2022-23 MLB offseason thread

shadow_operative

If the Oakland Athletics move to Las Vegas, the site for a baseball stadium has been narrowed to one location — where the Tropicana now stands. 

A longtime fixture at the southeastern end of Las Vegas Strip, the Tropicana is on a 35-acre site that would be used for the proposed $1 billion domed Major League Baseball stadium.

The Tropicana’s new owner, Bally’s Corp. of Rhode Island, has indicated it wants to rebrand or demolish the Rat Pack-era resort near Harry Reid International Airport

https://www.gambling.com/us/news/las-vegas-mlb-stadium-apparently-down-to-one-possible-site-3818500

9 hours ago, Helobious said:

I just don’t see them leaving Oakland ever. I think the coliseum gets significant upgrades and they end up staying beyond 2024.

I wish they’d stay in Oakland, but I can’t see anyone wanting to pay for renovation of that decrepit stadium, and the taxpayers there have made it clear they aren’t paying for a new stadium either. Probably just a matter of time at this point. 

2 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I wish they’d stay in Oakland, but I can’t see anyone wanting to pay for renovation of that decrepit stadium, and the taxpayers there have made it clear they aren’t paying for a new stadium either. Probably just a matter of time at this point. 

Will it be like the raiders, the place is full of the opposing team fans 

or 

Will it be like the knights, the place is full knights fans 

2 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Federal Infrastructure grant money has already been denied once for the new stadium area 

IMO, best hope is Bay Area billionaires buy the team with the intent of keeping them in the Oakland area  

8 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

they instantly become the hottest ticket in baseball. Hopefully they don’t fuck the stadium design with field level suites and dumb shit like that 

Field level suites adjoining the on-field bullpens.

It's the new nostalgia...

So does that mean a runner has a slightly better chance of stealing a base now? 2.25 inches less length to reach the next base doesn't sound like a lot, but... something something dick joke. I would guess it will be tougher to pick off guys too, or maybe it allows for a slightly larger lead off. It would be interesting if stolen bases become more of a thing, since it requires a lot of athleticism and speed to pull off. Games would certainly be more interesting if smart stealing was a significant factor in run production.

29 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

So does that mean a runner has a slightly better chance of stealing a base now? 2.25 inches less length to reach the next base doesn't sound like a lot, but... something something dick joke. I would guess it will be tougher to pick off guys too, or maybe it allows for a slightly larger lead off. It would be interesting if stolen bases become more of a thing, since it requires a lot of athleticism and speed to pull off. Games would certainly be more interesting if smart stealing was a significant factor in run production.

And there’s minimal data on it yet so the quant’s heads are exploding.  One year of MiLB data isn’t enough for the true nerds.  

43 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Pitchers are also limited to 2 disengagements (pick off attempt or step off) per plate appearance. If a 3rd attempt is made and not successful, the runner automatically advances. 

1 hour ago, topochico said:

Pitchers are also limited to 2 disengagements (pick off attempt or step off) per plate appearance. If a 3rd attempt is made and not successful, the runner automatically advances. 

That’s dope. So sick of seeing half-hearted lobs to first to “let the runner know you’re thinking about him”

• Like 1

More details on the rule changes:

PITCH TIMER

In an effort to create a quicker pace of play, there will be a 30-second timer between batters. Between pitches, there will be a 15-second timer with the bases empty and a 20-second timer with runners on base. At last check, the pitch timer had reduced the average time of game in MiLB by about 26 minutes. This rule, which includes limits on throws to first base, has also increased stolen-base attempts. With this rule in place in the Minors this season, steal attempts per game have increased from 2.23 in 2019, at a 68% success rate, to 2.83 in 2022, at a 77% success rate.

• The pitcher must begin his motion to deliver the pitch before the expiration of the pitch timer.
  • Pitchers who violate the timer are charged with an automatic ball. Batters who violate the timer are charged with an automatic strike.
  • Batters must be in the box and alert to the pitcher by the 8-second mark or else be charged with an automatic strike.
  • With runners on base, the timer resets if the pitcher attempts a pickoff or steps off the rubber.
  • Pitchers are limited to two disengagements (pickoff attempts or step-offs) per plate appearance. However, this limit is reset if a runner or runners advance during the plate appearance.
  • If a third pickoff attempt is made, the runner automatically advances one base if the pickoff attempt is not successful.
  • Mound visits, injury timeouts and offensive team timeouts do not count as a disengagement.
  • If a team has used up all five of its allotted mound visits prior to the ninth inning, that team will receive an additional mound visit in the ninth inning. This effectively serves as an additional disengagement.
  • Umpires may provide extra time if warranted by special circumstances. (So if, as an example, a catcher were to be thrown out on the bases to end the previous half-inning and needed additional time to put on his catching gear, the umpire could allow it.)

Note that the rule that will be used in MLB is slightly altered from the rule that was used in MiLB this year. In MiLB in 2022, it was a 14-second timer with the bases empty and 18 seconds (Double-A and lower) or 19 seconds (Triple-A) with runners on, with batters required to be in the box by the 9-second mark and a strict limit of two disengagements per plate appearance (that did not reset if the runner advanced). In its most recent week of play, the Minors have seen an average of .45 violations per game.

DEFENSIVE SHIFT LIMITS

The defensive team must have a minimum of four players on the infield, with at least two infielders completely on either side of second base. These restrictions are intended to increase the batting average on balls in play, to allow infielders to better showcase their athleticism and to restore more traditional outcomes on batted balls. As of this writing, the league-wide batting average on balls in play of .291 in 2022 is six points lower than in 2012 and 10 points lower than in 2006.

• The four infielders must be within the outer boundary of the infield when the pitcher is on the rubber.
  • Infielders may not switch sides. In other words, a team cannot reposition its best defender on the side of the infield the batter is more likely to hit the ball.
  • If the infielders are not aligned properly at the time of the pitch, the offense can choose an automatic ball or the result of the play.
  • This rule does not preclude a team from positioning an outfielder in the infield or in the shallow outfield grass in certain situations. But it does prohibit four-outfielder alignments.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-2023-rule-changes-pitch-timer-larger-bases-shifts#:~:text=Shift restrictions in 2023&text=The bases%2C which traditionally have,operate and to avoid collisions.

Edited by Dutchrudder

44 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Hopefully it blows up in his face. Not how you build a roster, imo 

that tax money would be better spent in their scouting and farm system 

Yeah it’s terrible when teams actually try and put a good product on the field by forming a competitive team 

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

On 2/7/2023 at 12:21 AM, tx 3 putt said:

On 2/7/2023 at 9:11 AM, Hank Chinaski said:

Currently, the top 5 CSA's in the US all have 2 baseball teams:

Ranknosortblue.gif Combined statistical areanosortblue.gif 2020 Censusblank.png 2010 Censusnosortblue.gif Growth (%)nosortblue.gif
1 New York-Newark, NY-NJ-CT-PA 23,582,649 22,255,491 6.0
2 Los Angeles-Long Beach, CA 18,644,680 17,877,006 4.3
3 Chicago-Naperville, IL-IN-WI 9,986,960 9,686,021 3.1
4 Washington-Baltimore-Arlington, DC-MD-VA-WV-PA 9,973,383 9,050,192 10.2
5 San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland, CA 9,714,023 8,923,942 8.9

So technically, if Oakland moves then it'd be just the top 4.

And now that NL is the same as the Al, having two teams from different leagues in a high population area has lost some luster.

but things do get a little wishy washy in that the A's have a following in Sacramento (so do the Giants to be fair) and if you combine the CSA population to the Bay Area's CSA population you'd have close to 12.4 million ppl and the 3rd largest  contiguous area of population of sorts. So why would an area with clsoe to the rd largest population only have 1 team when DC and Chicago have 2? Well, DC is growing and Chicago has history and a loyal fans. So there's that.

23 Sacramento-Roseville, CA 2,680,831 2,414,783 11.0

If you were to design a system now, I would have to imagine MLB would only put two teams in LA and NYC. 

Everyone else would get 1.

Oh well.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, kevwun said:

He'll find his payroll limit eventually.  Even the Dodgers managed to do so.

Possibly, but its a long ways off. He is worth about $15 billion, and made close to 2 billion last year through his hedge fund. He might lose interest, but he wont run out of money. He could lose more than 1/2 of his wealth and still be richer than dodgers management.

11 hours ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Agreed, until I was in Sacramento and heard about people making daily commutes to the Bay Area. I laughed out loud thinking it was a joke and then realized that, holy shit, that actually happens. 

the cost of renting got so high in the bay area. you'd hear about entry level workers living in cars or places like stockton and commuting to mountain view everyday but i always thought they were the extremely rare exceptions.