The destruction of America's public education system

Captainant

On 8/29/2023 at 10:18 AM, Stilicho said:

Chief Justice Roberts told me that racism was dead.

PragerU apparently tells Florida that brown folks should thank white folks for not being as cruel as they could have been. 

Fuck we may have to fight this out after all.

White folks should probably thank black folks for not rising up and killing all our asses dead.

35 minutes ago, Creasy Bear said:

🙄

Are you fucking kidding?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

On 7/12/2023 at 9:05 PM, jettrink said:

Thanks for the word catch-english sucks.

No bullshit at all and they don't take one penny from the feds or State.  Every parent there is a high roller of some type and they are willing to pay to keep their kids away from the public schools.

Perfect.  So what do the low rollers do?

9 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Are you fucking kidding?

No they're not. Its all ancient history that has nothing to do with America today because its negative and questions the civil religion of American perfection which of course we can't have. Never mind the fact that the US had a Senator that said,

"The negro cannot count forever on the kind of restraint that's thus far left him free to clog the streets, disrupt traffic, and interfere with other men's rights...Crime rates and irresponsibility among Negroes are facts of life which must be faced."

And that motherfucker was in office until 2003.

8 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

No she doesn’t

My wife did the math on making 80k at her district in Texas (one of the better paying districts as it's known as a bad one). 

If she did summer school (3 weeks) plus signed up for tutoring for the entire year (Mon-Thu from 4-6:30), and she completed the TEA Leadership whatever program (usually that means lying about how good your kids can read to the state) then she'd come out at above $80k. This is on top of her Bilingual and Masters stipends that are there because she's expected to do both English and Spanish newsletters every 3 weeks, lesson planning for all 4 subjects (that she can't get help on from her teammates as she's the only Bilingual teacher in her grade at her school), grading, SPED Meetings, mentoring a new teacher, and being on the Hispanic heritage committee.

I sarcastically told her she should do it and her response was: "I'd rather kill myself, but not after I kill you first"

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

Oklahoma's Department of Education announces a partnership with PragerU Kids earlier this week as State Superintendent Ryan Walters said it offers educators more options. Several days later, Oklahoma's biggest school districts tell DoE/Walters to fuck off and they're not going to use them.

https://www.koco.com/article/oklahoma-school-districts-opt-out-lesson-plans-prageru/45027081

OKLAHOMA CITY —

A day after the state Department of Education announced a partnership with a conservative advocacy group, Oklahoma's largest school districts said they're opting out of optional lesson plans.

On Tuesday, state Superintendent Ryan Walters argued videos and materials from PragerU Kids offer educators more options. No one wanted to go on camera, but KOCO 5 got several statements.

The strongest was from the largest district, Oklahoma City, saying the new partnership between Walters and PragerU doesn't change anything for their schools.

"We’re highlighting them. We want all schools to know it’s available. It’s going to be a free resource to schools. So this is going to be part of a long relationship with PragerU to make sure not only are the videos available inside the school setting, the curriculum along with the videos, but also available for parents," Walters said.

So far, several of the metro's largest districts are telling KOCO 5 they will not be opting into the offerings from PragerU Kids. PragerU claimed to offer free alternatives to "dominant left-wing ideology in culture, media and education."

Oklahoma City Public Schools told KOCO 5 that Walter's endorsement of PragerU doesn't change anything they are doing in the classroom. They went on to say that they believe their teachers are the experts and that they will use the curriculum provided by the district and appropriate supplemental materials.

OKCPS released a statement saying, "The endorsement of PragerU by our State Superintendent doesn’t change anything we are doing in the classroom. We trust our teachers to do everything they can to help our students grow… We also trust that they will use both curriculum resources provided to them by our district and any other appropriate supplemental materials needed to support student growth."

Edmond Public Schools said their curriculum for the current school year is already set and that no resources from PragerU are included. If anything is added by a teacher, it must be reviewed and aligned with the district curriculum.

EPS said, "Pacing guides, district curriculum and teacher resources for the 23-24 school year are already in place and available for our teachers. No resources from PragerU are included in these resources. If a teacher uses additional supplemental materials, they must review materials before they’re presented in the classroom, and the materials must be aligned with the district curriculum."

Moore said they're also sticking with the curriculum they have in place and that it aligns with state standards approved by state lawmakers.

In a statement, Moore Public Schools said, "Moore Public Schools will continue to use its current curriculum that is aligned with state standards approved by the Oklahoma State Legislature."

Whether or not districts decide to add PragerU content to their lesson plans, Walters argued it's good to give educators options.

"We want students to draw their own conclusions and we want to teach them how to think but not what to think," Walters said.

Sure, Jan.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, C-Man said:

Oklahoma's Department of Education announces a partnership with PragerU Kids earlier this week as State Superintendent Ryan Walters said it offers educators more options. Several days later, Oklahoma's biggest school districts tell DoE/Walters to fuck off and they're not going to use them.

https://www.koco.com/article/oklahoma-school-districts-opt-out-lesson-plans-prageru/45027081

More PragerU insight:

5 hours ago, C-Man said:

Sure, Jan.

Yeah. It's been 0 days since Oklahoma was a shitshow.

The larger districts, as mentioned above, have told Ginger Shitheel to more or less fuck off. But I imagine what's left of the rural schools will slowly start letting that shit leech in, if they don't make a big spectacle of adopting it outright.

I don't put it past them to try and force the issue down the road. Like everything else, they're not satisfied with just breaking everything in the public sector. 

Edited by Stilicho
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, Stilicho said:

Yeah. It's been 0 days since Oklahoma was a shitshow.

The larger districts, as mentioned above, have told Ginger Shitheel to more or less fuck off. But I imagine what's left of the rural schools will slowly start letting that shit leech in, if they don't make a big spectacle of adopting it outright.

I don't put it past them to try and force the issue down the road. Like everything else, they're not satisfied with just breaking everything in the public sector. 

And because Greg Abbott would rather Texas be a state that follows everybody else into the dumpster fire, rather than charting our own path to success, well we follow illustrious states like Florida, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Oklahoma.  PragerU was approved by the governor's office, without the consent of TEA (but using their letterhead apparently).

Edited by atomheartbevo

On 9/6/2023 at 9:48 PM, Creasy Bear said:

🙄

This guy has at least a dozen easily-debunked race science links he’s been considering dropping on us for months. I’m sure he’ll be back soon with “nu uh! Phrenology is still a well respected branch of science and only communists think otherwise!”

• Like 1

Do y'all remember a few years back when Fox and the right had a freakout about the Dr. Seuss estate stopped publishing six of his books? I wonder what they'll have to say about Republicans banning his books in schools:

Katy ISD has remained silent on the whereabouts of $93,000 in new books held for review and the reasons 14 additional books were removed from shelves, despite a public pledge of transparency on book banning. 

Of the seven Katy ISD board members, only Rebecca Fox would discuss her opinion on the move, saying the new policy may need to be revisited if exhaustive book reviews continue. 

In August and September, an internal committee found 14 books, including titles by Dr. Seuss, Eric Carle and Judy Blume, to be inappropriate for children for reasons the district would not make public.

Prior to enacting the new policy, Katy ISD removed four books in 2022, eight in 2021 and four in the first seven months of 2023. 

This year the district expanded the terms under which a book could be pulled for review, adding "nudity" in the definition of inappropriate material. For the first time, six elementary school books have been removed. 

The book “No, David!” — winner of Caldecott Honor Book and several other national awards — is one of them.

The cartoon David takes every opportunity to misbehave, but is always reminded his parents love him anyway, according to the book's publisher, Scholastic Inc. At one point in the story, a cartoon David jumps out of the tub and and is pictured running off without clothes on.

Drew Daywalt’s “The Day the Crayons Quit" was one of 44 books flagged for review in August that was later retained. An illustration depicts a beige crayon that has lost its wrapper, becoming “naked.”

Fox, who voted in favor of the book review policy, said it's an example of how implementation has deviated from the policy's intent. 

“Nudity was added to the policy, but a book about a crayon with a wrapper is not nudity. That’s not what was intended by the policy,” she said. “If this continues, we may have to revisit the definitions of the policy.”

Book banning has become a fiercely contested topic at both the state and national level.

Texas lawmakers in the 88th Legislature passed a law requiring library vendors to rate whether or not every book sold to a school district is “sexually explicit” or “sexually relevant." President Joe Biden earlier this year blasted politicians who "try to score political points by banning books." 

Katy ISD's policy calls for transparency and parent involvement during the book review process. However, the district's communications office and Board President Victor Perez would not answer questions about why the books were removed, except to send emails stating the removals are in accordance with the policy. Neither answered questions about how the policy is being implemented.

The revised policy gave the board authority to bypass committee review to challenge and ban books, the Chronicle previously reported. However, Perez said the board didn’t remove the books. “It is not the board’s intention that any traditional, harmless, cartoon-like books be affected,” Perez said.

Other titles removed from elementary schools include Eric Carle's illustrated classic "Draw Me a Star," Judy Blume's coming of age novel "Are you there God? It's me, Margaret," Dr. Seuss’ “Wacky Wednesday,” and Robert Munsch’s “The Paper Bag Princess,” all of which have been in circulation for more than 40 years.

Simon & Schuster, publishers of the newly-removed book "Crank," called the book banning trend "unprecedented in scope," adding, "Simon & Schuster stands against censorship in all its forms and supports authors, librarians, educators and booksellers who work to defend and expand access to books for all."

The amended policy requires titles of any incoming new books to be submitted to the board for review 30 days before they're ordered. In June, the board of trustees mandated that already-purchased incoming books be placed in storage to await review. The list included $93,000 worth of books, including dictionaries and textbooks. 

District and school board officials would not say where those books are now or comment on the process or timeline for reviewing and potentially banning those titles.

Shirley Robinson, executive director of the Texas Library Association, said some other Texas districts have asked library staff to stop ordering books or arbitrarily put books in storage until they can be reviewed for "sexually relevant" or "sexually explicit" content. 

“The problem is, whether or not a book is sexual is incredibly subjective, and what one person considers vulgar another might disagree, and in the meantime, kids don’t have the books.”

Former Katy ISD board member Bill Lacy called the board's amended book policy an "overreach of power," noting the district already allowed parents to stop their own children from checking out books. 

"Auditing books and pulling books or creating a list of books to review is not what a trustee is supposed to do," Lacy said. "A trustee is simply supposed to be that 30,000-foot overview of what the district is doing. ...You are not supposed to have some type of an agenda."

Fox said the board is fixated on book banning and other topics, like transgender issues, that don't improve academic outcomes. “We as a board need to be focusing on the issues that affect academic success, she said. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

Well, in this one case, I dug in to it a bit expecting to be outranged it's hard to tell exactly what happened.  There is an email from a nutrition director saying that kids can no longer charge to their accounts directly from the cafeteria.  But, they do have a free and reduced meal program like everyone else:

https://www.davidson.k12.nc.us/apps/pages/index.jsp?uREC_ID=800358&type=d&pREC_ID=1189912

They also have a school cash online program, which is what we used to pre-pay for meals for our kids when they were in school.  For non-free-lunch kids, the parents put money into the accounts via cash deposit or a credit card and the kid has so much money in their account.  When the money is depleted, the account adds some via a credit card or the parent/kid can go add some via cash or check.

It's possible that this was a change in policy to not allow a kid to charge to an account at the cash register if their account would go into a negative balance.  If you were not on free lunch and you could do this, then there would be no incentive to fund the account at all.  Just keep running up a tab and never pay it.  If everyone did this, the cafeteria might not have money to fund operations, free, reduced, whatever.  It's possible that someone posted this email out of context and folks interpreted it to be something different than what it was.

Personally, I think we should just have free food for all kids in the public schools, just to make everyone equal and not have anyone stigmatized.  On the flip side of that, kids waste a ton of food at school and we should try to cut down on food waste where we can.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Our latest Frank Black Middle School update.  We just found out that they put him in all the wrong classes.  He is supposed to be in the Vanguard program but was instead placed in AP classes.   While there isn't much difference between the two, I was told by law, they were required to put him in Vanguard classes.  So now he has classes with friends from OFE.  The coordinator took him out during the middle of class.  Stressed him out, so that my kid spent the rest of the day with a coordinator.  The coordinator did not bother to tell us.  When we complained he replied asked, "Do you want us to switch his schedule back."  Not acknowledging how he fucked up and ruined yet another day for the boy.   We also found out that they didn't actually bother to review his IEP until after the school year started (original teachers) by about a week.  

I reached out to all of his teachers and asked about the transition and materials and one teacher replied back curtly, that I sent her the wrong request and clarified her name, never bothering to check.   The secondary coordinator was out of the office for training this week and had no idea how to help.   Another teacher replied, gave him credit for the work he did, and sent out this week's assignments.  So 20% of the core classes responded.   I am sure we will get to have all of the IEP discussions again, because if a teacher cannot even be bothered to check her roster before telling me I am wrong, then I am unlikely to believe she will bother to put in the effort willingly.    My wife had such high hopes, she knew her because our daughters are in the same grade at OFE.   

Let's see what this week brings.

• Rage+1 2

Frank Black, Black Francis, Pixies, has probably deluded me into having some hope.   Also, the math teacher, the one we originally had the biggest reaction to, has become our boy's biggest advocate within the school.  I can tell she took the time to read up on anxiety and ASD and though she has no formal training, she appears to have a better grasp of it than many others do now.  

• Like 2

We must protect school children from the writings of a teenage girl, hiding from the Nazis, documenting her natural transformation into womanhood but we can't protect them from getting shot in schools because thoughts and prayers. We can't let 13 year olds learn about puberty because "think of the children" but will make a 13 year old child carry to a baby to term because women's bodies belong to the state.

FUCK TEXAS.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 3

https://www.kxan.com/news/texas/sen-ted-cruz-says-there-is-no-domestic-issue-he-cares-more-about-than-school-choice/

U.S. Senator Ted Cruz, R-Texas, told a lively crowd at the Paramount Theater on Sunday that “there is no domestic issue I care more about than school choice.” 

Cruz, who is seeking a third term in the U.S. Senate in 2024, answered questions posed by Texas Tribune Political Reporter Patrick Svitek about several hot topics Texans care about during a TribFest appearance.

“I look at every vote the state legislature has taken on ‘school choice.’ If you’re a state legislator [who] voted in favor of ‘choice,’ and you are otherwise relatively conservative, you are quite likely to get my support,” Cruz said. “If you voted against ‘choice,’ then the chances of my supporting you are essentially zero.” 

On Tuesday, Gov. Greg Abbott announced he intends to call a special session next month to pass “school choice” legislation. He has proposed a school voucher-like program where eligible families could be sent $8,000 per child to subsidize private school expenses.

The Texas legislature looked at these initiatives last session, and the Texas House of Representatives voted to prohibit state money from funding private school vouchers or education savings accounts, per KXAN reporting. 

“If when I die, my tombstone says that, ‘Ted played a meaningful role in bringing school choice to the kids of Texas and the kids of America,’ then I die a happy man,” Cruz said. 

So he’s going to work against Republicans who don’t support vouchers.  

This fucking state.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

8 minutes ago, Updawg said:

They seem to be ready to ram this shit through

Yeah, with Cruz out there making it clear that it's going to be a campaign issue for anybody not supporting it.

But Cruz and Abbott don't seem to realize that the rurals don't care to pay for the big cities/suburbs to get private schools that will never ever sniff the likes of Buttfuck, Texas.

8 minutes ago, Updawg said:

This state is going to be in rough shape in 15 years

15 years?

Happy Birthday GIF by dua.com

14 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yeah, with Cruz out there making it clear that it's going to be a campaign issue for anybody not supporting it.

But Cruz and Abbott don't seem to realize that the rurals don't care to pay for the big cities/suburbs to get private schools that will never ever sniff the likes of Buttfuck, Texas.

15 years?

Happy Birthday GIF by dua.com

they’ll tack on money for home schooled kids too, is my guess 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 9/17/2023 at 7:48 PM, Pods said:

Dems: We should make sure kids have quality education, access to healthcare and food. 

GOP: That's cOmMuNiSm

The end game couldn't be more obvious.  Nothing but uneducated morons walking around with no ability to better themselves through education and unable to use collective bargaining to make a living wage.  So, they work as slaves with no reproductive rights, health insurance, or retirement other than what's already on the books (and Rick Scott and Trump have said they want to take away).

Sounds like paradise for someone.

• Like 3
  • Rage+1 4

2 hours ago, Bullneck said:

The end game couldn't be more obvious.  Nothing but uneducated morons walking around with no ability to better themselves through education and unable to use collective bargaining to make a living wage.  So, they work as slaves with no reproductive rights, health insurance, or retirement other than what's already on the books (and Rick Scott and Trump have said they want to take away).

Sounds like paradise for someone.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 9/20/2023 at 9:31 AM, crash_davis said:

We must protect school children from the writings of a teenage girl, hiding from the Nazis, documenting her natural transformation into womanhood but we can't protect them from getting shot in schools because thoughts and prayers. We can't let 13 year olds learn about puberty because "think of the children" but will make a 13 year old child carry to a baby to term because women's bodies belong to the state.

FUCK TEXAS.

My daughter currently has the diary of Anne Frank checked out from her school library.  From a middle school in aggyville.  

On 9/23/2023 at 7:54 PM, atomheartbevo said:

https://www.kxan.com/news/texas/sen-ted-cruz-says-there-is-no-domestic-issue-he-cares-more-about-than-school-choice/

So he’s going to work against Republicans who don’t support vouchers.  

This fucking state.

If the Texas Democratic party had any brains, they'd use this to beat Cruz next year. School choice is poison in rural areas and Dems would only need to swing a small share of the rural vote to beat him.

I bet they don't even make it a campaign issue.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

My daughter currently has the diary of Anne Frank checked out from her school library.  From a middle school in aggyville.  

Yeah farty, we know you're not capable of giving a shit about something until it personally affects you. Because if it's not happening in your immediate presence, it must not be happening anywhere in the state.

For what it's worth: if your daughter is reading an unedited version of her diary, she's *gasp* GOING TO READ ABOUT MASTURBATION AND DISCOVERING SEXUALITY! Please try not to shoot up your local library in outrage.

9 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Yeah farty, we know you're not capable of giving a shit about something until it personally affects you. Because if it's not happening in your immediate presence, it must not be happening anywhere in the state.

For what it's worth: if your daughter is reading an unedited version of her diary, she's *gasp* GOING TO READ ABOUT MASTURBATION AND DISCOVERING SEXUALITY! Please try not to shoot up your local library in outrage.

Lol fuck off. Enjoy your outrage tweets.

fwd:fwd:fwd!!1!Book burning in Texas schools!!1!1! 

• Fuck You 2

1 minute ago, fattyflattie said:

Lol fuck off. Enjoy your outrage tweets.

fwd:fwd:fwd!!1!Book burning in Texas schools!!1!1! 

Teachers are getting fired up in Dallas for having students read the illustrated version and uncritical idiot karens are calling it "graphic" and equating it to pornography. It's fucking happening right now in our state dude. To the contrary, it's your kin and friends pushing the falsehoods and lies.

A couple of parents heard that the book touched on sexuality, and it's illustrated, so OBVIOUSLY it must have drawings depicting an underage girl doing sexual things. Which couldn't be farther from the case. But it doesn't matter, it's been made sufficiently "hot" by MAGA culture warriors, so they kowtow.

If you could just pull your head out of your aggy ass, you'd be a hell of a lot better poster.

9 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Yet not a single person in the thread has had it happen at their school.  Weird. 

How many books have been pulled from your schools shelves for being "inappropriate" because they had depictions of homosexuality? In my local ISD it's been happing left right and fucking center.

Banning books and punishing educators for educating is fucking happening man. Sorry it's too uncomfortable for you to believe it's something that YOU VOTED FOR

• Hook 'Em 3

12 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Teachers are getting fired up in Dallas for having students read the illustrated version and uncritical idiot karens are calling it "graphic" and equating it to pornography. It's fucking happening right now in our state dude. To the contrary, it's your kin and friends pushing the falsehoods and lies.

A couple of parents heard that the book touched on sexuality, and it's illustrated, so OBVIOUSLY it must have drawings depicting an underage girl doing sexual things. Which couldn't be farther from the case. But it doesn't matter, it's been made sufficiently "hot" by MAGA culture warriors, so they kowtow.

If you could just pull your head out of your aggy ass, you'd be a hell of a lot better poster.

Not that it really matters but this is an article in the Dallas Morning News but I think the actual event where the teacher was fired for using the illustrated Anne Frank Diary was down near Houston in "aggy" country. We have enough of our own "banning" issues in Collin County and our backyard as it is.

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

Not that it really matters but this is an article in the Dallas Morning News but I think the actual event where the teacher was fired for using the illustrated Anne Frank Diary was down near Houston in "aggy" country. We have enough of our own "banning" issues in Collin County and our backyard as it is.

Huh. Thanks for that, I didn't even think to check where the ISD was and just assumed it was near Dallas because of the reporting entity. Hamshire-Fannett is just SW of Beaumont/Port Neches