2022 NCAA Tournament - 2nd Round

Wally Pryor

Sampson is a cheater but he's not a douchenozzle like Drew.   for my bracket I'm good with Houston winning this round but want them to lose as soon as possible after that.

never really want Houston to win for recruiting, generally.

that said, sampson can coach.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Sampson is a cheater but he's not a douchenozzle like Drew.   for my bracket I'm good with Houston winning this round but want them to lose as soon as possible after that.

never really want Houston to win for recruiting, generally.

that said, sampson can coach.

Sampson is recruiting lights out now, but there is enough talent in Texas for everyone. Though, he did go grab a top 20 kid out of Florida, too. He's also doing this without his 2 best players, who were lost for the season. His player development is second to none right now at the college level.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

Sampson is recruiting lights out now, but there is enough talent in Texas for everyone. Though, he did go grab a top 20 kid out of Florida, too.

still good with houston losing as soon as possible. I'd be happy if they sucked shit.   wonder when he's gonna get Houston in NCAA hot water.

1 minute ago, Deej said:

"And for Illinois, another disappointing end to the season." 

Doesn't only one team not have a disappointing end to their season?

If you're only looking at championships yes. But a team like St Peters will be happy with what they did no matter how their run ends now. And if we find a way to win tonight I'd say we eclipsed what this team was supposed to do and will be happy with the season. 

Illinois was supposed to be better than 2nd round exit. Massive disappointment. 

9 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Illinois was supposed to be better than 2nd round exit. Massive disappointment. 

Yep. Two straight B1G titles and two straight 2nd round exits as the higher seed. Underwood is a good regular season coach, but the tournament he kinda sucks.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Sampson may be shady, but dude can coach.  And Houston is athletic af.

If not for a miracle shot, it would be 4 straight Sweet 16s for him. Moore and Shead can play on any team in the country, and they started the season on the bench behind Sasser and Mark.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

If not for a miracle shot, it would be 4 straight Sweet 16s for him. Moore and Shead can play on any team in the country, and they started the season on the bench behind Sasser and Mark.

And if not for a late block/basket by UK, they move on to the EE and possibly beyond Auburn to FF. 

Just now, Underdog said:

And if not for a late block/basket by UK, they move on to the EE and possibly beyond Auburn to FF. 

If they had gotten past Michigan they were also the highest seed remaining in their bracket and would have faced aggy in the S16. They really could be on a FF streak, but that's why the 1 and done tournament is the best month in sports.

• Like 1

Just now, Colonel Sanders said:

Never understood why they don't have some overlap of games in the afternoon. Just start the games at 1 eastern and have a new game start each hour.

Same and it creates a whole lot of late night tipoffs by not having some overlap of the earlier games.

4 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

If they had gotten past Michigan they were also the highest seed remaining in their bracket and would have faced aggy in the S16. They really could be on a FF streak, but that's why the 1 and done tournament is the best month in sports.

Wasn’t FSU also in that Region?  Lenny had the Noles playing well that tournament IIRC.  I also wanted to pick UH to make a deep run that tournament but I really liked that UM Team. 

Edited by Underdog

1 minute ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Whom ever.  Someone was shooting and missing.  They could have run them ragged 

I think they were afraid of Cockburn early, but when he got tired and they realized no one on Illinois could stay in front of them, they started to attack. Moore's hoop late in the 1H when he took a body blow from Cockburn and finished over him was likely the key to the guards. They ended up scoring 54 of the team's 68 points.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Sampson may be shady, but dude can coach.  And Houston is athletic af.

In all honesty, I’ve never thought of Sampson as all that shady. Yes, he completely ignored any kind of NCAA guidance on contacting athletes, and I’m not trying to poo poo that, but he was never that great at the bag game. These days none of what he did would even be impermissible. The problem was he was getting an unfair advantage by communicating with players when no one else was doing so. Oh, and that he was breaking the rules in a way that was easily verifiable, which brings into question his intelligence. 

But he’s rarely grabbed the big name players. He’s a fantastic evaluator and all his teams play with a ridiculous intensity, even when they’re not all that skilled. He’s too big of a whiner on the sidelines and the coach’s box is merely a suggestion, but outside of that I’ve always had respect for the teams he puts on the floor. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Wasn’t FSU also in that Region?  Lenny had the Noles playing well that tournament IIRC.  I also wanted to pick UH to make a deep run that tournament but I really liked that UM Team. 

Yep, FSU took out #1 seed Xavier in the 2nd round. Destroyed Gonzaga in the S16, and lost a defensive struggle with Michigan. I would take Sampson over Hamilton in a one and done scenario every time.

4 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

In all honesty, I’ve never thought of Sampson as all that shady. Yes, he completely ignored any kind of NCAA guidance on contacting athletes, and I’m not trying to poo poo that, but he was never that great at the bag game. These days none of what he did would even be impermissible. The problem was he was getting an unfair advantage by communicating with players when no one else was doing so. Oh, and that he was breaking the rules in a way that was easily verifiable, which brings into question his intelligence. 

But he’s rarely grabbed the big name players. He’s a fantastic evaluator and all his teams play with a ridiculous intensity, even when they’re not all that skilled. He’s too big of a whiner on the sidelines and the coach’s box is merely a suggestion, but outside of that I’ve always had respect for the teams he puts on the floor. 

Not for nothing, but Barnes and Beard are really good friends with him. His time working under D'Antoni changed his career.

14 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Eight teams qualified Sweet 16.... 8 different conferences  😋

• Zags  -- WCC
  • Arky  --  SEC
  • Ucla   --  Pac12
  • NC     --   ACC
  • StPeters  -- MAAC
  • Providence  --  BigEast
  • Ku      --     B12
  • Mich   --    B10.

Now 9 teams qualified Sweet 16 -- 9 different conferences

• Houston   --  AAC

18 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Everything you said is true. Here’s my counterpoint:

fuck that cheating sooner in his fucking ass for life. That is the way. 

• Hook 'Em 3

31 minutes ago, Colonel Sanders said:

Never understood why they don't have some overlap of games in the afternoon. Just start the games at 1 eastern and have a new game start each hour.

This. Having one game on right now is baffling. I’m sure it’s all about advertising.

24 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Not for nothing, but Barnes and Beard are really good friends with him. His time working under D'Antoni changed his career.

Beard is friends with every fucking coach in the country, past and present. I think the only press conference this year pre or post game he didn’t talk about being friends with the opposing coach was Texas Tech. That guy is one networking machine.