Texas opens as a Pick Em @ Kansas State

TexasMan

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

If you bet $100 on the ML for every Texas opponent this season you would be down about $90.

I’m talking about those inexplicable lines we get after looking like dogshit where every Texas fan thinks betting against the Horns is free money.

It seems like we always show up for those.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I’m talking about those inexplicable lines we get after looking like dogshit where every Texas fan thinks betting against the Horns is free money.

It seems like we always show up for those.

Got it. People said the same thing about the OSU line and it took our worst performance of the season combined with crap officiating to not cover.

Not saying we are definitely covering but vegas ain’t stupid. They know by setting a line like this they are inviting people to bet Kansas State and it doesn’t seem like they mind.

Did anybody watch the OSU-KSU game?  What did KSU do (or OSU do) to cause a 48-0 score. 

The box score doesn't really tell the story.  KSU had a 150 yard rusher, won the turnover battle 3-0, and held OSU to 59 yards rushing, but nothing there stands out as leading to such a beatdown.

2 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

Did anybody watch the OSU-KSU game?  What did KSU do (or OSU do) to cause a 48-0 score. 

The box score doesn't really tell the story.  KSU had a 150 yard rusher, won the turnover battle 3-0, and held OSU to 59 yards rushing, but nothing there stands out as leading to such a beatdown.

Sanders looked like he had blown his load last week and could barely hold his arm above his head.

OSU also dropped a bunch of passes, got called for some timely penalties (gasp) and got gashed on the ground early.

Kansas State also played super clean and made some unbelievable catches in the first half.

• Hook 'Em 2

Sanders looked like he had blown his load last week and could barely hold his arm above his head.  OSU also dropped a bunch of passes, got called for some timely penalties (gasp) and got gashed on the ground early.  Kansas State also played super clean and made some unbelievable catches in the first half.

Okie lite looked dead and had some injuries. Just a beat up worn out team.

Can't go up to Manhattan and win that way.

Also...  K-State played their best game of the season especially throwing the ball and tackling. 

3 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I don’t see any way Texas wins this game.

We’ve led by at least 6 points in every game we’ve played this year. 

I can absolutely see a way we win this game. I could also see a way we lose it. Which is why it’s a pick em.

Saying we have no shot is just battered fan syndrome.

• Hook 'Em 6

28 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

Howard is able to stretch the field and open up the running game for Vaughn. And then the defense didn't allow OSU to even get into the red zone.

21 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I can absolutely see a way we win this game. I could also see *multiple ways we lose it. Which is why it’s a pick em.

*ftfy

Howard is a better thrower than Martinez and it’s not close based off what I’ve seen the last few weeks.

Howard has also been awful at K State prior to the 1.somthing games. Definitely some recency bias.

Either could absolutely light the Texas defense up in its current state, though.

What if I told you there are….multiple ways we can win this game, including scoring more points than Kansas State

I'd say I am interested in hearing about the ones that do not involve scoring more points than Kansas State.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

We honestly might be better off facing Martinez instead of Howard. Howard has looked decent throwing the ball.

Howard is sub 60% completions this year. This is PK’s chance. Texas may still lose, but damn it force an offense to beat you with what they are not comfortable doing. Make Martinez or Howard beat you with their arms. 

3 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Howard is sub 60% completions this year. This is PK’s chance. Texas may still lose, but damn it force an offense to beat you with what they are not comfortable doing. Make Martinez or Howard beat you with their arms. 

Less about accuracy and more about the fact that I think Howard pushes the ball down the field better. Neither is good but I think Howard offers slightly more value as a passer but obviously less as a runner unless BJ Foster is chasing him.

19 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Less about accuracy and more about the fact that I think Howard pushes the ball down the field better. Neither is good but I think Howard offers slightly more value as a passer but obviously less as a runner unless BJ Foster is chasing him.

Not arguing that. I just want a game plan that takes away, what the offense does best. I can live with the QB going off, but if KSU runs for 300, it’s time to burn PKs house down 

4 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Not arguing that. I just want a game plan that takes away, what the offense does best. I can live with the QB going off, but if KSU runs for 300, it’s time to burn PKs house down 

Considering how out of hand the was early, I was surprised to see K-State *only* ran for 199 yesterday. Howard had 4 touchdown throws in the first half.

They dress up their run game pretty well. Lots of eye candy and putting pressure on the safeties and LB’s to take good angles, especially when they hand it to Vaughn. 

Similar to what we did against OSU for a half, they gashed them right up the middle early and I am somewhat optimistic they won’t be able to do that against our front.

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

I can absolutely see a way we win this game. I could also see a way we lose it. Which is why it’s a pick em.

Is it really a syndrome if you get battered every single time? When was the last time we won a road game? 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Sark's pathetic 1-6 or whatever the fuck it is road record has nothing to do with UTSD. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Is it really a syndrome if you get battered every single time? When was the last time we won a road game? 

Last year. At some point in the next 100 years we are going to win another road game and then we will move onto some other stat to cling onto that involves past games that current players haven’t even been involved in.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

Sark's pathetic 1-6 or whatever the fuck it is road record has nothing to do with UTSD. 

So if we won against OSU and were a pathetic 2-5 instead of a pathetic 1-6 that would be make you feel that much more confident?

Edited by Hookem2147

4 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

It does. Texas was 5-7 last year. You tell me that and I didn’t have to watch last season to figure out Texas sucked on the road. To win on the road you need consistent QB play, OL play, or Defense. You have 2 of those and you likely a very good team. Texas has not had 1 on those things, since Elhinger left. 

3 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

It does. Texas was 5-7 last year. You tell me that and I didn’t have to watch last season to figure out Texas sucked on the road. To win on the road you need consistent QB play, OL play, or Defense. You have 2 of those and you likely a very good team. Texas has not had 1 on those things, since Elhinger left. 

So fan feelings about the team are affecting how they perform on the road?

21 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Last year. At some point in the next 100 years we are going to win another road game and then we will move onto some other stat to cling onto that involves past games that current players haven’t even been involved in.

Hahahahahaha. What the fuck?

The current players are 100% involved with Seven Loss Steve’s pathetic road record and performances. And playing on the road is absolutely something that teams can either be poor performers or outstanding performers for non-esoteric reasons. Arguing otherwise is some of the dumbest shit possible, even for this board. 

I watched the KSU performance yesterday. They played a flawless game with a best ever output from a terrible QB. OSU was beaten up, slow and lethargic. Texas has better talent across the board than KSU except at DE and LB. If the road isn’t an issue, Texas should win. Something tells me that our loser of a head coach will find a way to fuck it up, nonetheless. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

46 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Well I would fucking hope we win at some point in the next 100 years. You seem to have more contempt over the frustration of fans than the actual incompetency of the coaches themselves. We should absolutely beat a team will Will Howard at QB. Just like we should have beaten Oklahoma State. Or Texas Tech who’s QB in that game was so amazing he was benched shortly after playing us. 

But the combination of Sark’s second half game plans and PK’s complete and total incompetence as a coach prevent that from happening. So there is no reason to expect a different result Saturday. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

We should absolutely beat a team will Will Howard at QB.

I wish it was that easy. I’m sure Oklahoma State told themselves that too. They start 19 juniors and seniors, have one of the best edge players in the Big 12 and are able to cover up their deficiencies with experience in a lot of spots.

Sure we have the raw talent advantage over them but if just came down to who was playing QB they would be a lot worse than they are. Martinez had 4 passing touchdowns the entire season and they matched that in one half yesterday. They absolutely played the game of their lives that they are unlikely to replicate again but they aren’t a bunch of scrubs.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Pretty sure Adrian Martinez is going to play.   Pumped to see our micro backer try to tackle him.  

Correct. Martinez could have played yesterday. 

11 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I wish it was that easy. I’m sure Oklahoma State told themselves that too. They start 19 juniors and seniors, have one of the best edge players in the Big 12 and are able to cover up their deficiencies with experience in a lot of spots.

Sure we have the raw talent advantage over them but if just came down to who was playing QB they would be a lot worse than they are. Martinez had 4 passing touchdowns the entire season and they matched that in one half yesterday. They absolutely played the game of their lives that they are unlikely to replicate again but they aren’t a bunch of scrubs.

Who thinks KSU is a “bunch of scrubs”? You’re crafting a strawman. No one on this board worth a fuck thinks going into Manhattan and facing KSU in any situation other than a potential angry buttfucking for us. 

16 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

One reason KSU looked better against OSU than Texas is because they didn’t have an entire officiating crew aligned against them. With that said, KSU is likely to blow Texas off the field.  

While that's one reason, it's gotta be like 7th or 8th down the list

• Hook 'Em 2

28 minutes ago, TexasMan said:

BTW - hold your nose and pick aggy -4 before it goes up to a touchdown. Florida absolutely stinks and aggy will run them off the field. If not, they seriously need to think about buying out Jimbo. 

They lost to App State and SCar and aren’t looking particularly better despite one good game from their QB as their defense is regressing. I wouldn’t feel comfortable betting on them to cover any games they have left.

• Hook 'Em 1