2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Two quick thoughts

1. Peña looked like a rookie for the first time on that last throw. Short-armed it and nearly spiked it. Hopefully that's done now. 

Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

That was a smooth play. I don’t see a problem. Simple play, executed perfectly. No problem.

You want to get hot and bothered about his bad throws, go back to the first half of the season.

Last play of World Series game 5? He was money.

• Hook 'Em 5

4 hours ago, Victor Lazlo said:

Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

That was a smooth play. I don’t see a problem. Simple play, executed perfectly. No problem.

You want to get hot and bothered about his bad throws, go back to the first half of the season.

Last play of World Series game 5? He was money.

Not hot and bothered at all. He short-armed it and Mancini was at nearly full stretch to make the play. That's just what happened. 

On a high stress evening filled with outbursts and expletives, I think my most egregious outburst was the blown strike call against Harper in the 9th.  I terrified my dog on that one. That shit can’t happen in that situation.  The robot ump can’t get here quick enough. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Just now, cabowabo said:

On a high stress evening filled with outbursts and expletives, I think my most egregious outburst was the blown strike call against Harper in the 9th.  I terrified my dog on that one. That shit can’t happen in that situation.  The robot ump can’t get here quick enough. 

Harper’s strike zone was bullshit all night. 

• Hook 'Em 6

54 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Pena wasn't anywhere close to spiking that last throw.  Mancini was in full stretch to make sure he got the ball in his glove before Castellanos, who was obviously going full out down the line, reached the base.

I really don't understand why y'all are so bothered about this. That's not why someone fully stretches to their right when they're on first base. That's why they stretch toward the thrower when a throw is on line. And Castellanos was out by a full step, no major league first baseman thinks that play is going to be bang bang.

It was just an observation, wasn't upset about it. The play was made.

Edited by Huckleberry

That was one phenomenal defensive game. We'll obviously remember the McCormick and Mancini grabs, along with Pena spearing that liner, but let's not overlook Tucker's catch of the Stott fly in right-center. As it happened mid-game, it won't be remembered as all that crucial to the outcome, but we can never know that it wasn't. Relocating the ball at the last moment was clutch. Of course, per usual with Tucker, it ended up looking routine. He's a total stud out there. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

… and in which sport does a player of Harper’s stature not get the calls?  He’s selective and has the reputation for having a good eye at the plate.

image.thumb.jpeg.fe0c359a93d7c1474ccc7eaa4b95d1b7.jpeg

Find another hill to die on …

So it's ok then for stars to get calls the rest of the guys don't? GTF outta here with that bullshit. 'Reputation for a good eye' or not, he was wrong about the pitch he argued with Maldy about in the 9th, for example. It was mid zone on the otuside corner and should have been called a strike. It wasn't outside like he was saying, but he got a bullshit call in his favor, just like he got on other pitches earlier and on the check swing. If Blue is calling that a ball based on Harper taking it, then he's nbot doing his job. Fuck his reputation.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, wood said:

So it's ok then for stars to get calls the rest of the guys don't? GTF outta here with that bullshit. 'Reputation for a good eye' or not, he was wrong about the pitch he argued with Maldy about in the 9th, for example. It was mid zone on the otuside corner and should have been called a strike. It wasn't outside like he was saying, but he got a bullshit call in his favor, just like he got on other pitches earlier and on the check swing. If Blue is calling that a ball based on Harper taking it, then he's nbot doing his job. Fuck his reputation.

Where did I say it’s “OK?”  It’s just the reality of sports and how star players are treated.

The check swing was more egregious to me. That was a bullshit call!
Astros catching a game changing fly ball
EBBACD99-6A0E-4FBB-B916-52F88813702E.thumb.jpeg.e91eed3ab9d21bc6f47efb05b6fe2b29.jpeg

rangers catching a game changing fly ball
4F1857D7-6677-4DAB-8371-C7F83380AAF7.gif.2f8603c1043bb537b8a82b894ca0f1ac.gif

Uncalled for.

Pena made 2 bad ass plays also with the liner he snagged jumping off of Castellanos....that gets by its likely a double and a run scored. And the other, as a former shortstop,  seeing him attack that high hopper and throw on the run to get the guy out by half a step was clutch. Any sort of false movement, bobble, whatever, and runner is safe.

Defense wins championships

• Hook 'Em 3

14 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Where did I say it’s “OK?”  It’s just the reality of sports and how star players are treated.

OK, and some people complained about it, as they should, and you basically told them to stfu. What do you care? Just as it's always been the case that the stars get calls, it's also always been bullshit and people rightfully don't like it.

11 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I don't really understand this. I'm a much bigger Longhorn fan than anything else (Astros really the only pro team I care much about) but how is a 5-3 team in a regular season game versus Game 6 of the World Series a tough decision if you care about the Astros? God invented the DVR for a reason. 

This.

One game is 5-3 Texas making a bowl, when it has a few more chances if we lose.

The other is potentially clinching a World Series.

Fuck the football game, lol.  That's why God invented the ESPN app / having multiple devices to watch things on.   Or you can flip over and watch in 5 minute increments during the longest commercial breaks in the history of television. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Not to take anything away from Chas' catch but Mancini's play was even bigger imo with those runners on base. Holy shit what moment for him to step up and contribute.

JV pointed out in his postgame interview that Chas's play shouldn't overshadow Mancini's.  Both plays were just gigantic.

Edited by TexArcher
  • Hook 'Em 3

17 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Stop being poors and get a multiple TV setup in your man cave/living room. 

I’m going to be out of the house.  But if I were, the Horns would be relegated to iPad at best.  It’s not that I can’t watch them both at the same time - it’s that I won’t be distracted by the Horns when the Astros have an opportunity to clinch a World championship.  

2 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I couldn’t tell based off the angles they were showing on the broadcast, but did Mancini catch the ball in the air or trap it in fair territory?

Caught it on a very short hop and got the force at first.  

• Hook 'Em 1