Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

14 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

Arch is coming from a small private Louisiana school. I will be shocked if he’s ready to start game one next year. I don’t care who his relatives are.

Arch could start and play at an all-conference level in the NFL today.  you just don’t know football. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Wildin is when a person is doing or saying wild and crazy things.

1 hour ago, futureman said:

Arch could start and play at an all-conference level in the NFL today.  you just don’t know football. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Oh, like Steve Martin on SNL?

Ya know... I'm am old... Not a boomer, but an X, and I used to really enjoyed the not so ready for prime time gang, along with the 2nd crew that almost didn't include Eddie Murphy. 

Yes, Steve Martin is regularly wildin on SNL. 

I'll allow it. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Slacks said:

Ya know... I'm am old... Not a boomer, but an X, and I used to really enjoyed the not so ready for prime time gang, along with the 2nd crew that almost didn't include Eddie Murphy. 

Yes, Steve Martin is regularly wildin on SNL. 

I'll allow it. 

Yeah, when the brother's with him it gets crazy. Steve did (does?) alright, for a banjo-playing juggler.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

ESPN assigning precise draft prediction for a college QB with 10 starts and fewer than 200 completions. No wonder theyre firing people. 

I'm guessing Walt the janitor was the only person left to write up the mock 2023 draft after the latest round of layoffs.  At least we know he's a Longhorn fan.

21 minutes ago, Fug said:

I thought the horn was done?

They may have lost rights to broadcasting Texas Longhorns sports...

If you're interested... updates on this in thread under Daily Texan called "Austin radio stuff"

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

They may have lost rights to broadcasting Texas Longhorns sports...

If you're interested... updates on this in thread under Daily Texan called "Austin radio stuff"

1/1 Skip Ad Continue watching after the ad Visit Advertiser websiteGO TO PAGE

2.png

Yeah I couldn’t find it, but heard jabba the hut tweeted something. Thanks for the help!

Edited by Fug
Fuck you Ketch!

6 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Sure hope Quinn gets his head right and improves his footwork... not that confident or polished in his media interviews today.  

First those two things have nothing to do with each other. Second he has always been very shy in front of the media. I feel like he has a rep because of his Ohio State decision but in reality he seems very reserved.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

First those two things have nothing to do with each other. Second he has always been very shy in front of the media. I feel like he has a rep because of his Ohio State decision but in reality he seems very reserved.

Yeah they are different but he needs to work on both. 

Frankly I expected to see more maturity and confidence in Quinn's interviews today, and yet he was a little disappointing on both counts.  He's in his 2nd year at Texas and is a returning starter -- he better get his head right or the media and fans will chew him up. 

Sark needs to get Quinn ready for success this year both mentally and physically -- that includes improving his footwork and deep ball accuracy...

48 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Frankly I expected to see more maturity and confidence in Quinn's interviews today, and yet he was a little disappointing on both counts.  He's in his 2nd year at Texas and is a returning starter -- he better get his head right or the media and fans will chew him up. 

Sark needs to get Quinn ready for success this year both mentally and physically -- that includes improving his footwork and deep ball accuracy...

Some of us are just not comfortable talking in a group setting and/or on camera.  Repetition helps but that never goes away.  He might be like that. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Get yourself ready - have a great year Quinn 🤘

It's up to Quinn Ewers to embrace the high expectations in Texas' Big 12 swan song

Story by Cedric Golden, Austin American-Statesman • 34m ago

ARLINGTON — Quinn Ewers, it’s time for you take over this Texas ball club.

Embrace the expectations. Get in attack mode. Meet the hype. Shoot, kick that hype in the gut and do something special.

It’s been a while since we’ve witnessed something momentous on a football level in the 512, and the Longhorns are in position to make it happen this fall.

But will they?

It all starts behind center.

No great Texas team ever went anywhere without an alpha dog at quarterback and it’s time for Ewers to be the face of the franchise.

Yes, I know he’s a laid back guy who has been more of a lead-by-example type even though we saw some growth in the vocal leadership department toward the end of last season. For the Longhorns to leave the Big 12 the same way they entered  — with a league championship — Ewers will have to more bulldog than blender in his second year as the starter.

Coach Steve Sarkisian said Ewers has been more vocal in team meetings and on the field, he is dialed in on making things happen on offense.

“He’s earned the respect of his teammates throughout this time and throughout this process,” Sarkisian said.

Wednesday’s Big 12 media days was the junior quarterback’s first appearance in front of reporters since spring football and Ewers looked the part: lean with a trimmed beard sporting a preppy Longhorns golf shirt.

Consistency and staying healthy will be the top priorities, of course, and Ewers has been put in the position to achieve success behind an experienced offensive line — sophomore left tackle Kelvin Banks Jr. is a future first-round pick — with the deepest group of pass catchers in the league and a talented, if not yet extraordinary stable of running backs.

If anything, the near future is bright because Ewers was quick to accept responsibility for his struggles last season. He didn’t shrug off his 17-for39 performance in that painful 10-3 loss to TCU — the Frogs held Texas’ offense out of the end zone for the second time in seven seasons — or that 19-for-49 disappointment in the loss to Oklahoma State.

Sarkisian said his quarterback took all the blame for that game.

“Obviously, I didn’t like where I was last year,” Ewers said. “Obviously, something had to change if I wanted to end up where I want to be in the future. I’m starting right here. I’m eating a lot better. I’m doing a lot of the small things a lot harder and I’m excited.”

One thing that should help Ewers navigate a pivotal season is his calm approach, but the hope here is he will show more outward emotion because that kind of energy from the most important position in sports can spread like wildfire and inspire others.

If things fall the right way, upside, talent and ability will converge to put Texas in the postseason mix come December. Better yet, he closed the season with a 65% completion rate over his last three games, including a massive 369-yard performance in the Alamo Bowl that would have been even bigger had star wideout Xavier Worthy — playing with a broken hand — been able to haul in a couple of deep throws in the same third-quarter drive quarter.

He flashed some good upside over the last three games, with an improved 65% completion rate, up from his season number of 58.1. He will enter fall camp again having thrown 118 consecutive passes without an interception.

All signs point to a bigger, better season

Accountability is everything and we saw growth from Ewers in that area. He wasn’t happy with how things went overall in his first year as a starter and didn’t run away from the expectations that will come his way in Year 2. He hit the weights harder in the spring, changed his diet and his coaches and teammates noticed. Ewers and the other quarterbacks posed for a group pic, all shirtless and flexing biceps, pecs and abs. 

Gun shows are big in Texas, but this one went viral. 

As far as stats go, keep a couple of eyeballs on that touchdowns column because it goes without saying that 15 scoring tosses — his total in 10 games — won’t cut it with no Bijan Robinson or Roschon Johnson gobbling up rushing yards in the backfield.

As for him mentioning the future, it was a nod to the pros, where NFL draft projections have apparently gone all in on Ewers 2.0. In the same offseason that Texas was picked to win the Big 12 for the first time since 2009, ESPN’s latest mock draft has the Washington Commanders grabbing him with the eighth overall pick, the third quarterback taken behind projected top pick Caleb Williams of USC (to the Arizona Cardinals) and No. 3 Drake Maye of North Carolina (to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers).

That projection comes with a nice piece of expectation and if it happens, Ewers would become only the third quarterback in school history to go in the first round, right up there with Longhorns legends Bobby Layne and Vince Young who went third overall in the 1948 and 2006 drafts, respectively.

More than just a big arm

The arm talent is there for the 20-year-old but others have witnessed him taking on a more cerebral approach to his craft.

“I’ve seen a lot of improvement as far as leadership,” said senior wideout Jordan Whittington. “All the stuff off the field, I see so much improvement. And then on the field, he’s so much more patient, so much more mature in the pocket. And his arm talent has always been amazing. I have a lot of trust in him. We all do.”

New UAB coach Trent Dilfer believes Ewers is as good as projected. The former Austin resident — the sixth overall pick in the 1994 draft who went on to quarterback the Baltimore Ravens to the Super Bowl XXXV title — told Sports Illustrated this week that Ewers reminds him of Jeff George, the cannon-armed top overall pick in 1994 who played 14 NFL seasons. But he wants to see him get more seasoning, more reps.

“You’ve got to play 30 games before we really know,” Dilfer said. “You’ve got to see it. It’s not just talent. We made this mistake for years in the NFL. It’s not just talent. It’s this weird matrix of everything working together. And the only way we know to start sorting that matrix out is by watching them play football games.”

Ewers’ best football is ahead of him. His coaches and teammates believe in him and it’s obvious he believes in himself.

“There’s not a throw he can’t make” Sarkisian said. “He’s got a very good football IQ. And if things go the way we think they can go, the pundits are probably right. He is a first-round draft pick.”

It’s why Ewers came here. Now all that remains is meeting those lofty expectations.

So, on the doorstep of the most important season of his young life, what does Ewers think about being such a highly rated prospect?

"I saw that but I try not to pay too much attention to it," he said. "I try not to get too high on the highs or too low on the lows. I just try to play my game. As long as the team goals are accomplished, the individual accolades will kind of fall into place."

image.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Oh fuck off, dillweed.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

40 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Great stuff @NoName

Article on Quinn from "The Athletic"

Guess link died, so cross-posting, Thx @NoName.   Quinn gaining confidence and maturing a common theme in the article

After an offseason of change, Quinn Ewers is ready to lead Texas football

By Bruce Feldman     "The Athletic"

ARLINGTON, Texas — The mullet is gone. So are almost 20 pounds. You probably wouldn’t recognize Quinn Ewers these days. Truth is, a lot of people don’t. The former five-star Texas quarterback said it’s kind of nice. Now when he goes to the grocery store most people don’t notice him.

They will once the Longhorns start playing, especially if Ewers performs as well as folks inside the UT program expect in 2023. At Wednesday’s Big 12 media days at AT&T Stadium, Ewers displayed a dramatically different look, but more than his hair it was his body that really was a significant change.

Ewers told The Athletic he’s gotten down to 200 pounds from 218 at the end of last season.

“I probably haven’t been this light since my sophomore year of high school,” he said. “I lost some bad weight and gained some good weight back. I really focused on my eating habits; getting in the playbook more; I want to be comfortable, on and off the field, if that makes sense, physically and mentally.”

He’s cut out fast food, focusing on eating healthier. He rarely snacks and doesn’t eat past 8 p.m. The toughest thing to give up was Chick-Fil-A. His go-to was two chicken sandwiches and a cobb salad, “and the tea there is phenomenal.”

Ewers began to change his diet at the start of the Longhorns’ winter conditioning program, telling the staff — “Do whatever. I’m fully bought in. I’m ready to go.”

What the 20-year-old realized is he doesn’t just feel leaner and quicker in the pocket, he also feels sharper.

“It was just the way my body felt,” he said. “I didn’t feel healthy. And since I have been eating better, I’ve noticed I don’t have that pressure on my joints. My back feels amazing.  Since I have been eating better, I’ve noticed it also helps me mentally. I didn’t think that it clogged my head as much as it did, but it really did. It’s cool to see what’s been going on. That’s what I was looking for and I’m glad I’ve done what I’ve done.”

Ewers had an up-and-down debut season for the Longhorns in 2022. He threw for 2,177 yards and 15 touchdowns and just six interceptions in 10 games. Against Alabama, he backed up the massive hype he arrived in Austin with, dicing up the Bama defense for almost a half, going 9 of 12 for 134 yards before being forced out of the game with a shoulder injury. Later in the season after he returned, he often looked like a freshman quarterback trying to find his way. He went 19 of 39 and threw three picks in a loss at Oklahoma State. He was just 17 of 39 with a pick in a 17-10 home loss to TCU a month later. For the season, he completed 58 percent of his passes. But he looked much improved this spring.

Ewers described 2022 as “a roller coaster” particularly in the middle of the season. “It was definitely hard, but I’m kind of glad it happened because it showed me what I need to do better.” Most notably, the small things. “Like taking better care of my body; getting in the playbook more, understanding the defenses more, and ultimately understanding how you treat the small things is how you treat everything else.”

His teammates said they think Ewers’s transformation started a little after him changing his diet — when he cut his mullet in early February.

“The biggest change I think was actually when he cut his hair,” said UT defensive star Jaylan Ford. “You could see from that moment on he started focusing on him as a person and that what happened last year was not how he wanted it and he’s taken it upon himself to change it.

“It’s just been amazing to see with how it’s happened right in front of me. From the moment he came in to now, he talks more. He was shy and timid when he came here. He’s matured. He’s started focusing on how he looks and his body composition, and just doing the small things that really show that he’s becoming a pro. That’s his goal and you can tell with the way he’s going about his business. He’s becoming a leader and he understands his role and his position. He’s embraced it, and I feel like he’s thrived in it.

“I think the haircut represented to him that he was still the same guy he thought he was from high school. He didn’t realize how much growth was really there for him and how much maturity he really needed to improve on, and that’s with all of just — not just him but he’s a QB so the spotlight’s always on him and you see it more.”

Ewers doesn’t disagree with that characterization.

“I was ready for it to go,” he said. “I was tired of it. It was just a lot to keep up with, and it was time to grow up.”

The strong-armed QB has had to grow up fast over the past two years. He skipped his senior year of high school at powerhouse Southlake Carroll right before their year was about to kick off to enroll at Ohio State so he could collect a reported $1.4 million in NIL endorsement money he wouldn’t have been able to receive due to Texas state law at the time. In Columbus, Ewers was buried on the depth chart and left four months later. He told The Athletic he wouldn’t re-do his decision to bypass his senior year of high school even if he could.

“The only reason I’d say no is because of how much I learned from that whole process of going to Ohio State early,” he said. “It was obviously hard leaving my good friends who I grew up playing football with. It was a really tough decision but I don’t think I would go back and change a thing even if I could just because of what I learned. I definitely learned a whole bunch about football but also about myself. I had to grow up really fast. I had to make that decision if I was going or staying within a week and a half, and then going up there and jumping right into fall camp, it was really tough for me. This was a lot, but I’m glad it worked out.”

With a more mature Ewers running the offense, the Longhorns are the preseason favorite, according to the Big 12 media, to win the conference in Texas’ final season in the league before heading to the SEC. Texas coach Steve Sarkisian said Ewers has “earned the respect of his teammates,” adding that coaches and players alike have noticed him speaking up in team meetings and on the field, and that if “things go the way we think they can go, the pundits are probably right — he’s a first-round quarterback.”

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/12/2023 at 7:03 PM, LTtxfan said:

fart-noises-raspberry.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

John Wick memes with Quinn are gonna be popular this year...

The Longhorns are favored to win the Big 12 and are expected to make a push for a spot in the playoff if everything goes right for them. However, they are embracing the mentality that everyone is coming for them and that they have a “target” on their back. Something Quinn Ewers compared to movie character “John Wick” who is often pursuing villains, but also has those same villains pursuing him.

“I mean I think there’s always a target on our back,” Texas quarterback Quinn Ewers said. “But we also put a target on our opponents. It’s kind of like John Wick. He’s being hunted, but at the same time, he’s hunting them as well."    

16 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

John Wick memes with Quinn are gonna be popular this year...

The Longhorns are favored to win the Big 12 and are expected to make a push for a spot in the playoff if everything goes right for them. However, they are embracing the mentality that everyone is coming for them and that they have a “target” on their back. Something Quinn Ewers compared to movie character “John Wick” who is often pursuing villains, but also has those same villains pursuing him.

“I mean I think there’s always a target on our back,” Texas quarterback Quinn Ewers said. “But we also put a target on our opponents. It’s kind of like John Wick. He’s being hunted, but at the same time, he’s hunting them as well."    

F08sMkCWYAAVNMi?format=jpg&name=large

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

• immamac changed the title to Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet