Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

2 minutes ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

I can't believe how bad he's regressed. Against bama was something special 49-0 none of us thought that was possible in real life. Anything passed 10 yards he struggles, after his first read he panics, I think I saw him air a pass deep while jumping wtf is in his head? On top of all of that the oline struggles. I'm rooting for the kid but you have to wonder if he will finish this season as the starter. 

Saban is gonna eat this OL and Ewers for lunch now that he has some film. 

Someone said it in the game thread, but this offense looks EXACTLY the same as last year, only minus Bijan and Rojo.  I'm not sure how it is possible for the QB and O line to look the same, if not worse, after a year of practice and gelling together.  But here we are.  Also, Sanders had 2 receptions. TWO.

• Hook 'Em 7

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Isn't that what everyone except me and @futuremansaid last season? If its not for zebra Texas wins that game.. truth is I expect a close game next sat. Unless futureman says something diffrent(that man knows his xs and os) 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Someone said it in the game thread, but this offense looks EXACTLY the same as last year, only minus Bijan and Rojo.  I'm not sure how it is possible for the QB and O line to look the same, if not worse, after a year of practice and gelling together.  But here we are.  Also, Sanders had 2 receptions. TWO.

Doing the “x got x receptions” game each week is not a good way to look at this offense considering the number of mouths that need to be fed.

There will be games where Sanders has 2 catches and games where he has 8. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

Isn't that what everyone except me and @futuremansaid last season? If its not for zebra Texas wins that game.. truth is I expect a close game next sat. Unless futureman says something diffrent(that man knows his xs and os) 

sure, I will admit last year Bama game surprised me, but he's got a lot more tape on Ewers and our OL than he did last year.  and it's on the road.  

Our D could be pretty stout though.  They looked very good today until the give up/backups drive in the 4th.

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I want Ewers to succeed so bad.  But, if he looks like shit next week in the first half, I'm not sure how you don't at least give Murphy a shot.

We might see Murphy next week after all. Shit if Quinn plays in the first half against Bama like he did today against Rice we’re going down. 

He could have had 3 if he’d have turned his head and the ball stuck in his face mask
  • Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

8 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Isn’t this the exact narrative we told ourselves last year after some shaky stuff against ULM offensively? I remember the talk being that Will Anderson was going to have 6 sacks against Christian Jones and all sorts of crazy stuff.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

Doing the “x got x receptions” game each week is not a good way to look at this offense considering the number of mouths that need to be fed.

There will be games where Sanders has 2 catches and games where he has 8. 

He is arguably one of our top 2 receivers.  He needs at minimum 6 targets a game, especially coming from the TE.  It opens up so much.

2 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

He is arguably one of our top 2 receivers.  He needs at minimum 6 targets a game, especially coming from the TE.  It opens up so much.

Well, he had 6 targets.

He also gets opened up by having a deep passing game that teams respect. It’s why you can’t just completely abandon the deep pass when it isn’t working.

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Isn’t this the exact narrative we told ourselves last year after some shaky stuff against ULM offensively? I remember the talk being that Will Anderson was going to have 6 sacks against Christian Jones and all sorts of crazy stuff.

well he has a lot more tape on Ewers now and we hadn't seen Ewers completely shit the bed like he did 2nd half of last year.   I'll be happy to be wrong. 

16 minutes ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

Isn't that what everyone except me and said last season? If its not for zebra Texas wins that game.. truth is I expect a close game next sat. Unless futureman says something diffrent(that man knows his xs and os) 

I am on board with the sentiment but do not quote or rely upon that motherfucker. 

• Haha 1

I didn't think Ewers was bad. I didn't think he was great, but not bad.  I thought two of the deep throws should have been pass interference even though they were both underthrown. Brooks dropped an easy pass that he probably scores on. He tripped on a run that he probably gets a first down on otherwise. He was very accurate on the short stuff that gives guys a chance to make plays in space. He didn't turn it over and I don't remember him making any throws that were even close to being in danger. Everything seemed to get cleaned up in the second half. 

That the offensive line couldn't push Rice around was 100x more concerning to me. 

• Hook 'Em 4

13 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

We have seen some of the highest levels of collegiate quarterback play at Texas. We know what it looks like and we’ve seen the early signs that point to it.

This isn’t it, and we’re not going to see it. He’s not going to be what we need to win championships. 

The blind expectation that Ewers was going to be greatly improved from an offseason was just willful ignorance.

Too drunk but what do Ewers stats look like compared to other QBs that rolled their low level opponents? How did Sanders son do against TCU? 500 yards or somewhere around that?

3 minutes ago, MrBig said:

It’s actually Maalik. Sark is only playing Quinn because he doesn’t want to piss off the big money by benching a perfect 5-star QB.

Big money still runs UT athletics?

I generally don't like platooning quarterbacks (hey to Ohio State), but in this case I think Sark needs to seriously consider rotating Ewers and Murphy until one sets himself apart.  Dicking around against Rice proves almost nothing.

To those who say this offense looks like last year's offense minus Bijan and RoJo . . . well, yeah.  That's what it is.

3 minutes ago, Hate said:

Yeah, that's the point.  Ewers didn't look any better this year than last.  He still throws off of his back foot instead of stepping into throws.

(Recently) How can we win with someone that is the opposite of a prototypical passer (God Vince Young) but fall short with NFL "prototypes". What is really wrong with the UT football program? Is it still a " Good ol boys" program? Have we not adapted and progressed.

45 minutes ago, Hate said:

He still has footwork issues.  Those horrible deep throws are because his footwork still sucks.  And he recognizes things a split second too late.  There is still a lot of work to do with him.

so he's slow and has bad mechanics but other than that he's awesome.

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

21 minutes ago, MrBig said:

It’s actually Maalik. Sark is only playing Quinn because he doesn’t want to piss off the big money by benching a perfect 5-star QB.

Sark had to go after Quinn.  He had to show he could reel in the 5 star QB from Texas as a HC.  now he has to show he can win with the 5 star QB.  He's kinda fucked to be honest but it's the bed he made.  he better hope Flood gets his shit together and we excel in the run game without Bijan and Rojo to bail him out.

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Sark had to go after Quinn.  He had to show he could reel in the 5 star QB from Texas as a HC.  now he has to show he can win with the 5 star QB.  He's kinda fucked to be honest but it's the bed he made.  he better hope Flood gets his shit together and we excel in the run game without Bijan and Rojo to bail him out.

Nick Saban benched Jalen Hurts for performance issues.  Sark needs to start winning.  I like Sark...a lot.  I think his offense is unstoppable if he gets the right QB.  I don't think Ewers is that guy.  I'd love to see what Maalik could do.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hate said:

Nick Saban benched Jalen Hurts for performance issues.  Sark needs to start winning.  I like Sark...a lot.  I think his offense is unstoppable if he gets the right QB.  I don't think Ewers is that guy.  I'd love to see what Maalik could do.

I think Maalik is Sark’s guy. He committed to UT a month after Sark was hired. If Quinn truly wanted to play for Sark, why did he still go to OSU after Herman was fired?

15 minutes ago, Enemy07 said:

(Recently) How can we win with someone that is the opposite of a prototypical passer (God Vince Young) but fall short with NFL "prototypes". What is really wrong with the UT football program? Is it still a " Good ol boys" program? Have we not adapted and progressed.

The weird thing about Vince when there were calls to move him to wr was he threw a great deep ball but his screen passes were shot putz.

6 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

The weird thing about Vince when there were calls to move him to wr was he threw a great deep ball but his screen passes were shot putz.

I may be biased but weren't his passes very accurate? I remember him being able to sling it 50 60 yards and drop right in the bread basket of his receivers?

Also, was there ever a blu ray version of the 2005 BCS championship game made? I only have the dvd.

Edited by Enemy07
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

3 hours ago, ATXhorn17 said:

His jump pass was abysmal

Yeah, that was something different.  I'd swear AD's move not only caught the back off guard, it did the same to Quinn.  It looked like he was still dropping back on a deep drop when he realized that AD was already heading into the end zone and he had to make the throw then because by the time he'd caught his balance enough to get his feet underneath him and set, that window would have closed and AD would have been in the stands.  He was moving.  

It was ugly either way, but probably the right call because the only option the cover guy had as bad as he was beat, was tondo exactly what he did, and mug AD before the ball got there. It just wasn't called. No surprise there though...

I do question his deep ball, but outside of it, he wasn't that bad today.   Rice did a good job of designing who they were sending and who was dropping back which made pur offensive line look stupid way too often, which isn't good for any QB.  19 of 30 with a catch by the x-man called back, another that Brooks just dropped (which would've been a touchdown) another one dropped in the end zone when our receivers bunched up, and the ball was knocked out of (whoever it was) hands by a defenders helmet....  seems like there was a couple of other drops but I might be wrong....  but either way, three more catches with two being touchdowns is a different picture, especially when you add two more passes that should have been flagged for blatant pass interference....    

I'm not sold on Quinn yet, I'm on the fence there, but he isn't as bad as some of the idiots around here make him out to be.  Colt couldn't hit the deep ball either, yet we know how much that mattered....  But there were plenty of idiots during most of  his Sophomore year who wanted him benched also...  wash-rinse-repeat is the standard around here

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Enemy07 said:

I may be biased but weren't his passes very accurate? I remember him being able to sling it 50 60 yards and drop right in the bread basket of his receivers?

Also, was there ever a blu ray version of the 2005 BCS championship game made? I only have the dvd.

He was very accurate with his deep balls. Even in the NFL. Early in his college career he had this weird tendency to short arm screen passes. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Maybe Ewers is serviceable with a perfect pocket, but he is just an absolute shithead with unsalvageable mechanics when he starts to get to hit in a game. Once he loses faith in the OL, every throw is off the back foot and sails. Watching Murphy generate power through his footwork & hitch is like night and day.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

• immamac changed the title to Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet