NIL Recruiting News Megathread

texifornia

On 7/15/2022 at 9:20 AM, LTtxfan said:

Article..

Aaron Murray would have thrived in the NIL era.

The former Georgia quarterback was a five-star passer in the 2009 class out of Tampa (Fla.) Plant High School. After a successful college run, Murray enjoyed a seven year professional career before turning his attention to helping others thrive in the new frontier of Name, Image and Likeness.

Murray and several other Georgia alums started an initiative called The Players Lounge. Starting as a way for Georgia players and fans to connect through unique events, the group expanded to several other schools including LSU, Auburn, Oklahoma, Tennessee and Texas.

“It was four of us former alumni at Georgia, and we came together and we were just thinking about it,” Murray said. “Actually, my buddy approached me with one way for us to make an impact with our players at NIL, which was hopefully going to be a positive thing for the players and for fans. The fans that we got to interact with during our time in Athens at the University of Georgia, those relationships that we built were some of the ones that we leaned on once our playing careers were over.

"Whether it was right after college, or you know, some of us were in the NFL for a little bit. As we all know, you have to hang it up at some point. Some of the first people that I called, or some of the people that I got to know in the business world, when I was at Georgia. We thought why don't we find a way for these players to interact and create these relationships, build their brand in an authentic way that also gives them the ability to to make some money because NIL is such a big deal.

"So that’s the whole goal of the project, building a community which gives access to the fans, you know, that whole web 3.0 mentality of direct to consumer. You get that information directly from the source. You get to connect directly with the person. We've had a lot of success.”

Through unique fan-to-player experiences, The Players Lounge is able to connect people with athletes and raise some money for those athletes. It started with some golf tournaments and tailgates, and it’s grown into bigger events from there.

“We've done golf tournaments. We've done some events with fraternity members at the University of Georgia’s campus,” Murray said. “We've done a tailgate before the spring game and we’ve got another tailgate coming before the game versus Oregon. We did a really cool experience with Kendall Milton.

"So Kendall is a running back for Georgia. He came to us and said, ‘Hey guys, I love racing. I love cars. Is there anything we could do around that?’ We were like, ‘Sure, let's put our heads together,’ We got into a partnership with Kendall and BMW, and we had five lucky fans go out with Kendall to a racetrack in South Carolina and drive BMW cars around the racetrack for a day.

"So for fans who never knew Kendall loves cars or racing, like that's pretty badass. They love that too, and now you get to share that experience that’s nothing to do with football, that you may not have known about that player. So we're all about the experiences. We're all about the fan engagement, and hopefully building those connections for those players that will last past their playing career.”

NIL has run the gamut of helping kids profit off their name and legalizing what the NCAA deemed improper benefits in recruiting. This project falls in line with the way NIL was intended to work when it was approved. With that in mind, the feedback from those in the college world has been strong, and it allowed Murray and his partners to expand. When going into other markets, they’ve looked for local ambassadors who can help carry the project to their own programs.

“It's all been good,” Murray said. “I mean, especially the amount of money that has been able to generated. The coaches obviously know that, and NIL is a part of recruiting, it's a part of, you know, what they can pitch the kids. So, if schools know that there's this community that if you're at Texas, or at this school, or that school that we're part of, that you get put into essentially this opportunity to build your brand through interacting and then get paid on top of that. You know, we've had really little resistance from universities. That's the first thing we do is find what we like to call ambassadors, you know, people that can be kind of lead up the project.”

Former Texas linebackers Brian Jones and Derrick Johnson are leading the way for the Longhorns with Burnt Orange Heroes. Murray works with Jones on the broadcast side for CBS Sports and played in Kansas City with Johnson when both were members of the Chiefs.

“For me to go into Texas and say, ‘Hey, I'm gonna start this project here in Texas’, it would be like what the heck,” Murray said. “So we kind of take a step back, we let Derrick take it. We educate them about what the project is. He was super stoked to be involved. He wanted to get involved with the football team or just student athletes in general, there at Texas, and you'll help them make their money while building their brand.

"So he said he's super stoked about it along with Brian. And, you know, they've kind of taken it and run with it. We're just here to support them any way we can, whether it's helping set up events, obviously, or on the digital side, when it comes to these digital passes that we'll be selling, the creation of those, the storing of those and selling of those, we kind of handle that. And then they do a great job of helping our players interact with the fans.”

Though they’ve signed up several Texas football players including Justice Finkley, Byron Murphy, Anthony Cook, Demarvion Overshown and Jordan Whittington, they’ve also signed other athletes such as Texas basketball guard Andrew Jones, Texas women’s track athlete Tyra Gittens and Texas baseball pitcher Tanner Witt. The goal is to eventually expand where as many athletes as possible can take part in the experience.

“I think we set up some really good players,” Murray said. “Our goal is to eventually sign up the entire football team and bring everyone on board. That way everyone can participate, everyone can interact with the fans, obviously, everyone can can have a chance to make some money on the project as well. So that's the goal. But right now we feel really good about that the group of young men and women that we have.”

The first major event for Burnt Orange Heroes will be July 23 in Austin at High 5 Entertainment at 2700 West Anderson Lane in Austin. The event will last from 6:00 P.M. to 9:00 P.M. and feature several current and former Texas athletes.

“We'll have more events throughout the year, and that's essentially the launch of the project. So we'll be selling these digital passes that will go on sale that day. You don't have to own one to go to this first event. We just want people there to kind of get the experience. It will be like, ‘Man, this is cool. I want to go to more stuff like this throughout the year.’ And then from there, hopefully, you'll get more and more people to buy into what we're selling and what these kids are bringing to Austin, Texas. So the first event is just open for fans to come hang out and have a good time. We'll have bowling, we'll have ax throwing all there at High 5. There will be food and drinks, and you can just kind of kick it with all of the players.”

For more information on the event, you can visit the website.

22 hours ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Full Josh Pate segment:

College Football has seen NIL dominate the conversation as of late, and on Late Kick Live Ep 279 Josh pate discussed a growing concern behind the scenes as coaches have been discussing baseless promises being made in the form of NIL offers to players. Is this the real hidden risk in the NIL game? Could unfulfilled promises of money actually end up fracturing locker-rooms and costing coaches their jobs more-so than the money itself ever would have? What do you see as the biggest potential issue with NIL in the coming years for College Football? IF some programs are associated with offering baseless NIL deals, how will it shake out when the reality hits once players are on campus?

20 hours ago, Nivek said:

Is there something specific to this?

Analysis from 247 poster:

That was a great listen.  It was pretty easy to figure out who he was talking about.  For those that didn't listen, he basically said that Jordan Addison isn't getting what he was promised.  That this stuff will come out in the open in the future.  Also implied pretty confidently that there is a program recruiting much higher than their norm and that it's going to result with locker room problems and transfers over the next year to two years.  Assuming he's talking about aggy which it's pretty clear he is, he stated that this particular program promised recruits a bunch of ridiculous money and in their contracts, there are a bunch of stipulations for these players to actually get the money which was never relayed to them.  For example, they only start getting payments if they are starting, or if they meet certain qualifications.  Now if the player and family feels pissed about about being lied to, they are stating "well you signed the contract".  Mentioned that it may not affect players that live near home but recruits that moved from OOS that had no interest in the program and simply were there for transactional reasons, will likely transfer.  Makes sense of the rumors of Walter Nolan wanting out.  It also falls in line with seeing how they are struggling to recruit big time right now.  They went from signing the best class ever in the history of recruiting coming off of a 8-4 season to struggling to get recruits on campus a few months later.  Josh Pate mentioned these recruits will talk to current players and it makes a lot more sense now why more guys are not falling for their "commit now or the offer is gone" pitch.

He also mentioned that there are schools that are doing it the right way.  That their pitch to players is that we aren't guaranteeing you anything but that we have the structure and resources in place for you to actually monetize on your name and build a brand if you come in and do the right things.  Sounds pretty much like what Texas is doing.  In addition, we see to be making an effort to create a baseline for all players to be payed and then creating opportunities for the ones that are producing to get the bigger dollar offers through all the opportunities in Austin.  

In summary, he basically said that a ton of coaches, GAs, and recruiting department personnel have told him about the bullshit at USC and aggy and how it's going to get exposed for the next few years.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Full Josh Pate segment:

Analysis from 247 poster:

That was a great listen.  It was pretty easy to figure out who he was talking about.  For those that didn't listen, he basically said that Jordan Addison isn't getting what he was promised.  That this stuff will come out in the open in the future.  Also implied pretty confidently that there is a program recruiting much higher than their norm and that it's going to result with locker room problems and transfers over the next year to two years.  Assuming he's talking about aggy which it's pretty clear he is, he stated that this particular program promised recruits a bunch of ridiculous money and in their contracts, there are a bunch of stipulations for these players to actually get the money which was never relayed to them.  For example, they only start getting payments if they are starting, or if they meet certain qualifications.  Now if the player and family feels pissed about about being lied to, they are stating "well you signed the contract".  Mentioned that it may not affect players that live near home but recruits that moved from OOS that had no interest in the program and simply were there for transactional reasons, will likely transfer.  Makes sense of the rumors of Walter Nolan wanting out.  It also falls in line with seeing how they are struggling to recruit big time right now.  They went from signing the best class ever in the history of recruiting coming off of a 8-4 season to struggling to get recruits on campus a few months later.  Josh Pate mentioned these recruits will talk to current players and it makes a lot more sense now why more guys are not falling for their "commit now or the offer is gone" pitch.

He also mentioned that there are schools that are doing it the right way.  That their pitch to players is that we aren't guaranteeing you anything but that we have the structure and resources in place for you to actually monetize on your name and build a brand if you come in and do the right things.  Sounds pretty much like what Texas is doing.  In addition, we see to be making an effort to create a baseline for all players to be payed and then creating opportunities for the ones that are producing to get the bigger dollar offers through all the opportunities in Austin.  

In summary, he basically said that a ton of coaches, GAs, and recruiting department personnel have told him about the bullshit at USC and aggy and how it's going to get exposed for the next few years.

This is entirely and completely accurate

16 hours ago, AP101S said:

...Just wait

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

The Red Raiders appear to be more in the actual, REAL  NIL game than do the Aggies. Jimbo's still trying to figure it out, apparently.

This, plus the pool party thing, plus Jimbo Word Diarrhea yesterday, have shown me that Jimbo Fisher is a fucking moron. 

I am shocked that a man this dumb somehow stumbled into a head coaching position, much less one with the talent to win a national championship. 

His stupidity is astounding!

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

This, plus the pool party thing, plus Jimbo Word Diarrhea yesterday, have shown me that Jimbo Fisher is a fucking moron. 

I am shocked that a man this dumb somehow stumbled into a head coaching position, much less one with the talent to win a national championship. 

Just another aggy joke …

6 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Jimbo has never been good at anything other than buying recruits which is why NIL is his nightmare.  

His recent hires at aggy are back to the same hires that turned FSU into a train wreck. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

Plenty of dumb head coaches. And I can think of at least 2 other national champ coaches that were as dumb or dumber. (did Lou Holtz win a title? If so, make that 3.)

Lsu Football Lsufb19 GIF by LSU Tigers

College Football GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Cry more Kirby! I hope you cried all the way back to Athens from San Antonio. The bag game is dead!

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/34267988/georgia-bulldogs-coach-kirby-smart-worried-college-football-players-getting-too-much-too-fast-nil

Georgia coach Kirby Smart on Tuesday raised concerns about the "reverse system" of name, image and likeness deals and his frustrations with the recruiting calendar.

In a question-and-answer session with coaches at the Texas High School Coaches Association convention in San Antonio, Smart was asked whether he's tired of answering questions about NIL yet.

"Hell yeah, and y'all are tired of hearing about that s--- too," Smart said, to laughs across the room.

But he discussed his concern about players getting too much, too fast.

"It's unfortunate that it slid the way it did because I was one of the biggest advocates that the name, image and likeness [rule] needed to be in place," Smart said. "Look, it is not for everybody. Everybody's not gonna make the same amount of money off of it. ... You're gonna have different pay scales for different guys. I can accept that.

"What I can't accept is some young man getting $10,000 a month for four years or three years of college? That's $120K a year. What do you think he's doing with that? Is that actually gonna make him more successful in life? Because, I promise you, if you handed me $10K a month my freshman year of college, I probably wouldn't be where I am today. I believe that."

Smart said he believed that he had to fight, scratch and claw for opportunities, whether it was not having money to get out of an ATM or not playing much in football. He said that if he had been handed that much money -- adding that $10K was just a random figure -- he might not have had to work as hard.

"You could say, 'Well, he deserves that,'" Smart said. "Well, he might deserve that if he earns it. If he goes out there and plays, I'm all for taking care of guys that have been part of the program and start and play. It's a reverse system right now, where the bottom coming in is getting rewarded more than the top going out. And that's tough."

With some players getting more high-profile offers or more lucrative offers than others, Smart was asked by a coach how he prevents that from causing jealousy or disharmony in the locker room. Last year, at this same keynote session in San Antonio, Alabama's Nick Saban told the high school coaches that his quarterback, Bryce Young, had already approached $1 million in NIL deals.

"Our quarterback has already approached ungodly numbers and he hasn't even played yet," Saban told the attendees in 2021. "If I told you what it is, it's almost seven figures."

Smart said he believes it's better for these things to be out in the open and to just be honest with the players.

"I think education is the key to NIL," Smart said. "You start with an NFL model. Why does Lamar Jackson or Deshaun Watson make more than the left guard? Well, that's the price they demand. That's the market value they demand. So once you start educating players on that, they understand why Bryce Young gets multimillion dollars in endorsements but yet the next guy might not."

And, he said, there's no better way to get an NIL deal than for the team to have success.

"That's also a cancer; a disease that can destroy our team," Smart said. "The quickest way to get no NIL deal is to lose. We had a great example of that last year. We had 85 players that had some form of an NIL deal. They're not all equal. They'll never be equal. But they had some form of NIL opportunity."

Smart said the onslaught of recruiting visits at this time last year -- after COVID-19 restrictions ended -- was a test.

"I was ready to step down," Smart said. "I was done. We had kids every day from June 1 to June 28. We had caravans showing up from the Atlanta airport at midnight and they wanted to go in our indoor and work out at midnight because they had to go to another school at 7 in the morning, they had to go to another school at 10 in the evening and they were trying to make the stops.

"If we weren't there at midnight, we weren't going to see them. What do you do? Say no? Those kids are flying from Washington, from California. We were there with them, and it drove our staff crazy."

He said this year has been similar, with four weekends in a row with 10 to 12 official visits.

"I'm talking about sunup to sundown," Smart said. "Well, what else are you gonna do?"

Edited by UDontKnow
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

The Red Raiders appear to be more in the actual, REAL  NIL game than do the Aggies. Jimbo's still trying to figure it out, apparently.

Pretty solid move by Tech.  Transparent as to their NIL effort.  Also, by everyone getting something respectable probably helps the locker room.

On 7/19/2022 at 1:58 PM, UDontKnow said:

"What I can't accept is some young man getting $10,000 a month for four years or three years of college? That's $120K a year. What do you think he's doing with that? Is that actually gonna make him more successful in life? Because, I promise you, if you handed me $10K a month my freshman year of college, I probably wouldn't be where I am today. I believe that."

I don't necessarily disagree with bits and pieces of this article but:

1. Kirby is okay paying recruits six figures under the table BEFORE NIL and now he's not okay with it.  Yea, like we all don't know why that is Kirby.

2. If a kid earns the money, he should get paid. There's no other way to do it because cheaters like Kirby Smart, Jimbo Fisher and Nick Saban give us no other way to do it fairly. The only thing you can do is add a salary with a cap to soften some of these NIL deals. Otherwise, NIL is the only way to keep cheaters in check.

3. There are immature kids out there, but I was never one of them. I grew up without air conditioner in the house, no cable TV and no insulation in the house. I played sports and worked my ass off all the way through high school to buy my first used truck. The money would have gotten me out of that shithole much faster because I would have taken care of it. I had to work full time, take outrageous loans and go to college at the same time. Fuck you, Kirby Smart, for speaking for everyone. I'm not surprised to hear you were immature, but you can't speak for everyone.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/18/2022 at 3:59 PM, AP101S said:

Holy shit. The Matador Club (aka the Meet a Whore) was the name of one of the shittiest and shadiest strip clubs I’ve ever set foot in, and I’ve been to some shitty strip clubs. Talk about a perfect name for Tech’s collective.

image.jpeg.e293dabbd03c69d4515ec7baad86558b.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

No clue. Good question.

I have some real question about this. It’s obviously for profit and it’s run by Aaron Murray the old Georgia qb who is doing the same thing at other schools. It’s ingenious honestly as a for profit model, also gives serious shady vibes

17 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Well just found out it’s 20% and all the players signed up get the same amount. That’s a hefty % but honestly not too bad

Interesting. They claim they have 85+ players on board for this, so it’s obviously heavily dependent on how many passes they sell. Let’s say they sell 1,000 passes. After you factor out the 20%, each player is only taking home about $1500 assuming there are around 100 of them.

Edited by Hookem2147

34 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Interesting. They claim they have 85+ players on board for this, so it’s obviously heavily dependent on how many passes they sell. Let’s say they sell 1,000 passes. After you factor out the 20%, each player is only taking home about $1500 assuming there are around 100 of them.

So Murray takes home potentially 40k per school if he replicates this amount everywhere. That's a nice little side hustle. Emphasis on fucking Hustle. 

• Hook 'Em 2