National Early Voting Thread- ElectionProject

StassneyHorn

I dropped off my absentee ballot at the post office this afternoon. Even though it doesn’t have to be postmarked until the 7th, I took it to the counter to make sure it was postmarked today. It’s a good thing I did, too, because it weighed over 2 oz. and required additional postage. 

Edited by WhatTheBuck
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

21 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I dropped off my absentee ballot at the post office this afternoon. Even though it doesn’t have to be postmarked until the 7th, I took it to the counter to make sure it was postmarked today. It’s a good thing I did, too, because it weighed over 2 oz. and required additional postage. 

That seems problematic. How many ballots will be returned to sender November 9th?

7 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

That seems problematic. How many ballots will be returned to sender November 9th?

Depends where. Some states mandate delivery even if they have no/not enough postage regardless 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Willfully Horn said:

Well, this is a little embarrassing. Hopefully everyone reads the instructions for returning the ballot better than I did. I read and followed the instructions for filling out the ballot and the envelope that holds it inside the envelope you affix postage to and return it in. But I missed the part where it said that an extra 24¢ in postage was required for the 2-page ballot. I’m just in the habit of always having anything remotely official postmarked in front of me at the counter. That dates back over 30 years to when I was sending away for mail order tickets to see the Grateful Dead.

The Dead had pretty rigid instructions for placing mail orders, like how to fill out your 3x5 index card for your request, including postal money orders as the only acceptable form of payment (sometimes separate ones to cover the difference between pavilion seats and lawn seats for outdoor shows), labeling the envelopes accordingly for the shows you wanted, and including a SASE so they could return either your tickets or your rejected order. Your order had to be postmarked on the first day of mail order if you hoped to get tickets. So the postal workers were used to a bunch of Deadheads coming through that day to get their money orders, fill them out, then come back to get their envelopes postmarked. Then you’d wait with anticipation for that SASE to be returned, hopefully with colorful, glittery mail order tickets inside. It would be returned before tickets went on sale through TicketMaster so you’d still have another shot to buy tickets in case you were rejected.

Those were the days.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Here’s what I don’t get about polling data. What kind of psycho is answering their phone and answering polling questions? I barely answer my family’s phone calls. 

And wouldn’t you rather voters hear that the other side is leading in order to motivate them to get out and vote? Or to get voters for the other side to stay home? I’ll bet there are a lot of people who would have voted for Hillary in 2016 but just stayed home because they figured there was no way in hell Trump might actually win.

The longest I ever spent in line to vote was in 2004. I overheard these two bitches in front of me talking about how they heard John Kerry was leading so they rushed right out to vote for Bush to keep gay marriage illegal. It took all the strength I could muster not to cause a scene.

1 minute ago, Voldemort86 said:

30 million total votes. Probably trailing 2018 by decent amount at this point.

2018 was like 36k or so. We are on pace to surpass 2018 early vote. Did you just make that up without looking?

3 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

30 million total votes. Probably trailing 2018 by decent amount at this point.

3 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

I thought 2018 turnout was higher. 

what was your goal with these posts? just assumed everyone would take your word and then when an easily verifiable fact was presented you doubled down, again not even bothering to check if your call-out was credible. I don't get it. why bother?

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68

6 minutes ago, immamac said:

Wow - Young people really fucking screwing the pooch here. 

Jesus can we wait until after Tuesday to declare this? They are, by polling answers, mostly voting next week. The later the early vote has been or mail in ballots received, the younger it’s getting.

The kids procrastinate. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Jesus can we wait until after Tuesday to declare this? They are, by polling answers, mostly voting next week. The later the early vote has been or mail in ballots received, the younger it’s getting.

The kids procrastinate. 

I mean why the fuck would you wait until it's actually inconvenient to go vote?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

22 minutes ago, immamac said:

Wow - Young people really fucking screwing the pooch here. 

Young not voting and older folks voting a lot makes no sense.

One side might have 10-20 years to live in the world they vote for. The others have 50+ years to deal with it. 

8 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Young not voting and older folks voting a lot makes no sense.

One side might have 10-20 years to live in the world they vote for. The others have 50+ years to deal with it. 

One last FU to their kids and younger generation? 

12 hours ago, Js1 said:

The kids procrastinate. 

Hope springs eternal.

I signed up for text alerts to track my ballot at VoteOhio.gov. Just received this:

“WhatTheBuck,  Hello. This is a message from Franklin County Board of Elections. Your absentee ballot for the November 8, 2022 General Election has been received, accepted and will be counted by the Board of Elections. Thank you for voting.”

• Hook 'Em 1

Today may be a big day - Texas’ urban counties are having high turnout, GA is having high turnout and long lines At University of Wisconsin

Can we break 40 million by Monday night? (Including late arriving mail in PA, NV, CA, AZ, CO especially) 

58 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Today may be a big day - Texas’ urban counties are having high turnout, GA is having high turnout and long lines At University of Wisconsin

Can we break 40 million by Monday night? (Including late arriving mail in PA, NV, CA, AZ, CO especially) 

Which is interesting because both Austin and Dallas have bad weather issues.

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Georgia’s early vote total in insane right now. It’s an Abrams tank (get it) of a machine 

I don't really get it.  Why did Abrams apparently fall off a cliff?

1 hour ago, MeerkatBong said:

Which is interesting because both Austin and Dallas have bad weather issues.

Sunny and hot in Austin right now.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/3/2022 at 9:47 AM, Gengs1 said:

One last FU to their kids and younger generation? 

Many of them verily believe that they are saving their kids from some kinda commanis, hommasekshul future, while not realizing there aren't many commanis out there threatening their kids, and their kids dgaf about hommasekshuls.

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Her machine is absolutely turning out the voters. Yet again. 

Doesn’t the word machine usually and historically associate negative connotations when it comes to politics and voting? Or am I thinking of another word that you generally don’t want to be associated with politics?

Wife voted against every Republican piece of shit on the ballot today in Wake County NC. Took 2 hours, she said crowd seemed more heavily dem based on their interactions with the candidates at the polling site. I’m sure it won’t be enough, but nice to hear anyways.

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Wife voted against every Republican piece of shit on the ballot today in Wake County NC. Took 2 hours, she said crowd seemed more heavily dem based on their interactions with the candidates at the polling site. I’m sure it won’t be enough, but nice to hear anyways.

Chicago Bulls Basketball GIF by NBA

• Hook 'Em 1

Got a postcard in the mail. Front is a picture of Biden at the presidential podium. On the back is a message saying something like "Joe Biden would be happy to know that you voted in 2020. Be sure to vote again in 2022." From some group in Spokane called Ballots for the People. 

"You've been a good boy FirstTimeCaller. The president is proud of you. Don't disappoint him."

I put it on the fridge for my MIL to see when she comes in next week. Need to figure out how to get some blue hats that say "Cut the malarkey" to round out my new shrine.