2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

8 hours ago, Gourmand said:
8 hours ago, runthebone said:
Think Dusty is loyal to Montero as the guy for the 8th?  Or is it Stanek Neris Abreu Pressly? 

Hopefully Good Framber gives us 6 or 7 and we can avoid using Montero.

I think Dusty is going to do everything he can to avoid using Montero and Pressly this game

I hope Altuve, Pena, Bregman, et al have the same mindset.

We're going to steamroll tonight, so it doesn't matter.  The Phils gave us their best shot and they are still down 3-2 with 2 games left at our house.

For academic purposes, I think they still throw LMJ in game 7 with a very short leash. Everyone would be available out of the pen, including Javier.  Would be interesting to see who would be the first one out. Would be situational, most likely. But would be cool to see Javier pitch again in this series.

• Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

My head is here as well. I’m not convinced it’ll be a leadoff homer, but feel pretty certain he’s going to carry the offense tonight.

perhaps a walkoff homer kind of day…

My blood pressure needs an 11-2 kinda win, but sending the Phillies off Game 6 Joe Carter style would sit well with me. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

It was a shitty joke/lament.  You should feel bad for posting it.

You are wrong and you can sit there in your wrongness and feel bad about it. 95+% of the  fan base  would prefer having Javier on 4 days rest vs LMJ on 4 days rest and those that don’t probably huff paint chips. 
I say that as literally the biggest LMJ honk/ defender on this website. LMJ is fine, with the chance at being superb. Javier is elite of the elite. It was a stupid and unforced error to do it the way that they decided to do it. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

And if we knew LMJ was going to shit the bed Tuesday night we would have never pitched him in the first place.  If he pitches great on Tuesday then no one worries about him pitching Game 7.  Hindsight... how does it work?

Yeah, except this wasn’t hindsight for Wulaw. He was essentially jumping on the table to start Javier for Game 3 for this very scenario…it’s more of an “I told you so” than hindsight here.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

If it got to game 7 I think you have to throw LMJ. If that means you have Hector Neris warming up alongside him (he’s the guy to get you out of a jam mid inning) so be it. Hunter Brown comes next until he gets in trouble at which point in time Abreu comes in to finish that inning and get the next one. Then Stanek and Presley. 
Javier has never pitched on 3 days rest and I can’t see starting him now. Also, he really hasn’t been all that great out of the bullpen if you look at his numbers, either last year or this year. 

The man in the bullpen with three World Series victories needs to figure into the formula.  Urquidy could come in and play the Charlie Morton role and win it for us.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

If it got to game 7 I think you have to throw LMJ. If that means you have Hector Neris warming up alongside him (he’s the guy to get you out of a jam mid inning) so be it. Hunter Brown comes next until he gets in trouble at which point in time Abreu comes in to finish that inning and get the next one. Then Stanek and Presley. 
Javier has never pitched on 3 days rest and I can’t see starting him now. Also, he really hasn’t been all that great out of the bullpen if you look at his numbers, either last year or this year. 

urquidy, lmj in relief 

Concerning LMJ, recency bias isn't always wrong. If we play Sunday, give it to Javier. But let's not play Sunday. 

Lost in how this series has gone is the fact Yordan is long overdue to break something with a 115 mph bomb. I think he smashes one tonight and reminds us he's still one of the scariest bats on earth. He certainly needs to. 

• Hook 'Em 4

37 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Yeah, except this wasn’t hindsight for Wulaw. He was essentially jumping on the table to start Javier for Game 3 for this very scenario…it’s more of an “I told you so” than hindsight here.

All year long I have been. I was calling for him to be in the rotation at the beginning of the year, I was calling for Odo to get traded so he couldn’t get skipped, I was  mocking people who said he should be a swing man, I was  apoplectic about the idea of him not pitching game 4 vs Seattle if it got there. 
I love and have always believed in Javier. I don’t get why people have been so slow to embrace him as what he is- a nearly unhittable certified stud. 
None of this is shade at LMJ. I think he’s clearly a better option than garcia or Urquidy. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

I don't know why y'all are talking about this alleged Game 7.

Might as well speculate on the winner of a fight between Bigfoot and the Loch Ness Monster.

None of that shit is happening.

MLB will make us play a game 7. It’s worth 2 wins for the Phillies if they win it

15 minutes ago, Js1 said:

MLB will make us play a game 7. It’s worth 2 wins for the Phillies if they win it

I hate the “mlb wants this to go 7” nonsense but if we’re going to go there, might as well look at the umps.

the last (and only other) time the ump behind home plate tonight called a World Series? Game 5, 2019

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/mlb/2019/10/28/20935724/world-series-2019-astros-nationals-umpires-suck-strike-zone

tl;dr:  don’t show up barksdale

Edited by UTexasFight

12 minutes ago, Mez2 said:

I hope we rock the orange tops tonight

8 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Frambertops are the blue jerseys. You know, so he can camouflage the illegal substances he wiping off 

Astros also 1-0 with blue tops in WS appearances (Framber game 2). 

Anything but white if we have to go 7

D2D3D131-5477-4924-9F0D-43632016DA57.thumb.jpeg.4a2d9c3d5d224217336dd2c30900ff0b.jpeg

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

You are wrong and you can sit there in your wrongness and feel bad about it. 95+% of the  fan base  would prefer having Javier on 4 days rest vs LMJ on 4 days rest and those that don’t probably huff paint chips. 
I say that as literally the biggest LMJ honk/ defender on this website. LMJ is fine, with the chance at being superb. Javier is elite of the elite. It was a stupid and unforced error to do it the way that they decided to do it. 

Hey I love Javier as much as you do and think he's more of a weapon than LMJ but I think the Astros brain trust absolutely had it right sandwiching Javier's gm 4 start in Philly between McCullers and Verlander for that very reason. He's a one-man pitching machine who has the effect of destroying a team's morale by dotting Ks all over 'em and not letting them get a single fucking hit. 

If we hadn't blown gm 1, then Javier would have been the gm 3 starter in that "YOU'VE NEVER SEEN A CROWD UNTIL YOU'VE SEEN A PHILLY CROWD!!!" environment to theoretically put the Astros into an insurmountable 3-0 WS lead. I don't think they thought Lance would shit the bed as badly as he did, but I think they knew there was a better chance of Philly getting to LMJ in gm 3 in Philly and by pitching Javier in that pivotal fourth game, it would shut the Philly crowd into submission and put a huge reset button on the series. 

That is why it was key to pitch him in that spot. Worst case scenario happened with LMJ and if it had happened with the games flipped and Philly down 1-2 but then getting five home runs and blasting the shit out of us in the boxscore to tie the series, that Philly clubhouse probably feels a lot more loose and locked-in for JV in game 5. I know momentum isn't really a thing in baseball, but human nature being what it is, I'd argue that Javier's performance Wed night stayed with them a bit against JV. 

But IDMAS because we're winning this game tonight and dogpiling on the mound at Minute Maid.

43 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Hey I love Javier as much as you do and think he's more of a weapon than LMJ but I think the Astros brain trust absolutely had it right sandwiching Javier's gm 4 start in Philly between McCullers and Verlander for that very reason. He's a one-man pitching machine who has the effect of destroying a team's morale by dotting Ks all over 'em and not letting them get a single fucking hit. 

If we hadn't blown gm 1, then Javier would have been the gm 3 starter in that "YOU'VE NEVER SEEN A CROWD UNTIL YOU'VE SEEN A PHILLY CROWD!!!" environment to theoretically put the Astros into an insurmountable 3-0 WS lead. I don't think they thought Lance would shit the bed as badly as he did, but I think they knew there was a better chance of Philly getting to LMJ in gm 3 in Philly and by pitching Javier in that pivotal fourth game, it would shut the Philly crowd into submission and put a huge reset button on the series. 

That is why it was key to pitch him in that spot. Worst case scenario happened with LMJ and if it had happened with the games flipped and Philly down 1-2 but then getting five home runs and blasting the shit out of us in the boxscore to tie the series, that Philly clubhouse probably feels a lot more loose and locked-in for JV in game 5. I know momentum isn't really a thing in baseball, but human nature being what it is, I'd argue that Javier's performance Wed night stayed with them a bit against JV. 

But IDMAS because we're winning this game tonight and dogpiling on the mound at Minute Maid.

Maybe the counter is that Javier's hard stuff behind Valdez would have all but guaranteed a Game 3 win, rather than enduring the home power display we saw against LMJ. Also would have given Javier a bit more rest for a potential Game 7. But I do see your argument about how things shifted when we blew Game 1 and needed to "protect" JV (though it still seems crazy to have to worry about that) in Game 5.

Things all worked out, so no complaints here. End it tonight. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, runthebone said:

Lance is too emotional.  Would start El Reptil on short rest and ask for 3 innings.  Lance would be better out of the pen, in my opinion.

This. LMJ has a lot of mechanical shit to work out. I think he can fix it in spring training, but its going to take a few months. 

6 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

2019 prices cratered the day of game 7, right?

Am I remembering that correctly?

I have a pair of upper deck tickets if there is a game 7, but eyeing selling them now in hopes of buying lower level tickets for cheaper tomorrow, if necessary. 

correct. Game 7 tickets crashed 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Viper said:

Anyone used spothero before to park in the Avenida central garage? 

Yes, used that for Avenida Central garage for DS Game 2, had no issues.  

however, for WS Game 2, Central garage was not available in the app, only Avenida South for $35.

While walking past Central garage it was open to park, so I'm not sure why that wasn't in Spothero.

Also no problems, just had a longer walk.

Planning to use it again today, probably should book soon.