NBA 2022-2023 Season Thread

Mitch Cumsteen

Well, it's complicated.  If Kyrie decides not to sign a new contract with Dallas this summer, then they will have cap space; possibly a max slot.
Getting out from under the Dinwiddie and Smith contracts was big.

Hardaway and Bertans eat a max slot next year (35m for both). Bullock and maxi are taking another 22m.

None of those guys are even average.

How in the ever loving fuck do people look at the trio of Kyrie, Harden, and KD and conclude the KD is the problem? TF is wrong with y'all? When KD and Kyrie actually played together the Nets were exactly as good as you would think they could be, even when the next best player on the floor is a coin flip between Seth Curry and Nic Claxton. And James Harden is worse than Kawhi for how he did the Nets b/c he had no grounds for beef with the team at all, he had no injury beyond the self inflicted kind, and he still fucked them. Meanwhile KD shows up to work, dominates when he's healthy, and on the whole stays quiet about the most dysfunctionally managed team in the history of sport.

I hope the Nets trade KD to Portland for something like Simons, Nurkic, Winslow, and GBIII with a couple of picks like 2025 1st, 2028 1st, and a 2024 2nd.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Fastbreak said:

Hardaway and Bertans eat a max slot next year (35m for both). Bullock and maxi are taking another 22m.

https://www.spotrac.com/news/kyrie-irving-traded-to-mavericks-1777/

Dallas took on about $28.7 million in additional taxes and penalties in this deal. If they re-sign Irving to anything approaching a max deal this summer, they’ll likely be a long-term taxpayer.

On last thing to note for the Mavericks side: If Irving were to leave, Dallas could create in the range of $30 million in cap space this summer. If nothing else, they cleared up some multi-year salary obligations in the form of Dinwiddie and Finney-Smith. But we won’t pretend like those were exactly bad contracts worth giving up even a single first-round pick to shed. The Mavs could have worked around them easily enough.

1 hour ago, SilasCoade said:

How in the ever loving fuck do people look at the trio of Kyrie, Harden, and KD and conclude the KD is the problem? TF is wrong with y'all? When KD and Kyrie actually played together the Nets were exactly as good as you would think they could be, even when the next best player on the floor is a coin flip between Seth Curry and Nic Claxton. And James Harden is worse than Kawhi for how he did the Nets b/c he had no grounds for beef with the team at all, he had no injury beyond the self inflicted kind, and he still fucked them. Meanwhile KD shows up to work, dominates when he's healthy, and on the whole stays quiet about the most dysfunctionally managed team in the history of sport.

I hope the Nets trade KD to Portland for something like Simons, Nurkic, Winslow, and GBIII with a couple of picks like 2025 1st, 2028 1st, and a 2024 2nd.

I mean, I’m probably the biggest Harden fan on here and I don’t particularly even like him personally, and think he’s just probably a mostly harmless weirdo that’s also an offensive basketball savant, but the idea that KD is a problem is, as you said, completely fucking absurd. 
still and all, they were a hamstring and an ankle away from cruising on easy street to an NBA title and even with the injury woes KD was so fucking awesome that they missed out on an nba title by all of 1/2 an inch on a size 16 sneaker. 

BTW- Great deal for the mavs. They get a feee roll at a playoff run with a top 5 NBA  player backed by a top 20 or 25 guy that should be working to be a good boy with an easy out and cap space at the end of the rainbow if it doesn’t work out. Maybe they get lightning in a bottle. If not it’s not like they were going anywhere anyway this year and this is liable to be interesting at least. 

So, this frees up some cap space for the Mavs.  Great.  Who are they going to get with it?

Keep in mind that the “free” cap also means losing Woods.

Under contract for next year:

Luka - 40m
Hardaway - 18m
Bertans - 17m
Maxi - 11m
Bullock - 10.5m
McGee - 6m
Green - 5m
Hardy - 2m

That’s it. That’s also 100m

3 minutes ago, Fastbreak said:

Luka - 40m
Hardaway - 18m
Bertans - 17m
Maxi - 11m
Bullock - 10.5m
McGee - 6m
Green - 5m
Hardy - 2m

You could sign and trade either/both of Kyrie and Wood and take salary back.

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

BTW- Great deal for the mavs. They get a feee roll at a playoff run with a top 5 NBA  player backed by a top 20 or 25 guy that should be working to be a good boy with an easy out and cap space at the end of the rainbow if it doesn’t work out.

Instead of retyping all of this I'll just share what I texted some friends. 

1288341395_Screenshot_20230205_210928_Message.thumb.jpg.9915d7e85d52f2be65e003c07a583a03.jpg

Either Dallas is going to sign him - which would obviously be a horrible decision - or Kyrie is fine playing out his contract in Dallas rather than Brooklyn. Neither scenario is something I'm celebrating if I'm a Mavs fan. 

Even if Kyrie gives it 100% for the rest of this season without a deal lined up I just don't see how he and Luka are supposed to fit next to each other. Luka isn't LeBron or KD. As good as he is he's extremely ball dominant and very much a look-at-me type superstar. He's basically peak Harden except unlike Harden he's just as good in the playoffs. 

• Like 1

He isn't playing a game until they sign him. 

He's hunting a 4 year max. He'll play.

Luka - 40m
Hardaway - 18m
Bertans - 17m
Maxi - 11m
Bullock - 10.5m
McGee - 6m
Green - 5m
Hardy - 2m

95% Hardaway will be traded by the deadline. We're not done making moves. I thought it would be this offseason before we made a huge move for one of Toronto's guys (after our first rounder goes to NYK) but after what happened today we might go all in for this year before the deadline.

16 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

He's hunting a 4 year max. He'll play.

***Without any Team Options or minimum games played stipulations.

He wants it fully guaranteed, which the Nets wouldn't do. Supposedly the Nets wanted him to play X number of games each year to guarantee the contract, but he wouldn't agree to it because he may miss games due to injury, not getting the Covid23 vaccine or from riding his boat off the side of the earth. 

• Haha 1

Then why wasn't he playing for Brooklyn?
***Without any Team Options or minimum games played stipulations.
He wants it fully guaranteed, which the Nets wouldn't do. Supposedly the Nets wanted him to play X number of games each year to guarantee the contract, but he wouldn't agree to it because he may miss games due to injury, not getting the Covid23 vaccine or from riding his boat off the side of the earth. 
Another supposed stipulation was they had to make the finals for him to get the max amount.

So reading a bit more about the Ja incident last night, and realizing that his buddy was also out on the court before being kicked out, I'm thinking Ja might want to shut the fuck up on this one. 

he's bitching about his boy being banned for a year when, imo, they should have permanently banned his ass. He's always going to be sitting courtside as long as Ja is playing there, and you know he will be right back to the shit-talking and trying to be part of the show after a year. Ja's an unreal baller and fun as hell to watch, but he does get a little cunty now and again. 

Fun rumors abound, Trade Deadline is this Thursday, so there should be lots of action this week!

The Phoenix Suns offered Chris Paul, Jae Crowder, and a first-round pick for Kyrie Irving, sources told Shams Charania of The Athletic.

The Nets reportedly would have accepted the Suns deal had they increased the amount to three first-round picks.

The Suns made the proposal within 18 hours of Irving's original trade demand, but then lost interest over time and never made an improved offer.

It's not a terrible offer, but 3 years and 90m remaining on CP3's contract was probably the issue. He's falling off this season, and lost his edge, I don't think he's worth 2 more years. Crowder is expiring too, so not much use beyond this 1/3 season left. 

The Los Angeles Clippers offered Luke Kennard, Terance Mann, a future first-round pick, and two first-round draft swaps for Kyrie Irving, sources told Kevin O'Connor of The Ringer.

Not a bad re-build package, but that's not what the Nets want right now...

The Los Angeles Lakers initially offered the Brooklyn Nets a trade package of Russell Westbrook and two first-round picks in 2027 and 2029 for Kyrie Irving, sources told Shams Charania of The Athletic.

The Nets informed the Lakers that the package would also need to include pick swaps and young players like Austin Reaves and Max Christie.

Hahaha, no way would KD let the Nets trade for Westbrook, unless they were shipping him elsewhere. That trade would torpedo this season though, and probably 2024 too. Not a lot of great options for the Nets being reported, so I can't fault them for taking that Dallas package. 

95% Hardaway will be traded by the deadline. We're not done making moves. I thought it would be this offseason before we made a huge move for one of Toronto's guys (after our first rounder goes to NYK) but after what happened today we might go all in for this year before the deadline.

There is also a 16m cap hold on Powell. They really need to dump hardaway and Bertans.

7 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

So, knowing that the only real priority for the next couple of years is to keep Luka happy so he doesn’t force his way out of Dallas and play his prime years somewhere else, your next move is to make him share a locker room with Kyrie Irving?  Yikes.

For some reason nba players like Kyrie and view him as a top 5 guy in the league. It’s really weird. 

12 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

10 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

There is also a 16m cap hold on Powell. They really need to dump hardaway and Bertans.

They can't trade Hardaway or Bertans without sending more assets along with them. Hardaway's contract is pretty bad. Bertans is on one of the worst deals in the league. Each has two more years after this one - Hardaway at about $17m per and Bertans at about $16m per.  Oof. What else do they have left to trade? This year's first goes to the Knicks. They can't trade next year's first because of the Stepian rule. They've got their own first in 2025-2027, and then the Nets have it unprotected in 2029. They also have 2028 but again can't trade it because of the Stepian rule. It would be tough to give up on those picks knowing how shit goes with superstars in this league. As long as Luka is there, you know they are going to be at least in the playoff mix. But If he gets fed up with not winning and wants out? Lottery city. Their best young asset is Josh Green who is finally coming into his own and on a rookie deal. Trading him would be tough to swallow. The rest of their roster is jags and role players and an unknown in Jaden Hardy.

I don't see that they have much of an option but to hold their nose, re-sign Kyrie at whatever the fuck he wants this offseason and go into the tax. All of this just magnifies what a blunder it was not to get Brunson signed early. Kyrie's unquestionably more of a talent than Brunson, but Brunson would have given them a lot of the same stuff at a fraction of the cost in a much more reliable body and with no drama or baggage. And the Mavs are also still trying to get out from under the Porzingis contract as well. Their roster management has been horrible ever since they drafted Luka. Well, it's actually been pretty terrible for years before that. The only time it was ever good was when Cuban could cut the check for the luxury tax and didn't give a shit. Well... those days are over in the NBA (except for the Warriors, apparently). The tax is punitive now and you actually have to make real basketball decisions with consequences. 

I guess I respect them for rolling the dice but I'm not sure they had much of a choice. It has all the makings of a slow motion trainwreck. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

They can't trade Hardaway or Bertans without sending more assets along with them. Hardaway's contract is pretty bad. Bertans is on one of the worst deals in the league. Each has two more years after this one - Hardaway at about $17m per and Bertans at about $16m per.  Oof. What else do they have left to trade? This year's first goes to the Knicks.

tim's tough.  we've been giving him extra (read: unearned) minutes the past few weeks hoping he'll catch fire again and entice someone to the table.  the prevailing rumor last week was a straight up swap with the cavs for levert.  

we offered wood, bertans, and hardaway to BKLN but they didn't want them.  josh green and maxi are basically untouchable (or at least there'd have to be a pretty outsized return for them).  hardy is another chip, who knows how the FO views him.  kidd is so hesitant to play him despite his flashes (and to be fair when he does play his sense of awareness is lacking esp on defense) we just don't know.  then there's javale-  he's on a team friendly contract.  we've had a couple games where he's been allowed to stay down low and not have to rotate to cover perimeter shooters and he's been effective.  on another team with a different defensive philosophy he'd be fine.  

And the Mavs are also still trying to get out from under the Porzingis contract as well.

?

By getting out from under that contract... I meant they are still dealing with the repercussions of both trading for Porzingis (i.e., the Knicks have the FRP this year) and then trading him away (taking back Bertans contract) to Washington.

I can't imagine Cleveland would make that trade for Hardaway without some sweeteners. I like Levert much better as a player even though they are probably somewhat equal... but Levert is on an expiring deal. Cleveland is set to clear a ton of cap this offseason with both he and Kevin Love coming off the books at the same time that Garland's extension kicks in. I can't imagine they'd blow that up for two more years of an inefficient, streaky, and defensively limited Hardaway Jr. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, Message Board User said:

This isn't even worst case.  Worst Case is him signing for 4 years and THEN having a break down.

19 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Or he plays great this season, they sign him to a 4 year/$200M deal and he only plays half the games because of whatever fucking reason that week.

This is worst case.  Not him leaving in FA this summer.  They'll at least have some cap room.

19 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

So the Mavs have no cap space and no draft picks. Well done…

Huh? They'll have at least 25 mil with a chance to get more depending on moves and how much the cap goes up.

Also No pics...do you have any clue what you're talking about?  They have EVERY first round pick from 24-28.  Thats 5.  Meaning they can still send multiple first round picks out to make a deal.

19 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Well, it's complicated.  If Kyrie decides not to sign a new contract with Dallas this summer, then they will have cap space; possibly a max slot.

Getting out from under the Dinwiddie and Smith contracts was big.

All of this.

And they're still trying to move at least THJ

19 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

Okay?  Obviously they want to move those guys. They'll still have cap room.

16 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

Luka - 40m
Hardaway - 18m
Bertans - 17m
Maxi - 11m
Bullock - 10.5m
McGee - 6m
Green - 5m
Hardy - 2m

Cool, that still leaves them with cap space.  Also Maxi down are not bad contracts. except McGee.  which is bad.

20 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Lulz at KD's attempted big 3. Everyone wanted to get away from that cornball b8da9c36707e959feb75e8919ac3a1cb.jpg

You’re an awful fan if you’re advocating for kyrie and harden over KD.  

26 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

Screamin A is hearing Brooklyn is talking with Boston about a KD/JB centered package. 

Phoenix May be in mix

51 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

They gave up quite a bit to get Harden though.

As part of a 4-team trade, traded by the Houston Rockets to the Brooklyn Nets; the Brooklyn Nets traded Jarrett Allen and Taurean Prince to the Cleveland Cavaliers; the Brooklyn Nets traded Rodions Kurucs, a 2021 1st round draft pick, a 2022 1st round draft pick (Tari Eason was later selected), a 2023 1st round draft pick, a 2024 1st round draft pick, a 2025 1st round draft pick, a 2026 1st round draft pick and a 2027 1st round draft pick to the Houston Rockets; the Brooklyn Nets traded Caris Levert to the Indiana Pacers; the Cleveland Cavaliers traded a 2024 2nd round draft pick to the Brooklyn Nets; the Cleveland Cavaliers traded Dante Exum and a 2022 1st round draft pick (MarJon Beauchamp was later selected) to the Houston Rockets; the Houston Rockets traded a 2023 2nd round draft pick to the Indiana Pacers; and the Indiana Pacers traded Victor Oladipo to the Houston Rockets. 2024 2nd-rd pick is CLE own 2021 1st-rd pick is a right to swap, did not convey 2023 1st-rd pick is a right to swap 2025 1st-rd pick is a right to swap 2027 1st-rd pick is a right to swap 2022 1st-rd draft pick is MIL own 2023 2nd-rd pick is HOU own

• Hook 'Em 1

Interesting chart here, and it includes the Kyrie trade.

These are Team Strength Ratings, meaning they sum up player impact metrics based on the projected playoff minutes from 538. Updated Projected Team Playoff Ratings using various impact metrics + 538's Projected Playoff Rotation Minutes. Boston is pretty clear cut the best team.

10 hours ago, Message Board User said:

I'll go out on a limb and say that the Cavs and Suns won't be doing any business together for the foreseeable future.

Not sure if you know the backstory between Quicken (Gilbert) and UWM (Ishbia) but it’s absurd, petty and really really dumb. I love all of it. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Haha 1

On 2/5/2023 at 6:24 PM, Wulaw Horn said:

I mean, I’m probably the biggest Harden fan on here and I don’t particularly even like him personally, and think he’s just probably a mostly harmless weirdo that’s also an offensive basketball savant, but the idea that KD is a problem is, as you said, completely fucking absurd. 
still and all, they were a hamstring and an ankle away from cruising on easy street to an NBA title and even with the injury woes KD was so fucking awesome that they missed out on an nba title by all of 1/2 an inch on a size 16 sneaker. 

Yep.  Almost beat a Giannis led team that punked the Suns.  Harden, eh, I don't love, KD seems to dislike him now.  I don't get why KD likes Kyrie, was it mutual disdain for LBJ?

57 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Not sure if you know the backstory between Quicken (Gilbert) and UWM (Ishbia) but it’s absurd, petty and really really dumb. I love all of it. 

Oh I’m well aware - both are MSU grads but they apparently loathe each other and I think Ishbia has said that his company won’t do business with anybody who works with Quicken Loans.

Petty Dan Gilbert is the best Dan Gilbert.

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Yep.  Almost beat a Giannis led team that punked the Suns.  Harden, eh, I don't love, KD seems to dislike him now.  I don't get why KD likes Kyrie, was it mutual disdain for LBJ?

Apparently Kyrie chased Harden out of Brooklyn. I was talking about Harden being an offensive savant- that’s in the past tense now obviously, those days are gone. He’s still a top level distributor that can take over a game at times in spots but he’s a shell of his former self. Which is weird that he aged quickly since he’s such a locked in guy to staying in shape and treating his body like a machine. 
Apparently Kyrie and LBJ are good now?  Who knows. More drama in the nba than junior high girls. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Oh I’m well aware - both are MSU grads but they apparently loathe each other and I think Ishbia has said that his company won’t do business with anybody who works with Quicken Loans.

Petty Dan Gilbert is the best Dan Gilbert.

That’s all true, but it was all launched over a couple of guys in UWM that in college banged some girl that married a higher up at quicken then talked shut about her and passed around pictures. Like multi billion dollar companies making major decisions over fraternity drama and blow jobs from school. Pretty crazy. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Apparently Kyrie chased Harden out of Brooklyn. I was talking about Harden being an offensive savant- that’s in the past tense now obviously, those days are gone. He’s still a top level distributor that can take over a game at times in spots but he’s a shell of his former self. Which is weird that he aged quickly since he’s such a locked in guy to staying in shape and treating his body like a machine. 
Apparently Kyrie and LBJ are good now?  Who knows. More drama in the nba than junior high girls. 

+1 on the junior high thing.  LBJ and KD used to be besties.  I don't think it's super tense, but KD definitely throws shade at LBJ.  Meanwhile Kyrie is being passed around by both or maybe he's been playing both.  I figure Kyrie was jealous of Harden at some point as well.

33 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

+1 on the junior high thing.  LBJ and KD used to be besties.  I don't think it's super tense, but KD definitely throws shade at LBJ.  Meanwhile Kyrie is being passed around by both or maybe he's been playing both.  I figure Kyrie was jealous of Harden at some point as well.

LeBron and KD are good friends and respect the hell out of each other. There's probably more animosity between Steph and LeBron. Everyone in the NBA loves Kyrie. Who knows why. Durant teaming up with him isn't that weird - even though we all knew it was a bad idea. It would have been someone else if it wasn't KD. 

33 minutes ago, ztejas said:

LeBron and KD are good friends and respect the hell out of each other. There's probably more animosity between Steph and LeBron. Everyone in the NBA loves Kyrie. Who knows why. Durant teaming up with him isn't that weird - even though we all knew it was a bad idea. It would have been someone else if it wasn't KD. 

Probably admire his talent and individuality.  

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

That’s all true, but it was all launched over a couple of guys in UWM that in college banged some girl that married a higher up at quicken then talked shut about her and passed around pictures. Like multi billion dollar companies making major decisions over fraternity drama and blow jobs from school. Pretty crazy. 

I actually have not heard this. Do you have a link for more detail? 

The two companies are sniping again in the news. Saw a blurb about Rocket calling Ishbia a bully but it's behind a paywall.