Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

On 11/27/2023 at 6:17 PM, hobbes2702 said:

No shit. MM isn’t the same QB. Saying Quinn can more effectively beat a defense than MM doesn’t change the point. I literally said in my post that’s it’s a combination. You seem to think it’s all Quinn and that’s just not accurate. He’s been really good, he has great tools. Those statements aren’t mutually exclusive.

There is nothing overly exceptional any of our receivers do prior to the ball hitting them in the hands. Nothing. Worthy runs solid routes but gives that back with suspect hands and literally never winning a 50/50. Any contact is a drop. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

There is nothing overly exceptional any of our receivers do prior to the ball hitting them in the hands. Nothing. Worthy runs solid routes but gives that back with suspect hands and literally never winning a 50/50. Any contact is a drop. 

Boy Meets World Yes GIF

Nothing overly exceptional other than the being open thing. Oh and the whole running after catch thing.

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, troph said:

I have a son that can’t stop arguing - he’s always right and finds places for disagreement often. I have compassion for Derka. I wish things were different. I wish we were kinder. I wish he could see it. Life isn’t fair sometimes. It’s why I often prefer fish, my dog and a warm bath over human interaction.

QE has weaknesses. He’s shown flashes. He has tremendous raw talent. He has improved. It’s well known he should return. We all want him to succeed and we all want him to get better.

can that be the end of it? 

please?

here’s why you’re wrong…

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d740dedr8c82umorxy41

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

19 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Boy Meets World Yes GIF

Nothing overly exceptional other than the being open thing. Oh and the whole running after catch thing.

Any decent receiver gets open, and I said none of our receivers do anything overly exceptional PRIOR to the ball hitting them in the hands. Running after the catch is after it hits their hands. We have good receivers but we aren't Bama, Georgia, or Ohio State. 

Edited by Thatguy

6 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Any decent receiver gets open, and I said none of our receivers do anything overly exceptional PRIOR to the ball hitting them in the hands. Running after the catch is after it hits their hands. We have good receivers but we aren't Bama, Georgia, or Ohio State. 

Again, why do you pretend that we don’t have great weapons all over the place? Why would you parse out YAC? That’s just dumb. Quinn has multiple TD passes this year strictly from YAC because we have guys that can make plays everywhere. 

You would take Bama’s WRs over ours? Ok then.

Edited by hobbes2702

2 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

Again, why do you pretend that we don’t have great weapons all over the place? Why would you parse out YAC? That’s just dumb. Quinn has multiple TD passes this year strictly from YAC because we have guys that can make plays everywhere. 

we all know that worthy is a tier 1 WR in college football 

AD Mitchell is going to finish with double digit TDs and has been consistently showing up in the first round of nfl mock drafts 

jordan whittington hasn’t been getting enough targets for my liking, but i staunchly believe that he will make a te in the NFL. he’s not as explosive or twitchy as the likes of DJ Moore or Curtis Samuel, but like both of them he’s essentially a running back after the catch. he’s a hidden gem on this team. plus his effort and versatility are off the charts.

JT Sanders is a TE who moves like a big wideout and who, while he hasn’t gotten the target share or production that he deserves, has a skill set that is only second to Brock Bowers in terms of raw talent at the position.

we really are spoiled for pass catching options.

9 hours ago, Slacks said:

who is predicting him as a heisman?

popular/reputable outlets have had him in their shortlist: sbnation, sports illustrated, and nfl.com

vegas oddsmaker placed him anywhere from 3-5 early in the season: betmgm, fansduel, caesars

in this thread, there have been people non-sarcastically flagging him for heisman

people here and elsewhere have predicted it, but he's steadily fallen off from those predictions as the season progressed.

12 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

I parsed out YAC because who has that stat to say we are better than any of the other good CFB teams out there?

Here is what I do know. Nabors has more yards and as many TDs as Worthy and Mitchell combined on 26 LESS receptions by his damn self! Add in Thomas and Lacy and you get another 1500 yards. I mean Harrison Jr has the same amount of catches as Worthy but 400 more yards and 9 more TDs when EVERYONE and I do mean EVERYONE knows the ball is coming to him. Add in the fact that Ohio State has Egbuka who had 1200 yards receiving and 10 TDs last year but has been knicked up and missed games this year. Still 35-452 and 4 TDs isn't bad. He is averaging roughly the same per catch as Worthy. I would take Ga, and Bama's receivers too.

Both of our receivers have flaws. AD has great hands but you can't tell me the last time he got significant YAC. Worthy is awesome after the catch, but drops a lot of balls, loses every 50/50, and you can't tell me the last time he caught a ball through contact. Sanders is a very good TE, and Whittington's talent is his try hard. I think the real issue is that it's been so long since we had truly elite talent at WR that we forgot what it looks like. There are great receivers out there besides ours my man.

1 minute ago, Thatguy said:

I parsed out YAC because who has that stat to say we are better than any of the other good CFB teams out there?

Here is what I do know. Nabors has more yards and as many TDs as Worthy and Mitchell combined on 26 LESS receptions by his damn self! Add in Thomas and Lacy and you get another 1500 yards. I mean Harrison Jr has the same amount of catches as Worthy but 400 more yards and 9 more TDs when EVERYONE and I do mean EVERYONE knows the ball is coming to him. Add in the fact that Ohio State has Egbuka who had 1200 yards receiving and 10 TDs last year but has been knicked up and missed games this year. Still 35-452 and 4 TDs isn't bad. He is averaging roughly the same per catch as Worthy. I would take Ga, and Bama's receivers too.

Both of our receivers have flaws. AD has great hands but you can't tell me the last time he got significant YAC. Worthy is awesome after the catch, but drops a lot of balls, loses every 50/50, and you can't tell me the last time he caught a ball through contact. Sanders is a very good TE, and Whittington's talent is his try hard. I think the real issue is that it's been so long since we had truly elite talent at WR that we forgot what it looks like. There are great receivers out there besides ours my man.

You’ve listed 3 teams, one of which absolutely does not have the WRs we do, and that’s the basis of your argument that we don’t have elite weapons? Our WR corp is only 3rd or 4th best in the nation? That seems pretty damn elite.

10 minutes ago, immamac said:

Can we get back on the rails for the Ewers thread. Some little tangents here and there that have to do with Quinn are fine, but we keep getting way too far off the rails into other topics that have threads. 

Fair. I’m just not sure why we can’t all agree that Quinn has been really good AND we have great weapons. I don’t get the pitting our players against each other thing.

• Hook 'Em 1

Option A
- Ewers goes NFL now
- Manning and Murphy stay to compete for QB1 in 2024

Option B
- Ewers stays 1 more year
- Murphy transfers now
- Manning sticks

Option C
- Ewers stays 2 more years
- Murphy sticks
- Manning transfers now

Which one would you prefer?

Edited by bad_teammate

8 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Option A
- Ewers goes NFL now

Option B
- Murphy transfers now
- Manning sticks

Option C
- Murphy sticks
- Manning transfers now

B is the answer 1000%

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Option A
- Ewers goes NFL now

Option B
- Murphy transfers now
- Manning sticks

Option C
- Murphy sticks
- Manning transfers now

Am going A. Option A probably means Texas wins the Big 12 and  at least makes the Championship game.. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

Fair. I’m just not sure why we can’t all agree that Quinn has been really good AND we have great weapons. I don’t get the pitting our players against each other thing.

it’s because quinn is the chosen one, and our fans have put all of their eggs into his basket since the day he committed- both times. anything that suggests that he isn’t single handedly leading a bunch of nobodies to an 11-1 record is seen as a personal attack on QE and is a potential world shatterer to those who are so invested in him. i say this with zero snark btw. this truly is the reason why so many want to downplay our talent around QE/ignore his faults/give him credit for our 11 wins, even though he completely missed two games and has been carried by the talent around him more than vice versa.

Edited by shadow_operative

20 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Of course. But let’s say you actually want to win football games and maybe you know make a long career out of it and get a job doing color on tv for millions a year and make a couple hundred million or more in your career.

So what makes you believe that the two are mutually exclusive?

3 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Just seems like more often than not the top college qbs go to shitty teams, which are usually shitty for a reason.

Yeah if you are picking 1,1 your team probably sucks or is tanking, but off the top of my head all the top tier QBs in the NFL were drafted pretty high.  Depending on where you rank Hurts he is probably the lowest as a 2nd rounder.  Brock Purdy or Tony Romos are incredibly rare anomalies that you certainly don't want to be molding your career path after. 

2 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Fair.

And probably different topic, but it kinda sucks that your reward for being a total complete badass QB your whole life is to get the shit beat out of you at the worst team in the NFL.

Thats exact why Quinn hasnt played like a completely badass at Texas. 

Dude is 2 steps ahead. 

3 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

it’s because quinn is the chosen one, and our fans have put all of their eggs into his basket since the day he committed- both times. anything that suggests that he isn’t single handedly leading a bunch of nobodies to an 11-1 record is seen as a personal attack on QE and is a potential world shatterer to those who are so invested in him. i say this with zero snark btw. this truly is the reason why so many want to downplay our talent around QE/ignore his faults/give him credit for our 11 wins, even though he completely missed two games and has been carried by the talent around him more than vice versa.

No one is saying that our receivers aren't good. They just aren't as good as you think they are. For example, Troy Franklin at Oregon was the number 2 WR prospect out of Cali AHEAD of Worthy, and sure as shit there he is balling out. These teams with good QBs have talent just like we do. Sometimes more. Also, almost all these QBs have had a mediocre game or 2. Penix just had two very average games the last two weeks. Daniels had a couple bad games this year. The only QB who hasn't had bad games is Nix, and we all saw him at Auburn. 

10 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

No one is saying that our receivers aren't good. They just aren't as good as you think they are. For example, Troy Franklin at Oregon was the number 2 WR prospect out of Cali AHEAD of Worthy, and sure as shit there he is balling out. These teams with good QBs have talent just like we do. Sometimes more. Also, almost all these QBs have had a mediocre game or 2. Penix just had two very average games the last two weeks. Daniels had a couple bad games this year. The only QB who hasn't had bad games is Nix, and we all saw him at Auburn. 

i mean, worthy is first team all big xii (including as a return man, highlighting his dynamism), AD Mitchell is the newcomer of the year and a projected first round pick, JT Sanders is first team all league will be a first or second round pick and is our best TE since J Mike. it’s the best group of pass catchers (including the backs, gunnar helm, whittington, etc) that we’ve had in ages. it’s an extremely talented group. to downplay how talented and productive these guy are makes you seem partial, and agenda driven. imo anyway. 

On 11/28/2023 at 9:17 AM, immamac said:

I hope he fucking goes to the NFL just like I hope J Brooks still gets taken in the 2nd or 3rd. I’ll gladly have them both back, but if we want to see if Sark is really building an every year is a potential run year we need to see what it’s like to have the next men up go with it. He’s proven he can develop over an entire 4 year run, now show us you can reload on 1 year cycles. 

Quinn will have given us what we all wanted. A run at the CFP, getting back in the legitimate conversation for national contenders and hopefully a big XII championship. It’s a storybook ending to his time at Texas and one that would do well with Maalik or Arch coming after and leading the charge to continue where he left off. 

I get this, but also if Quinn comes back next year we'll be competing for the SEC + CFP. Winning always makes the reload easier. Plus most reloads don't happen all at once. Let's see how we reload the front 7 and WR while having Quinn to buoy us :D

On 11/28/2023 at 4:38 PM, Park Gothic said:

Apropos of nothing, but how do I put someone on ignore? It's been a long time since I've had to and I've forgotten. 

Tired Monday GIF

Hover over their profile photo and it pops up. Anybody that has fewer than three pages on their mute list needs to get those numbers up. 

image.thumb.png.cf124451d57ae8db8a0bdaf8e39892dd.png

• Haha 1

Back in September-October, Quinn was projected as high as 6th. The latest mock drafts mostly have him in the bottom of the first round, and that's a huge drop (like a 60% or higher decrease) in money, but a few have him in the middle of the first round. Worthy and Mitchell are currently projected as first rounders or high second rounders and Sanders is projected as low first to second round. Will he improve his draft stock coming back with all of his favorite targets gone (assuming Adonai and Sanders declare given their draft projections)? He's starting over with Johntay Cook, Helm, and...Cain? Neyor (did he get a medical redshirt year)? Someone from the portal? If he hadn't missed those two games, he'd be over 3k yards with a 70% completion percentage and likely a 4:1 or better TD:INT ratio to go with his 5 rushing TDs (and he could still reach those numbers on Saturday). Does he vastly improve his draft projection with an entirely new crew of receivers to throw to?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, AnotherLawyer said:

Back in September-October, Quinn was projected as high as 6th. The latest mock drafts mostly have him in the bottom of the first round, and that's a huge drop (like a 60% or higher decrease) in money, but a few have him in the middle of the first round. Worthy and Mitchell are currently projected as first rounders or high second rounders and Sanders is projected as low first to second round. Will he improve his draft stock coming back with all of his favorite targets gone (assuming Adonai and Sanders declare given their draft projections)? He's starting over with Johntay Cook, Helm, and...Cain? Neyor (did he get a medical redshirt year)? Someone from the portal? If he hadn't missed those two games, he'd be over 3k yards with a 70% completion percentage and likely a 4:1 or better TD:INT ratio to go with his 5 rushing TDs (and he could still reach those numbers on Saturday). Does he vastly improve his draft projection with an entirely new crew of receivers to throw to?

You're crazy if you think that's what will be available to him.  Sark will be getting calls from the best receivers in the portal, and there are some great fucking receivers in the portal.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Grande Mart said:

I remember when Troy Aikman got drafted by a shitty team

They weren't shitty.

I mean yes their team sucked crap at the time but they had only been really bad for one year and would only be bad for one year after they drafted him. That isn't a shitty franchise, just a team passing through a transition.

That is not the same as being drafted by the Browns or the Lions or some other truly wretched franchise that will always be bad with will probably get you killed in your rookie season.

• Hook 'Em 1

They weren't shitty.
I mean yes their team sucked crap at the time but they had only been really bad for one year and would only be bad for one year after they drafted him. That isn't a shitty franchise, just a team passing through a transition.
That is not the same as being drafted by the Browns or the Lions or some other truly wretched franchise that will always be bad with will probably get you killed in your rookie season.

He said shitty team, not shitty franchise. As you just noted, there’s a difference.

9 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

You're crazy if you think that's what will be available to him.  Sark will be getting calls from the best receivers in the portal, and there are some great fucking receivers in the portal.

Yup. Not worried at all about us getting weapons at skill positions in the portal