Joe Biden 2023: The Dark Brandon Rises

StassneyHorn

I'm giving Joe credit for this. He told his admin to do whatever it takes to get the bridge back up. Less than 2 weeks later they delivered. don't tell me it's not possible for the government to work for us. 

although, knowing concrete takes at least 28 days to cure I'd be a little reticent to hop on just yet. 🤣 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

this is why republicans are so up in arms. it's less about supporting Russia (although some do) and more about the fact that yet again, a dem president dropped trou and dipped his nuts squarely on their chin (bin Laden comes to mind). they can't fucking stand it that a dem prez got such a big victory with so little effort.  I don't know where this leads but you know who's gotten a breath the last few days: Ukraine. You think they were laser-focused before? Meanwhile Joey B is halfway through his second scoop of delicious ice cream made with the salt from republican tears. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/25/2023 at 1:17 PM, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

this is why republicans are so up in arms. it's less about supporting Russia (although some do) and more about the fact that yet again, a dem president dropped trou and dipped his nuts squarely on their chin (bin Laden comes to mind). they can't fucking stand it that a dem prez got such a big victory with so little effort.  I don't know where this leads but you know who's gotten a breath the last few days: Ukraine. You think they were laser-focused before? Meanwhile Joey B is halfway through his second scoop of delicious ice cream made with the salt from republican tears. 

They are all Fredo.

58ffed85-394f-42c7-a0e9-f3e10faa84dc_tex

caae748c-f1f2-44f2-a281-a2dd67e14724_tex

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

I guess regression to the mean is a hard concept. Trends can’t be meaningfully assessed by sticking a pin in 2020 as the index. 

Of course not. The whole game of “as president, I added X jobs,” or “as your president, I kept inflation at x%,” or (my personal favorite) “gas prices under my presidency were lower than they are under this guy’s presidency” has always been incredibly stupid, because 10,000 other controlling factors are in play.
But it’s still the game, because it works, because the people are fucking stupid and assume the president has an inflation lever, and a gas price lever, and a jobs lever. So, Biden should play the hell out of it. He’d be an idiot not to.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

FAIR point, but remember the President of the U.S. in 2020 was Trump, not Biden.   But I get what you're saying.

I remember in maybe my second or third poli-sci class in Florida.  And the teacher was railing on Reagan's jobs record in 1980.  And she's published and top level CV and all that.  And everybody's jotting down notes.  And how the late 81/82 recession after Carter rescued the economy was all Reagan's fault because of his decisions in 1980.  And on and on and on.  And finally, I raised my hand sheepishly, "Um, Prof. Hallum...wasn't Carter still President in 1980?"  And she scowls at me like "No, Reagan was elected President in 1980."  And you'd think this hallowed poli-sci mind would know Election late in the year, not even until 1/81 does Reagan take the reigns and try to quash the second burp of the recession.  

csb/    T/A takes me aside and says "she starts drinking at lunch, so you'll want to take her morning classes from here on out..."  I ended up learning a great deal from her. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I guess regression to the mean is a hard concept. Trends can’t be meaningfully assessed by sticking a pin in 2020 as the index. 

regression to the mean doens't happen by itself.  economies are not self stabilizing. 

exhibit 1:

latest_numbers_LNS12000000_2008_2011_all_period_M12_data.gif.cdcdeeb23ed47b91dade2c4c4c162b47.gif

We have a political party that denies climate change and actively works to sabotage adaptation and mitigation. We have a political party that spreads blatant lies about election fraud and uses that as a basis for voter suppression.

Biden’s tweet is stupid but it’s also straightforward factual information: jobs added in his term. Trump would get to do it if it weren’t for the fact that he lost to an 80 year old with 42 percent approval ratings.

Forgive me if I don’t care about Biden’s tweet.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

We have a political party that denies climate change and actively works to sabotage adaptation and mitigation. We have a political party that spreads blatant lies about election fraud and uses that as a basis for voter suppression.

Biden’s tweet is stupid but it’s also straightforward factual information: jobs added in his term. Trump would get to do it if it weren’t for the fact that he lost to an 80 year old with 42 percent approval ratings.

Forgive me if I don’t care about Biden’s tweet.

Go Ahead Yes GIF

• Haha 3