The University of Texas @ Omaha, Session #38 Official Thread

TrashMaster G

One thing that’s interesting - the HR allowed for our starters: Pete (15), Lucas (2), Tristan (10). Pete is at 100 ip vs 80 for gordon and stevens, but wow pete has been hit hard. Wonder if its regression, bad luck, or the balls this year (maybe all three). Lucas giving up no homers is interesting, and makes me wonder how that changes matchup dynamics.

2 hours ago, salonghorn said:

How does the Omaha ball park match up for our HR hitters? 

Fine 

this ballpark is tailor made for this team. We got the power to homer there. Meanwhile Hansen, Gordon and Stevens aren’t easy to square up on. With Kennedy-Hodo-Campbell in the outfield, they have the speed to track down anything out there. We’re set, dudes 

Edited by Fletch
  • Hook 'Em 4

13 hours ago, Had Enough said:

I’d say Hansen, Stevens and Nixon have all had significantly worse seasons. Quintanilla, Madden and Witt are not actively playing. Who else really pitched last year?

It’s a little odd Stehle keeps getting all these chances. He’s good or crappy. Stevens is kinda the same out of the pen.

The only times we gave up more runs in back to back games than this weekend were against Air Force and OSU. I think we’re pretty much what we’ve been. Pretty solid with some implosion.

I generally think more highly of the pitching staff than most. Pierce has done a very poor job in certain cases. He did make the right call on Stevens the other night. I’d be interested to know why he and Stehle even seem to have longer leashes than others. That’s a weakness and a strength of Pierce. Awfully loyal to some but not others.

No idea what to expect in Omaha.

1 hour ago, DoneWithit said:

Nixon there’s just no positives at all. With Stevens he’s at least giving this team a reliable arm as of late. I don’t know if I’d put Pete in the same category as the other two because while he hasn’t been super dominant like last year, he’s still considered an ace and a really good college pitcher. But yeah you could still technically say he regressed from last year. 1.46 ERA last year, my goodness Pete. 

44 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Pete’s for sure the best and has had the best year. He’s also giving up 1.5 more runs per 9 than last year. That is significant because he had such a great year last year.

Yeah, I don't think Hansen is performing much worse than last year. He was always going to have some statistical regression because last year's ERA just isn't sustainable. The main difference is the ball are juiced this year. Hansen's WHIP is almost identical, his walks per 9 and SOs per 9 are actually improved from last year. The main difference is last year he gave up .3 HR per 9, this year it's 1.3. That has a lot more to do with the general increase in HRs in CBB this year than it does Hansen performing much worse this year. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Spaceman_Spiff said:

One thing that’s interesting - the HR allowed for our starters: Pete (15), Lucas (2), Tristan (10). Pete is at 100 ip vs 80 for gordon and stevens, but wow pete has been hit hard. Wonder if its regression, bad luck, or the balls this year (maybe all three). Lucas giving up no homers is interesting, and makes me wonder how that changes matchup dynamics.

7 of the 15 homers Hansen allowed were in the crackerjack box in Lubbock, K-State when the wind was blowing straight out and this past weekend at the East Carolina little league field.

The other outlier was the OSU start where he allowed 4 homers and if I remember the wind was blowing straight out that game as well and he just didn't have his good stuff.

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yeah, I don't think Hansen is performing much worse than last year. He was always going to have some statistical regression because last year's ERA just isn't sustainable. The main difference is the ball are juiced this year. Hansen's WHIP is almost identical, his walks per 9 and SOs per 9 are actually improved from last year. The main difference is last year he gave up .3 HR per 9, this year it's 1.3. That has a lot more to do with the general increase in HRs in CBB this year than it does Hansen performing much worse this year. 

Tl;dr

We’re good, nothing’s fucked 

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

7 of the 15 homers Hansen allowed were in the crackerjack box in Lubbock, K-State when the wind was blowing straight out and this past weekend at the East Carolina little league field.

The other outlier was the OSU start where he allowed 4 homers and if I remember the wind was blowing straight out that game as well and he just didn't have his good stuff.

Yeah you have to take into effect where our road series were in 2022. Lubbock and ECU is gonna skew that a lot. If we host supers, it wouldn’t look so bad 

8 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yeah this is what I was getting at with Pete. He had god like numbers last year and expecting him to replicate that would be insane. 

Was talking with a friend earlier today and was trying to remember.....was it the 2014 CWS when the wind was blowing in like 20 MPH the first few days and the outfielders were basically playing right behind the infield dirt? We beat like UC Irvine 1-0 on a solo home run in an elimination game.

Edited by Hookem2147

32 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

It is entirely possible that I am an idoit, but is it common knowledge that the balls in NCAA are juiced this season?  

29 minutes ago, Native Horn said:

It is entirely possible that I am an idoit, but is it common knowledge that the balls in NCAA are juiced this season?  

Similar question/thought, seeing just our own HR totals go apeshit YoY sure makes me wonder. We’ll find out in Omaha, seems like it would carry over as it seems to be a nationwide deal. Pitching gets better in Omaha though. 

Edited by bluto
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 6/13/2022 at 12:19 PM, MirrOlure said:

Yeah….but the worst was 1989, the first year they had the double elimination up to but not including the Championship game. We came through unscathed, then lost to Wichita St., who already had one loss. And we had Dressendorfer ready to go the next day. Fucking CBS needed a “guaranteed” Championship game to agree to nationally televise.

That fucking sucked so bad.  Was after my first year of law school and I hadn't been following too closely and was unaware of the format change.

Fucking WSU won what I thought was game 1 and was going apeshit and I was all WTF? WTFF?

• Rage+1 2

33 minutes ago, Native Horn said:

They always talk a lot about that kind of stuff, bat and ball changes, when it happens and I haven't heard a word.

I'm really thinking it must be this fucking wind.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, bluto said:

Similar question/thought, seeing just our own HR totals go apeshit YoY sure makes me wonder. We’ll find out in Omaha, seems like it would carry over as it seems to be a nationwide deal. Pitching gets better in Omaha though. 

The field is bigger than a lot of college parks. It’s why we’ve always had power there both in Rosenblatt and the new place. 

4 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

The field is bigger than a lot of college parks. It’s why we’ve always had power there both in Rosenblatt and the new place. 

This is why I love the disch. Plays very similar to Omaha. Gets us plenty of practice for our real home 

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

If only Ricky hadn’t gone pro in a certain sport other than football… and decided to play for Gus instead.

Decades ago there used to be a few football guys on the baseball team. Keith Moreland, of course, Peter Gardere and Darrick Duke also come to mind. Oh and Shea Morenz.

But nobody does that anymore. Multi-sport D1 guys are really rare much less in multiple major sports.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Decades ago there used to be a few football guys on the baseball team. Keith Moreland, of course, Peter Gardere and Darrick Duke also come to mind. Oh and Shea Morenz.

But nobody does that anymore. Multi-sport D1 guys are really rare much less in multiple major sports.

Johnny walker and some old eff named street

Edited by bluto
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, bluto said:

Johnny walker and some old eff named street

Oh right Walker. Street was before my time but yeah he was the best player on both the football and the baseball team. Definitely used his arm more playing baseball than playing QB.