2022-23 MLB offseason thread

shadow_operative

I don't see how two teams in the same division can have the two highest WS winning odds.  By being in the same division, they both have a much higher chance of having to play the extra best of 3 crapshoot series than the Astros or Cardinals.

On 2/11/2023 at 3:46 PM, kevwun said:

Justin Verlander was the 3rd best Astros starter in the playoffs.  He is a hell of regular season pitcher, but he's been worn out by the time October rolls around the last couple playoff runs.

urquidy should have had all his WS starts. We’d have another ring 

3 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Still don’t love it but don’t hate it like I did initially. The player’s support turned the tide for me. 

I still hate it passionately.  A handful of long extra inning games per year are cool and memorable.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

Bunch of words about balks. 

Major League Baseball plans to emphasize enforcement of the balk rule in 2023 as it implements sweeping rules changes, including a pitch clock that will place more focus on the arcane rule, league officials said Tuesday.

"We have slipped a little bit centrally with calling the rulebook illegal pitches and balks," said Morgan Sword, MLB's executive vice president of operations, at a media briefing to explain the rules in greater depth.

The balk, which is intended to keep pitchers from deceiving runners on base, can be called by umpires for more than a dozen reasons. Balks are assessed only with runners on. Prohibited deliveries with the bases empty are deemed illegal pitches. The import of both is especially acute with the new pitch-timer rule, which mandates a pitcher throw within 15 seconds of receiving the ball with the bases empty and 20 seconds with runners on. If a pitcher balks, runners advance one base.

Stressing the delivery of legal pitches matters because it coincides with the beginning of a delivery, which is when the pitch clock is supposed to stop. Pitchers who violate the rule are assessed a ball as a penalty. Similarly, if hitters are not in the batter's box and facing the pitcher with 8 seconds left on the clock, they will be given an automatic strike.

Trying to understand what constitutes a balk is tantamount to what makes a catch in the NFL. Umpires called 122 balks in 2022, the fewest in a full season since 1973, with some umpires more vigilant than others. Umpire John Tumpane assessed a major league-record three balks in one at-bat to then-Miami left-hander Richard Bleier during a late-September game. Bleier's three balks tied for the major league lead with left-handed reliever Will Smith last year.

A number of pitchers, including Houston's Luis Garcia, Toronto's Kevin Gausman, Boston's Kenley Jansen and the Chicago White Sox's Mike Clevinger, are expected to change their deliveries on account of the new rules.

Full article

5 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Bunch of words about balks. 

Full article

About time. Enforce the rules. It really isn't that hard. Jansen, Gausman and Garcia (and others)  have gotten away with too much bullshit. 

They might also want to ban whatever the fuck the Latin pitchers on the Astros had on the inside of their belts. Thought a couple of them were trying to rub one out in between batters last year. 

9 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I guess that was “crying.” But for real, the book has some interesting stuff about sign-stealing strategies from multiple teams. If you’re actually interested it is probably worth reading. 

“On the sign-stealing front, the Astros and Dodgers were suspicious of one another. One member of the Dodgers said during the 2017 season, they indeed did use a baserunner scheme, determining sign sequences with the help of their video room, an analog to what the Red Sox and Yankees had done in recent years, and to what the Astros were doing on the road. Another member of the Dodgers said that everyone was doing that until MLB cracked down on it in 2018. But there is no known evidence that the Dodgers were doing something as flagrant as the Astros’ trash-can system.”

On 2/9/2023 at 12:12 AM, gsoda3 said:

The bay area and Sacramento as a CSA? That's a stretch.

On 2/9/2023 at 8:56 PM, HornOnTheBayou said:

Agreed, until I was in Sacramento and heard about people making daily commutes to the Bay Area. I laughed out loud thinking it was a joke and then realized that, holy shit, that actually happens. 

On 2/10/2023 at 8:26 AM, gsoda3 said:

the cost of renting got so high in the bay area. you'd hear about entry level workers living in cars or places like stockton and commuting to mountain view everyday but i always thought they were the extremely rare exceptions.  

Sacramento and Oakland are only 1 hr 20 minutes apart. - 82 miles

Roughly the same time / distance as San Antonio and Austin. - 79 miles

On 2/10/2023 at 11:50 PM, Helobious said:

Astros & Mets too high. Verlander was their best ace and he’s gone now, you don’t replace that so easily. Mets are just cursed despite the heroic efforts of cohen. Padres same story.

Yankees too high. They fucking suck. Oh and that Montas trade is looking great. But not as great as the sweet taste of your tears. 

• Haha 1