Shackleton’s Endurance found after 107 years

futureman

2 hours ago, futureman said:

I'll take your word for it, as I've never found enough time to break away from watching "ouch my balls" long enough to subscribe to the WSJ digital edition. 

Edited by Blotto
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Incredible, the preservation of things in cold water - makes me think of the Vasa.  The story and timeframe also makes me think of the Fram, which successfully made it through several expeditions based on a really cool design to survive the ice pack for years, if necessary.  Very cool museum in Oslo.

These people that undertook these expeditions amaze me.

8 minutes ago, grazinhorn said:

Incredible, the preservation of things in cold water - makes me think of the Vasa.  The story and timeframe also makes me think of the Fram, which successfully made it through several expeditions based on a really cool design to survive the ice pack for years, if necessary.  Very cool museum in Oslo.

These people that undertook these expeditions amaze me.

Ship’s username checks out

45 minutes ago, Blotto said:

I'll take your word for it, as I've never found enough time to break away from watching "ouch my balls" long enough to subscribe to the WSJ digital edition. 

nor have I but you get like two free articles a month or something. I’m able to read it in full and I’m not a subscriber. 

1 hour ago, deadshank said:

They just don't build 'em like they used to.

Though her hull looked from the outside like that of any other vessel of a comparable size, it was not. She was designed for polar conditions with a very sturdy construction. Her keel members were four pieces of solid oak, one above the other, adding up to a thickness of 85 inches (2,200 mm), while its sides were between 30 inches (760 mm) and 18 inches (460 mm) thick, with twice as many frames as normal and the frames being of double thickness. She was built of planks of oak and Norwegian fir up to 30 inches (760 mm) thick, sheathed in greenheart, an exceptionally strong and heavy wood. The bow, which would meet the ice head-on, had been given special attention. Each timber had been made from a single oak tree chosen for its shape so that its natural shape followed the curve of the ship's design. When put together, these pieces had a thickness of 52 inches (1,300 mm).

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

Lots of books written about Shackleton.  I read Alfred Landsings and it was great.  Highly recommend it.

Reading about Shackleton in High School was the first time it occurred to my indestructible-know-it-all younger self that I might be a bad-ass, but I was not that bad-ass.  

19 hours ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

Lots of books written about Shackleton.  I read Alfred Landsings and it was great.  Highly recommend it.

Awesome book. Amazing that they all survived, although the ordeal undoubtably took years off many of their lives.  There were so many opportunities for some, if not all to die.  Can't imagine what it would be like to be so cold for so long, especially without the technical gear and clothing that we have today. 

A few recollections of many that blew my mind: 

•        Having to kill, then eat their sled dogs when food was getting scarce.  As you can imagine, bonds were made between man and dogs.
  •        When the pipe tobacco ran out, some of the crew took out some precious insulation from boots/clothing and smoked it.       
  •        After the ship sunk, and spending some time on the ice floe, they realized they had to get off and seek land.  After another arduous journey in the life boats, they finally reach land; after damn near crashing their boats on this miserably cold, barren island.  They have to turn over their boats to use as shelter, but the ground was covered in penguin shit.  The stench was un bearable, but they no other alternative.                                                                                                                                                                                  

34 minutes ago, Matuka said:

•        After the ship sunk, and spending some time on the ice floe, they realized they had to get off and seek land.  After another arduous journey in the life boats, they finally reach land; after damn near crashing their boats on this miserably cold, barren island.  They have to turn over their boats to use as shelter, but the ground was covered in penguin shit.  The stench was un bearable, but they no other alternative.                                                                                                                                                                                  

So almost as bad as a trip to Walmart. Poor bastards.

• Haha 3

22 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Shackleton's story is maybe the most fantastic for human endurance I've ever come across.

However, maybe it's not so epic... this is a picture of his wife:

image.png.d41a7fc7ef3b7aa5e44ff0d38c6ef10c.png

Nothing personal, but might explain why he was so desperate to repeatedly get to the farthest end of the earth away from civilization - at any cost.

image.thumb.png.d5d317c185272d37a1c273d7036cf487.png

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ATexanAbroad said:

I was just in Antartica for Christmas and New Years, saw Elelphant Island where he crashed, then went to South Georgia and even to the station that he arrived at after trekking through the mountains despite landing on the wrong side of the island. 

that’s very cool. would love to see photos if you are willing to post them. 

11 minutes ago, futureman said:

that’s very cool. would love to see photos if you are willing to post them. 

I was probably the only asshole on that boat without a 4000$ plus camera but I can definitely post what I have we did some pretty cool shit. Zodiacs all over the place, got to land in Antartica, swam as well. Kayaked in South Georgia which is more biodiverse and more protected than the Galapagos. Make Galapagos look like a middle school field trip to SeaWorld. 

Edited by ATexanAbroad
cant spell, drinking on the beach in colombia