Non-Texas weather. The all-encompassing thread

Parliament

Power was only off for about 3 hours, but quite a few furnaces didn't come back on (ours did).  HVAC companies are gonna be busy this weekend!  Fortunately, we have a wood stove in the basement and a fireplace on the main level. The only wood I have right now is cottonwood, though, and I hate the smell of it. And it doesn't burn very hot, either.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Burt said:

Power was only off for about 3 hours, but quite a few furnaces didn't come back on (ours did).  HVAC companies are gonna be busy this weekend!  Fortunately, we have a wood stove in the basement and a fireplace on the main level. The only wood I have right now is cottonwood, though, and I hate the smell of it. And it doesn't burn very hot, either.

bf03e673-9b68-4f78-97e2-1d5f39c63ea5_tex 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Parliament said:

-13 bike ride was uneventful.  Wore too many clothes.

IMG_0965.jpeg

Ah, the Salsa- Timberjack right?.  I've got one of those. I've only ridden mine a few times in the snow.  Does better than a 29, but don't you have a proper, rigid-fork fat bike?

This thread makes me glad it's not worse.  5-ish inches of snow in the Nashville burbs, another 1-2" expected by end of day, temps in the low to mid teens all day.  Not supposed to get above freezing again until Thursday.  School already cancelled tomorrow and Wednesday, I suspect they will be out all week.

4WD vehicle parked at the top of our steep-ish driveway, so I can get out when I have to - which I am sure I will at some point.  You gotta love being 'essential'!

On 1/14/2024 at 12:01 PM, Parliament said:

-13 bike ride was uneventful.  Wore too many clothes.

IMG_0965.jpeg

Maybe you should try an winter race - guy I used to work with has done this one for about the last decade, I thought you'd have to be a little crazy to do it on purpose. Just check and he is registered to do it again in a couple of weeks. 

https://www.exploreminnesota.com/event/arrowhead-ultra-135-race/9786

This weekend, my daughter went skiing in Aspen. Supposed to fly out of Denver today. Sections of I70 were closed for most of the day. She's been in the car for over 8 hours. They finally made it through the Eisenhower Tunnel and are now to Georgetown. Maybe another 1.5 - 2 hours to her friends place in Denver. Delta rebooked her flight to Wednesday.

This storm is shitshow.

3 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

You're only 59 miles from the SPAM museum so I'm not sure you have the right to ever complain about anything.

I grew up even closer to the SPAM museum, and am currently sitting at my desk 33.3 miles away from it.  Austin was one of the places my mom would go to get groceries, or we'd go to see movies as a kid.  One of my roommates from ISU (and still close friends) is a process engineer for Hormel.  He gives me free SPAM merch on a regular basis.

I've never actually visited the museum.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

Bostons been quiet the last few. We’ve had snow, mostly followed by rain. We got a dusting about a week ago, since a bunch of rain. The only thing I know - one of my sump pumps needs to be fixed, that’s why my basement flooded. 

Hell, it was 50 about 2 days ago. 

4 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

40s next week ftw. farmers should be able to start planting February 29th the way this is going

Don’t worry.  I’ll pull the planter out of the shed that last week of March and we’ll get a foot of snow first week of April.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, mooseoutfront said:

No clue, should I have?

made cheese enchiladas instead of chicken and dumplings

IMG_8075.jpeg

Season 4 of True Detective (Night Country) on HBO. Takes place in Alaska. If you're a fan of the original Season 1 with Matthew McConaughghehgnhey and Woody Harrelson, you'll probably want to get caught up. This character makes an appearance, and there's a link to the original. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

Had us a Herbstreit special last night here in OK.  It was centered east of OKC with 5.1 magnitude.   Felt this one more than any I experienced living in CA for 20+ years.  
IMG_1361.jpeg.29a31ca94761cc0490df79a16dbe026f.jpeg

Last night epicenter was 5m northwest of Prague, near Sparks. About the same location as the Herbstreit earthquake. Shook me out of bed all the way over in Mayes county.

21 hours ago, TexasHooch said:

Not only have I not used the snowblower this year, I haven't even had enough to shovel.  Hell, another week like this and I damn well may need the lawnmower.

I had to use mine on the 6" of snow we had a few weeks back.

I'm more pissed because I had to rebuild the gearbox of my 5 year old snow blower for the 2nd time because it appears I got a very defective unit. 

42 minutes ago, SamsCorner said:

Last night epicenter was 5m northwest of Prague, near Sparks. About the same location as the Herbstreit earthquake. Shook me out of bed all the way over in Mayes county.

Mistake, 2016 Herbstreit earthquake was near Pawnee, 2011 was the big Prague earthquake

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

April Nor'easter hit yesterday and today all of New England. The weather is absolutely disgusting today. 30s, wet and windy. Woke up to about 1" of heavy slush on everything, this is supposed to pass tonight.

Ideally this storm is supposed to push all cloud cover away and give us good skies for the eclipse on Monday. Totality is just minutes from our place in Vermont.

Edited by Captain Ron

Little treacherous taking the wife to the airport this morning but we may have only got 2-4” of snow today, was dreading my driveway since snow blower isn’t working but to my surprise a lot of it had melted off. 

21 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Little treacherous taking the wife to the airport this morning but we may have only got 2-4” of snow today, was dreading my driveway since snow blower isn’t working but to my surprise a lot of it had melted off. 

Profile pic checks out.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2024 at 9:02 PM, Captain Ron said:

The downside of this storm is that it knocked out power from my place in Vermont for almost 12 hours today. Vermont was hit pretty good with a good chunk of people out of power for the day. 

This blew out of Vermont quick yesterday. Clear skies for today’s eclipse. And it was a wonderful 60+ for that. So good. 

IMG_6099.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1