Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

Well Vince did get benched near the end of a tech game so that mock could attempt a last minute drive to win.  And he got benched at home against Missouri when he was terrible- actually caught a long pass as a wr.  And he was not pulled when ou shut us out. 

That was his rs fr year wasn’t it?

On 6/4/2023 at 2:45 AM, shadow_operative said:

i've been (rightfully) critical of QE, but i think that this is his breakout season. he's struggled here because the transition from "supremely talented superstar on supremely talented team" to "starting QB at a major program with national title hopes" is a tough transition for most. that plus his first major injury have led to him "underperforming" to this point. based on everything that i've read and seen from him this offseason, i think he breaks out and truly shows why he was rated so highly in the first place. i'm truly excited to watch him lead our offense this year. i don't think there will be any qb controversy whatsoever.

Ewers has to improve his footwork and mechanics.  He is an incredibly talented "thrower" - one of the best you'll ever see at the college level/his age - but that will only get you so far.  He needs to be developed and I trust that he is getting it.

As for Arch Manning...I'm not sold on him just yet.  I know some folks with direct ties to the Manning family and football down there, and even they'll admit that his last name gets him an additional star.  That's the general consensus from people in Louisiana who really know football.  I'm not saying he won't be great (nor are they), just that it's not a guarantee...yet.

But shit...it feels good to even be typing about Ewers and Manning vs. being pissed we don't have anyone to be excited about.  It's good to be a Longhorn.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2023 at 8:52 PM, Jkwellborn said:

That was his rs fr year wasn’t it?

Tech was freshman year and Mizzou was sophomore year after the OU game.  I am probably misremembering, but I want to say the coaching staff had at least mentioned that Mock was going to run 2 minute drills Vince's fresh year. 

NFL Draft Analyst details where Texas QB Quinn Ewers excels, struggles ahead of 2024 NFL Draft

USATSI_19422691.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

By:  Cami Griffin    June 17, 2023 

The 2024 NFL Draft quarterback class is shaping up to be one of the best in recent memory.  The class is full of talented names such as Caleb Williams, Drake Maye, Quinn Ewers and Jayden Daniels among others.

ESPN writer Jordan Reid, a highly respected NFL Draft analyst, recently discussed the strengths and weaknesses for Ewers ahead of the 2023 college football season.  With a solid showing in 2023, many feel Ewers could work his way into first-round consideration for the 2024 NFL Draft. Here’s what Reid believes Ewers does well and where he still needs to progress.

Where he excels: Ewers has an effortless side-arm extension with his throwing release, and he doesn’t have to do much to generate velocity behind his throws. He showed plenty of promise in finishing the 2022 season with 2,177 passing yards, 15 touchdown passes and six interceptions. And his first- quarter performance against Alabama in Week 2 was perhaps the best highlight of his first season as a starter. Prior to exiting the game with an injury to his nonthrowing shoulder, he completed 9 of 12 passes for 134 passing yards against the Crimson Tide’s tough defense.

Where he needs work: One of Ewers’ biggest deficiencies during his first season in Austin was game-to-game consistency. His play was too uneven, and we saw the low end in Week 8 against Oklahoma State (19-for-49, 318 passing yards, two touchdown throws and three interceptions). And in watching his tape, I think he needs to find more rhythm between his upper and lower body. Ewers relies too heavily on his upper-body strength to drive the ball, which can result in poor accuracy and misfires all over the field.

If Ewers has indeed turned the corner as reports have stated this offseason, Texas should be in great hands for the 2023 season. For Ewers individually, consistent play this upcoming season could see him becoming a first-round NFL draft pick in 2024.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2023 at 10:34 AM, El Pollo Loco said:

Tech was freshman year and Mizzou was sophomore year after the OU game.  I am probably misremembering, but I want to say the coaching staff had at least mentioned that Mock was going to run 2 minute drills Vince's fresh year. 

I remember drunkenly tumbling down the steps in the aisle of the student section when we scored the go ahead TD against Tech in the Chance Mock game, we had been drinking whiskey in our cokes all game, and I don't remember much else of that game. My girlfriend, now wife, was not impressed, but I guess she forgave me. I wasn't even still a student, but had a friend who was a grad student that got us a block of student tickets or something. Those were the days.

Cool story, bro I guess

Edited by Grande Mart
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, CashMcCoy said:

Agreed. That QB competition next offseason is going to be a shitstorm from the media.

It shouldn't be though. It's much better for Arch to develop and play as a 3rd year instead of throwing him in there with the fucking expectations so damn high his 2nd year. Even if he's ready it's best to let him grow up.

On 6/4/2023 at 7:26 AM, Horn Dogg said:

Texas roller coaster?

On 6/4/2023 at 7:53 AM, Armybrat said:

But with panache….

1DA1F8E6-BF33-4D1A-84D3-B65600908A8D.webp

On 6/4/2023 at 8:29 AM, TexasTroll said:

I read that as

” But  with Pancakes”

Misspelled panocĥa. Earthing better with panocĥa.....

On 6/30/2023 at 4:53 PM, Zeus said:

It shouldn't be though. It's much better for Arch to develop and play as a 3rd year instead of throwing him in there with the fucking expectations so damn high his 2nd year. Even if he's ready it's best to let him grow up.

Has any 5 star QB in recent years rode the bench for 2 seasons without transferring? I can’t think of one

15 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Has any 5 star QB in recent years rode the bench for 2 seasons without transferring? I can’t think of one

Brock Vandagriff was a composite 5-star, he’s going into year 3 at Georgia and still isn’t the starter. It’s gotten pretty rare though. 

I think the external pressure to start Arch next year (assuming Quinn had a great year and is gone) will be enormous. From fans, media, boosters, maybe even the Manning family at that point....Just not sure how you sit Arch 2 years. I think the plan was to sit him 1 year, but someone with his profile might transfer if he's the backup again. Hope thats not the case but just seems to be.

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

Murphy is a 5 star, was hurt but he's about to ride the bench for his second year. 

I think the Mannings would want to play it slow, there's no reason to rush Arch in there if Murphy is a stud.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sleepygrad said:

I think the external pressure to start Arch next year (assuming Quinn had a great year and is gone) will be enormous. From fans, media, boosters, maybe even the Manning family at that point....Just not sure how you sit Arch 2 years. I think the plan was to sit him 1 year, but someone with his profile might transfer if he's the backup again. Hope thats not the case but just seems to be.

Not so sure about that. The reports on Murphy and his spring game performance have added plenty of mojo to his cause.

4 hours ago, Sleepygrad said:

Arch is coming from a small private Louisiana school. I will be shocked if he’s ready to start game one next year. I don’t care who his relatives are.

• immamac changed the title to Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet