Formula 1 2023

Anton Chigurh

6 hours ago, kevwun said:

The rest of the pack closed the gap a little, so they let it loose a little more.  Like one of the other drivers said earlier in the season, we have no idea how fast the Red Bull actually is.

Yep. A story as old as F1.  When you have the car advantage, you only go as fast as you need to go.

1 hour ago, wood said:

Yep. A story as old as F1.  When you have the car advantage, you only go as fast as you need to go.

I'm not sure I buy that with Checo's struggles. He passes the midfield easy enough when he starts from the back, but he's not routinely catching the frontrunners. His livelihood depends on getting podiums, and he's missed 5 of 11 of them. If there was more in the car, he would use it. The Red Bull is obviously the fastest car, but I don't think it's by a landslide (maybe just a decent mudslide). I just think Max is really, really fucking good.

9 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I'm not sure I buy that with Checo's struggles. He passes the midfield easy enough when he starts from the back, but he's not routinely catching the frontrunners. His livelihood depends on getting podiums, and he's missed 5 of 11 of them. If there was more in the car, he would use it. The Red Bull is obviously the fastest car, but I don't think it's by a landslide (maybe just a decent mudslide). I just think Max is really, really fucking good.

Yeah I was referring to Max, not Checo. Checo is doing all he can do imho. I think he's just not able to get out of the car what Max is able to get out of the car, and knows it, so he overdrives, leading to mistakes. I've heard/read from multiple drivers that one of the most difficult things about F1 compared to other series is actually getting your head around the incredible capabilities of a top car and training your brain to actually push even harder on the car when you think there's just no way it can do what you're asking of it. Apparently step 1 is just getting your brain to accept that the car will do it without killing you, and step 2 is making that happen in a clean way for a good lap time. I've seen enough of both of these guys to have zero problem accepting that Max could be almost a second quicker than Checo on a drying, quickly-improving track.  That also applies to some other driver combos out there.

What was the stat from last year where max led for 40+ laps and the delta per lap was less than half a second per? There was a graphic of it. Point is, he’s a fucking consistency machine which certainly helps preserve your rubber.

• Like 1

Dumb question amnesty. I’ve never been to a race. How do the pits work when there are multiple classifications racing on the same weekend. For example, today there is a F2 sprint race sandwiched between F1 sprint qualifying  and sprint race. Do the F1 teams have to totally clear out the pit area then bring everything back?  Are there multiple pit areas?  

49 minutes ago, kevwun said:

They’ve had issues with the gearbox all year.  It’s the main thing he’s complained about.

Wasn't this their primary issue even last year? I feel like Max complained about how it shifted even during his battle with Lewis two years ago. Everything seems to be top notch on that car except the gearbox. 

22 hours ago, deft said:

Adrian Newey black magic you mean

i wanted to be adrian newey in high school.  should have stuck with aerospace engineering.

there's no way you can run spa this wet.  raidillon is dangerous enough in the dry. 

2 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Dumb question amnesty. I’ve never been to a race. How do the pits work when there are multiple classifications racing on the same weekend. For example, today there is a F2 sprint race sandwiched between F1 sprint qualifying  and sprint race. Do the F1 teams have to totally clear out the pit area then bring everything back?  Are there multiple pit areas?  

F1 uses the main pits.  at a place like spa where there's a lot more pits on the other side i imagine the jr. formulas are in those.  in other places like COTA F1 is in the main pit building and the other classes have a tent city elsewhere. 

• Hook 'Em 1