Just how down is ou?

TexArcher

26 minutes ago, HoustonHorn said:
On 10/9/2022 at 12:26 PM, UTEE97 said:
I wasn't referring to any particular game but to the fact that only a dickhead like him would try to score there when your opponent, who has dominated you all game, has clearly called off the dogs.

This is what got Joel Klatt nearly killed in the Box 12 championship Gabe. Dropping back to pass may their own goalline when they were losing by 67 points.

Untitled-3.jpg

Edited by Lou_Sassle
  • Haha 5

8 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

So I gotta admit this is a bit like “get in the motherfucker” but he also inherited a program that is constantly in the top ten, not the trash program we have been for a decade plus.

Bold strategy Cotton. Let’s see how it works out for him. I am hoping / betting on utter catastrophe. 

So I gotta admit this is a bit like “get in the motherfucker” but he also inherited a program that is constantly in the top ten, not the trash program we have been for a decade plus.
Bold strategy Cotton. Let’s see how it works out for him. I am hoping / betting on utter catastrophe. 

He inherited a program gutted of its top tier talent by the former head coach and attrition. He has plenty of talent, but the pieces don’t fit together yet. His perfect example is, “Hey, look at Sark in year one. Wait until I have some more of my guys and have time to do the full install.” He should get a couple years to work out the kinks.

Now, here’s me saying I hope and believe that he will ultimately fail. Not because I don’t like Venables, but because that would mean an extended period of misery for OU.

Look at the gooner players as Venables spins.  Eye rolls, meth mouths, dejection, disbelief, thousand yard stares, etc.  

They aren’t buying a word of it.  Every one of ‘em looks like they are sitting through an arraignment with charge after charge being read for the record.

Beautiful!

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Shaggyhorn said:

He inherited a program gutted of its top tier talent by the former head coach and attrition. He has plenty of talent, but the pieces don’t fit together yet. His perfect example is, “Hey, look at Sark in year one. Wait until I have some more of my guys and have time to do the full install.” He should get a couple years to work out the kinks.

Now, here’s me saying I hope and believe that he will ultimately fail. Not because I don’t like Venables, but because that would mean an extended period of misery for OU.

Maybe, but he walked into a program that had a high level of success for a long time without much of a down year in that time. Sark walked into a heaping dumpster fire of a program that’s been burning since 2013, if not 2010 when it started smoldering, and has been abysmal at maybe the most important position group (OL) for over 10 years. 

BV chose Lebby to run the offense and Lebby picked all 4 QBs on the roster. 3 from the portal and flipped Evers from Florida. He also didn’t have to put together a defensive staff that’s maybe worse than some of what Charlie and Tom put together during their first years. 

He also had time to pick through the portal and upgrade what was lacking. 

Edited by Js1

Something crazy I just noticed in the rewatch re: OU's offense.  We all know they had 39 yards passing.  They actually had 32 yards passing with about 5 mins left in the 1st half.  Think about that.  OU was down 21 pts in the 2nd qtr and only managed 7 more passing yards.  That's pretty crazy regardless of circumstance.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Something crazy I just noticed in the rewatch re: OU's offense.  We all know they had 39 yards passing.  They actually had 32 yards passing with about 5 mins left in the 1st half.  Think about that.  OU was down 21 pts in the 2nd qtr and only managed 7 more passing yards.  That's pretty crazy regardless of circumstance.

They spend the last 40 minutes keeping the clock moving to suppress the final margin.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Maybe, but he walked into a program that had a high level of success for a long time without much of a down year in that time. Sark walked into a heaping dumpster fire of a program that’s been burning since 2013, if not 2010 when it started smoldering, and has been abysmal at maybe the most important position group (OL) for over 10 years. 
BV chose Lebby to run the offense and Lebby picked all 4 QBs on the roster. 3 from the portal and flipped Evers from Florida. He also didn’t have to put together a defensive staff that’s maybe worse than some of what Charlie and Tom put together during their first years. 
He also had time to pick through the portal and upgrade what was lacking. 

Their success has largely been predicated on having an amazing offense. I just looked at the last 6 years of defense rankings and they’re more bad than good. 2020 was their best year defensively at #28. All the other years they’ve never been better than #60 with at least one really bad year in the 100s.

Now they have a defensive minded coach without the dudes on defense he’s used to having. Plus, Lincoln took their best offensive weapons. It’s a perfect storm for him to start off being terrible.

And, this is how I feel about it…

giphy.gif
  • Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

This laugh is courtesy @Cajun  Thanks!!!!

One funny part is where they talk about BV working the team too hard thru fall camp -- too many physical practices with no breaks.

They claim "these dudes are worn out... they have no legs... they're exhausted because they got put through the wringer during Fall Camp and have not had breaks yet".

Drumm:  "BV is a good coach...  but he's learning on the job."   😋

giphy.gif

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Yeah, they quit

8 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

They had all week to get a game plan together for Beville/Booty/Evers & instead chose to run wildcat to keep the clock running all game. They didn't wait until the second half to give up, they came to the Cotton Bowl with white flag in hand. Maybe they hoped we'd screw up enough to keep it close & they could claim some sort of moral victory, but they didn't come & actually try to win. I don't know why OU fans would even want to try and justify or ignore what they saw in the Cotton Bowl, but it sounds a lot like what was said during the early days of the Strong tenure. Even those steaming piles of dogshit teams managed to show up for OU every year. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, markstanco said:

What is his buyout?  I did a fast search and didnt find much, but I did see ou paid Ole Miss $750,000 buyout for thier OC, Jeff Lebby.  lololol

I don't know, but I'll bet the OU brass sure as fuck knows.  I'm sure they've all looked it up in the last few days.

• Haha 2

That coaching staff quit and allowed the players to quit last Saturday.  Now he wants to show players the door, and wants to talk tough to the media about it?

Yeah, every recruit that they're talking to ought to start listening real hard to the other ten to fifteen schools who are calling their name.

Jesus, this guy's a moron.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I cannot even believe this shit. It's too glorious. This guy might actually be a true, pure dumbass.

1) He fired a program favorite in Cale Gundy and lied about how it all went down. He did that because he needed a "culture change" and Gundy was a legacy guy asking too many questions.

2) Then he beats the shit out of his players routinely via violent practices throughout the week before games. He's said to be, by people on the OU side, mind you, berating players about toughness.

3) Then he trots his team out to 3 losses that get progressively worse, culminating in the worst loss for OU ever in the RRS.

4) And now finally, he's basically daring anyone to quit if they don't like all of that. Who in the fuck would like any of that?

If he is allowed to coach there for 3 years, as dumb as he appears to be, he's going to hollow that program out from the inside. Can this be real life for us? Christ. I can hope.

My only concern is that he’s so terrible, they might pull the plug early. We need OU to at least be competitive in some games the rest of this year, so they can sell themselves on Venables turning it around next year. 

This whole thing feels just like the Strong years for us, except Venables might actually be a worse coach. If he stays there three years that entire roster will be absolutely gutted. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Aslan24 said:

I for one can't believe the guy who compared the recruiting process to getting married is bad at managing young 20 year olds.

If anyone needs a good laugh just take five and read some of the comments on this tweet. "I'll be genuinely surprised if BV doesn't have a statue outside the stadium by the time all this is over" has to be my favorite. 

On 10/9/2022 at 8:00 AM, TexArcher said:

At this point, it seems like the best case for ou is that they're in more or less the same spot Texas was in during Year 1 of Charlie Strong's tenure: you've got a bunch of problems with no quick fixes, and your head coach is really a coordinator, but you kinda can't fire him after one season.  Multi-year rebuild incoming.  Best case.

And the worst case for ou is that they're going the route of Nebraska after Tom Osborne.  Dare we dream?  Well, the fact that ou was willing to pay players (Big Red Auto) when it was illegal doesn't help them anymore.  And there's nothing sexy about life in Norman, Oklahoma, so the one thing they had to recruit with was their superstar head coach, and they hit the lottery on that front twice in a row.  And that is gone.

So, how long do the sooners figure to be in the 4+ loss club?   A couple of years?  Or are they a former superpower with only minimal relevance going forward, like Nebraska or Portugal?

I don't know.  But I freaking love that it's a reasonable question.

Bless you, Lincoln Riley.

They are probably down enough that even Okie State feels good going into Bedlam.  

5 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Okie St will beat them by 4 or 5 touchdowns.

And I will watch.

I think so too.  What I meant was that it has been a pretty one-sided rivalry and OSU has lost to OU out of habit some years even with better teams.  This year is going to be the karma/payback tour, like Mackovic's 1997 year. 

Also, I just watched that BV interview.  Holy shit, the confluence of dumb and squirrely. What you would actually expect someone from Oklahoma to be like.  

Edited by Bullneck
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, ElChupacabra said:

If anyone needs a good laugh just take five and read some of the comments on this tweet. "I'll be genuinely surprised if BV doesn't have a statue outside the stadium by the time all this is over" has to be my favorite. 

I kind of got distracted by the score prediction thread.  It's worth the read. 

4 hours ago, Aslan24 said:

I for one can't believe the guy who compared the recruiting process to getting married is bad at managing young 20 year olds.

That little speech would be better suited for some homoerotic scene in the new Magic Mike XXXXXXXXL flick coming to a theater near you!

Good gawd, that dude gives creeps a bad name.

Maybe they keep the complete idiot for three years and he wrecks their program. Maybe they start a revolving door of shitty coaches. Either way it is looking like it will be glorious.

I can’t see any smart 18 year old wanting to play for him while he stuffs the hose down his throat and compares committing to marrying him. 

3 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

My only concern is that he’s so terrible, they might pull the plug early. We need OU to at least be competitive in some games the rest of this year, so they can sell themselves on Venables turning it around next year. 

This whole thing feels just like the Strong years for us, except Venables might actually be a worse coach. If he stays there three years that entire roster will be absolutely gutted. 

I don’t know, this seems like it might be even worse. Venables feels like the amalgamation of both the cluelessness of running a program that was Charlie Strong paired with the narcissistic assholeness of Tom Herman. Which would create a just the most chefs kiss of a radioactive medical waste trash fire in Norman.

Edited by Not a Sock

5 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I cannot even believe this shit. It's too glorious. This guy might actually be a true, pure dumbass.

1) He fired a program favorite in Cale Gundy and lied about how it all went down. He did that because he needed a "culture change" and Gundy was a legacy guy asking too many questions.

2) Then he beats the shit out of his players routinely via violent practices throughout the week before games. He's said to be, by people on the OU side, mind you, berating players about toughness.

3) Then he trots his team out to 3 losses that get progressively worse, culminating in the worst loss for OU ever in the RRS.

4) And now finally, he's basically daring anyone to quit if they don't like all of that. Who in the fuck would like any of that?

If he is allowed to coach there for 3 years, as dumb as he appears to be, he's going to hollow that program out from the inside. Can this be real life for us? Christ. I can hope.

Isn’t a lot of this why they fired Schnellenberger after just one year?

4 hours ago, ElChupacabra said:

He might have a statue outside of OUR stadium by the time all this is over.

• Haha 4