Joe Biden 2023: The Dark Brandon Rises

StassneyHorn

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Certainly not, if you don't see 49% of the population controlling 82% of the Senate as a problem.

You chuckle fucks control the senate currently. Don’t blame the constitution for your lack of political balls. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

36 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Control happens at 60. 51 is directing.

It doesn't matter.  The representation is completely skewed to people in small states, far more than the Founding Fathers could have anticipated.  Sound familiar?

• Hook 'Em 2

If one of you want to make a thread about migration post 2020 I’ll cum my shorts.

NC adding 212k when it had a 80k or so margin. A shit ton of conservatives moving to Idaho. Arizona solidifying itself with California influencer rejects and Only Fans sloots. California peeps into Montana. Alaska with ranked choice. Memphis drift into Mississippi. Collins retiring in Maine soon (speaking that into existence).

I’ve got a ton of jerkworthy material for the Senate.

On 7/1/2023 at 5:26 PM, Anastasis said:

Of the cloture requirements rather. I do think that old school filibuster should be allowed. Makes for good political theatre. 

And God knows that's exactly what we need more of. 

And how the fuck you gonna have a filibuster without cloture? The filibuster only exists bc the cloture requirement does. 

Edited by Hookah Horns

10 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

And God knows that's exactly what we need more of. 

And how the fuck you gonna have a filibuster without cloture? The filibuster only exists bc the cloture requirement does. 

Is that right? I think it’s backwards. Old school filibuster was a hallmark of the senate. Cloture was a relatively late administrative addition. 

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

Is that right? I think it’s backwards. Old school filibuster was a hallmark of the senate. Cloture was a relatively late administrative addition. 

HistoryEdit

On 8 March 1917, during World War I, a rule allowing cloture of debate was adopted by the Senate by a vote of 76–3[27] at the urging of President Woodrow Wilson,[28] after a group of 12 anti-war senators managed to kill a bill that would have allowed Wilson to arm merchant vessels in the face of unrestricted German submarine warfare.[29] This was successfully invoked for the first time on 15 November 1919,[30] during the 66th Congress, to end a filibuster on the Treaty of Versailles.[31]

6 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Yes. If there's no cloture rule requiring a super majority to end debate, the filibuster as we know it would be impossible. 

7 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

HistoryEdit

On 8 March 1917, during World War I, a rule allowing cloture of debate was adopted by the Senate by a vote of 76–3[27] at the urging of President Woodrow Wilson,[28] after a group of 12 anti-war senators managed to kill a bill that would have allowed Wilson to arm merchant vessels in the face of unrestricted German submarine warfare.[29] This was successfully invoked for the first time on 15 November 1919,[30] during the 66th Congress, to end a filibuster on the Treaty of Versailles.[31]

Are you saying you want the filibuster without any cloture at all? 

With Biden off at Camp David, the cat's away, so the mice will play. Looks like some of the interns had a 4th of July party: https://apnews.com/article/white-house-suspicious-substance-cocaine-bd7a792357a85453cf55b6c955ff1b4f

WASHINGTON (AP) — The White House was briefly evacuated Sunday evening while President Joe Biden was at Camp David after the Secret Service discovered suspicious powder in a common area of the West Wing, and a preliminary test showed the substance was cocaine, two law enforcement officials said Tuesday.

Secret Service agents were doing routine rounds on Sunday when they found the white powder in an area accessible to tour groups, not in any particular West Wing office, the officials said. The officials were not authorized to discuss an ongoing investigation and spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity.

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, CowboyFred said:

LoL of course maga Twitter is blaming the cocaine found in the White House on Hunter. It’s kinda weird how they’re so obsessed with a private citizen.

I actually came here to see if this was happening.  I'd almost be disappointed if it wasn't.  Such an easy joke to make.

d1a850e0-0fb5-40d5-a4d3-473a11246ef7_tex

Edited by Biff Tannen
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, CowboyFred said:

LoL of course maga Twitter is blaming the cocaine found in the White House on Hunter. It’s kinda weird how they’re so obsessed with a private citizen.

Probably Don Jr’s stash someone found 

• Hook 'Em 5

"Dung beetles spend hours rolling up balls of dung to attract females," he said. "But there are some very smart dung beetles that just sit by the side and watch while others do hard work. Then they shoot in, take the dung ball, take the girl and run away with everything. That's Joe Biden.”

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/07/05/biden-hydrogen-europe-00104024

The clean energy subsidies that undergird President Joe Biden's climate agenda have just prompted one Norwegian manufacturer to choose Michigan, not Europe, as the site of a nearly $500 million factory that will produce the equipment needed to extract hydrogen from water. And other European-based companies are being tempted to follow suit, people involved in the Continent's hydrogen efforts say — making the universe's most abundant substance the latest focus of the transatlantic trade battle on green energy.

We have a new nickname on this jobsgiving eve-eve

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/2/2023 at 11:26 PM, Anastasis said:

Talking filibusters are actually worse than the existing situation.  It prevents the senate from moving on to other business.  I won’t get into the weeds, but they eliminated the talking filibuster so the senate can do two things at once.  Rn, if McConnell objects, Schumer can lay the issue aside and take something else up.  If you have talking filibusters, the senate literally can not do anything u til the objection is resolved. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

Talking filibusters are actually worse than the existing situation.  It prevents the senate from moving on to other business.  I won’t get into the weeds, but they eliminated the talking filibuster so the senate can do two things at once.  Rn, if McConnell objects, Schumer can lay the issue aside and take something else up.  If you have talking filibusters, the senate literally can not do anything u til the objection is resolved. 

Most (or much) of the Senate's work is executed through unanimous consent, correct?  If the party in power reduced cloture to simple majority over the objection of the minority party, the minority party could grind the Senate to a halt by refusing unanimous consent resolutions and gumming up the gears?  Is that basically right?  

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Most (or much) of the Senate's work is executed through unanimous consent, correct?  If the party in power reduced cloture to simple majority over the objection of the minority party, the minority party could grind the Senate to a halt by refusing unanimous consent resolutions and gumming up the gears?  Is that basically right?  

Sorta.  The Senate needs unanimous consent to move the previous question. Without that, the majority leader must invoke cloture to end debate on the topic at hand. Failing that, they can table the question and move on to other business, and then bring it up later if they want, because technically the question remains unresolved. Without a cloture procedure, whatever the vote required, the Senate can not move on to the business at hand without unanimous consent. It’s Robert’s Rules on steroids.

For non major legislation, there is an honor based system that allows any senator to block anything. 

If you reduced cloture to a majority from 3/5ths as it currently is, then 50 senators plus the VP can move the question and call a vote on the resolution/bill/whatever, which is also based on majority vote for passage. 

This all is because Aaron Burr thought the emerging rules of debate were duplicative and had the senate change its rules to eliminate a vote to move the previous question (end debate).  Two decades later John Calhoun realized that meant any senator could basically stop procedure. In the 1910s the created cloture of 2/3. In the 70s it was reduced to 3/5. 

• Like 3

Nothing but respect for MY president

“Dung beetles spend hours rolling up balls of dung to attract females,” he said. “But there are some very smart dung beetles that just sit by the side and watch while others do hard work. Then they shoot in, take the dung ball, take the girl and run away with everything. That’s Joe Biden.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

19 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

And the BLS report shows 209k. Get shit on ADP. How do I explain Bidenomics to new grads with Series 7 licenses? I need my gainz back from yesterday

Barely under expectations with some downward revisions. Unemployment rate went down. Wages up 

On 7/6/2023 at 7:09 AM, Gengs1 said:

Probably already posted but this is great ad

I'd take an AI-generated Joe Biden over whatever the Violent Clown Brigade rallies behind.

Hell, I'd take an old shoe. I'm talkin an abandoned pair-less single 1970s buckskin hippy shoe left out in the rain so the leather turned into stiff cardboard, and the crepe sole is all unglued and flapping open at the toe, so it'd trip you if you walked in it but you can't because you only have one. You can't even convert it into a dog chewtoy because you're afraid it would poison the dog. That shoe. That's who I'd vote for. Because that shoe wouldn't make anything worse.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1