the 2023 speaker of the house voting thread of implosion

henrygandorf

3 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Then why do you keep saying Republican voters aren't necessarily MAGA?  They are voting for MAGA policies (whatever that means these days - it's all fucking lunacy).  They are excusing Jan 6 as no big deal.  They are saying they want a Trump dictatorship if they pull the lever for him one more time.  If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck it doesn't matter if they say they aren't MAGA.  They are.

You know what, I don't give a flying fuck if you don't agree with me.  You are incapable of understanding that a person can weigh one issue more than the sum of all other issues.  That's on you.  

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

You know what, I don't give a flying fuck if you don't agree with me.  You are incapable of understanding that a person can weigh one issue more than the sum of all other issues.  That's on you.  

You are the one saying these people are smart and understand that their vote means they support the candidates' platforms.  So their vote supports MAGA and they know it does, but they somehow still aren't MAGA folks?  Not sure how you get form A to B on those mental gymnastics.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Chewbacca said:

You are the one saying these people are smart and understand that their vote means they support the candidates' platforms.  So their vote supports MAGA and they know it does, but they somehow still aren't MAGA folks?  Not sure how you get form A to B on those mental gymnastics.

Holy shit.  I'm out.

9 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Much like a Japanese subway arrival, the ability for Gil Bang to show up and post news and tweets that were posted two hours ago without reading the thread has a 100% success rate. 

You seem to forget that he's posting from Pacific time zone

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

To be fair, he is on west coast time.

I'm sorry, tweets arrive two hours later in California and also force people to immediately jump to the end of the thread and post old news without being allowed to read the entire thread? Tell me how that works, exactly, becuase I didn't realize The Internet was tape delayed in certain areas. 

5 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Dude, I'm seriously trying to understand your point here.  

I think what he's trying to get across is that there are a number on non-batshit crazy Republicans in the House and Senate that if King Dipshit was out of the picture would be more amenable to reaching across the aisle in certain situations to govern honestly the way things worked (somewhat) in the past. For whatever reason, they feel they to have to continue to worship at the altar of MAGA to avoid losing their seat or worse. Call them spineless cowards if you want because it wouldn't take much to completely disassociate the Republican party from Trump/MAGA/Freedom Caucus. Nobody wants to be first -- or risk losing power if we really got to a three-party system where the GOP is splintered in two parts each smaller than the Democrats. Honestly, I'd like to see both parties splinter into several pieces. The more the merrier because this two-party shit fucking sucks.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

the vast majority of people are "low information" voters who only vote for their tribe and that support is based on only a few issues and for some only one. they don't fully understand the consequences of their decisions only that they are getting what they want. 

think how misinformed the "average voter" is and remember that half of them are less informed than that.

Now consider the GOP is full of supporters that are of the less-informed type. There you go.

• Hook 'Em 5

9 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

One last time:  for a small subset of Republicans, a single issue (typically abortion) is more important than the sum of all other issues, regardless of how repugnant they find those other perspectives.  This doesn't make them "MAGA".  If you can't understand this, then I don't know what to say.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

One last time:  for a small subset of Republicans, a single issue (typically abortion) is more important than the sum of all other issues, regardless of how repugnant they find those other perspectives.  This doesn't make them "MAGA".  If you can't understand this, then I don't know what to say.

FrighteningSpectacularAfricangroundhornb

(I thought y'all were talking about legislators. Oops.)

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I understand what you're trying to say. I just vehemently disagree with it. If they find something repugnant and support it anyway becuase of a single issue, that's fucking worse than a 19 IQ dipshit who walks in a voting booth, pulls R, and leaves screaming "FUCK THE LIBS." That knowingly doing something bad. Maybe they're not MAGA. Maybe they're something worse. 

5 minutes ago, C-Man said:

@Biff Tannen gets it. /fistbump

Ok, well then fuck you california living fucks. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm sorry, tweets arrive two hours later in California and also force people to immediately jump to the end of the thread and post old news without being allowed to read the entire thread? Tell me how that works, exactly, becuase I didn't realize The Internet was tape delayed in certain areas. 

do you have aspergers?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I understand what you're trying to say. I just vehemently disagree with it. If they find something repugnant and support it anyway becuase of a single issue, that's fucking worse than a 19 IQ dipshit who walks in a voting booth, pulls R, and leaves screaming "FUCK THE LIBS." That knowingly doing something bad. Maybe they're not MAGA. Maybe they're something worse. 

Ok, well then fuck you california living fucks. 

I haven't successfully executed my escape from Texas ... yet.

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

You can disagree with it.  You can find it repugnant.  That doesn't refute the idea that this angle exists, which is all I have been saying all along.

17 minutes ago, The Dog said:

the vast majority of people are "low information" voters who only vote for their tribe and that support is based on only a few issues and for some only one. they don't fully understand the consequences of their decisions only that they are getting what they want. 

think how misinformed the "average voter" is and remember that half of them are less informed than that.

Now consider the GOP is full of supporters that are of the less-informed type. There you go.

I agree, but he specifically said he believes many of them do understand the consequences of their actions, and they still vote R.  Yet he doesn't think they are MAGA?  That's why I'm confused

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Oh they’ve figured it out. These MAGATs don’t want to govern. They want to bloviate on camera, obstruct as the minority and fundraise off Dem majorities bc it sells more outrage

Being in charge means you’re accountable and people won’t like your decisions 

Worth repeating - It's not in Republicans' interest to solve problems. It's in their interest to sustain problems (or even create them), act outraged at those problems, campaign on that outrage and ask for donations.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

But it does, because along with their single issue, they're voting for all the other bullshit.  If you can't understand this, I don't know what to say.

4 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I agree, but he specifically said he believes many of them do understand the consequences of their actions, and they still vote R.  Yet he doesn't think they are MAGA?  That's why I'm confused

OK, let's water this down for the folks who can't seem to grasp a really fucking simple point.  Let's say you think getting kicked in the balls is worse than having all of these things happen:

1. your wallet is stolen with $1K inside

2. your dog is run over by a dumptruck

3. your BWM that you were about to sell to a friend is totaled by hail (hey to @Bozo_Casanova)

so you choose the last 3 to avoid getting kicked in the balls.  Now, I personally would choose to get kicked in the balls, but I don't really use mine much any more.  Someone else might make a different decision.  Does that mean they endorse theft, caninocide, and hailfire from above?

• Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

OK, let's water this down for the folks who can't seem to grasp a really fucking simple point.  Let's say you think getting kicked in the balls is worse than having all of these things happen:

3. your BWM that you were about to sell to a friend is totaled by hail (hey to @Bozo_Casanova)

so you choose the last 3 to avoid getting kicked in the balls.  Now, I personally would choose to get kicked in the balls, but I don't really use mine much any more.  Someone else might make a different decision.  Does that mean they endorse theft, caninocide, and hailfire from above?

My problem with this analogy is that all of the choices you cited are outside of a persons control. 

Maybe if it were “set your wallet in fire, throw your dog in front of a dump truck, or total your bmw on purpose” to avoid getting kicked in the balls. Because of the other horrible shit happens based on your decision, and with your agency. 

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

My problem with this analogy is that all of the choices you cited are outside of a persons control. 

Maybe if it were “set your wallet in fire, throw your dog in front of a dump truck, or total your bmw on purpose” to avoid getting kicked in the balls. Because of the other horrible shit happens based on your decision, and with your agency. 

OK, you're smarter than this.  It's the choice between two sub-optimal outcomes.  The way those outcomes are weighed varies, even among well-intentioned people.  I'm not saying it's right.  I'm saying that single issue is THAT important to some people.

I'm not going to win this argument with any of you, but I sure as hell ain't backing down.  Let's move on.

11 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

They don't have to vote for any candidate, fwiw.  Not voting is also a choice.

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

OK, you're smarter than this.  It's the choice between two sub-optimal outcomes.  The way those outcomes are weighed varies, even among well-intentioned people.  I'm not saying it's right.  I'm saying that single issue is THAT important to some people.

I'm not going to win this argument with any of you, but I sure as hell ain't backing down.  Let's move on.

You seem to be saying that these voters should get to have it both ways - vote Republican but also distance themselves from all the MAGA bullshit that voting R entails.  I vehemently disagree with this notion.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

You seem to be saying that these voters should get to have it both ways - vote Republican but also distance themselves from all the MAGA bullshit that voting R entails.  I vehemently disagree with this notion.

No, I'm not saying that at all.  I am merely speaking about their motivations.  Of course they are "responsible" for the consequences of their vote, as is anyone who votes.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Chewbacca said:

They don't have to vote for any candidate, fwiw.  Not voting is also a choice.

But they only care about one issue. If there is one candidate that supports their issue and the other doesn't, they are going to vote for the candidate that supports the only issue they really care about. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I understand your position.  Don’t think you’re defending them. I think my and others position is that the mindset you’re describing is a MAGA mindset. To paraphrase Brisket you don’t get to vote for the nazi party and claim not to be a nazi. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Drool 1

27 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

What's confusing about it? TBH, from the sidelines, the only 2 confusing things are how you don't understand his point and why I bothered reading all of these posts. 

5 minutes ago, softlynow said:

What's confusing about it? TBH, from the sidelines, the only 2 confusing things are how you don't understand his point and why I bothered reading all of these posts. 

lulz

My bad for continuing to push the debate.  Back to laughing at Republican congresspeoples.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

This.  Just because someone is a "single issue" voter, doesn't mean they get to not be a magat.  If they vote for a magat candidate (read: any R), they are a magat.  Whether they want to be or not.  They made the choice.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

But it does because they are voting for MAGA. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Just be grateful he didn’t start a thread on it. 

• Haha 3