. 

It will be interesting to see if the NCAA can keep the men’s tournament long term, or if the Power 5/6 conferences make a play for it. 

Logical. This is a great case for making the move. It’s my UT friends who are justifying the move by pointing to the Big 12 as the source of their problems that has me scratching my head. 

• Like 1

Just now, ztejas said:

One being a small, homogenous city in the middle of nowhere and one being one of the largest, most diverse, most cosmopolitan cities in North America is not subjective. If you'd rather live in Lubbock power to you. That's your subjective opinion. Objectively there is no comparison to be made. 

I mean living amongst a ton of people whose laws may not allow you to live as you like isn’t everyone’s paradise. Especially with the rapidly growing ability to get everything delivered. 

I mean That person isn’t me, but I definitely know a lot of people that just want their land, objects and having to invite others over to their property to hunt etc. 

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

(Nvm I think you're agreeing with me - I misinterpreted your comment)

Houston isn't an awful city objectively but I'd rather jump off a bridge than live anywhere where it feels like I have to swim through the air 90% of the time. Humidity can suck my whole ass dick.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Honest question to a Tech fan and I want you to be as unbiased as possible.  A) why are you here & B) What exactly does Texas have to gain by continuing to play Tech? There’s no recruiting advantage, going to Lubbock isn’t a selling point for fans. There’s literally nothing gained. We can schedule a H&H but continuing the series seems pointless honestly 

A) Because Raider alum hate obnoxious UTshirt fans, UT entitlement, and they have a strong dislike of liberals and liberal cities.
B) Why would a Raider alum give a flying fuck about Whören gain? That’s just a dumb question. 
C) You didn’t ask, but someone else wondered why we are here. It’s simple, to piss off UTshirt fans. 
D) Please neg the fück outa me. Guns Up!

• Fuck You 11

42 minutes ago, Tommy Shelby said:

I didn’t say that Texas wasn’t elite. It just seems like the conferences y’all have been in were left worse off than when they started. Ran off a bunch of nationally recognized members so the conference would pander to you then head out. I mean it’s just like an infection. 

Salient points…no well thought out replies, just “fuck yous”.

• Fuck You 4

3 minutes ago, Shinesintx said:

Salient points…no well thought out replies, just “fuck yous”.

The timeline is

1) Texas asks about a conference channel. Gets told no. 
2) Texas asked aggy about a “lone star network.”  Aggy doesn’t want to spend the money 

3) Texas starts to make its own channel 

4) espn asks us if we would partner with them on a lhn. We say yes. It happens

5) everyone in the conference whines. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

Just now, Uncle Nate said:

Logical. This is a great case for making the move. It’s my UT friends who are justifying the move by pointing to the Big 12 as the source of their problems that has me scratching my head. 

Yeah, I can’t speak to any of that. Hire the right coach. Same with Tech. Shit is hard. The difference is Texas tends to have more options, and it’s less likely to lose a head coach to another program. But when Tech hires the right coach they’re very competitive. That has nothing to do with conference affiliation. 

My thing is that from a big picture perspective college athletics is in a sea change driven by money. The NCAA has been a clunky regulatory force overseeing too many disparate institutions, trying to cover them all with a one size fits all rule book. There are too many schools which have developed billion dollar value athletic enterprises under the auspices of a non profit higher education platform. There’s a lot of cognitive dissonance required for that. Texas is simply seeking an association with other member schools who have successfully navigated that cognitive dissonance and come out the other side saying, “This is fine.” Eventually my bet is those schools are going to form a tighter association. I’d rather see Texas do all they need to to be inside that circle before it forms, rather than fight for a seat after it’s occurred. With the move to the SEC that has happened. 

41 minutes ago, Tommy Shelby said:

By not running everyone off by making the longhorn network over a conference/Big12 network. It don’t make a shit now. 

If it wasn’t clear to folks that you don’t know what you’re talking about, this post helps clear it up because no.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Pancho said:

If it wasn’t clear to folks that you don’t know what you’re talking about, this post helps clear it up because no.

I’m so sorry for opening up this can of worms. Texas is the best most benevolent school in the country. They have never done anything wrong….except getting swept in basketball 😉

• Fuck You 3

59 minutes ago, Tommy Shelby said:

By not running everyone off by making the longhorn network over a conference/Big12 network. It don’t make a shit now. The big 12 might as well be CUSA. It’s why I’m glad tech is good at basketball you don’t need a good conference affiliation to get into the tourney. 

Yet you had no issue with Kansas keeping all their Tier 3  money with their basketball program. Go fuck yourself.

30 minutes ago, Tommy Shelby said:

I’m so sorry for opening up this can of worms. Texas is the best most benevolent school in the country. They have never done anything wrong….except getting swept in basketball 😉

There’s nothing wrong with getting swept as long as you’re headed in the right direction in the long term. Enjoy your future…

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

With Moody, hopefully the splitting up of season ticket priorities for gifts for Football Season Tickets and gifts for Basketball Season Tickets helps clean up part of the ticket mess for Texas Basketball attendance.

A lot of the tech fans in lower level today bought tickets from Texas Football fans that automatically received priority for Basketball tickets under old system and rarely attend basketball games...  that priority won't exist for the Football gift donors next year.

Are you sure they're separating bball and football? I thought they were just re-prioritizing based on over priority points. Which means a large football donor would now jump over long-time diehard bball supporters who have held onto their seats for 20 years without ever having to shell out big bucks

7 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Are you sure they're separating bball and football? I thought they were just re-prioritizing based on over priority points. Which means a large football donor would now jump over long-time diehard bball supporters who have held onto their seats for 20 years without ever having to shell out big bucks

The letter to donors says it’s going to take a separate donation. 

Here’s a non gated article about it, although it’s quoting Cedric Golden’s article for AAS. 

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Daily/Issues/2022/02/09/Colleges/Texas.aspx

Edited by SL Xpress

11 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

23min mark...  Decoupling of gifts -- have to buy priority seating for each one separately now.  So one for Football, and one for Basketball.

1 hour ago, Wally Pryor said:

Don't be dumb.

It has awful humidity. But as a city, it's great. 

When people say a large metropolitan city is awful, it's mostly because they couldn't afford the nice house in a nice neighborhood and things were more expensive than they were in smaller and shittier places they lived in. I heard people from Arkansas tell me California was awful. 😂

Edited by UTEE97
  • Hook 'Em 2

15 hours ago, TexArcher said:

On a good night, we can play with anyone in the tourney.  On a bad night, we can lose to anyone in the tourney.  There's just no telling what we're gonna get from these guys.

You just described like 70% of the teams in the tournament. College basketball is full of inconsistency outside of about 8 teams every year.

It’s why matchups are almost more important in March than the seed you have.

It's always fun to put things in perspective.

https://big12sports.com/news/2008/7/27/1524174.aspx

Overall NCAA Team Championships
By Big 12 Institutions (215)
(All sports played)
Texas  59
Oklahoma State 53
Oklahoma 38
West Virginia 19
Iowa State 18
Kansas 13
Baylor 7
TCU 7
Texas Tech 1

Edited by David Dennison

20 hours ago, Tommy Shelby said:

Same, just went elsewhere to do engineering. I shouldn’t have provided an avenue to academic smack on a sports board. I hate that shit. 

Wait what? Please name the school you went to that has a better engineering school. It sure as hell wasn’t Texas fucking Tech. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, David Dennison said:

(All sports played)
Texas  59
Oklahoma State 53
Oklahoma 38
West Virginia 19
Iowa State 18
Kansas 13
Baylor 7
TCU 7
Texas Tech 1

Why won’t Texas elevate the Big 12?!?!?!??

4 hours ago, David Dennison said:

(All sports played)
Texas  59
Oklahoma State 53
Oklahoma 38
West Virginia 19
Iowa State 18
Kansas 13
Baylor 7
TCU 7
Texas Tech 1

It’s telling that TCU has the same # of conf championships as Baylor - and has been in the conference 1/3 as long. And then there’s Tech…

1 minute ago, sasquatch69 said:

It’s telling that TCU has the same # of conf championships as Baylor - and has been in the conference 1/3 as long. And then there’s Tech…

Those are total national championships. It’s from the official Big 12 site:

The list is at the bottom. 

Oklahoma State has an absurd amount of NCAA championships in both wrestling and men’s golf. They have 10 total national championships since joining the Big 12. OU has 11. Texas has 23. 

Just now, dcar00 said:

these are national championships during big 12

I don’t think it is. I think it’s the total number of team NCAA national championships in a school’s history. 

The top section shows 23 NCAA team national championships for Texas since the formation of the Big 12.

The wording in the bottom section - “Overall NCAA Championships by Big 12 Institutions” - makes me believe these are the total number of NCAA championships won by member institutions. 

The point still stands, though. Maybe even more emphatically.