Anyone else out of fucks to give?

Fondren & Main

10 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

This is the profile I wish we would go after like @longhornmatt discussed earlier. 

*Double digit win seasons prior to Texas- Gundy 7 (maybe 8 after this year), Strong 2, Herman 1, Sark 0

*Double digit win seasons in a power conference prior to Texas-Gundy 7, Strong 0, Herman 0, Sark 0

Texas keeps getting predictable results because of terrible hires. You would think eventually that Texas would hire a coach that has real skins on the wall in a power conference. 

I also like a guy that has done it at 2 different schools and at least one being P5(which Del Conte likes also) but Gundy has a long enough track record at one P5 school that it doesn't matter.  I think he'd do very well here. 

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

I also like a guy that has done it at 2 different schools and at least one being P5(which Del Conte likes also) but Gundy has a long enough track record at one P5 school that it doesn't matter.  I think he'd do very well here. 

he's at a place that's expected to lose to OU and is ok doing so. Have we reached that point yet?

3 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

he's at a place that's expected to lose to OU and is ok doing so. Have we reached that point yet?

I wouldn't expect Gundy to lose to OU with better talent at Texas. 

I have a hard time believing anybody would be against Gundy based purely on his coaching ability. He's consistently producing double digit win seasons, in a power conference,  with mediocre talent. 

I get why some would dislike him because of his politics but who cares? 

3 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Nobody gave a fuck about Royal’s politics 

It's a different time. 

With all the Eyes of Texas stuff and Gundy's politics it would still be an interesting dynamic. But I hope we aren't excluding good coaches because of their politics which I'm afraid might be a reality with Gundy. 

Just play golf and check the box score. This program fucking sucks and it only pisses me off where my friends even ask why am I so invested. Im done with these idiots until we get coaches who can coach, and players that are bought in and don't play like a bunch of pansies.

Edited by Blackcat00

2 hours ago, Incredulity said:

Nobody gave a fuck about Royal’s politics 

They actually complained about him hanging out with Willie Nelson. Much like Leach Gundy is a clown whos clown show works at a place like OSU, it wouldn't work at a real school.

Edited by Michael Knight

I drank no Kool aid before the season.  I was in full “show me” mode.  First game against an inferior opponent we looked good.  We competed hard and played well against Alabama.  Then we nearly shit the bed against UTSA.  Followed that up by actually shitting the bed against Tech.  I have enough data now.  This team is exactly what it has been - mediocre.  I’ll watch the games if it’s convenient and if I have nothing better to do.  I’ve been a Horns fan for 60 years, so it’s painful to have gotten to this point.  I have tickets to more games, and I’m planning to go, but if something comes up, I may not.  I really don’t like being apathetic, but here we are.

All the teams I hate are good. All the teams I love are bad to mediocre. This applies to football, baseball, and basketball. I’m down to the point where I’m just going to start recording the games and watch if my team wins and delete if they lose. I’ll just save myself the agony. This is the only solution. So…yes to your question. I’m out of fucks to give. 

I'll always try to get tickets for the OU game, but I don't buy season tickets anymore. Attended the UTSA game and that was my first game to attend in Austin since 2017 when Herman shit the bed against Maryland. My dad offered to transfer me his season tickets when he moved back to Arizona. I declined. When the athletics department contacted me asking why I didn't want to renew tickets, I told them that I felt like Texas doesn't care about producing an A+ athletic performance on the football field like they do in the classroom and other sports and until they start to prove me wrong and get back to the glory years of the 2000s I'm not going to waste my money on season tickets. Plus, as I've gotten older I've learned to stop giving a fuck. The less of a fuck you give the better you'll be. Don't let a bad game ruin the rest of your day and/or weekend.  

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, CowtownHorn said:

All the teams I hate are good. All the teams I love are bad to mediocre. This applies to football, baseball, and basketball. I’m down to the point where I’m just going to start recording the games and watch if my team wins and delete if they lose. I’ll just save myself the agony. This is the only solution. So…yes to your question. I’m out of fucks to give. 

Ha ha, I have about the same thing. Well, it'll come to our street, too.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I wouldn't expect Gundy to lose to OU with better talent at Texas. 

I have a hard time believing anybody would be against Gundy based purely on his coaching ability. He's consistently producing double digit win seasons, in a power conference,  with mediocre talent. 

I get why some would dislike him because of his politics but who cares? 

I know there's a difference, don't get me wrong.  But our two hires right after Mack were "do less with more" guys.  Hell, Herman even beat ou at Coogar High.

15 hours ago, Ignatius said:

I’ll always watch every game no matter what, I’ll always attend the OU game, and I’ll always make at least 2-3 games in Austin every year even though I haven’t lived in Texas for a few years. Texas football will always be part of my DNA. 

I see the problems everyone else does, I get frustrated/mad as fuck like everyone else does, and thankfully I get over losses way quicker than I used to. However, there’s nothing that could make me not give a fuck, even though there’s a lot of days I wish that were the case….

Bingo.  Sometimes I like to think I'm at zero fucks, but I'm fooling myself.  By the time I hit the gates of the fair, I'll be as excited as ever...and as pissed as ever while pounding beers afterwards.

I feel lucky to have fully experienced 2005 and am pretty much resigned to never sniffing anything like it again in my lifetime.

• Hook 'Em 1

Meh, if your weekend enjoyment is decided by the results of our football team, you've been doing it wrong for 12 years now. 

Sit back, enjoy the ride.  We win, yay.  We lose, boo.  Then go on with your life, leave your house and touch some grass.  It's just a game, the performance of a bunch of teenagers shouldn't make you so angry you can barely function afterwards. 

The only "fuck" I give is whether it's 11am so I have my entire day ahead of me after we lose or I have to wait all fucking day for the clownfest.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Meh, if your weekend enjoyment is decided by the results of our football team, you've been doing it wrong for 12 years now. 

Sit back, enjoy the ride.  We win, yay.  We lose, boo.  Then go on with your life, leave your house and touch some grass.  It's just a game, the performance of a bunch of teenagers shouldn't make you so angry you can barely function afterwards. 

The only "fuck" I give is whether it's 11am so I have my entire day ahead of me after we lose or I have to wait all fucking day for the clownfest.

The results over the past decade plus have been frustrating, but I'm way past my younger days of letting a Texas loss ruin my entire weekend.  Yeah, the feeling sucks for a while after a loss, but these days I usually have way too much else going on during the weekend (i.e., dinner party with friends, kid activities, banging the girlfriend), so I just naturally move on and don't let another disappointing loss kill the mood.

And I'll be in DKR on Saturday.

Saturday was a complete gut punch for me. I was screaming and cursing at the TV. Turning it off. Turning it back on. I was forced to let go of the idea that maybe this year's team could be something special. Oh well. Maybe they'll win the championship when I'm 45 - another year to wait. I could literally feel it like an illness when I went to sleep that night.

At times like that wonder, why do I do this to myself? Why does it hurt so much? Why do I expose myself to this pain?

Then I think about being a UT Freshman in 1996. Watching the gutsy roll left call on 4th and inches, leading to a touchdown, icing a huge upset win over Nebraska and giving Texas the first championship of the Big 12's existence.

I was HOOKED for life.

I remember a cool, humid morning the day after Thanksgiving in 1998. Driving through winding Texas highways early in the morning to get to the stadium in time. Hearing the roar of the crowd as Ricky Williams busted out for a 60 yard touchdown run late in first quarter to break the NCAA rushing record against the Aggies.

I remember January 4, 2006. Down by 5 with a little over 2 minutes to play. USC has the ball. 4th and 2. I scream at the TV "If we can just stop them we can win this son of a bitch!". LenDale White stuffed for a one yard gain. The rest is history as Vince Young led the Longhorn nation to the promised land.

That is why these losses hurt. I love Texas Longhorn football.

So I don't ask you to not be angry, upset, or even lose hope for a while. I just ask that you think about why you care so much.

Hook 'em!

Texas-Longhorns.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

Maybe I am not a sophisticated football fan, but since 2010, no matter who the HC is or who the DC is, the Texas defense has looked the exact same every single year. Maybe we are better at tackling some years than others, but regardless, we never seem to be anything but a mediocre, plodding defense that never seems to make a play when we need it most.

I will then watch other teams play teams that beat us, and their defenses seem to be bigger/faster and make the plays that we didn't. NC State turned Tech inside and out defensively, forced turnovers and dominated the game. How many players on the NC State defense would have been recruited by Texas? 

Also, I don't believe in football savants. I don't believe our program is "the right coach away" from being great. We have hired many coaches since 2010 and for all the pomp, none seem to look any better or worse than the guys that proceeded or followed them. Just the same thing over and over again.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, Ignatius said:

I’ll always watch every game no matter what, I’ll always attend the OU game, and I’ll always make at least 2-3 games in Austin every year even though I haven’t lived in Texas for a few years. Texas football will always be part of my DNA. 

I see the problems everyone else does, I get frustrated/mad as fuck like everyone else does, and thankfully I get over losses way quicker than I used to. However, there’s nothing that could make me not give a fuck, even though there’s a lot of days I wish that were the case….

Same. I cant ever give it up, but I wish I could. I will either have my ass in section 15 or it will be on my TV at home, but I will never not watch. It is a fucking chore though! 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, closetohumping said:

I know there's a difference, don't get me wrong.  But our two hires right after Mack were "do less with more" guys.  Hell, Herman even beat ou at Coogar High.

Strong and Herman have nowhere near the pedigree or proven results of Gundy. 

Gundy might be a "do less with more" guy but he's actually proven it in a power conference and over a long period of time.