Big 12 Basketball '22-'23 (fuck Baylor)

ztejas

2 hours ago, HookEm said:

Tech is playing with some desperation, having won 5 of their last 7.  If they win 2 more (plus probably a win in the Big 12 tourney), they have a real shot at making the tournament.

They play TCU and Okie State at home, both winnable games. And get OU and KU on the road. There is a reasonable chance that they go 3/5.

They still have a lot of work to do because they only have 4 combined quadrant 1 and 2 wins. 

The 4 quad 1 wins isn't bad but their problem is they have 0 quad 2 wins. For example, look at another bubble team in Oklahoma State. They have 8 combined quadrant 1 and 2 wins which is twice as many as Tech. 

13 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

They still have a lot of work to do because they only have 4 combined quadrant 1 and 2 wins. 

The 4 quad 1 wins isn't bad but their problem is they have 0 quad 2 wins. For example, look at another bubble team in Oklahoma State. They have 8 combined quadrant 1 and 2 wins which is twice as many as Tech. 

So if Tech beats OU on the road, and TCU and Oklahoma State at home, that should give them 2 more quad 1 wins and 2 Quad 2, bringing the total to 7.  If they get at least one win in the Big 12 tournament, that should be at least Quad 2, maybe Quad 1.  Wouldn't that be enough to get in at that point?

Edited by Uncle Nate

7 hours ago, Uncle Nate said:

So if Tech beats OU on the road, and TCU and Oklahoma State at home, that should give them 2 more quad 1 wins and 2 Quad 2, bringing the total to 7.  If they get at least one win in the Big 12 tournament, that should be at least Quad 2, maybe Quad 1.  Wouldn't that be enough to get in at that point?

People should be comparing your projected resume to West Virginia. OSU is going to make the tournament. The Big 12 is getting 8 teams in, Tech and West Virigina are likely battling for that 8th spot.

Edited by HtownHorn

On 2/19/2023 at 12:43 PM, JWinTX said:

I’ve seen this movie before…KU takes first by themselves or with someone, then we watch ISU go all in at Hilton South and win the Big 12 Tournament…and then when everyone calls them a Final Four dark horse, they’ll get beat by some midmajor in the 1st round.

I’m starting to think this goes like last year.  The Big 12 teams have us figured out, and we’ll bounce out of KC after a day or two (depending on matchup) and we’ll fare better in the dance against someone who hasn’t played us.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, MuellerHorn said:

Absolutely massive game for Texas tonight and they're not even playing. #3 Kansas @ #24 TCU. TCU has Miles back and looks like a completely different team. Texas needs TCU to take this match up.

Not sure if it's accurate but I read something earlier about Bill Self is 24-0 on Big Monday or something like that.

8 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

As someone who incessantly bitches about lack of fundamental basketball….

….and God this hurts….

Grayson Dick’s “follow my own shot” rebound put back dunk (sort of) was awesome

He had at least 2 of those in LBK against Tech when Kansas won 75-72.  I just thought to myself during the game, "You don't see that play much any more...and that sumbeech did it twice tonight."

6 minutes ago, Pancho said:

I think it’s over. We are playing for 2nd place and seeding.

Yup.

I think you guys are in a pretty solid position for 2nd, and KSU, Baylor, and us are playing for 3-5.  Y'all aren't going to get your shot at Grill tonight by all accounts.  He didn't play Saturday and probably won't play tonight.  Last line I saw was UT -7.5.  Sounds about right.  I'm sure we'll have a lead early in the 2nd half and then the turnovers and missed free throws will start.  Pretty regular script for road games these days.  Better opponent will lead to bigger MOV.

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

That really is the difference between Kansas and everyone else.  They just don't lose those games.  Like ever.

You have to hold serve and win on the road against inferior opponents, which is what KU does consistently. It's a culture thing.

What amazes me about Kansas and Self is that they got absolutely boat-raced by TCU at home last month, 83-60. TCU looked a million times more talented and athletic than Kansas that day. And the entire conference schedule is just a ball buster, so you'd expect things to not be exactly in KU's favor in FW last night. And TCU manages to score 58 points at home and gets out-rebounded, with Miles and Lampkin back, a game after scoring 100 on OSU. Keep in mind, that this is also after KU comes back in a huge way against Baylor just two days earlier. 

I doubt we would see anyone else in the league do this...but Self shows again why he's the best coach in college hoops.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

You could meet us in KC.

You can rest your starters in the second half to help your run. If these had been decently close games I'd be okay but three straight blowouts. We've always struggled to make shots but after leading the league in a bunch of defensive categories for most of the season, now all it takes is a few passes to get wide open. We are fundamentally broken. Nobody recovers this late in the season from this level of shit.

Edited by 'stache

4 minutes ago, 'stache said:

You can rest your starters in the second half to help your run. If these had been decently close games I'd be okay but three straight blowouts. We've always struggled to make shots but after leading the league in a bunch of defensive categories for most of the season, now all it takes is a few passes to get wide open. We are fundamentally broken. Nobody recovers this late in the season from this level of shit.

Yeah, it appears that your peak was in Ames a few weeks ago. Not going int he right direction, obviously. Would help everyone out a lot if yall can get it right for the Baylor game in Stillwater next week...

14 minutes ago, JWinTX said:

What amazes me about Kansas and Self is that they got absolutely boat-raced by TCU at home last month, 83-60. TCU looked a million times more talented and athletic than Kansas that day. And the entire conference schedule is just a ball buster, so you'd expect things to not be exactly in KU's favor in FW last night. And TCU manages to score 58 points at home and gets out-rebounded, with Miles and Lampkin back, a game after scoring 100 on OSU. Keep in mind, that this is also after KU comes back in a huge way against Baylor just two days earlier. 

I doubt we would see anyone else in the league do this...but Self shows again why he's the best coach in college hoops.

After the first half, Self told the ESPN reporter that he mentioned that loss in Lawrence constantly.  Self didn't spare feelings about how shitty they were that game and they wanted revenge.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Js1 said:

After the first half, Self told the ESPN reporter that he mentioned that loss in Lawrence constantly.  Self didn't spare feelings about how shitty they were that game and they wanted revenge.

Truth--but that talent difference that was obvious in Lawrence in January was basically squashed completely last night. TCU looked way too tight and almost as if the lights at home were just too bright.

8 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Boynton has a 3-1 record vs Otzelberger.  You guys definitely have gone off the rails here, but there's something in that.