The American Death Spiral and Your Plan

25 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Applications are up just a tad. 

image.png.9ea18d2f3d4e735a19a5c639774c5056.png

Greece, specifically one of the Greek islands, is on our list of places to retire to permanently or at least for a few months out of the year. 

Reddit Texas has a few good threads about people leaving and others encouraging leaving folks to stay to try to keep Texas from staying a Republican state. The Rs have gerrymandered the fuck out of this state which guarantees them power for generations.

Yea, fuck that. Save for Austin, this state is a shithole. The dipshits can have this state. 

Edited by crash_davis
  • Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Yeah, I posted about this earlier. Some places that had visa programs are suspending them for the time being.

Sadly, if demand is this high by the time I would be able to afford or consider it, it will probably be too late. 

3 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Fuck.

2 hours ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

I've been looking at Malaysia and the Philippines. Europe seems like a pipe dream.

Malaysia is our fallback option.  Only one of us has to get a visa there.  And besides the parts that are heavier in Muslim population, and therefore follow shariah law, it's a pretty cool place.  The concern we have with moving there long term is if they decide to crack down on the homos...They spent a couple decades with the ruling party claiming that their biggest rivals were homos and then getting them thrown in jail so they would cease to be a threat.  

On that topic, do we think that southern Mexico is far enough away, or, do I also need to be concerned that the US is going to start invading bordering countries at some point as well?  I wouldn't mind it a lot if I could go live in the part of Mexico that has the best food in the entire fucking world.

• Hook 'Em 3

14 hours ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

On that topic, do we think that southern Mexico is far enough away, or, do I also need to be concerned that the US is going to start invading bordering countries at some point as well?  I wouldn't mind it a lot if I could go live in the part of Mexico that has the best food in the entire fucking world.

My buddy who hasn't lived in the US since 2012 or so lived in Malaysia for 3 years. He loved it. That being said, he did point out the more restrictive aspects of society there, lack of some freedoms, and yes, hatred of homosexuals as things he noticed. So be warned.

Do you really want to be moving closer to the equator? 

21 minutes ago, horn4life said:

Dark horn4life says:   Kill neighbor, BBQ neighbor.  Use BBQ to attract neighbor. Kill neighbor, BBQ neighbor.  Use BBQ to attract....

If you're going to implement this plan, can you at least move to Montgomery County? Statistically you'd be helping out the rest of us. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

My buddy who hasn't lived in the US since 2012 or so lived in Malaysia for 3 years. He loved it. That being said, he did point out the more restrictive aspects of society there, lack of some freedoms, and yes, hatred of homosexuals as things he noticed. So be warned.

Do you really want to be moving closer to the equator? 

Yeah, it seems like the closer to the equator, the less tolerant.   And hot.   Not good hot.  Bad hot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HenryJames said:

I doubt anyone moving to these countries are doing it for the climate change, but rather the anti-democratic policies of the US

Climate Change is everywhere, that's why it's best to move away from the Equator and/or higher elevation. So if you do move to Spain, make sure to move to the Spanish mountains. 

If the US goes full authoritarian apartheid, any move no matter how far is just a delaying tactic and passing a bigger bill on to the next generation.  With all of our flaws, the US has been the muscle of western democracy in the world.  The force that could offset Hitler's Germany and Stalin's Russia.  The force that helped preserve the geopolitical equilibrium that has existed since 1945.  What does the world look like with Putin's Russia and Xi's China unchecked by any such force?  Or worse if the US joins them as a force against democratic ideals?  Will all these options being bandied about like Spain or Portugal or Costa Rica exist as a safe-havens in that kind of world?

I think we ultimately have to pick some ground to take a stand on for what this country and humanity should be.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

8 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Sorry, but painting the US as a stabilizing force for good is highly problematic imo  We have been the exact opposite in many parts of the world.  

To your question as to what happens to safe havens around the world--really depends on what corporation has the most interest I suppose. 

We are certainly flawed, but I feel better at least in aspiration than what we've opposed and a counter balance to darker forces in the world.  I still feel we have to pick a ground to take a stand on for what this country should be, and that if we let it slip into a fascist/autocratic state, the world becomes a much darker place.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’ve spent a good portion of my life getting the government to acknowledge that I’m even human. Why the fuck should I hold any special regard for this country exactly?  It finally recognizes my right as a person to be free and within a decade is already openly talking about taking those rights away. When I talk about leaving rather than fighting it’s because I’ve already tried fighting. What’s left for me is to try to avoid getting thrown into the concentration camp in my golden years. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 3

On 7/20/2022 at 6:10 PM, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Fuck.

Malaysia is our fallback option.  Only one of us has to get a visa there.  And besides the parts that are heavier in Muslim population, and therefore follow shariah law, it's a pretty cool place.  The concern we have with moving there long term is if they decide to crack down on the homos...They spent a couple decades with the ruling party claiming that their biggest rivals were homos and then getting them thrown in jail so they would cease to be a threat.  

Sounds like a great fallback option...

21 hours ago, Goredho said:

If the US goes full authoritarian apartheid, any move no matter how far is just a delaying tactic and passing a bigger bill on to the next generation.  With all of our flaws, the US has been the muscle of western democracy in the world.  The force that could offset Hitler's Germany and Stalin's Russia.  The force that helped preserve the geopolitical equilibrium that has existed since 1945.  What does the world look like with Putin's Russia and Xi's China unchecked by any such force?  Or worse if the US joins them as a force against democratic ideals?  Will all these options being bandied about like Spain or Portugal or Costa Rica exist as a safe-havens in that kind of world?

I think we ultimately have to pick some ground to take a stand on for what this country and humanity should be.

This is true, I have a Canadian colleague and client who is Jewish and telling me to gtfo now but he says be careful, Canada usually follows the US. The sad part is the entire democratic world usually follows the US. Add that climate change knows no boundary and there are likely few places to hide. So far elevation is the only temperature salve I can find but with elevation comes forests which bring fires.  There truly may be no where to go.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

HUABS says that Latvian women are the most beautiful in the world, with Lithuanian and Estonian women right behind them. Something in the air in the Baltic states, I guess.

My former tennis coach is from Estonia and she is the most attractive 50+ year old woman you might ever put your eyes on. Blonde, blue eyes, tennis fit which is the best kind of fit. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

8 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

HUABS says that Latvian women are the most beautiful in the world, with Lithuanian and Estonian women right behind them. Something in the air in the Baltic states, I guess.

Had some friends do a Baltic trip years ago. They said the same thing about Latvia 

3 minutes ago, troph said:

This is true, I have a Canadian colleague and client who is Jewish and telling me to gtfo now but he says be careful, Canada usually follows the US. The sad part is the entire democratic world usually follows the US. Add that climate change knows no boundary and there are likely few places to hide. So far elevation is the only temperature salve I can find but with elevation comes forests which bring fires.  There truly may be no where to go.

A guy or gal can dream...

61CF14BF-48E6-46C3-8101-894918165184.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

they are tall AF if that is what you like. 

• Drool 1

23 hours ago, Goredho said:

We are certainly flawed, but I feel better at least in aspiration than what we've opposed and a counter balance to darker forces in the world.  I still feel we have to pick a ground to take a stand on for what this country should be, and that if we let it slip into a fascist/autocratic state, the world becomes a much darker place.

I agree, but I think after 2024, there may be no way to fight back without violence.  I'm a pacifist, so I think leaving is preferable to violence.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Biff Tannen said:

I agree, but I think after 2024, there may be no way to fight back without violence.  I'm a pacifist, so I think leaving is preferable to violence.  

I totally agree with your assessment, I just think this movement is going to come knocking on your door eventually wherever you go.  What we are experiencing is not constrained to the US, and if the US as it was in the 2nd half of the 20th century is out of the picture, it is going to more easily infect everywhere else.  The best chance to stop it is together, here and now vs piecemeal and spread across the globe at varying points in time.

• Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

What kind of violence are you anticipating, in that scenario?  Large scale, or one off terrorist type stuff?  What does it look like after the violence subsides?

22 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

What kind of violence are you anticipating, in that scenario?  Large scale, or one off terrorist type stuff?  What does it look like after the violence subsides?

It might look like The Troubles in Northern Ireland if one of the major political parties continues to side with paramilitary organizations that promote sectarian violence.

4 hours ago, troph said:

My former tennis coach is from Estonia and she is the most attractive 50+ year old woman you might ever put your eyes on. Blonde, blue eyes, tennis fit which is the best kind of fit. 

7 minutes ago, troph said:

my one example of estonia beautiful woman she is 5' 10" very tall.

200.gif

On 7/22/2022 at 8:15 AM, troph said:

liar !

prove me wrong hahaha

On 7/22/2022 at 8:15 AM, troph said:

There’s no way she’s hotter than Emmylou.