moar! Jon Hamm in leading role...Fargo S5

mchookem

• 2 months later...
Same.  Was season 4 good, people who watched?

It had potential to be great but disappointed in my opinion. I thought Tim Olyphant was wasted. I’d watch it during time of little to watch. It might be better bingeing vs as a weekly drop. I’ll likely wait on S5 to complete and binge it.
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I've kinda been out (kineduh bin oat) since the end of Season 2, but this looks great.

same here...S1 was great and S2 was absolutely outstanding, but i just couldn't get into S3/S4.

im all in on this one. intense! fantastic cast. loving the soundtrack!

also i don't know if she's had any work done, if so it's good/subtle...but JJL looks great. 

Edited by mchookem

My brain turned inside out at the scene with skinny lead actress housewife pdycho mom knitting on the couch as masked guy walked up onto the deck . . . 

Homages left and right like golden Easter eggs.  Great stuff.  Music has big juice.

First two episodes- big thumbs up

”Anyone takes my stuff does not get to live.”

Can’t get JJL, as she was in Fast Times at Ridgemont High, out of my head. Which makes me think of Phoebe Cates’ fine face, ass and tawny, perfect tits . . . Uhhh, . . . I gotta go!

Also, I like how they're finally getting the locational filming to match the listed setting.  Scandia is a quasi-suburb of Twin Cities near the St Croix River and looks the part.  Stark County, ND is way out on the west side of the state, and looks it.

The one thing that's always pedantically annoyed me as someone who lives basically in this part of the country is all the topographic/biome inaccuracies in contrast to their setting.  In the movie, they have Brainerd PD out on the prairie when Brainerd's in the woods.  In Season 2, Luverne is set in the north woods and it's out on the prairie.  Shit like that.

3 minutes ago, Brandywine said:

So someone who has not watched any Fargo, movie or TV, can jump into this and enjoy it?

I actually did watch the movie but it's been so many years that I can only remember bits and pieces. 

I would think so.  The call backs that those of us familiar with this universe are celebrating aren't necessary to understanding what's going on in this series.  Fargo the show essentially functions with each season being a stand alone story that has a few Easter Egg/cross over elements to other parts of the Coenverse that only enhance the experience for those in the know.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Brandywine said:

So someone who has not watched any Fargo, movie or TV, can jump into this and enjoy it?

I actually did watch the movie but it's been so many years that I can only remember bits and pieces. 

Yes.  I did not watch the previous season (and maybe even the one before it).  Each season is self-contained in terms of story. Even if you didn't see the movie you would be fine; you'd just miss out on all the references/familiarities. For example, and this is not really a spoiler, the husband of the female protagonist runs a car dealership.  

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Yes.  I did not watch the previous season (and maybe even the one before it).  Each season is self-contained in terms of story. Even if you didn't see the movie you would be fine; you'd just miss out on all the references/familiarities. For example, and this is not really a spoiler, the husband of the female protagonist runs a car dealership.  

And in both the movie and this season the couple who experienced the kidnapping have a dynamic of one coming from wealth, and the other not coming from wealth.  The wealthy family is a side character in both stories.

The kidnappers in both cases are a large, stoic, European man, and a smaller American man with a mustache.

In both stories the abductions happen in suburban Minneapolis, and the abductors take the victims west out on to the plains.

Both stories feature a strong willed female police officer investigating the crimes, who has to come home to deadbeat-ish/layabout husbands.

Ok, I'll quit.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Do I need to have watched the Chris Rock season that I assume was the most recent season in order to follow this? I would assume heavily not based on my recollection of the series but I feel like there’s been maybe a little carry over?

I couldn't even finish that season. Loved season 1 through 3, and this one so far though.

• Hook 'Em 1