Who are you rooting for in World Cup?

tantric superman

4 hours ago, DanTheHorn said:

I can't enjoy the USA v Mexico rivalry the way others can since I root for the US when they are not playing Mexico. I remember being frustrated that it seemed I was the only one that was walking around pissed off that the USA lost to Iran in the world cup many world cups ago.

That was the first Dallas Burn home game that I did not attend.  So sick to my stomach that afternoon that I just took a shower and went to bed.

4 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Iceland and any other underdog.

I don’t like England as much as I used to, and I don’t hate Mexico as much.  F Russia.  F Iran (they’re in aren’t they?).  F Belgium.

It's time to reconsider England.  The Lizard has actually named a reasonable selection, and although he won't play Vardy on top of Kane, still figures to play a very young side, which is what England should do given their history and current setup.

6 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Iceland and any other underdog.

I don’t like England as much as I used to, and I don’t hate Mexico as much.  F Russia.  F Iran (they’re in aren’t they?).  F Belgium.

Iran was a fun team to watch last Cup. Can't name one player, but Argentina barely beat them with a very late goal. (Maybe a free kick... Can't remember.)

• Like 1

I bought an Iceland shirt off a FB promotion, so them.

Huge-Iceland-Supporter-1001.jpg?v=152363

Also, the Deadpool/Beckham commercial is hilarious. "Who are you rooting for? England. Yeah, but after they lose?"

Entirely possible this has been posted here before. I was drunk a lot this weekend with family in town.

Edited by skipperj
  • Like 2

On 5/29/2018 at 4:59 AM, tantric superman said:

Dumb fucks.  Mexico is playing at least...Well, they are playing three teams.

So pick one.

(I tried to do a poll but it would only let me pick 20 teams, and it I decided it wouldn't be cool to eliminate the swarthiest.)

This isn't that fucking hard. Mexico is playing one team at a time. I'm rooting for them. Nowhere in your rules did you say it had to be the same team all the way. If you're going to be a pedant, at least do it well.

I will root for whoever is playing Mexico until such time as Mexico is no longer in the World Cup.

Then I will root for Iceland until such time as they're no longer in the World Cup.

Then I will root for Argentina for the duration. IDGAF after that. Probably whoever is playing Brazil.

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

4 hours ago, Longhornmaniac8 said:

This isn't that fucking hard. Mexico is playing one team at a time. I'm rooting for them. Nowhere in your rules did you say it had to be the same team all the way. If you're going to be a pedant, at least do it well.

Not trying to be a pedant.  Just trying to speak English.

As in the first sentence of the thread.

"Pick one team who is presumably your second favorite behind the US."

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

updating my list

1 (1). aggy opponents

2 (4). vlad opponents

3 (-). Spain opponents - Sergio Ramos video is so bad, you have to hate espanya, on principle, pool fan or not.

4 (2). Engerland - my 2nd allegiance after the nats down from 2 because i have given up hope - The Lizard does not want to win

5 (3). The Dog - injuries taking their toll; Aguero + Higuain in front of the dog = winning formula, but not happening (see: The Lizard)

6 (5). Portugal - but only until the final and only if the final will be against The Dog - the moment The Dog is out, i want CRbaby out too

7 (6). Iceland, bandwagon (but they are getting slaughtered in group, The Dog is going to cut them open on matchday 1, and they will not recover)

8 (7). Egypt/Salah

9 (8). Australia - 4th allegiance

10 (9). tico opponents - although Belge cut them open and i'm thinking they may not surprise this time around and challenge aggy for the warnerco fail title

11 (10). Sweden - tits

T-12 (T-11). Japan & South Korea

At 9 Yrs old my grandparents from Argentina came to visit us in Houston. I watched Diego Armando Maradona put on a clinic in Mexico with my grandfather. We cheered. We sang. He cried. There was never a doubt that my love would remain with the Albicelestes.

Vamos vamos, Argentina!
Vamos vamos, a ganar!
Esta barra, quilombera.
No te deja, no te deja de alentar!

• Like 1

Iran was a fun team to watch last Cup. Can't name one player, but Argentina barely beat them with a very late goal. (Maybe a free kick... Can't remember.)

It was a brilliant goal from the top of the box by Messi. A classic left foot bender that found the upper corner of the goal. Untouchable.
  • Like 1

Iceland, at least when they play Nigeria next Friday and I stand in a Reykjavik drizzle with a bunch of Icelandarianites or whatever the hell they are, hopefully drinking something and not eating rotten shark fin.  (Will be rooting for Denmark for family reasons and because a good friend is a dirty Swede bastard; will be in Torshavn for their game against Australia but the Faroe Islanders may not give a shit about their semi-countrymen.  Or maybe they will.)

1 hour ago, Ldogg53 said:

It was a brilliant goal from the top of the box by Messi. A classic left foot bender that found the upper corner of the goal. Untouchable.

I believe that I was filming the crowd at Plaza San Martín for their reaction if it went in. 

I cant remember whether or not I posted it on Facebook, but if I didn’t, then that video footage is gone with the wind... along with my footage of the madness on Avenida 9 de Julio & Diagonal Norte after the Wednesday night semifinal win. I had my computer & backup hard drives all stolen out of a rental vehicle in Oakland 14 months ago. All but my first year in Argentina disappeared in a smash & grab. 

#retriste

Edited by Napoleon
  • Like 1

On 5/29/2018 at 9:07 PM, skipperj said:

Also, the Deadpool/Beckham commercial is hilarious. "Who are you rooting for? England. Yeah, but after they lose?"

Entirely possible this has been posted here before. I was drunk a lot this weekend with family in town.

I also like the Group of Death promo...

Edited by Napoleon

2 hours ago, Ldogg53 said:

Just went back and checked my videos and it turns out that I did post that one. (Praise Jesus... but not the Brazilian one.)

Also, I have 4 photos of the madness around El Obelisco, so there's that. None of the dozens of videos of "Brasil, decime que se siente..." #tristeperoafull

Like this one, but not on Av. Corrientes looking East, but rather on Av. 9 de Julio mainly.

Edited by Napoleon

This was in Brazil... though it seems like a home match for Argentina (and it turned out to be one), but this is basically a sing-along from over half the paid attendance.

And it turned out that the National Guard's Marching Band even played it while marching on (most probably) their national holiday of the 9th of July. (One of their two "Independence Days"... when a peace treaty was signed with Spain recognizing their independence on the 9th of July, 1816.)

Edited by Napoleon

Things are starting to shake out now and I've seen just about every team play their opener. Here are the longshots I'm rooting for:

1. Japan - Go full Samurai and show the world height is completely unnecessary in Soccer.

2. Panama - Biggest longshot there is, but American and Latino.

3. Iceland - Looks like there's a reason they're here. Let's go country of less than 1 milllion pop!

Here are the mid-level teams with a real shot I'm rooting for:

1. Croatia - Actually look like one of the best teams in the field right now.

2. Senegal - Looked far better than Nigeria in their opener. An interesting squad that's not really expected to do much damage but could.

3. Mexico - Closest thing we have to a home team in this and I'm rooting for 'em.

As far as favorites:

1. Germay - The should bounce back and I'm still impressed with their dominance 4 years ago. Big fan of Orzil.

2. Belgium - Looked pretty good in their opener. Lukaku seems like a beast. Always love the small countries.

3. Portugal - Cristiano looks way better than Messi at this point. You have to respect the man.