2023 Official Astros World Champs Offseason Thread

tx 3 putt

37 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

See if Jerry West wants a new challenge? He's built a ton of NBA championship teams, maybe he would like to try baseball? 

I know that you aren’t serious but I am absolutely convinced the Texans could hire Luhnow and kick ass within 5 years. NFL GM’s are idiots. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I know that you aren’t serious but I am absolutely convinced the Texans could hire Luhnow and kick ass within 5 years. NFL GM’s are idiots. 

Now that would be an interesting hire for GM of the Texans. 

West wouldn't be a great baseball guy, but I think some NBA GMs could be good at baseball. Darryl Morey is an analytics guru, and I bet he would be awesome as a MLB GM. Plus baseball tends to trade tons of prospects around and that creates a lot of opportunities for guys who like to wheel and deal. You know someone like Morey would be great at recognizing talent early and trying to acquire the right guys before the other team realizes what they have. 

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I just don’t see how there are 7 better RHP prospects than Hunter Brown. 

Narrators voice- “there aren’t”. 

33 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Now that would be an interesting hire for GM of the Texans. 

West wouldn't be a great baseball guy, but I think some NBA GMs could be good at baseball. Darryl Morey is an analytics guru, and I bet he would be awesome as a MLB GM. Plus baseball tends to trade tons of prospects around and that creates a lot of opportunities for guys who like to wheel and deal. You know someone like Morey would be great at recognizing talent early and trying to acquire the right guys before the other team realizes what they have. 

I would imagine either Luhnow or Morey could be good GM’s in all 3 sports. 

fwiw, hunter brown has the 3rd best odds on my book for al roy (+748).  only gunnar hunderson (+311) and royce lewis (+684) are higher.

as for wins, astros are 97.5 and the ones in the same neighborhood (90+) are padres (93.5), dodgers (96.5), nyy (95.5), toronto (93.5), braves (94.5) and mets (95.5).  so yeah, we're projected to win the most games, but somewhere on mlbn or on twitter, there will be a list where we don't make the top 10 or some such.

50 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Has no one who makes predictions for 2023 bothered to look at what happened to the Dodgers roster in the offseason?  I don't know how you can follow baseball and not notice that they took a big step backwards.

50 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Under for the dodgers 

No shit.

If they're going to give you that, you pound the under. No sense in complaining. Go win some $$$$$.

I’m assuming that’s sarcastic but if not please go look at the CFs around the MLB. Chas is definitely top 10. His OPS is on the level of Benintendi who just got paid $15million a year. He is also better offensively than Yastrzemski, who is ranked ahead of him and 4 years older. The rest of the list is hard to argue with.

12 minutes ago, LebongJames said:

I’m assuming that’s sarcastic but if not please go look at the CFs around the MLB. Chas is definitely top 10. His OPS is on the level of Benintendi who just got paid $15million a year. He is also better offensively than Yastrzemski, who is ranked ahead of him and 4 years older. The rest of the list is hard to argue with.

It’s sarcasm. But it’s a reference to another poster who does actually believe that.

• Hook 'Em 2

We won the whole goddamn thing two months ago, I couldn't care less about any of those clickbait tweets/articles/predictions for the 2023 Astros right now, and I say that as Htown sports fan who has historically been quick to trigger over national media disrespect. Stros had sex and fucked em all, I'm still in celebration mode. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/15/2023 at 6:10 AM, slorch said:

"The reasons for the blackouts is simple and twofold: The first reason is cable providers' desire for exclusive broadcasting rights in their local networks. The second, is MLB's desire to get fans into the stadium for attendance purposes."

Bull fucking shit on both accounts.  1)I cannot get local H-town broadcasts in Amarillo, nor do I even have it available on a regional network like I do for the Rangers. 2) I live 600 miles from Houston.  TV availability factors in exactly zero percent in my opportunity to attend a game at MMP. I live almost 200 miles closer to Denver, but they're not local. Kansas City Royals are 8 miles farther from me than MMP, and they aren't local either...for a good gotdam reason.

What's dumb AF is that even when I tried last year to PAY MLB for access, they are still blacked out because I live in the state of Texas.  When the Astros play on TBS or TNT or whatever...blacked out.   It's so fucking stupid.  Here's a map of the "local" areas.  Check out poor Iowa.  MLB just hates their ass.

mlb-blackout-map-embed-031020_nbquebelwu

It's easy to solve blackouts.  Don't drink whiskey