2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

Has Montero run out of gas like Will Harris did in 2019? Landry and the OG made that comparison to Hinch sticking with Harris in Games 6 and 7 which cost us that series. I thought it was a good question to ask and something that Dusty should consider and not repeat Hinch’s mistake. I know Montero was in the top 4 of our best relievers during the season. If there is nothing left in the tank, the Stanek has to get his innings.

Edited by Macklemore
  • Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

I just realized how sad Joe Buck must be right now and it pretty much made my whole day.

I regret that I have only one rep to give for this post…although it doesn’t really take the sting out of having to listen to “Serial killer” Joe Davis and Smaltz (not a typo). Couldn’t figure out why I was so weirded out by Joe Davis (other than his takes) until my wife said he has dead eyes. That comment really tied the room together.

Edited by IDIOTsavant

31 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I’ve been in and out of my car all morning and based on the ramblings of the MLB radio network you would think Phillie win the series last night. Everything has been about how great their obnoxious crowd was. 

Fuck them. 

Yeah can confirm, they've been mostly yapping about the series from the Philly perspective and a whole lot of "what coulda been" analysis but Jenny Cavnar on Unassisted this morning was pretty adamant about the Stros winning this series in 6. It still blows my mind how their hosts conveniently forget how badly the Astros blew game 1 and frame it as a game Philly won from their strength (homers) when they needed a JV error and a Castellanos web gem in the bottom of the 9th to eke that game out. 

The Phillies have not really been in control of any game without the advantage of knowing tipped pitches from Lance McCullers.  

35 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Has Montero run out of gas like Will Harris did in 2019? Landry and the OG made that comparison to Hinch sticking with Harris in Games 6 and 7 which cost us that series. I thought it was a good question to ask and something that Dusty should consider and not repeat Hinch’s mistake. I know Montero was in the top 4 of our best relievers during the season. If there is nothing left in the tank, the Stanek has to get his innings.

Both Montero and Pressly are on fumes. Makes pitching them with a 5-0 lead in Game 4 seem less intelligent, when you have a fully rested Hunter Brown that could have gone 3 innings by himself. One of the big reasons the Astros won in 2017 was Dave Roberts pitching his top end bullpen guys in almost every game, and the Astros finally got to them in Game 5.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Both Montero and Pressly are on fumes. Makes pitching them with a 5-0 lead in Game 4 seem less intelligent, when you have a fully rested Hunter Brown that could have gone 3 innings by himself. One of the big reasons the Astros won in 2017 was Dave Roberts pitching his top end bullpen guys in almost every game, and the Astros finally got to them in Game 5.

We had one extra day off this year.

…and the Phillies didn’t get to us in game 5.

2 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Yeah can confirm, they've been mostly yapping about the series from the Philly perspective and a whole lot of "what coulda been" analysis but Jenny Cavnar on Unassisted this morning was pretty adamant about the Stros winning this series in 6. It still blows my mind how their hosts conveniently forget how badly the Astros blew game 1 and frame it as a game Philly won from their strength (homers) when they needed a JV error and a Castellanos web gem in the bottom of the 9th to eke that game out. 

The Phillies have not really been in control of any game without the advantage of knowing tipped pitches from Lance McCullers.  

She interviewed some asshole at the airport and the entire thing was about the crowd being insane and how were they heckling JV and blah blah fucking blah.  Her guest was a loser.

2 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

She interviewed some asshole at the airport and the entire thing was about the crowd being insane and how were they heckling JV and blah blah fucking blah.  Her guest was a loser.

That was Spillborgs I think but even he was like "nah this shit is over."

1 hour ago, Saint Tacky said:

Certainly more important given the circumstances, but Chas' catch had a much, much greater degree of difficulty.

I don't know, man. That was a helluva snag on a short-hop screamer at the nuts by Mancini. He did an exceptional job staying low to the ball and not letting it eat him up. 

Statcast had the Schwarber out as a 98.7 exit velo with an XBA of .560 and the Realmuto flyout to Chas at 102.4 and an XBA 0f .690.

5 hours ago, Mez2 said:

Pena made 2 bad ass plays also with the liner he snagged jumping off of Castellanos....that gets by its likely a double and a run scored. And the other, as a former shortstop,  seeing him attack that high hopper and throw on the run to get the guy out by half a step was clutch. Any sort of false movement, bobble, whatever, and runner is safe.

Defense wins championships

Yeah that was his best play last night imho. Too many SS would have waited for the bounce, and would have had no shot to get the runner, if they could even field the bounce in the first place. Charging it hard and taking it in the air was the perfect move and was the only reason he was able to get him. Used that one as a teachable moment for my kid. Pena has great instincts and is only going to get better. Look forward to watching his development.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Macklemore said:

I have this same question about Abreu, Montero, and Pressly. They've seen these guys consistently for the past few games. They're gonna catch up eventually.

2 hours ago, Gourmand said:

it's a little frustrating because the astros got where they are because of pitching, defense, and timely hitting.  that's how we won last night, and most of the postseason.  mancini and chassy fizz made their plays, hoskins did not.  i think the sane mlb journalism world (non-astros haters) wanted philly to win last night to make a game 7 and an amazing series much more probable.

now, heading home with the series lead, framber on the mound, momentum, is making us look like heavy favorites, which makes their little dream less likely.  philly is a good team on a great run, but we need to end it tomorrow. 

it's a nice story and i can appreciate that, but people die in fairy tales all the time.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Wait, you’ve had the sound on during these Fox broadcasts? Masochist.

The sound is on but the drone of my old lady talking about fondue sets on sale at Williams Sonoma and her asking me where the player named “WITH RISP” is from tends to drown out Smoltz and his boyfriend. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4