The destruction of America's public education system

Captainant

Yep, I have 2 nieces who are teachers and each Summer on Prime Day we go in and pick stuff to buy for their classrooms.

One has her Masters in Education and an additional Masters( I cannot recall exactly, but it is related to SPED)  She makes under $40k per year.  That shit is insane.

2 hours ago, slorch said:

Yep, I have 2 nieces who are teachers and each Summer on Prime Day we go in and pick stuff to buy for their classrooms.

One has her Masters in Education and an additional Masters( I cannot recall exactly, but it is related to SPED)  She makes under $40k per year.  That shit is insane.

I don’t understand why anyone would want to start teaching in Texas today unless they had no other options. Same with many states.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

Pro tip:  You can buy Amazon gift cards and just give them to your kids' teachers.  Or VISA gift cards.  Or bags o' cash.  You don't have to just buy stuff on the wish list.

Encourage/force your kids to write a nice handwritten note at the end of the school year and hand it over with the cash/gift card.  Most of the handwriting will not be legible but that gives the teacher a little mystery to work on in May.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Man, imagine if our highest in the country property taxes and fifteen billion dollar budget surplus went to paying teachers and buying school supplies instead of funding oil subsidies. 

We also got some cool orange floaties to put in the Rio Grande. Don’t forget that.
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 7

Thanks for the word catch-english sucks.

No bullshit at all and they don't take one penny from the feds or State.  Every parent there is a high roller of some type and they are willing to pay to keep their kids away from the public schools.

15 hours ago, slorch said:

I just dropped a big order on my local elementary schools. I'll send something to the middle and high schools too, before school start. wish i could send $10,000 more. I live in a minority and pretty poor area (it's in transition) 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 3

Thanks for the word catch-english sucks.
No bullshit at all and they don't take one penny from the feds or State.  Every parent there is a high roller of some type and they are willing to pay to keep their kids away from the public schools.

MEME2023-07-12-09-34-16.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 5

Somehow more disturbing to me than the actual content is the actors they got for that shit.  Who the fuck agrees to be a part of that?  Especially the young kids?  And then the mom gleefully constructing a construction paper "Iron Dome"?  WTF is going on?

15 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Somehow more disturbing to me than the actual content is the actors they got for that shit.  Who the fuck agrees to be a part of that?  Especially the young kids?  And then the mom gleefully constructing a construction paper "Iron Dome"?  WTF is going on?

I mean, some actors will take whatever jobs they can get, and lets not pretend there aren't plenty of right wing twats happy to take a paycheck. As for the young kids, they probably have right wing parents...dragging their asses to auditions like any other shitty parent of a child actor. Think the same dipshits who take their girls to youth beauty pageants. 

I like how they can't just stop at American shit. You know what, lets go ahead and tell you how the UK was the hero in India...

On 7/26/2023 at 1:20 PM, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Miles / Abbott is a complete POS... lawsuit over the library situation is most certainly incoming

And it's generating a helluva lot of buzz around the state as people are starting to realize what Abbott and the GOP intend to do.

And there's a lot of noise that the state will be trying to take over other school districts.

On 7/26/2023 at 1:20 PM, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Miles / Abbott is a complete POS... lawsuit over the library situation is most certainly incoming

Well, this is a new take on the school to prison pipeline. Anyone care to guess which kids will be disproportionately sent to these disciplinary rooms? They only have a few goals for these kids and it's cheap labor, the military or the prison industrial complex. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

10 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Have the people of Florida, Mississippi, Texas etc... considered that if the Republicans win their war on education there won't be any high school football players to play for Alabama, LSU, Texas etc...? 

Lol, college football players are rarely required to read. 

1 hour ago, SimonBolivar said:

Lol, college football players are rarely required to read. 

But they are required to play football at a high level. Defund public education and where are Tyroil Smoochie Wallace and Jackmerius Tacktheritrix going to get their reps in?  Meanwhile, Wisconsin, New York, Minnesota and California keep their public schools funded and guess which teams start winning national championships? 

TLDR:  without public schools, there are very few good football players. 

2 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Have the people of Florida, Mississippi, Texas etc... considered that if the Republicans win their war on education there won't be any high school football players to play for Alabama, LSU, Texas etc...? 

You're assuming that the GQP won't be trying to take over the state schools and decide who gets in and who is eligible.

Wish I was kidding.

48 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

But they are required to play football at a high level. Defund public education and where are Tyroil Smoochie Wallace and Jackmerius Tacktheritrix going to get their reps in?  Meanwhile, Wisconsin, New York, Minnesota and California keep their public schools funded and guess which teams start winning national championships? 

TLDR:  without public schools, there are very few good football players. 

Xmas Jaxon Flaxxon Waxon

Well, this is a new take on the school to prison pipeline. Anyone care to guess which kids will be disproportionately sent to these disciplinary rooms? They only have a few goals for these kids and it's cheap labor, the military or the prison industrial complex. 
Apparently they also passed a law that kids with vapes will now get mandatory DAEP placements. According to my principal friend that would have been 400-500 more placements for his district last year.

These campuses are not built to handle that many kids.

School districts will mirror jail systems. Non-violent offenders taking up space that could go to some really dangerous people.

don't bring vapes to school.

easy rule.  The punishment is for being that fucking dumb.

The notion that accountability is such an egregious offense to students is a huge weapon in the destruction of our schools.  'Tis but a symptom of much larger issues that lotsa folks want to pretend don't matter.

Edited by slorch

3 minutes ago, tchookem said:
4 minutes ago, slorch said:
don't bring vapes to school.
easy rule.  The punishment is for being that fucking dumb.

Well, I guess that fixes that.

it is really that easy, right?  I mean vapes don't randomly affix themselves to students do they?

What am I missing?

Many campuses already have this policy.  It's not rocket surgery.

Edited by slorch

it is really that easy, right?  I mean vapes don't randomly affix themselves to students do they?
What am I missing?
Oddly, telling students "them's the rules" doesn't carry the weight one might hope it does. Without a law making it mandatory, districts might have some options on how to handle this. You know, local control. This law takes it away completely, and leaves districts holding the bag trying to deal with the fallout.

You're not wrong, it's a rule that should be followed, but this is going to be as effective as mandatory sentencing in our war on drugs.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 7/21/2023 at 12:08 PM, pacman said:

Houston better hurry

Again the goal is monetizing students and placing a value upon each of them by getting them into charter schools. A nice by-product of these charter schools is the 3rd World education they will receive (Thus sending them straight into a labor force they are not prepared to enter where they will be perpetually poor.) That many of these students are at-risk minority kids is the real icing on the cake for those interested in keeping minority children living in poverty. All the while this system is making some wealthy investors even richer. What a time to be alive. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

8 hours ago, slorch said:

What am I missing?

You mean unless someone ditches one in your locker or your backpack, slips one into your jacket pocket, etc... yeah, guess not. Modeled after the 3 strikes laws except for changing to 1st strike it will work probably about as well.

• Hook 'Em 1