Wife interviewed for job, said don't contact current employer, and they did.

So there's a box on the application that says "May we contact your current employer?" and she checked no.

In another place on the application, she wrote "Please do not contact my current employer without my approval."

She pulled up the application and showed me both of these things.

djf.png

Today, they called her current employer, and shit hit the fan.

What do we do?

Degree of difficulty: The job she applied for is a state agency job.

Edited by Beau Vine

10 hours ago, swraith said:

At this point are you mostly concerned about fallout with existing employer ?

Seems kinda obvious.

I don't know what the legal ramifications are -- my gut says "not much".  What a shitty thing to do.  I guess they're interested in hiring her if they took that step.

Regarding state jobs:  not all suck.  I worked at UT doing research for years after grad school, and it was a cushy job.  Most of those people don't have any idea how easy their life is.

Edited by jimmyjazz

31 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Yearly quota: 1 phone call.

Except State Supervisor Missy McCornbread caught flak for none of her staff calling to check on anybody, so she sat them all down with phones and stacks of applications and told them to call EVERYBODY.

I assume there was some Soviet sort of decision making involved.

Edited by RDCanecutter

18 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Regarding state jobs:  not all suck.  I worked at UT doing research for years after grad school, and it was a cushy job.  Most of those people don't have any idea how easy their life is.

Working an indoors job at UT is as close to being an Eloi as it gets.

Current employer shouldn't be such a bitch about an employee looking for better opportunities.  There are tons of variables that go into those decisions beyond anything they can even control.  Wife is either an asset to them in which that should try to convince her to stay, or she's replaceable in which they should be fine with replacing her if the time comes.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Current employer shouldn't be such a bitch about an employee looking for better opportunities.  There are tons of variables that go into those decisions beyond anything they can even control.  Wife is either an asset to them in which that should try to convince her to stay, or she's replaceable in which they should be fine with replacing her if the time comes.

Bingo.

Counter argument: Her manager is a fuckwad who thinks everyone LOVES to work for him/her.

2 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Or somewhere in the middle, at which point they can work her twice as hard and make her feel like shit for trying to get another job.  If she goes, they got more work out of her than they expected.

8 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Plenty of people work jobs where their employer knows they will move on and actually wants to help them find something better if possible.

I wish I had worked at a place like this. I have never understood the attitude of keeping employees down and not letting them succeed. As if it's an insult to have a subordinate that does a good job. Usually those supervisors are afraid they'll look bad and don't want to be called out for their laziness or stupidity.

At my current job (state worker) I have a boss that openly tries to keep us from making more money. I don't understand that. You want people that don't want to put forth any extra effort, because they know you won't reward them for it? I never treated my guys/gals that way when I was a supervisor. I wanted to have the best crew and I wanted everyone to KNOW we were the best.

• Like 1

Not really sure why this is a negative? Now she has an "offer" (if she's a smart negotiator) to get more money, better perks, better hours or whatever.

She wants a better job, or more likely more money.  I also will say the same that many others have said.  Unless you are doing time in your job like a prisoner, then moving to the state is simply to make the rest of your life secure, as well as boring and frustrating as a mofo.