Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

5 minutes ago, Saint Austin said:

Little late for that. A year ago, they could have had their pick of Big 12 schools. Now they'll be limited to Mountain West options.

Seriously. Bowslby sucked shit but goddamn this guy might be worse. Turn your nose at little ‘ol Okie State just to end up dead. Morons.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

You know what conference had seamless geography, a plethora of wildly entertaining hate filled regional rivalries, and would have made a fuck ton of cash if it had stayed together?

The original Big 12.  The original Big 12 was a hell of a lot better than that Pac 16 would have been.  But y'all (and I'm referring to everyone - Aggy, Nebraks, CU, Mizzou, OU - here - not just UT) just couldn't stand to play schools that were near you and you hated, so you had to fuck it all up.

Dipshits.

I agree, the Big 12 version 1.0 was pretty exciting to watch at times, but it won't touch the SEC for me once OU and Texas join...It was still a great conference with regional rivalries...

I think the only thing that would have put the Big 12 Version 1.0 over the new version of the SEC for me would have been if Arky and LSU were members, and if OU had been able to play Nebraska every year on Thanksgiving...

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Kliavkoff (whatever) is now taking shots at the Big 12 for trying to destabilize the Pac 12, but makes zero mention of the league that, ya know, actually took his two most valuable properties.

Cuckery?

No doubt.

It's mind-boggling that there are still B1G and PAC fans that blame evil old Texas for the realignment that occurred in 2010, despite the fact that none of it would have happened if the B1G hadn't announced expansion and poached Nebraska.

16 minutes ago, Azbadlands said:

I agree, the Big 12 version 1.0 was pretty exciting to watch at times, but it won't touch the SEC for me once OU and Texas join...It was still a great conference with regional rivalries...

I think the only thing that would have put the Big 12 Version 1.0 over the new version of the SEC for me would have been if Arky and LSU were members, and if OU had been able to play Nebraska every year on Thanksgiving...

This was the Big12 1.0's biggest mistake, not preserving that rivalry. Of course, Nebraska probably assumed they'd win the North most years and didn't want to play OU B2B at season's end. Unfortunately, it didn't work out that way.

Oh, well. I'm rooting for the new Big12 to poach a couple of Pac teams and negotiate a release settlement with UT. It's time to move on.

16 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

This was the Big12 1.0's biggest mistake, not preserving that rivalry. Of course, Nebraska probably assumed they'd win the North most years and didn't want to play OU B2B at season's end. Unfortunately, it didn't work out that way.

Oh, well. I'm rooting for the new Big12 to poach a couple of Pac teams and negotiate a release settlement with UT. It's time to move on.

I read a while back that ou chose to keep our game over Nebraska's.  Couldn't have both.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I seem to recall half of them being in the Big 12.

And that criticism is even more applicable to Nebraska, Mizzou, and CU.

If the original B12 had stayed together, then I could see this summer as being the summer that it got nuked by both the B1G and SEC. Texas, aggy, OU, plus 1 to the SEC (Missouri would look like a shit pile in that scenario). Colorado, Nebraska, USC, and UCLA to the B1G. The B12 likely dissolves, and the rest go non P5. 

Edited by Vertigo

10 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I read a while back that ou chose to keep our game over Nebraska's.  Couldn't have both.

I remember when Neb went to the north, they offered to play ou as a non-con game in the years that they were out of rotation, but Neb was really good and ou had John Blake, so ou declined. 

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Sandman said:

I remember when Neb went to the north, they offered to play ou as a non-con game in the years that they were out of rotation, but Neb was really good and ou had John Blake, so ou declined. 

I can see that. The SEC already had one permanent cross-division annual game. No reason the Big XII couldn't do it. I think it was fear that OU/Nebraska would be a guaranteed loss for one and make them less likely to win the division.

54 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

If the original B12 had stayed together, then I could see this summer as being the summer that it got nuked by both the B1G and SEC. Texas, aggy, OU, plus 1 to the SEC (Missouri would look like a shit pile in that scenario). Colorado, Nebraska, USC, and UCLA to the B1G. The B12 likely dissolves, and the rest go non P5. 

IF the original Big 12 had stayed together and IF they had been the originators of a conference channel in 2007, odds are they'd have been more aggressors over the past decade than being defensive.  BTN is the engine that drives the Big Ten's financial power.   The Big 12 just couldn't get out of their own way of making terrible decisions and today is the end result.

With those brands, and a financial plan, the Big 12 could have reached into LA instead of the Big Ten, who would have been pushed east.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

The Big 10 and SEC wouldn't have as much power if they hadn't snagged Nebraska and Aggy back then.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Sandman said:

Yeah OU didn't want to be the only team to play both Texas and Nebraska in the same year.   That was one of the original cracks in the Big 12's foundation.

If the Big 12 had forced Nebraska and OU to play annually, one of them would have get butthurt about it and used it as an excuse to leave.

There was always an underlying "the grass is greener elsewhere" mentality among the power brokers in the league.  They never brought the tOSU/Mich mentality.  If Nebraska, Aggy, OU, and UT had ever worked together instead of just screaming at each other and blaming the others for everything, the Big 12 could have been as rock solid as the Big 10 and the SEC are today.  None of those schools were all that willing to be good partners to each other and they all eventually left, pointing fingers at the others on their way out the door.

Maybe a better commissioner could have soothed Nebraska's jealousy of Texas and found a way to get Osborne and Dodds to play nice with each other?  Who knows.  Aggy's UT complex was always going to be a problem, but again, they're back in the same league but they've both come crawling to said league to escape some perceived disadvantage in the Big 12 and won't wield the power they once had.

If the Queen had balls she'd be King, I guess.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I can see that. The SEC already had one permanent cross-division annual game. No reason the Big XII couldn't do it. I think it was fear that OU/Nebraska would be a guaranteed loss for one and make them less likely to win the division.

OU didn't want to saddle itself with the most difficult conference slate every year.  At the time, playing Nebraska, Texas, and A&M annually would have done that.  

Hypothetically, you could have set up Texas or A&M with an annual game against the Buffs - who were elite when the Big 12 was formed - and that might have helped OU with the Huskers.  But that still left one of those two without a "peer" North division school as a cross-division opponent.  Texas and OU weren't going to sign on for CU and Nebraska, annually, while A&M played a pre-Pinkel Mizzou.    

KSU hadn't shaken off their historical stink, ISU and Mizzou were both terrible at the time, and KU wasn't a good enough program to be the annual opponent of Texas or A&M.

The SEC's cross-division slate always worked because they had a "Big 6."  The two divisions could be balanced, with balanced schedules.  The Big 12 1.0 need another heavy-ish hitter in the North.  The best option out there for that was BYU (which was rolling and had a recent-ish NC and Heisman winner) but it would have meant being a 14 team league.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

You know what conference had seamless geography, a plethora of wildly entertaining hate filled regional rivalries, and would have made a fuck ton of cash if it had stayed together?

The original Big 12.  The original Big 12 was a hell of a lot better than that Pac 16 would have been.  But y'all (and I'm referring to everyone - Aggy, Nebraks, CU, Mizzou, OU - here - not just UT) just couldn't stand to play schools that were near you and you hated, so you had to fuck it all up.

Dipshits.

4 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Dipshits.

I liked the original Big XII a lot.  If we could have booted Baylor and added Arkansas - that would have been perfect.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

Just now, TrashMaster G said:

I liked the original Big XII a lot.  If we could have booted Baylor and added Arkansas - that would have been perfect.

Yeah, that would have been fantastic.

I can't imagine Arkansas would have gone back to working with 3 former SWC schools that quickly though.

14 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Yeah, that would have been fantastic.

I can't imagine Arkansas would have gone back to working with 3 former SWC schools that quickly though.

Yup. If you could have peeled off LSU (longshot but hypothetical) I think the XII would still be together today and on par with the SEC and BIG.

20 minutes ago, camel at sea said:

OU didn't want to saddle itself with the most difficult conference slate every year.  At the time, playing Nebraska, Texas, and A&M annually would have done that.  

Hypothetically, you could have set up Texas or A&M with an annual game against the Buffs - who were elite when the Big 12 was formed - and that might have helped OU with the Huskers.  But that still left one of those two without a "peer" North division school as a cross-division opponent.  Texas and OU weren't going to sign on for CU and Nebraska, annually, while A&M played a pre-Pinkel Mizzou.    

KSU hadn't shaken off their historical stink, ISU and Mizzou were both terrible at the time, and KU wasn't a good enough program to be the annual opponent of Texas or A&M.

The SEC's cross-division slate always worked because they had a "Big 6."  The two divisions could be balanced, with balanced schedules.  The Big 12 1.0 need another heavy-ish hitter in the North.  The best option out there for that was BYU (which was rolling and had a recent-ish NC and Heisman winner) but it would have meant being a 14 team league.  

I'm pretty sure Alabama's permanent cross-division was Tennessee when they were still a major powerhouse. Sounds like some bitchassedness tbh. They could have implemented a rule that cross-division games don't count for determining division winners if it was that big of a concern.

Edited by 'stache

6 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I'm pretty sure Alabama's permanent cross-division was Tennessee when they were still a major powerhouse.

Yeah.  Tennessee's stature when the SEC expanded to 12 is the point.  

Bama - Tennessee
Auburn - Georgia
LSU - Florida

Each of the "Big 6" had a peer school as a cross-division rival so they were able to put together balanced schedules.  That couldn't work in the Big 12 1.0.  If Bama is playing Kentucky annually I guarantee Auburn and LSU would have had a bigger problem with their set-up.  As it was, LSU complained a lot about being stuck with Florida.    

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

If the Big 12 had forced Nebraska and OU to play annually, one of them would have get butthurt about it and used it as an excuse to leave.

There was always an underlying "the grass is greener elsewhere" mentality among the power brokers in the league.  They never brought the tOSU/Mich mentality.  If Nebraska, Aggy, OU, and UT had ever worked together instead of just screaming at each other and blaming the others for everything, the Big 12 could have been as rock solid as the Big 10 and the SEC are today.  None of those schools were all that willing to be good partners to each other and they all eventually left, pointing fingers at the others on their way out the door.

Maybe a better commissioner could have soothed Nebraska's jealousy of Texas and found a way to get Osborne and Dodds to play nice with each other?  Who knows.  Aggy's UT complex was always going to be a problem, but again, they're back in the same league but they've both come crawling to said league to escape some perceived disadvantage in the Big 12 and won't wield the power they once had.

If the Queen had balls she'd be King, I guess.

In fairness to Nebraska and the other schools at the time, Dodds was kind of a dick when we were up. If CDC was the AD during the Mack era, I bet the conference doesn't split. He is a much better ambassador and much more inclusive than Dodds ever was. I realize I am saying this as he engineered the exit to the SEC, but the landscape today is very different. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vertigo said:

In fairness to Nebraska and the other schools at the time, Dodds was kind of a dick when we were up. If CDC was the AD during the Mack era, I bet the conference doesn't split. He is a much better ambassador and much more inclusive than Dodds ever was. I realize I am saying this as he engineered the exit to the SEC, but the landscape today is very different. 

Dodds was just generally a dick all the time for no particular reason. God that dude was garbage. He got all this credit for shit that he had nothing to do with. Like "wow look at how UT's athletics revenue was way up!" Well no shit, the whole fucking country's athletics revenue was way up between like 1980 and 2013. 

Anyway he is gone. The only thing I have to endure is that street we named after him.

He did hire Garrido and Barnes so that was nice. Doesn't quite make up for all the shitty decisions he made though.

• Hook 'Em 1

Will another domino fall soon? I say no, so stay tuned over the next 1000 days to find out which conference(s) survive and which die. And, which schools take a big haircut but luckily stay in an automatic qualifier conferences, and, which schools are cast aside and RELEGATED!!. Feel the intense drama of a shitstorm dumpster fire in suspended animation.   

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 'stache said:

Seriously. Bowslby sucked shit but goddamn this guy might be worse. Turn your nose at little ‘ol Okie State just to end up dead. Morons.

Well they could have had Texas in 1990, but chose not to.

2 hours ago, LTbear said:

Lobbing haymakers at the Big XII but not saying anything about the B1G looks pretty pathetic.

Yeah.  Sounds desperate.

2 hours ago, DFW Horn said:

Nobody has to "try to destabilize" the Pac.

UO and UW athletic directors absence from your media days speaks volumes. K sounds like an empty suit who was asleep at the wheel. Bowlsby's protege'? 

Oregon and Washington applied to the Big 10 several weeks ago.  Every team has reached out to the Big 10 (and every Big 12 and ACC team also according to Big 10 sources).

5 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Nebraska is still a weird fit in the Big 10.  They were right where they belonged.  CU I can kinda see, but that's not exactly working out the way they imagined.

Aggy was always the best fit in the SEC out of the old Big 12, but they were a better fit where they were.  

If "ifs" "ands" and "buts" were candy and nuts, then everyday would be Christmas.   

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

After listening, gotta cross-post this here... 

Good piece.  Big 10 didn't need USC and UCLA.  They could have waited a decade for ACC schools who fit better rather than flying USC and UCLA women's softball games all around the midwest (to paraphrase our President Powers on why he wasn't interested in Big 10).  We don't need a P5, but a P2 is just too few.

And at this point the Pac 10 and ACC egos seem to be getting in the way of a logical effort to create a P3 & 4 that are competitive financially (competitive, not anywhere near equal).  If the Pac refills with a bunch of MWC schools, the gap vs. the P2 grows.  The Pac 12 had the choice to take a bunch of Big 12 schools last summer before expansion, 3 of which they were going to add in 2010.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sandman said:

2 hours ago, Hurtlocker said:

Yeah OU didn't want to be the only team to play both Texas and Nebraska in the same year.   That was one of the original cracks in the Big 12's foundation.

2 hours ago, 'stache said:

I'm pretty sure Alabama's permanent cross-division was Tennessee when they were still a major powerhouse. Sounds like some bitchassedness tbh. They could have implemented a rule that cross-division games don't count for determining division winners if it was that big of a concern.

All that they had to do was launch the new Nebraska-A&M rivalry so everyone in the love triangle would play each other annually.  Bonus if they held a contest for early 1990s Shaggy  to design the trophy. 

I don't know that it guarantees peace in our time though.  Texas has always looked around when times are hard. 

• Fuck You 3