Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

2 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Just assume we are out 80M because it sounds like both schools are prepared to pay if that’s what it takes. If Ok State or Tech really do try to cobble together a 10 team Southwest Conference like setup for a few years to collect 20M a school instead of trying to find a permanent home ASAP, they deserve to be permanently relegated to a lower division. 

2025 isn't going to be fun for those schools when their new t1 tv deal nets them less than 15m a year.

9 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Still can't vote once notification of intent to leave has been sent. Texas and Oklahoma are now officially Withdrawing Members.

image.png.cb232861e4b06c121964c35a7f8be688.png

image.png.dc74f7ed2cc4f2179ad6b87ae1ee6f12.png

That was actually dispelled the other day. The B12 hasn't classified Tex/OU as withdrawing members, yet. It is all word games and most of it is tied to the the worry of once this starts the ball rolling the lawsuits will begin to fly regarding the GOR.

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

I think the bigger issue is whether or not they have a choice. I think they're getting screwed by the Pac-12 being antiquated and myopic at this point.

Well that’s true. I think the ACC and Big 10 would still take some teams. This gentleman’s agreement between the three probably included some agreement not to expand but the moment one conference realizes this alliance is not in their self interests I think that ball will get rolling. I mean, like two days after the announcement USC announces a home and home with LSU. So much for that alliance. But to your point if the Irate 8 really have no other options this is their best and only option. 

3 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

That was actually dispelled the other day. The B12 hasn't classified Tex/OU as withdrawing members, yet. It is all word games and most of it is tied to the the worry of once this starts the ball rolling the lawsuits will begin to fly regarding the GOR.

Well I mean the by-laws don't leave any room for it to be a choice to classify them as such. They have notified the conference of the intent to withdraw. They are therefore withdrawing members by the language of the conference by-laws.

But don't get me wrong, the Big 12 totally ignoring its own rules would be perfectly expected behavior.

A Member (a “Withdrawing Member”) may Withdraw, or shall be deemed to have Withdrawn, as a Member of the Conference: (i) if it gives notice of the intent to Withdraw to the Conference; or...

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Well I mean the by-laws don't leave any room for it to be a choice to classify them as such. They have notified the conference of the intent to withdraw. They are therefore withdrawing members by the language of the conference by-laws.

But don't get me wrong, the Big 12 totally ignoring its own rules would be perfectly expected behavior.

Correction: I just got off the phone with Bob Burda at the Big 12 HQ. As of right now Oklahoma and Texas DO retain voting rights. Until the legals decide if joining the SEC is officially notice of withdrawal. @max_olson was correct in that regard.

Its back to just being word salad. But is is pretty much expected that UT and OU will abstain on everything unless the B12 try to be a dick.
Edited by Laxtonto

What? Hahaha, they're saying that they're not sure if Texas and OU have officially notified them of intent to withdraw? You're right about the word salad, although in this case it seems like Texas and OU are actually playing the game. They notified the Big 12 that they don't intend to renew the GoR and then applied for membership to the SEC to coincide with that timing. So it seems like the schools are the ones who won't officially notify of withdrawal until 18 months before 7/1/25.

So I have to apologize to the conference, they're not the ones playing legal games on this point. It's Texas and OU specifically to retain voting rights, which is the right negotiating tactic.

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

They haven’t submitted their intention to withdraw.  They have to do that within 24 month of their exit which would be June 2025 so they have until  June 2023 to withdraw.

The only thing Texas/Oklahoma have done with the Big 12 is notify the conference that they will not renew the GOR, that is not the same thing as notifying them of their intent to withdraw.

The Big12 is trying to see if the announcement that UT/OU are joining the SEC in 2025 can be considered a notification of withdraw under the bylaws but it’s not clear and if the Big 12 fucks up their own bylaws then they likely are going to be SOL if this goes to court.

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

BYU is probably the single best football add available in terms of both prestige and brand. They just bring nothing else to the table and the Mormon thing is toxic to the PAC 12, which would be their natural P5 fit. This league has Baylor though so no one cares.

Boise State is a good add for football competitiveness but I’m not sure what they bring in terms of revenue.

Cincinnati is probably the next best add from an all around competitiveness/new market/WVU travel partner standpoint. Bring Memphis with them to juice basketball further and provide a geographic bridge.

It’s a weird 12 for sure, island of misfit toys vibe, but it’s a decently competitive football league. No worse than the ACC sans Clemson and probably not far behind the PAC 12. Probably get a playoff team pretty consistently in a 12 team model. Elite basketball league. It could sort of work, absurd as it is.

I’m sure it would improve on AAC revenue but not approach P5. So all it takes is a couple schools like KU or WVU deciding they don’t want to take that huge haircut and it all falls apart.

BYU brings a Top 20overall  athletic program (Top 20 in the Sears Cup atleast).  Would have the largest basketball arena in the conference and a very good academic profile.   

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 2

1 hour ago, TrashMaster G said:

This entire post pre-supposes an endgame but doesn't explain WHY the SEC would move that direction.

Very true. And it’s an end game that I don’t want to see happen. 

But let me ask you this, and this is not meant as an insult to the home team of this community here, why did the SECSECSEC need Texas and OU?

It was asked above why does the SECSECSEC  need Texas Tech

Same can be said of the Sooners and Horns - while it’s great for both schools, theSECSECSEC doesn’t need either of them. 

The SECSECSEC is already dominating CFB and the playoffs. They are already printing money faster than they can spend. Their media presence is already huge - even in Texas. Their teams already get the pick of the litter in recruiting.

But there is one answer to all of it.

E.S.P.N.

They want to control, it is argued they already do, but they want to run CFB free and clear of anything the NCAA has to say about it.

But they don’t want the hassle of babysitting 120 schools.

Nope, they want a league made up of the elite few - basically the blue bloods and a few others.

So, start with the biggest conference first as your foundation. and then start picking off teams bit by bit.

They probably would have been cool to stand at 16 for awhile why GORd expire but the rumblings coming from the BIG/PAC this week that they aren’t ready for change means they need to give the elites in those conferences a little nudge and they do that by moving on without them vis-a-vie further expansion now.

And right now, the two biggest P5 free agents on the board are Tech and oSu.

(I say free agents because we all know the B12 as a P5 is dead)

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

From IT's Humidor.

All signs still point towards this being the swan song for Texas and OU in the Big 12. We still hear it’s fluid, but IT believes that’s more about the details of how the exit transpires more so than whether it will after this season.

"The situation is fluid!"  

Ah, to hear it again.  Lulz.

12 hours ago, BluTechsan said:

Does anyone really think the SECSECSEC is gonna stand at 16?

The SECSECSEC is pushing for a new league, not just a new improved conference.

The lame alliance presser yesterday and the PAC's announcement today says that they're perfectly happy to remain living in the past. 

I fully expect the SECSECSEC to go ahead and make the move to 20-24 rather quickly and it'll probably includes some of the leftover 8 which would also move the needle closer to getting out of the B12's GOR.

Grab Tech, oSu from B12 and FSU, Clemson from ACC to get to 20 and make overtures to SC, Oregon, Mich, tOSU to see how serious they are about their devotion to the Rose Bowl.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the endgame ends up being SEC and B1G forming the 2 mega conferences of 20-24 with those 2 poaching Notre Dame and the best of the ACC and PAC. I suppose there’s a chance that the SEC could try to take enough Ir8 to kill the conference and avoid any exit fees but idk how realistic that is.

E. Gordon Gee, University of West Virginia President, has stated he is no longer in favor of a 12 team playoff format.  I would suspect his vote flip-flop is an effort to leverage his seat on the College Football Playoff Board of Directors for a spot in the ACC for West Virginia.  That would put the proverbial stake in the Walking Dead Big XII.

44 minutes ago, BluTechsan said:

But let me ask you this, and this is not meant as an insult to the home team of this community here, why did the SECSECSEC need Texas and OU?

Same can be said of the Sooners and Horns - while it’s great for both schools, theSECSECSEC doesn’t need either of them. 

The SECSECSEC is already dominating CFB and the playoffs. They are already printing money faster than they can spend. Their media presence is already huge - even in Texas. Their teams already get the pick of the litter in recruiting.

E.S.P.N.

They want to control, it is argued they already do, but they want to run CFB free and clear of anything the NCAA has to say about it.

Nope, they want a league made up of the elite few - basically the blue bloods and a few others.

So, start with the biggest conference first as your foundation. and then start picking off teams bit by bit.

They probably would have been cool to stand at 16 for awhile why GORd expire but the rumblings coming from the BIG/PAC this week that they aren’t ready for change means they need to give the elites in those conferences a little nudge and they do that by moving on without them vis-a-vie further expansion now.

SEC wants UT and OU because (despite already making a shit ton of money) those two schools will make the conference (and the other 14 teams) even MORE money. Tech and Osu do not. 

• Hook 'Em 2

51 minutes ago, BluTechsan said:

E.S.P.N.

Texas and OU give them lots more money.  Anyone else who is available other than Notre Dame doesn't.

16 minutes ago, Speedway said:

E. Gordon Gee, University of West Virginia President, has stated he is no longer in favor of a 12 team playoff format.  I would suspect his vote flip-flop is an effort to leverage his seat on the College Football Playoff Board of Directors for a spot in the ACC for West Virginia.  That would put the proverbial stake in the Walking Dead Big XII.

WVU is the one school they could probably lose.  Now maybe WVU is the most valuable remaining school, but losing them doesn't hurt the cohesion.

10 minutes ago, bullet said:

WVU is the one school they could probably lose.  Now maybe WVU is the most valuable remaining school, but losing them doesn't hurt the cohesion.

Would a seven team Big XII even qualify as a conference???  I thought one more Big XII school leaving and the conference is dissolved?

Edited by Speedway

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

From IT's Humidor.

All signs still point towards this being the swan song for Texas and OU in the Big 12. We still hear it’s fluid, but IT believes that’s more about the details of how the exit transpires more so than whether it will after this season.

…it’s fluid…

42 minutes ago, Speedway said:

Would a seven team Big XII even qualify as a conference???  I thought one more Big XII school leaving and the conference is dissolved?

27 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

I think 4 have to leave for GOR to be nuked.

I believe that is correct.  

But the larger issue here for the Big 12....if I recall correctly (and it's possible I'm not) that they need to stay at 10 teams to keep their existing media contracts whole.  If they dip below that number, then Fox and ESPN have the right to lower what the payout is on the remaining years.  

I may be conflating this with something else, but I seem to recall this being an issue when A&M and Missouri left; that the conference had to get back to at least 10 teams in short order.

• Hook 'Em 2

This is why the Pac 12 didn't have to expand. If each school in the Pac 12 is getting an ACC and Big 10 team twice a year while keeping their existing slice of the pie, why bring on schools that don't really add that much in the Big 8 leftovers? Maybe the Pac 12 goes away after their TV ends but Tech, oSu, and others weren't going to make a new TV deal any better.  

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, mdmost said:

This is why the Pac 12 didn't have to expand. If each school in the Pac 12 is getting an ACC and Big 10 team twice a year while keeping their existing slice of the pie, why bring on schools that don't really add that much in the Big 8 leftovers? Maybe the Pac 12 goes away after their TV ends but Tech, oSu, and others weren't going to make a new TV deal any better.  

It still doesn’t make it better for their tv money.  The only thing this might help (notice I said help not solve) it getting their programs more attention especially if they spread these alliance games into October instead of clumping them all in September like the majority of OOC games.

What this tells me is USC/Oregon are leaving at some point.  Any conference that says, we should play less conference games because people don’t care about them and instead play schools on the other side of the country is basically admitting that their conference sucks and advertising their weakness to their members, TV partners and future poachers.  This is the opposite from the the Big Ten did and the SEC is doing.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

I actually like this. Should lead to more good non-conference games every year.

Man, it's great.  But I can foresee a caste system where Clemson never will play Oregon State, but will get their chance with Oregon/USC, and so forth.

Meanwhile, Rutgers will have to endure such Alliance "matchups" as Wake Forest and Washington State.

In other words, the haves are gonna play the haves in this Alliance.  The have-nots are gonna play with each other.  Because that's what TV will want.  Good luck selling a Cal season ticket package that includes Illinois and Boston College.

Edited by Francisco 2.0

5 hours ago, Lou_Sassle said:

SEC wants UT and OU because (despite already making a shit ton of money) those two schools will make the conference (and the other 14 teams) even MORE money. Tech and Osu do not. 

You know what else gives them a shit ton of money?

ESPN’s League of Blue Blood College Football which is where this is all going.

There’s actually several things that can be all happening at the same time.

* the ESPN and SECSECSEC want an expanded CFP ($$$$$$)

* the “hand shake alliance” is a voting block against CFP expansion unless concessions are made that guarantees they each get 2 teams in

* the PAC not expanding might be an indication that it is they who might implode with USC and Oregon heading west to join the League of Blue Blood College Football

* the remaining B12 are scrambling to find new landing spots for both the long term and short term (short term being 3-5 yrs)

* The non SEC blue bloods are posturing and saying one thing publicly while trying to figure out how to leave their respective conferences and media deals

* If no “alliance” blue bloods leave now, the the League of Blue Blood College Football will take other teams as a stop gap for the short term to get things rolling. This is how Tech and oSu get in the mix. 

* It’s possible that Big12 expansion talks are including non-blue bloods from the “alliance” conferences just to test the water. If true, the League of non-Blue Blood College Football could be pretty good and be worthy of decent media attention ($$$)

It’s fascinating to watch how all the pieces and moving parts are playing out.

But, having said all that, I hope none of it happens. And I don't say that because I pull for a team that isn’t a blue blood. I say that because I don’t wish to see CFB become NFL lite.

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, BluTechsan said:

* the PAC not expanding might be an indication that it is they who might implode with USC and Oregon heading west to join the League of Blue Blood College Football

* East

Unless there's a Japanese CFB league they wish to be a part of.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

51 minutes ago, BluTechsan said:

You know what else gives them a shit ton of money?

ESPN’s League of Blue Blood College Football which is where this is all going.

There’s actually several things that can be all happening at the same time.

* the ESPN and SECSECSEC want an expanded CFP ($$$$$$)

* the “hand shake alliance” is a voting block against CFP expansion unless concessions are made that guarantees they each get 2 teams in

* the remaining B12 are scrambling to find new landing spots for both the long term and short term (short term being 3-5 yrs)

* The non SEC blue bloods are posturing and saying one thing publicly while trying to figure out how to leave their respective conferences and media deals

* If no “alliance” blue bloods leave now, the the League of Blue Blood College Football will take other teams as a stop gap for the short term to get things rolling. This is how Tech and oSu get in the mix. 

* It’s possible that Big12 expansion talks are including non-blue bloods from the “alliance” conferences just to test the water. If true, the League of non-Blue Blood College Football could be pretty good and be worthy of decent media attention ($$$)

It’s fascinating to watch how all the pieces and moving parts are playing out.

But, having said all that, I hope none of it happens. And I don't say that because I pull for a team that isn’t a blue blood. I say that because I don’t wish to see CFB become NFL lite.

200w.gif

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Speedway said:

What a fucking moron.  Does he not realize by being left out of the cuck coalition, the big 12 is licking glass right along with window coug?  The big 12 will be passed over continually.  An expanded playoff is there best option in getting into the playoffs more than once every quarter century....

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, mdmost said:

The Big 10 and ACC aren't going to drop valuable teams for Pac teams.  Others have said the Pac is driving this.  I can't see the Big 10 seeing any value in this.  How many Big 10 teams want to play Arizona and Utah and skip Ohio St. or Michigan?

27 minutes ago, Gaffords said:

What a fucking moron.  Does he not realize by being left out of the cuck coalition, the big 12 is licking glass right along with window coug?  The big 12 will be passed over continually.  An expanded playoff is there best option in getting into the playoffs more than once every quarter century....

I think he’s trying to parlay his vote into an invite from the SEC or ACC. It’s a desperation move.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bullet said:

The Big 10 and ACC aren't going to drop valuable teams for Pac teams.  Others have said the Pac is driving this.  I can't see the Big 10 seeing any value in this.  How many Big 10 teams want to play Arizona and Utah and skip Ohio St. or Michigan?

If SC and Oregon leave, then Mich and tOSU will follow them to “Japan” to join the SECSECSEC in ESPN’s Blue Blood League

2 hours ago, GTX Horn said:

I think he’s trying to parlay his vote into an invite from the SEC or ACC. It’s a desperation move.

No doubt...   But he should be clawing for expanded playoffs.   I'm not sure the ACC (or SEC) are jumping at the chance of adding WVU.

WVU has been passed over like a week old Sonic corn dog time and time again. So I don't think I would bet the farm on his batphone blowing up any time soon. But with an expanded playoff, the Ir8 has the option of expanding and trying to compete with 1/4 of the income of the other P5s, sniffing the playoffs every few years, or dissolving the Big 12 and drop the P5 dream for now.   Face it, how many are really going to want to stay in P5 Big 12 with a TV deal that barely covers the cost of a totally untested coaching staff and the grey hound  tickets to ferry their teams around...  

Assuming the expanded playoffs was going to have a slot or two reserved for worthy Have Nots, the Ir8s probably could've made more by some going east and some west.  They might have taken another mill or so hit playing in the lower league, but with an easier route into the playoffs, they probably would've come out ahead money wise and not stress falling further and further behind their peers....  

But the writing is on the wall, the Big 10 has always wanted a 4 team, Champions model (at least until meat chicken comes back around and a 1 loss Mich or OSU routinely gets left out for a 2-3 otro champ).  By leaving the Big 12 out, they decided to leave the whale beached to die, but if it does survive somehow, they effectively froze it out of the playoffs unless one of the other champs really tank on their season.

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The Big 12 snubbing UH again would lead to some very public meltdowns here in Houston. Tillman, Whitmire. SJL and Turner would probably have a press conference to condemn it. Matt Thomas would carry it around like the bitter little bitch he is. 

So yeah, I’m here for it. 

Maybe they'd have a Texas legislative hearing to rake Tech, TCU, and Baylor over the coals for being evil and selfish?

Nah, childish shenanigans like that would never happen within such an august body.  Right?

On 8/25/2021 at 7:27 PM, Francisco 2.0 said:

My God.  The mind reels over the thought of some of the LSU faithful roaming free in Vegas.  

Then again, parts of it's not much different than Bourbon Street.

right, but Bourbon street the hookers cost less and there is the scent of corn dogs on the corners...