2023 Transfer Thread - Texas Capitalized, ATM Victimized

I figured with JBrooks being a guy who’s had primarily garbage time carries (and very few of them) and Baxter being a true freshman that Blue would get plenty of opportunities.  I see Keilan as getting more plays but not necessarily traditional between the tackles running.  

we’ve been lucky with Robinson and Johnson being durable but I’d hate to see Blue leave.  He hasn’t gotten enough carries to know if he’s any good.  

Edited by Lhorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

Dear lord is Brooks that bad a tackler also? I don't think I've ever bothered looking up his PFF stuff since the sample size is so small. I know Holmes was in the like low 30s in tackling over his time at WF when I was looking at some of his film and got curious. I assumed (always a mistake apparently) that Brooks was at least a somewhat decent tackler if they were even remotely considering a move to safety for him. 

Brooks is 17 (maybe now 18) so he can still get better, but I know he was the youngest player in our class at like 16 or 17. He's still growing mentally, physically, and age. We've seen that he can also be a damn good corner. He held his own pretty well against the UW WR'S. 

17 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

I think we can roll the dice a little at safety. I still think there is a good chance Jordan ends up at safety long term, especially with Holmes and Muhammad coming in. Williams will be a factor early at safety as well.

We've got BJ Allen, Derek Williams, and possibly Jordan moving to S. This talk about Brooks to S is nonsense. Why do people keep bringing it up? 

5 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

We've got BJ Allen, Derek Williams, and possibly Jordan moving to S. This talk about Brooks to S is nonsense. Why do people keep bringing it up? 

Because too many posters be like:

Retard GIFs - Get the best gif on GIFER

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, ATXhorn17 said:

I don’t have anything against him, and I hope he still has an amazing career at Texas (if he chooses to stay). From my POV, he hasn’t looked particularly explosive or elusive in his limited action here.

But you should adopt that New Year’s resolution for yourself, dip shit! He didn’t play his senior year because he PUNCHED HIS OWN COACH. He didn’t sit out willingly. CTJ and Gerry H have both insinuated that Blue has serious character issues.

To be fair, Sark has only given him 15 carries this season behind the 3rd string o-line, so I wouldn't expect anyone to look good. I hope he stays because he was a good RB in hs and I think with a good line in front of him he could potentially be more than serviceable. I know everyone is anointing Baxter as "the one", but we haven't seen him play a down of CFB yet, so I'd rather keep Blue until Baxter shows he, too, won't be a bust (I don't think he will be, but shit happens like ACL/MCL tears, car accidents; see Sanders, Trey another former #1 RB recruit). Right now we have Brooks and Blue as our backs, and I guess Wisner, but he seems more in the mold of Keilan, albeit with much, much less speed, and he's also a frosh who may or may not pan out. 

And do we even know if Keilan is comijg back, anyway?

Edited by Spider2YBanana
  • Hook 'Em 1

Why would Williams automatically leave if Jones comes back? It's not uncommon for guys to wait their turn, and he would be a RS-SOPH, anyway by the time he gets his shot if Christian comes back. He'll get opportunities to play next year and still get stronger. Are these guys really that impatient that they can't wait one more year? The fuck do they think they would be doing at Bama, UGA, tOSU, etc? 

1 hour ago, Duane Moore said:

Not sure how to feel about the whole Christian Jones staying another year thing. Good arguments on both sides. Am I a sheep if I put my trust in Kyle Flood to make the right call on this?

Don’t trust the coaches. Surly knows best, which is why we tried to replace Jones with pretty much anyone before the season.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Don’t trust the coaches. Surly knows best, which is why we tried to replace Jones with pretty much anyone before the season.

"Hayden Conner is by far our best lineman so he'll be at left tackle." - Ian Boyd 

We were also trying to accurately rank the three best WRs in Texas football history. Roy Williams, Jordan Shipley, and Xavier Worthy. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

27 minutes ago, Red Five said:

"Hayden Conner is by far our best lineman so he'll be at left tackle." - Ian Boyd 

We were also trying to accurately rank the three best WRs in Texas football history. Roy Williams, Jordan Shipley, and Xavier Worthy. 

Well Jordan > Roy due to his ability in big games. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, FreeHorn said:

The issue is you’ve told him and his family all year that next year is his year. To compound that you wasted a year of eligibility this year for him. You didn’t preserve his redshirt this year like we did other linemen. Didn’t even try. And it’s not like he burned his redshirt getting OLine snaps. You burned his redshirt on field goals and extra points. When his family had questions about the wasted year you told them that there was no way he would be here longer than 4 years no matter what,  because where you project him and talent to take him. So lose a year of eligibility and then have to sit another year. At least give him a chance to compete, preferably at tackle where he has been all year. It is not 100% he will transfer but Flood and Sark are going to have to do a major sell job. Some kids take you at your word and really want to compete/play. 

Who cares? I think Williams has potential but oline takes time to develop into a quality starter let alone a potential all conference player.

TCU and Michigans lines are all RS Jrs and older. Experience and age are massively important on the oline.

• Hook 'Em 3

Re: CB & tackling

1. Deion Sanders was one of the worst tackling CB's in the NFL. (he funny)

2. Prime Time was also the best cover corner in the history of the NFL. (Hall of Fame)

One of those skills is a dime a dozen. Tackling can be taught.

If you find the other, keep it. Either you got it or you don't.

Not saying any of our players/prospects are either, particularly if they're still teenagers. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Why would Williams automatically leave if Jones comes back? It's not uncommon for guys to wait their turn, and he would be a RS-SOPH, anyway by the time he gets his shot if Christian comes back. He'll get opportunities to play next year and still get stronger. Are these guys really that impatient that they can't wait one more year? The fuck do they think they would be doing at Bama, UGA, tOSU, etc? 

Williams played in every game on STs. He didn’t RS.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, PTINS said:

Re: CB & tackling

1. Deion Sanders was one of the worst tackling CB's in the NFL. (he funny)

2. Prime Time was also the best cover corner in the history of the NFL. (Hall of Fame)

One of those skills is a dime a dozen. Tackling can be taught.

If you find the other, keep it. Either you got it or you don't.

Not saying any of our players/prospects are either, particularly if they're still teenagers. 

are you suggesting someone can’t learn how to cover?  or improve at it?

3 hours ago, FreeHorn said:

The issue is you’ve told him and his family all year that next year is his year. To compound that you wasted a year of eligibility this year for him. You didn’t preserve his redshirt this year like we did other linemen. Didn’t even try. And it’s not like he burned his redshirt getting OLine snaps. You burned his redshirt on field goals and extra points. When his family had questions about the wasted year you told them that there was no way he would be here longer than 4 years no matter what,  because where you project him and talent to take him. So lose a year of eligibility and then have to sit another year. At least give him a chance to compete, preferably at tackle where he has been all year. It is not 100% he will transfer but Flood and Sark are going to have to do a major sell job. Some kids take you at your word and really want to compete/play. 

Seems dumb of the staff to ever waste a season on pure special teams. It's impossible to 100% predict that anyone will go pro in 3 years.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, LebongJames said:

Who cares? I think Williams has potential but oline takes time to develop into a quality starter let alone a potential all conference player.

TCU and Michigans lines are all RS Jrs and older. Experience and age are massively important on the oline.

Give me a guy with 2 potential years over 1. Williams floor is far higher than Jones and losing guys like Williams is how we get into situations where we’re starting less talented offensive line and we’re wondering what went wrong  

12 minutes ago, futureman said:

are you suggesting someone can’t learn how to cover?  or improve at it?

I think he’s suggesting that elite coverage skill is much more something you’re born with than is the ability to tackle. 

It can be improved — Sanders learned how to cover and improved at it  — but no amount of practice will make even a fairly gifted CB into Sanders. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The OL is better next year if Jones returns. It's better in 2 years (and maybe 3 too) if Jones leaves now. That's basically the tradeoff most likely. With that in mind, hard to say no if he wants to come back.

I'm more interested in seeing what happens at G. That was the weakness this year. Really hope DJ develops enough to break into the starting lineup. He got a bunch of snaps in the bowl game so maybe he's getting there. Anyone know the snap split between him and Cole in that game, and who graded out higher?

9 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Cam Williams didn't RS (played on FG/XP team all season), so will be a true Soph in '23.  Also think he could play G if Jones returns at RT.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shonen said:

Cam Williams didn't RS (played on FG/XP team all season), so will be a true Soph in '23.  Also think he could play G if Jones returns at RT.

Good call, I didn't know that. But people are talking like it's a sure thing that he or another of the freshmen leave like waiting is something new across the country, and they wouldn't get their shit pushed in by grown men. Even Banks looked like shit a lot of the time, and I'd say he's unquestionably our most talented lineman even as a frosh. Campbell TBD, but I think he'll be a killer in time. 

6 hours ago, FreeHorn said:

Like I told another poster I didn't know he wasn't redshirted, so that's my bad. But we, like kids, want to take coaches at their word, even if they portray themselves to be "nice", they're all smiley glad-handing idiots who will pretty much say anything to get a kid to sign that LOI, so knowing what I know now, I'd be pissed, too. It (if in fact it was said and no just assumed was said) that he would be here no longer than 4 years, is just fucking stupid on so many levels. Why the fuck would you tell a kid that, knowing injuries can happen, a redshirt + injury, delayed development, others ahead of them, and the list goes on. 

11 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Brooks is 17 (maybe now 18) so he can still get better, but I know he was the youngest player in our class at like 16 or 17. He's still growing mentally, physically, and age. 

Unlike everyone else on the team? Kind of a dick move by Sark if he’s withholding access to the Fountain of Youth

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, SquishMitten said:

Unlike everyone else on the team? Kind of a dick move by Sark if he’s withholding access to the Fountain of Youth

Sark ain't the smartest person if you haven't noticed. Just recently he thought running Keilan Robinson up the middle time and time again was a better option than Brooks. The Man also allowed Ewers to throw 39 passes that Worthy either dropped or weren't even in the zip code of his intended receiver (which was probably Worthy, anyway). He's constantly trying to fit a square peg into a round hole like a toddler who constantly keeps getting close to the fireplace without learning. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Adari Haulcy would have raised the floor of the Safety room.  Instead we'll trot out a fucking freshman or convert a DB to Safety and watch him look completely fucking lost.

But, no worries, that next wave of uber-talented portal entrants is going to happen any day now.

Edited by Hiphopopotamos
  • Rage+1 3

On 12/31/2022 at 12:45 PM, Tex-19 said:

SIAP but Blue's social media continues to look more and more portal. V dumb to do based on one game, but whatever.

Besides him and Worthy, who else do we have on portal watch? Is Barron still at risk? Any other big names?

Just a rumor at this point but some of his high school teammates have been told he’s intending to transfer. FWIW. 

11 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Adari Haulcy would have raised the floor of the Safety room.  Instead we'll trot out a fucking freshman or convert a DB to Safety and watch him look completely fucking lost.

But, no worries, that next wave of uber-talented portal entrants is going to happen any day now.

Don't worry we have Michael Taeffe

• Rage+1 1

22 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Let's keep our fingers crossed for Jalen Catalon (a healthy Jalen Catalon, that is) as his presence should definitely raise the floor of the Safety room.

• Hook 'Em 1