Texas vs. tcu - 6:30pm on ABC

Pancho

Sark went all brakes, no gas today

-Punting on 4th and 2 just before the half, while being shut out

-Going for crazy 4th and 12 when could have taken 3

-Not even trying Hudson, when Ewers obviously was having a bad night

That's why we lost - this one's on the coach IMO

Also critical missed/ignored holding calls on the first TCU TD drive gave just the enough lift Big Xii bestows upon it's minions against us 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, VaLonghorn99 said:

-Punting on 4th and 2 just before the half, while being shut out

That was 100% the right decision. Giving TCU the ball with a minute left in that situation?

If we had been running the ball well that is one thing but come on. Going for it there would have been almost as idiotically reckless as that blocked punt attempt down 10-3.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

When your QB is erratic there will be drops. Not going to fault a guy for not catching a ball thrown at his knees nor do I care about a drop that would have gained 1 yd and ran 30 seconds off the clock at the end of a half. Billingsley drop was bad but again that would have been a catch for about 2 yards. The QB is a bigger issue.

There were drops in the 1Q to the 4Q. In this game the Qb hit a WR in the endzone that wasn’t looking for the ball. The recievers were terrible. I cant think a single player on offense that played well or didn’t have a mistake. No need to make BS excuses, the entire offense was just bad, that includes Sark

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Dignan said:

I’ll say again. Sark isn’t the man. Guess we will have to wait a year or two more, but we all know. 

Yeah with manning coming that saves his job for another few years you'll just have to fire him then unless the Manning family saves Arch from this ridiculously bad coach

• Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

There were drops in the 1Q to the 4Q. In this game the Qb hit a WR in the endzone that wasn’t looking for the ball. The recievers were terrible. I cant think a single player on offense that played well or didn’t have a mistake. No need to make BS excuses, the entire offense was just bad 

The entire offense starts with the QB, and Whittington wasn’t looking for the ball because Ewers through a fast ball before he even came out of his break, ball was already on him by the time it was time for him to look for it. No need to excuse how bad Ewers was by saying the entire offense was bad, they are better if he plays better.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

He is mentally weak.  His don't give a shit attitude is just that.  He isn't calm in the line of fire.  He doesn't care that much as long as he gets to start and is getting money.

He didn’t have the body language of someone who didn’t care. Frustrated, sulking, overwhelmed, sure, but not apathetic. Effort is a go to critique but I really would not question this team’s effort this year, outside of some isolated spots. They look like they’re trying, but don’t necessarily know what they’re doing.

Hopefully he can make strides this offseason in the same way Card did. Because unless Ewers elevated his game significantly, this team will be worse than it is now without Bijan, RoJo, and several important pieces on defense.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just now, SarkAfterDark said:

The entire offense starts with the QB, and Whittington wasn’t looking for the ball because Ewers through a fast ball before he even came out of his break, ball was already on him by the time it was time for him to look for it. No need to excuse how bad Ewers was by saying the entire offense was bad, they are better if he plays better.

That is straight BS. He was in the endzone and open and he is the primary receiver. That was the single worst play I have seen from a Longhorn this year. It one thing to make a physical error, but the primary Wr not looking for the ball is next level stupid. That was his second mistake of the game. The first was the 7 yard route in 3rd and 8. Your first sentence is also wrong. The offense starts with the OL and they got embarrassed today 

Just now, Codaxx said:

That is straight BS. He was in the endzone and open and he is the primary receiver. That was the single worst play I have seen from a Longhorn this year. It one thing to make a physical error, but the primary Wr not looking for the ball is next level stupid. That was his second mistake of the game. The first was the 7 yard route in 3rd and 8. Your first sentence is also wrong. The offense starts with the OL and they got embarrassed today 

Part of that route is not looking for the ball until you come out of your break. If he is looking the whole way then the DB can break on the ball. He is selling that he could be running a route that breaks outside by looking that way which is part of the fake. The play is designed that way, Ewers threw the ball entirely too early. If he waits a second that is likely a completed pass for a TD. It’s ok if you don’t get it but that is the nuance to that route. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, SarkAfterDark said:

Part of that route is not looking for the ball until you come out of your break. If he is looking the whole way then the DB can break on the ball. He is selling that he could be running a route that breaks outside by looking that way which is part of the fake. The play is designed that way, Ewers threw the ball entirely too early. If he waits a second that is likely a completed pass for a TD. It’s ok if you don’t get it but that is the nuance to that route. 

He was out of his break. You are reaching 

the TCU defense had the perfect net, no open spaces to run for the RBs or WRs to find a spot.  When were the WRs really open? I'd say only about 3/50 times. That explains why Sark went for the deep ball so much in Q1 because absolutely nothing was available in the first 15-20 yards from the LOS.  It's interesting how other teams figured this out and scored on them but not the Texas staff who were baffled for 3 hours.   Too many drops , about 5, as well. 

10 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

Rewatch the play again, the ball was on him as soon as he came out of his break. 

Then we both agree, he was out of his break. At least that is settled

3 minutes ago, SportsCEO said:

I watched this game and truly the TX defense did what they needed to do. Ewers is average. He is not an accurate passer and that was a big difference. TCU didn’t have have a great offensive game but Miller proved he is every bit (or better) than Bijan. 

Biggest difference in the game. TCU ran for 6 yards a carry on the second half and Texas ran for -0.5

46 minutes ago, austintiger said:

Do you ride the short bus to school? I only ask because you said sark isn't the problem. Let me let you in on a little secret part of coaching is teaching the players and putting them in the best position to win. 

There were receivers running wide open and for some reason Ewers insisted on throwing to guys who were double and  triple covered.  That’s Sark’s fault?  You are the dumbass.  There were opportunities but the players didn’t perform.  If you can’t see that that you are a fucking idiot. 

• Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, SportsCEO said:

I watched this game and truly the TX defense did what they needed to do. Ewers is average. He is not an accurate passer and that was a big difference. TCU didn’t have have a great offensive game but Miller proved he is every bit (or better) than Bijan. 

Not sure where you get this from. Outside of one busted run due to our LB making a terrible read he looked like shit. Bijan also looked like shit though so I guess overall your point remains.

• Hook 'Em 2

28 minutes ago, austintiger said:

Yeah with manning coming that saves his job for another few years you'll just have to fire him then unless the Manning family saves Arch from this ridiculously bad coach

You should post less.  The only thing worse than watching Ewers piss this game away is reading you stupid ass posts.  

• Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Not sure where you get this from. Outside of one busted run due to our LB making a terrible read he looked like shit. Bijan also looked like shit though so I guess overall your point remains.

Not a negative on Bijan who is an elite RB. I think so is Miller who gets much less attention. This game was not what I thought it would be. The TX D line was hugely impressive tonight. They did control the TCU O Line. This game could have gone either way at any point. 

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

Yeah. Especially if Ewers is going to underthrow him.

But Worthy is never really open. It always seems like only a perfect dime dropped in there would result in a completion and that is a lot to ask of any QB.

Worthy is wide open half the time.  Not as much tonight, but Worthy would be a candidate for Heisman if he were playing with Bryce Young.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Spider2YBanana said:

This, too. We don't even try a 3rd wr on our roster even though Worthy is constantly double and triple teamed. We go to Whitt and Sanders and it works, then Ewers goes back to Worthy over and over again. Sark makes Dumbo-type decisions regarding play calling. Savant he is not. He's been gifted 2 HC's that are winners and he was able to use the talent they recruited to pad his resumé. This madness has to stop, right? This guy ALLOWED Coleman to recruit just one WR in the last class. That's beyond fucking stupid. 

At least our defensive recruits got to see PK call a good game, albeit against a very overrated offensive team. But you can only play who's on your schedule, and he did a great job, and I actually hate the man. 

We do have 3 good receivers.  Quinn just refuses to throw to Sanders (or Sark won't have him in the progression).

13 minutes ago, SportsCEO said:

Not a negative on Bijan who is an elite RB. I think so is Miller who gets much less attention. This game was not what I thought it would be. The TX D line was hugely impressive tonight. They did control the TCU O Line. This game could have gone either way at any point. 

IF we had a decent QB and a decent coach tonight.  But we didn't.

• Rage+1 1

53 minutes ago, stork642 said:

There were receivers running wide open and for some reason Ewers insisted on throwing to guys who were double and  triple covered.  That’s Sark’s fault?  You are the dumbass.  There were opportunities but the players didn’t perform.  If you can’t see that that you are a fucking idiot. 

Yes that is Sark’s fault. He has to coach those mistakes out of him or find someone else who won’t make that mistake. 

54 minutes ago, ATXhorn17 said:

Anyone who thinks Ewers is average is a fucking idiot. He’s a freshman. If Texas is patient (we won’t be), he’ll be a stud by the time he’s an upperclassman. 

He has been in a college system for almost two full seasons now, so he’s not a true freshman.   Johnny crackhead won the heisman as redshirt freshman year.   If you look at Ewers work as a whole, especially the last three games it’s below average actually.  He has skills yes but for sure stud not close.  His footwork is way below average of a good college qb, his field sight is below average right now, his accuracy is below average, his deep ball is below average, everything is below average for a average at best with a few good quarters of play if you look at him as Joe smoe off the street and not the best rated recruit in a long time you would probably be thinking differently for sure.  Can he be good or great sure.   But he definitely should be better at the point he is at then he is.   Historically bad numbers wise is not a good sign of the future. 

Fixable things like the atrocious footwork Ewers has will help him become more accurate, better passer. But I’ve never been one to buy into this notion that a QB who has an even demeanor is a positive trait to have. I want a QB to feel pissed off, remorseful even, when they fuck up. If anything it shows me they care. As it stands now, I don’t know if Ewers loves playing football and that’s not fixable.