Just how down is ou?

TexArcher

This seems like maybe the thread to ask this:  is ou already functionally eliminated from the ccg?

they are 3 games back of ksu already with ksu having already beaten them. 

then osu and ku are 2-0 with tcu having beaten them. 

we are 2-1 with a win over them. 

They still have Kansas, osu and Baylor as tough games.  Even if they make it unscathed the rest of the way, 6-3 likely doesn’t get them there without some incredible luck in the results of the rest of the conference to get ksu and tcu to 5-4 while not having a Texas or ku or bu be better. 

Riley masked a lot of ou’s deficiencies with his scheme and constant influx of elite QBs.  We’re see first hand the difference when Quinn is playing vs Hudson/Thompson/Swoopes/Heard etc.  All of the sudden the offense is humming and clicking.  Props to Sark for getting the right pieces in place and we’re seeing week to week improvement which k haven’t seen on the 40 acres since the mid 2000s.  Ou replaced both their coordinators, good ones at that.  Lost all their elite talent except for Mims and Gray. Those idiots expected not to lose a step introducing new schemes.  We saw here first hand what the veer and shoot looks like when you don’t have the personnel to run it paired with a bad defense.  Sark had lots of the issues last year but at least we were able to game plan to the point that we led most teams into the 4th quarter.  Ou couldn’t do anything.  Their coaches need to at this point dumb down everything and focus on effort and fundamentals.  We’ve seen first hand how long it takes to get rid of the losing mentality and build a culture.  Ou’s culture was all Riley and now that he’s gone, they have no fucking identity and those players have no confidence in themselves and their coaches.  Fuck them, they deserve this.  I can’t wait to see them roam a decade plus in mediocrity.  This is going to be a major rebuild for them.  Atleast Sark had the pedigree to bring in top QB talent even when we are 5-7.  I can’t imagine they will be able to bring in any elite quarterbacks to play in that system and with a OC that doesn’t have any skins on the wall.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

I don't buy the argument that Lincoln Riley left them bare. Clay Helton left USC bare and Riley's staff is now leading the charge on a 6-0 season. Coaching matters. Recruit good players and give them a competent coach. That's how you win games. It has nothing to do with program culture or any of that shit.

Venables is performing at his best. I don't know what the hell OU fans are complaining about. Yesterdays game is as good an OU team as he'll ever have. Those standards are what we see at small time programs who rarely win like Eastern Washington or Texas A&M. That may not be the OU standard we've seen over the past 20 years but it's what Brent is bringing to Norman. Either fire him tonight or accept the truth that Texas is now your daddy. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Throw Josh Heupel in there as well. 18 months out from inheriting a smoking crater in Knoxville and they are hosting a matchup of undefeated top ten teams next week against Bama with a real shot to win it. 

Will he go to OU when they come calling?

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, bullet said:

And maybe Riley knew something the rest of us didn't when he cut and ran for the coast.  His cupboard may have been empty.  And he took what was valuable there with him.

Or maybe he just would rather do his thing in SoCal instead of Norman, Oklahoma? Sometimes these things aren’t that complicated.

The “cupboard is bare” talk is amusing to me. Yes, Riley took Caleb Williams, which is a big deal, but what do you think the average recruiting ranking is of the guys who are left? OU’s roster is still loaded with a bunch of 4- and 5-star guys, and BV can’t get them to look like anything except completely and utterly fucking helpless out there?

It took TCU four full quarters to score 38 points on Kansas… it took them barely over one quarter to do that against OU. I know that Kansas is improved, but their defense is full of 2- and 3-star guys.

My thought is that if your defense can’t function without 5-star recruits at every position and/or guys who have been in the system for 4 years then maybe your defensive philosophy fucking sucks and you’re not actually a good coach.

• Hook 'Em 6

57 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I was in the cotton bowl for John Blake’s last RRS. What they trotted out yesterday was almost, ALMOST, as bad as that team.

Wouldn’t it be great watching them limp into the SEC and proceed to spend the next 2+ decades mired in Arkansas level mediocrity? A man can dream.

I'd settle for another Blake decade, not 2+.  When your biggest rival is Rice level bad, however, it takes some of the fun out of it.  Nobody really cared about aggy in the 70s.  They had been bad for decades.  We had to promote pig and commuter aggy to our 2nd and 3rd biggest rivals behind OU.

I hate to compliment him, but Riley was an offensive genius and the best QB recruiter in the nation. It sucked going up against him, and we were at a disadvantage every year we faced him because of those two things.

It's possible his talent prevented a decline that should have already started.  But it's difficult to compare OU's collapse to other programs:

Nebraska - incremental decline. They went from firing coaches that won national championships to firing coaches that won 9 games every year to firing coaches that sucked.

Florida State - Old coach lost it. Then new coach who wins a title initiates the decline. 

Texas - Old coach lost it. New hires can't replace it.

Miami - Coach who wins a championship also initiates the decline. Lost its national image to the point where the brand they're known for only exists in documentaries.

USC - Begin to maybe fall off  a little and coach bolts for NFL. 

USC is the closest one I can think of. And OU doesn't have the same advantages USC has to make their down period somewhat moderate.

Edited by fellside
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, bullet said:

I'd settle for another Blake decade, not 2+.  When your biggest rival is Rice level bad, however, it takes some of the fun out of it.  Nobody really cared about aggy in the 70s.  They had been bad for decades.  We had to promote pig and commuter aggy to our 2nd and 3rd biggest rivals behind OU.

With all due respect, fuck that. Nothing would be more fun than stringing off 10 smooth buttfuckings on the order of yesterday’s raping.

If I could steal a line from the fat fucking retard, the cameras constantly panning to gooners holding back tears was borderline erotic.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, fellside said:

I hate to compliment him, but Riley was an offensive genius and the best QB recruiter in the nation. It sucked going up against him, and we were at a disadvantage every year we faced him because of those two things.

It's possible his talent prevented a decline that should have already started.  But it's difficult to compare OU's collapse to other programs:

Nebraska - incremental decline. They went from firing coaches that won national championships to firing coaches that won 9 games every year to firing coaches that sucked.

Florida State - Old coach lost it. Then new coach who wins a title initiates the decline. 

Texas - Old coach lost it. New hires can't replace it.

Miami - Coach who wins a championship also initiates the decline. Lost its national image to the point where the bran they're known for only exists in documentaries.

USC - Begin to maybe fall off  a little and coach bolts for NFL. 

USC is the closest one I can think of. And OU doesn't have the same advantages USC has to make their down period somewhat moderate.

The common denominator is that it’s really hard to find a great head coach, even for blue bloods.

OU lucked into hiring an all-time great in Stoops in 1998. Then they find their hand-picked successor in Riley who was an outstanding OC and (turns out) a really good head coach as well.

Venables may end up being OK, but the early returns don’t look promising. Teams that have good head coaches don’t typically look completely lost on the field, even if they have inferior talent. Great coaches find ways to make their teams look competitive in year 1 and you can see it on the field. OU looks the opposite of that right now and that’s a direct reflection on coaching.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Lebby has WRs and TBs that everyone recruited. Sorry, but saying otherwise is pure boloney. 

The fact that Lebby couldn't find a way to get Marvin Mims the ball is malpractice of the highest order. Can Beville not even hit a swing pass?

Venables' defenses were regressing at Clemson. He was wise to get out when he did. 

I still don't get the hire. Bob Stoops ran Venable' ass out of town and replaced with one of his dumb ass brothers. A decade passes, Bob Stoops still ostensibly still runs the football program, and he rehires Venables to be the head coach. There has to be some bad blood there. Not a great way to start a new and challenging job. It looks like program cancer from a distance. 

53 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Throw Josh Heupel in there as well. 18 months out from inheriting a smoking crater in Knoxville and they are hosting a matchup of undefeated top ten teams next week against Bama with a real shot to win it. 

Yep. And that Tennessee program had as much dogging it as any program in America. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Goredho said:

In 10-20 years, there are going to be a handful of teams capable of recruiting like and amassing the talent like Alabama has in the last 10 years, and they very well may not include not only Oklahoma, but Alabama.  Texas has the GDP of Russia, the 10th largest economy in the world.  Oklahoma and Alabama has the GDP of Kazakhstan.  

Umm, not sure if you've been following the news lately but I'm not sure that a GDP comparison of Russia and Texas from 2019 is particularly accurate these days...

• Haha 1

Watched the game at our usual spot in Addison - Sidecar Social.  It's a pretty big place, and there's usually a lot of trash talking.  The OU fans were quiet because they knew they were in for at least a struggle.  The Texas fans were quiet because, well, 10 years of crap.  I think 35 was the point at which everyone could relax.  By then, we were all so happy, we forgot to rag on the sooner folks.  It was a very weird environment.

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't think OU will stay down forever.  I think the move to the SEC will eventually help them, and they'll run Venables off soon enough.  Though it would not disappoint me if their next hire also turned out to be a dud, and they spent the next 10 years wandering around in the wilderness like we have.

That said, it's not every year we get to tap that ass for 49-0, so I'm going to savor this one for a while.

• Like 1

Venables will get 3 years at most.  He sucks.  Being a long-time DC and getting passed over for HC gigs along the way is a major red flag. See Strong, Charles.  

I wish OU all the luck we had over the last decade in trying to find a good HC.  I think they've again entered their Garry Gibbs, Howard Schnellenberger, John Blake era.  

• Drool 1

56 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

OU’s roster is still loaded with a bunch of 4- and 5-star guys, and BV can’t get them to look like anything except completely and utterly fucking helpless out there?

Those types of guys don’t respond well to being screamed at and called names.  Venables was a good to elite coordinator with a players’ coach above him at Clemson. I just don’t see it working in this day and age esp with Jerry Schmidt as his right hand man

eta Joe C is arguably the best AD around. He will absolutely make a change before 3 years if needed. And I doubt stoops will have any day in the matter next time

Edited by Sawbonz
Fuck OU
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Sawbonz said:

Those types of guys don’t respond well to being screamed at and called names.  Venables was a good to elite coordinator with a players’ coach above him at Clemson. I just don’t see it working in this day and age esp with Jerry Schmidt as his right hand man

That’s because BV doesn’t back it up like Durkin. Sure, scream and yell at me, but are you going to murder me? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6
  • Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Lebby is a fat tub of shit

Worst offensive game plan and preparation that I’ve ever seen.  Are you f’in kidding me…your plan was to go to wildcat and nullify your WRs?  Texas DC should send him a case of booze for making his job so easy.  Literally 8 against 11.

Congratulations to the Longhorns.  Still trust BV but he needs to fire some of these shitty assistants stat. 

Boomer…

This seems like maybe the thread to ask this:  is ou already functionally eliminated from the ccg?
they are 3 games back of ksu already with ksu having already beaten them. 

then osu and ku are 2-0 with tcu having beaten them. 

we are 2-1 with a win over them. 

They still have Kansas, osu and Baylor as tough games.  Even if they make it unscathed the rest of the way, 6-3 likely doesn’t get them there without some incredible luck in the results of the rest of the conference to get ksu and tcu to 5-4 while not having a Texas or ku or bu be better. 

OU may be functionally eliminated from bowl eligibility

3 minutes ago, MalibuSheriff said:

Worst offensive game plan and preparation that I’ve ever seen.  Are you f’in kidding me…your plan was to go to wildcat and nullify your WRs?  Texas DC should send him a case of booze for making his job so easy.  Literally 8 against 11.

Congratulations to the Longhorns.  Still trust BV but he needs to fire some of these shitty assistants stat. 

Boomer…

Texas can't defend slants and short/intermediate over the middle routes.  OU picks up a first down on its first drive doing exactly that and then.....never does it again.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

eta Joe C is arguably the best AD around. He will absolutely make a change before 3 years if needed. And I doubt stoops will have any day in the matter next time

It’s not just the screaming. It’s understanding the talent you have and putting them in a position to be competitive. I keep hearing about how complicated his defense is and how it takes time to learn it.  That’s fucking horseshit.  OU has lots of guys on defense who were recruited by everyone and this isn’t rocket surgery.

The last three weeks have shown that he hasn’t the first clue how to organize existing talent and put them in a position to succeed. I know it’s not fair to compare him to Stoops but that’s exactly what happened when he took over. The exact same team that looked completely lost under John Blake all of a sudden looked like they knew what they were doing and were instantly competitive after not being competitive for like 6 years.

Venables just sucks. There’s a reason he was passed over for head coaching jobs (including by OU) for like a decade straight.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Texas can't defend slants and short/intermediate over the middle routes.  OU picks up a first down on its first drive doing exactly that and then.....never does it again.  

Which is why PK is far from out of the doghouse IMO. He is still a massive weak link. 

• Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

The answer lies in the original post. The right coach fixes the problems at whatever school he’s at and the rest is largely bullshit. Get a high quality and the problems melt away.

I don’t know if Sarkisian is the guy and he’s still Seven Loss Steve until he isn’t, but I do feel like we can see what a difference he is in overall competence compared to Herman, Strong and even late stage Mack. I do feel like Venables measured against even early Stoops or Riley looks like Chuckles-level incompetent by comparison. That’s gratifying to witness and I hope they hang on to him for half a decade. 

I don’t want Venables gone until someone besides Castiglione is calling the shots. 

People overreact all the time.  OU is horrible right now but anyone thinking they’re on the way to becoming Nebraska is just living a dream - and you just beat your most hated rival 49-0 so dream away.  I still have faith in Joe C and OU’s athletic dept.  The sun did come up this AM.  Definitely a miracle.  

TLDR: OU sucks 

18 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Mea culpa.  You were right on Brent.  I hope you’re right again about the rest.  

2 hours ago, Red Five said:

I don't think we threw a pass after sometime around late 3rd quarter. Seemed like a mutual calling off of the dogs in the 4th. 

This. Venables saw Sark was doing him a solid by calling off the dogs early in the 4Q. Only a dick like Stoops would have returned the favor by trying to score meaningless points in the waning seconds of the game. Not to mention, they probably would have failed and made themselves look petty on top of being incompetent.

3 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

This. Venables saw Sark was doing him a solid by calling off the dogs early in the 4Q. Only a dick like Stoops would have returned the favor by trying to score meaningless points in the waning seconds of the game. Not to mention, they probably would have failed and made themselves look petty on top of being incompetent.

Stoops never kept the pedal to the metal.  63-14 was 42-0 in the second quarter.  You have plenty of shit to talk.  No need to make things up.  

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Stoops never kept the pedal to the metal.  63-14 was 42-0 in the second quarter.  You have plenty of shit to talk.  No need to make things up.  

I wasn't referring to any particular game but to the fact that only a dickhead like him would try to score there when your opponent, who has dominated you all game, has clearly called off the dogs.

3 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

I wasn't referring to any particular game but to the fact that only a dickhead like him would try to score there when your opponent, who has dominated you all game, has clearly called off the dogs.

Yeah he definitely had a rep as a dickhead.  Prob well earned.  And yes Sark most definitely let up.  Nothing to argue there.  Was as dominant as you can be.  

OU will never be Nebraska bad. Too close to Texas and they’ll never be dumb enough to kill that connection like corn did over utter pettiness. I’ll never not laugh corn decimated itself because it felt like it shouldn’t play 2nd fiddle to Texas. In doing so, they committed to being a bottom tier Big 10 team for at least two decades. 

Riley leaving seems to have killed their mojo. They likely can get it back, I just hope it’s a long wander in the desert beforehand. 

Edited by The Ace of Aces

Watching OU QB play yesterday certainly made me appreciate Hudson Card.  OU is a bad team regardless with a bad defense but they won't win another game without DG at QB.  I know I read before the season somewhere that OU was in trouble if they lost Gabriel for any meaningful games but that was a massive understatement.  

• Hook 'Em 5

NIL and the transfer portal probably mean the end of OU being a college football blue blood but they will never fall off the cliff like Nebraska as long as they continue to play in Texas which they will do even in the SEC.

Nebraska was the perfect storm of stupid. They relocated to the Big 10 fifteen years too late. Had they moved when they were at their peak they could have impressed their conference mates and likely continued to recruit despite losing every single rivalry. Instead they made the move when they were mediocre and they have now finished the transition to full blown doormat. Nobody in Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Philly, NYC,or Baltimore want to go to the cornfields to try and rebuild a doormat they never remember being good.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2