5 killed 18 injured in colorado springs gay nightclub shooting

52-80

4 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Feinstein and Sheila Jackson Lee, who’ve pushed for extreme reform many, many times, disagree with this statement. 

And how much traction did they get, even within their own party? People like guns, even democrats.

2 minutes ago, Foosters said:

So because some on the left hold that position, the right must reflexively resist all proposals out of spite?

Slippery slope!

• Hook 'Em 1

So because some on the left hold that position, the right must reflexively resist all proposals out of spite?

Yep.

I appreciate handcruser not trolling, but I am still not hearing them proposing meaningful policy that is this compromise they are talking about. And ultimately it’s just words for them because they keep electing politicians that will not compromise because some lib said they would take their guns away. And everyone knows that isn’t happening.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

There have been numerous proposals in the many threads we have on this site posted by people active in the "gun culture" about the issue. Almost all of them have been been shouted down as not restrictive enough by the other side. All the while saying that the gun lobby refuses to compromise while stupidly ignoring the fact that most of the stuff they are asking for were in fact compromises that were made in order to get the laws they want passed in the first place.

28 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

It worked pretty well to suppress black people during the Civil Rights movement, so you've got that going for you.

Imagine having the temerity to make these posts back to back. The first is a lie (and really not relevant to actual policy) and the second is fucking disgusting and disingenuous. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4
  • Fuck You 1

Boo.  Boo to all of you that are moving the goal posts.   It went from the fuck Evangelicals because those evil bastards did this and caused this because that fit my narrative.  Now that it may not be the case it's.  Well fuck you.  This is about gun control all along.  That's bullshit.  You're spreading as much hatred as those dumbass Evangelicals by casting a group before shit is even known.  If a bike gets stolen in your neighborhood do you say oh it must have been those black kids because you know.  Black people steal.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 6

Boo.  Boo to all of you that are moving the goal posts.   It went from the fuck Evangelicals because those evil bastards did this and caused this because that fit my narrative.  Now that it may not be the case it's.  Well fuck you.  This is about gun control all along.  That's bullshit.  You're spreading as much hatred as those dumbass Evangelicals by casting a group before shit is even known.  If a bike gets stolen in your neighborhood do you say oh it must have been those black kids because you know.  Black people steal.  

What in the shit are you talking about? There are multiple issues here. Gun control, hate groups/hate speech, American culture of violence.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

Hate spread by Evangelicals against gays and others is absolutely a problem. And it absolutely leads to violence. Whether this specific event can be traced to it is really not particularly relevant. Also, even if the shooter here turns out to be a member of that community, it doesn't preclude hateful speech from contributing to this event. Self-hate exists, in part, precisely because of the outspoken, bigoted statements from others. And that self-hate can lead to violence as much, if not more so, than other forms of hate. 

Guns are also a problem. Both things can be true. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Imagine having the temerity to make these posts back to back. The first is a lie (and really not relevant to actual policy) and the second is fucking disgusting and disingenuous. 

I have personally made many such proposals here. I'm know many others have as well because I pay attention to those sorts of things. So not a lie. As to the second, if i was a betting man I would bet I could find a post of yours about how Reagan passed gun control because he was scared of the Black Panthers when he was governor of California and how the modern Republicans would freak out if they saw armed black people (more power to them!) during the recent protests we've had. When you find yourself advocating for policies that will adversely affect the ability of minority populations to exercise their civil rights in order to effect your progressive view of how society should be, you are no longer someone who has a liberal view of how society should be. You simply think that rights can be turned on or off in order to mold society into how you think it should be. Not unlike the very people you oppose.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

Would you please find me the post prematurely claiming that the shooter is likely a religious extremist? Js1 made a joke about closeted evangelicals in Colorado Springs, Newdoc freaked out, and others defended Js1's right to make such a joke given their expansive history of hate towards his community. Plus, I just like saying fuck evangelicals. You're making shit up.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

When you find yourself advocating for policies that will adversely affect the ability of minority populations to exercise their civil rights in order to effect your progressive view of how society should be, you are no longer someone who has a liberal view of how society should be. You simply think that rights can be turned on or off in order to mold society into how you think it should be. Not unlike the very people you oppose.

I never knew that obtaining a driver's license was so racially charged. Thank you for enlightening me.

On 11/20/2022 at 11:11 AM, aggie08 said:

Yeah, how dare he vent his anger by lashing out at the group inarguably most responsible (evangelical types, not Christains as a whole) for spreading anti-gay messaging. You've really got your finger on the pulse of this one.

Yeah man.  Making shit up.  You framed it just like the Washington Post story.  Yeah I mean I'm not saying it was the religious right who did it but those fucking Evangelicals sure hate gays.   Washington Post story had no qualms about pointing out his mother's affiliation with the LDS or that his grandfather was a Republican.  Evangelicals are fucking assholes but automatically blaming them for everything just fans the flame of hatred.  That's that sensationalism of gotta be the first one with the scoop that is part of the problem today.  Go balls out with your narrative.  If it is wrong print a retraction in the middle.

• Hook 'Em 3

19 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I have personally made many such proposals here. I'm know many others have as well because I pay attention to those sorts of things. So not a lie.

I have no doubt the proposals have been made. That isn't the lie. The lie is saying that all reasonable proposals are entirely rejected as not enough. Some people may say that. But, in the threads I've seen, reasonable proposals are largely accepted. The problem of course is that they will not get passed (or, if they get passed, they get challenged by extreme 2nd amendment groups like we've already seen). The lie is arguing that no negotiation is possible with gun safety reform advocates, despite there being countless laws passed in communities around the country that are a result of that process and are not of the "take away all guns" variety, and despite there being countless reasonable bills proposed (again, not of the ban guns variety) that cannot pass due to obstruction from one group. 

As to the second, if i was a betting man I would bet I could find a post of yours about how Reagan passed gun control because he was scared of the Black Panthers when he was governor of California and how the modern Republicans would freak out if they saw armed black people (more power to them!) during the recent protests we've had.

You make very strange and very poor bets. 

When you find yourself advocating for policies that will adversely affect the ability of minority populations to exercise their civil rights in order to effect your progressive view of how society should be, you are no longer someone who has a liberal view of how society should be. You simply think that rights can be turned on or off in order to mold society into how you think it should be. Not unlike the very people you oppose.

All rights are subject to reasonable regulation. Guns are no different. Or, at least they shouldn't be. The slippery slope here is suggesting that any form of restriction is necessarily akin to unjust restrictions (e.g., jim crow laws). 

Edited by Dahobbs

5 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

Yeah man.  Making shit up.  You framed it just like the Washington Post story.  Yeah I mean I'm not saying it was the religious right who did it but those fucking Evangelicals sure hate gays.   Washington Post story had no qualms about pointing out his mother's affiliation with the LDS or that his grandfather was a Republican.  Evangelicals are fucking assholes but automatically blaming them for everything just fans the flame of hatred.  That's that sensationalism of gotta be the first one with the scoop that is part of the problem today.  Go balls out with your narrative.  If it is wrong print a retraction in the middle.

Blaming hate speech for spreading hate is precisely what should be done. But sure, blaming all Evangelicals for the actions of a significant and outspoken portion of them (and their leadership) is somewhat unfair. So, let's be clear in our criticism: Evangelicals that spread hate are bad and incite violence like this. Better? 

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, Cornpop said:

How's that?

2A supporters would need to become ok with a central authority being able to rule that some members of society (like Aldrich and Ramos) are not fit for gun ownership prior to commission of a crime with guns.  Then giving that central authority the ability to identify these people and tools to limit their ability to legally acquire guns.  Licensing and thorough background vetting of first time/young gun purchasers.  Enactment and, just as importantly, embracement and enforcement of red flag laws.  A national database of who is thus barred from owning guns tied into all points of sale for guns.  Also, a clear path for someone to demonstrate they should be removed from the national database.  Essentially, a vetting process not unlike what it requires to be licensed to drive a motor vehicle.

Gun control advocates would need to concede that there will be no limits on guns otherwise.  Magazine limits, "assault rifle" bans, etc... are off the table and verboten.  There will be guns in our society as there always has been, and lawful and responsible gun owners will not have their right to ownership limited.  The scope of "gun control" begins and ends with keeping them out of the hands of people who have demonstrated themselves to be incapable of responsible gun ownership.  Essentially, limiting the scope of government control of guns to be no more than the scope of governmental control over the operation of a motor vehicle.

Even though that would have kept Uvalde and Club Q from happening while allowing you and people like you to own and enjoy every gun you ever have owned or might want to own, I am sure you will find all sorts of problems with paragraph 1.  I am sure others who are ready for all guns to be melted down into slag will find all sorts of problems with paragraph 2.

I doubt any from either side will ever budge from their entrenched positions.  As such, we'll be stuck in this political standoff as people keep getting murdered by the armed and mentally disturbed.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

RE: Gun Control measures

I’m channeling Malcolm Gladwell here, but maybe we ditch the “slippery slope” analogy and think of it as a staircase with sticky steps.  Let’s take one step down, stick there for a bit while we assess how things are going, and then decide if we need to take another step.  

If you have termites, the choices aren’t limited to “ignore it” or “burn the house down.”    There are plenty of intermediate steps that just might solve that particular problem.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

It is absolutely precious that so many of you think this is about guns, human life, religion, sexuality, or even the Bill of Rights.  

It's about money.  

We convinced people that the best and most patriotic way to demonstrate your freedoms is through the legal purchase of a firearm.  Our nation owns 400 million weapons.  Meaning the average gun owner has more more than one.  The debate was cleverly designed to ensure despite only needing one firearm at a time for hunting/self defense, we could convince people to purchase several as a "planting of the flag of liberty."  It is simply a money-making device.  You pay out the nose for weapons you don't need to drive up my stock price.  Never mind what we make on ammunition and range fees.  Tomorrow, you will go around the table and talk about how frightened you are about crime in the United States.  And over the weekend, you'll buy another handgun or long gun to assuage your paranoia.  This entire mechanism has been set into motion to ensure that you spend money you don't have to buy weapons you don't need to make people like me more money.  Nobody cares about your rights or your freedoms, we only care about your wallet.  And you'll hand it over ever fucking time, so long as you stay convinced it's a matter of Liberty.  It's embarrassing how easy this is.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

RE: Gun Control measures

I’m channeling Malcolm Gladwell here, but maybe we ditch the “slippery slope” analogy and think of it as a staircase with sticky steps.  Let’s take one step down, stick there for a bit while we assess how things are going, and then decide if we need to take another step.  

If you have termites, the choices aren’t limited to “ignore it” or “burn the house down.”    There are plenty of intermediate steps that just might solve that particular problem.  

Well said.

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

How about making getting a gun as difficult to get as it if for a 16 year old to legally drive on a public road?

In-person gun competency evaluation, safety exam, proof of safe storage, registration, more stringent tests for different 'levels' of firearms

Would barely be a speed bump for responsible gun owners with a respect for firearms.

But it would absolutely weed out the 18 year old who gets teased for a speech impediment, and the mush that is an 18 year-old's brain tells him to go out in a blaze of glory.

I'd also add having to carry liability insurance on each weapon. 

Finally, treat gun sellers like bars here in Texas. You fuck up and sell one used in a crime, well you're fucked.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

Would you please find me the post prematurely claiming that the shooter is likely a religious extremist? Js1 made a joke about closeted evangelicals in Colorado Springs, Newdoc freaked out, and others defended Js1's right to make such a joke given their expansive history of hate towards his community. Plus, I just like saying fuck evangelicals. You're making shit up.

The same people who defend Dave Chapelle apparently think my joke was the worst thing ever said in the world of comedy. And it’s not even an original joke, since the Catholic Church has such a monopoly on closeted homosexuals fucking little boys while preaching about the sins of homosexuality.  Evangelicals are pretty jealous of that, I’m sure. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dahobbs said:

All rights are subject to reasonable regulation. Guns are no different. Or, at least they shouldn't be.

Are you suggesting firearms aren’t regulated?  I mean, you have to be old enough to vote or go die in a foreign land for your country to purchase a .22 or .410.  You have to pay several hundred dollars and let the ATF elbow deep into your asshole to purchase items designed to protect your hearing while shooting.  Seems pretty regulated. 

Edited by fattyflattie
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, FartingMonk said:

You don't make a pizza with just a crust. There's lots of other things that have to come together.

• Hook 'Em 1

Are you suggesting firearms aren’t regulated?  I mean, you have to be old enough to vote or go die in a foreign land for your country to purchase a .22 or .410.  You have to pay several hundred dollars and let the ATF elbow deep into your asshole to purchase items designed to protect your hearing while shooting.  Seems pretty regulated. 

Are you saying they are regulated enough? If so, how do the citizens and politicians of this country slow the mass shootings down?

2 hours ago, FartingMonk said:

I came here for the back tracking too lol. Narrative changed quickly once they realized the evil right wing red necks weren’t at fault   They really just need to make guns illegal so no one will own them 

Edited by Sgt Hulk
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Are you saying they are regulated enough? If so, how do the citizens and politicians of this country slow the mass shootings down?

My suggestion is because most of these guys are incels and are attention seekers.  They read about how mass shooters get fan mail and marriage proposals from this sick fetish is to string those mother fuckers up and just humiliate the shit out of them.  Do a captured Mussolini and just fucking make the next guy think he's going down as some badass get this utter treatment and it may change the mass shooters mentality 

• Hook 'Em 1

You should read @Brian Fantana s homophobic post from 11/20.

What a disgusting excuse for a human.

It was also like by 26 people who are all equally disgusting.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

34 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I never said no regulations exist. I said reasonable regulations are allowed against push back comparing fairly limited gun regulations to Jim Crow laws. The extent of existing regulations varies significantly by jurisdiction. However, many existing regulations are being challenged or rolled back by gun advocates seeking to remove any impediment to the purchase of firearms. 

2 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

I came here for the back tracking too lol. Narrative changed quickly once they realized the evil right wing red necks weren’t at fault   They really just need to make guns illegal so no one will own them 

It is so very sad that this is your takeaway from this event and this discussion. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

Great week, America.  So many mass shootings, i don’t even know what each fucking meme refers to.  

keep buying guns.  Keep buying ammo.  It is your highest calling as a patriot.  I need to cash out some firearms stock options before the year is out.  Your freedoms buy me cash.  Feed the machine. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, txhorns said:

The solution to stopping mass shootings is to legalize prostitution.  The more people are fucking the less likely they are to shoot people.  Plus think of all the tax revenue that could be generated!

"If you can afford an AR, you can afford a handjob" is a pretty catchy slogan.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I think there are areas we are correctly regulated, some that are over regulated (suppressors and SBR holla) and areas that need much tightening.   There’s probably a million things we could do to “slow it down”, but the most effective will be some type of more restrictive gun control.  The balance thereof, is the issue. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I think there are areas we are correctly regulated, some that are over regulated (suppressors and SBR holla) and areas that need much tightening.   There’s probably a million things we could do to “slow it down”, but the most effective will be some type of more restrictive gun control.  The balance thereof, is the issue. 

Thanks.

What areas do you thing need “much tightening?”

18 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

I mean…guys like Tim Pool and that chick on Tucker last night may not be red necks, but they’re perpetuating falsehoods that motivate these assholes

image.thumb.png.84c4c355710ff630ff61ddcc9160ed96.png

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Thanks.

What areas do you thing need “much tightening?”

Things I would be not only ok with, but encourage (as someone who shoots sporting/hunts regularly), shoots and hunts regularly with my young children. This is not my entire list, but it’s a good start and all I can think of at the moment  

Proof of mandatory safe storage for purchase with legitimate consequences for failure to safely store. 

All transfers by FFL or govt (DMV type) 

Some type of simple training - think Hunter education classes. 

i don’t want to be the guy who says “doesn’t affect me, so I don’t care”, because I think that’s where a lot of the conversation is halted between sides. But it doesn’t affect me, and I don’t care about magazine capacity over ~12 (whatever a typical DS pistol holds) 

Binary triggers need to go yesterday.  They are useless and only (legit) fodder for people who want much heavier restrictions. 

I believe people should have the right to defend themselves. Whatever we do, we need to make the hurdles available to be crossed by the poor, working, etc.  Think how voting should be.   Don’t make a 45 hour class annually knowing itll deflect people from gun ownership.  It’s not going to deter the shithead murdering fucks, it won’t deter the people that is their main hobby, it’ll deter some lady from having a single gun in the house that she hopes to God she’ll never need to use.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Homercles said:

I mean…guys like Tim Pool and that chick on Tucker last night may not be red necks, but they’re perpetuating falsehoods that motivate these assholes

image.thumb.png.84c4c355710ff630ff61ddcc9160ed96.png

The hate against the gay community needs to stop.  Fuckheads like Tucker need to be taken off the air.  This particular cuck wasn't motivated by these assholes.  But the motivation is there.

And in no way shape or form am I trying to blame the LBGTQ community but I have a transgender friend and she's a 120 lb Vietnamese girl and she's always like I bang all these "straight" dudes and they love it.  I tell her find the wrong one and doesn't realize you got a dick and he might beat the absolute dog shit out of you.  I have another gay friend who is a tatted good looking black guy and he's like oh honey.  I can turn anyone.  I just keep saying y'all are playing with fire.  People are fucking crazy 

Things I would be not only ok with, but encourage (as someone who shoots sporting/hunts regularly), shoots and hunts regularly with my young children. This is not my entire list, but it’s a good start and all I can think of at the moment  
Proof of mandatory safe storage for purchase with legitimate consequences for failure to safely store. 

i don’t want to be the guy who says “doesn’t affect me, so I don’t care”, because I think that’s where a lot of the conversation is halted between sides. But it doesn’t affect me, and I don’t care about magazine capacity over ~12 (whatever a typical DS pistol holds) 
Binary triggers need to go yesterday.  They are useless and only (legit) fodder for people who want much heavier restrictions. 

I believe people should have the right to defend themselves. Whatever we do, we need to make the hurdles available to be crossed by the poor, working, etc.  Think how voting should be.   Don’t make a 45 hour class annually knowing itll deflect people from gun ownership.  It’s not going to deter the shithead murdering fucks, it won’t deter the people that is their main hobby, it’ll deter some lady from having a single gun in the house that she hopes to God she’ll never need to use.  

You don’t think certain guns should have striver age restrictions? What about longer wait times?

Blaming hate speech for spreading hate is precisely what should be done. But sure, blaming all Evangelicals for the actions of a significant and outspoken portion of them (and their leadership) is somewhat unfair. So, let's be clear in our criticism: Evangelicals that spread hate are bad and incite violence like this. Better? 

Religion of peace and all, am I right?
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1
  • Rage+1 1

8 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

This is a great post.

...now would the people that you typically vote for back any of these?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2