Joe Biden 2023: The Dark Brandon Rises

StassneyHorn

18 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I’d add on the labor force participation front that ages 25-55 are above pre pandemic levels and as high as they’ve been since before the Great Recession. I think we’ve entered a phase for the boomers - another potentially accelerated by COVID - where their retirements are going to start holding the overall labor participation rate down.

Agreed. The point I was making about the labor force participation rate remaining steady while the unemployment rate went up is that it would imply the number of job holders decreased while the number of job seekers increased to get that result, at least according to the household survey. It could totally be just a blip though.

2 hours ago, bolverk said:

Kinda mixed.

One thing to keep in mind is that the BLS releases two separate surveys here. 1) There's the jobs report which comes from a survey of employers, asking how many folks they have on the payroll. 2) Then there's the employment report which is a survey of households, asking people if they are employed and, if not, are they actively looking for work.

So, we have employers stating they've collectively increased their payroll by 339,000 over the last month, AND we have people saying that 310,000 fewer of them have jobs but the workforce participation rate remained flat.

The jobs report will get revised as more data from businesses come in. In which direction, I don't know. I don't believe the household survey is ever revised. I guess one could see it as either an early harbinger or a blip, but we need more months to establish a trend on unemployment either way.

Despite the outsized job gains, the details of the report may suggest a labor market "normalizing" after the disruptions of the pandemic. The drop in employment levels registered in the monthly survey of households, for example, was driven by a decline in self-employment - something that had spiked during the pandemic alongside an unexpected rise in business starts that may have represented people searching for alternatives during the health crisis.

Overall, said Rick Rieder, global bond chief at investment giant BlackRock, hiring momentum in industries that remain short of pre-pandemic employment levels, like leisure and hospitality, or that face notable labor shortages, like health and education, may continue to fuel monthly job gains even as other parts of the job market slow.

It's an environment, he said, where the Fed may be right to be cautious.

"The fact is that the labor market is still very tight, aided by shortfalls in some service sectors, as well as by historic demographic trends" like population aging, Rieder said. "Yet rather than see the Fed crush the labor market now, in order to bring down still excessively high inflation, we think it's likely that in time the economy could recalibrate organically and in a healthier manner."

Could be people are ditching DoorDash or instacart for W-2 jobs?

4 hours ago, gmr548 said:

I’d add on the labor force participation front that ages 25-55 are above pre pandemic levels and as high as they’ve been since before the Great Recession. I think we’ve entered a phase for the boomers - another potentially accelerated by COVID - where their retirements are going to start holding the overall labor participation rate down.

Lazy boomers not wanting to work anymore 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

won't work or die for their country. fucking freeloaders

Every Viet Nam draftee was a boomer.  I’ve seen no data that voluntary unemployment (excluding retirement), is different, when corrected for normalizing factors, among boomers than preceding generations.  

Hate is no substitute for thought.  That is the other team.

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, nbmishoid said:

Every Viet Nam draftee was a boomer.  I’ve seen no data that voluntary unemployment (excluding retirement), is different, when corrected for normalizing factors, among boomers than preceding generations.  

either your sarcasm meter is off or mine is.

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, TexasEd said:

Lol after Cinnamon, Boobert, Marge Two-toes Green, Cancun Cruz, Matt “She’s too old” Gaetz, and Gym?

Well, I think js1's point is that she really does know better.  With the exception of Cruz, the rest of that crew doesn't.

12 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well, I think js1's point is that she really does know better.  With the exception of Cruz, the rest of that crew doesn't.

She claims to know Better. She does not 

• Hook 'Em 1

giphy.gif

Substitute? No. Necessary adjunct in these times? 100% yes. When facing hateful destructive assholes like we are, meeting them with kindness is suicide. We should, and must hate them. We must pursue their defeat and destruction, because that’s what they have already tried and continued to try to do to the rest of us, and will until they are neutered.
Ya basta. Hate them. You must.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Hatred of American boomers (at least white American boomers) is perfectly reasonable. Nobody in the history of humanity has ever had it easier and they act like they’re more oppressed than slaves. 

I guess they’re not entirely wrong when they say good times make soft men. Charmin wishes they could make TP that soft.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, bolverk said:

Kinda mixed.

One thing to keep in mind is that the BLS releases two separate surveys here. 1) There's the jobs report which comes from a survey of employers, asking how many folks they have on the payroll. 2) Then there's the employment report which is a survey of households, asking people if they are employed and, if not, are they actively looking for work.

So, we have employers stating they've collectively increased their payroll by 339,000 over the last month, AND we have people saying that 310,000 fewer of them have jobs but the workforce participation rate remained flat.

The jobs report will get revised as more data from businesses come in. In which direction, I don't know. I don't believe the household survey is ever revised. I guess one could see it as either an early harbinger or a blip, but we need more months to establish a trend on unemployment either way.

10 hours ago, gmr548 said:

UT's own Julia Coronado explains:

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

When facing hateful destructive assholes like we are, meeting them with kindness is suicide. We should, and must hate them. We must pursue their defeat and destruction, because that’s what they have already tried and continued to try to do to the rest of us, and will until they are neutered.

This manner of thinking has worked so well in places like the middle east, Africa, and everyplace else it has been tried.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

This manner of thinking has worked so well in places like the middle east, Africa, and everyplace else it has been tried.

The problem is that once one side decides on that path, the die is cast. And one side has already decided. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Substitute? No. Necessary adjunct in these times? 100% yes. When facing hateful destructive assholes like we are, meeting them with kindness is suicide. We should, and must hate them. We must pursue their defeat and destruction, because that’s what they have already tried and continued to try to do to the rest of us, and will until they are neutered.
Ya basta. Hate them. You must.

But the issue was boomers, and I missed the satire.  Half of the boomers are on your team.  

10 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

More than half of the 27 million men eligible for the draft during the Vietnam War were deferred, exempted or disqualified

I was #27 in my year’s draft. 1A.  My brother was #6 a couple years earlier. 

I was #51 for 1973.  Read it in the Texan waiting for the second semester Physics prof to show. Draft ended in March.

Shooting Nazis in the face was the ONLY thing that worked. Fascists can’t be reasoned with. They can only be crushed. History shows us that repeatedly.
The problem is that once one side decides on that path, the die is cast. And one side has already decided. 

Because this. The choice is either stand there and be “nice” and get slaughtered, or fight back with enough motivation and destructive power (read: “hate”) to defeat them.
You don’t convince fascists to stop being evil shitbags destroying anyone they set their sights on. You fight back and crush them with overwhelming force. The battle has been joined. It is not a battle we ever, ever wanted. Yet, it is here just the same. Fight back with everything you’ve got, or be destroyed. Those are the choices the fascists have put in front of us. We should choose wisely.

20 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

You think that you are fighting hate, but you have just become a self justified vehicle for it. I hope that you don’t really act like this in public. If so it must be an absolute beating to be around. 

dude, you're a star wars fan too? awesome!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, chainsaw said:

Yes, for a while anyone in college got a deferment.  Those were dropped to enable the big build up.  I never said all of them served.  But if half the eligible did serve, that is some big numbers.  My point was not that all boomers served, rather that all who served were boomers.

And, I missed the satire badly and made a fool of myself.

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah. I just desperately looked for an excuse. Like an entire political movement engaging in stochastic terrorism against my family and friends, resulting in terrorist mass murders of Hispanics (wal mart) Jews (Pittsburgh), black people (Buffalo)….yep. I just WANTED to live in that America, so that I could have an excuse to hate the people calling for that violence. You got me!
You know what’s a beating? Living in a country where the voices and leadership of an entire party whip people up into a frenzy to commit violence against “the weak,” and then listening to entitled (and relatively safe) fuckholes tell those of us in the crosshairs that WE’RE the real problem.

I always thought it funny Ana uses Jimi for his ava. Jimi would have hated his ass.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah. I just desperately looked for an excuse. Like an entire political movement engaging in stochastic terrorism against my family and friends, resulting in terrorist mass murders of Hispanics (wal mart) Jews (Pittsburgh), black people (Buffalo)….yep. I just WANTED to live in that America, so that I could have an excuse to hate the people calling for that violence. You got me!
You know what’s a beating? Living in a country where the voices and leadership of an entire party whip people up into a frenzy to commit violence against “the weak,” and then listening to entitled (and relatively safe) fuckholes tell those of us in the crosshairs that WE’RE the real problem.

This has always been America. Deep down you seek a jingoistic fantasy world that has never existed. But sure, pump more rhetoric about shooting people in the face into the universe. That’s helping no doubt. 

This has always been America. 

That is a flat-out lie. It WAS America. For example, it was America in the Jim Crow era. It was America in the Juan Crow era. We used to have open lynchings. Killed minorities and the weak by the truckload. Open hatred and discrimination were the order of the day.
And then…they weren’t. The Civil Rights movement made real headway. The America of most of my life did NOT involve me having to think twice about being in an “ethnically concentrated” place in case some MAGA nutbar shows up with an AR to “exterminate the invaders.” I get that you maybe don’t perceive that change, because you aren’t and never have been a member of a targeted group. My Jewish friends who have recently chosen to arm themselves feel similarly.
So, no, this hasn’t ALWAYS been America. A particular political faction has successfully gotten America to lurch backwards 50-100 years. That’s fucked. And if you had an ounce of empathy for people in your non-safe social group, you’d realize it.
But you don’t. Because the MAGAts aren’t calling you and your family a scourge of invaders who must be eliminated.

What fantasy decade are you pointing to? The American identity is steeped in racism and genocide. It’s our country’s original sin and permeates every institution. The scars are deep and broad and perhaps insurmountable. But yeah, you talking about shooting people in the face and watching the blood pour out of their loved ones is certainly helping to heal those wounds. Keep fighting the good fight and self flagellating former Republican. 

Edited by Anastasis

Brisket is a straight up jingo, and if you paid attention to his posts wrt our foreign policy you would know that. He loves the fantasy of a rules based international order while posturing about empathy and in/out groups.  Like zero awareness. 

9 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

What fantasy decade are you pointing to? The American identity is steeped in racism and genocide. It’s our country’s original sin and permeates every institution. The scars are deep and broad and perhaps insurmountable. But yeah, you talking about shooting people in the face and watching the blood pour out of their loved ones is certainly helping to heal those wounds. Keep fighting the good fight and self flagellating former Republican. 

This is damn near the Clayton Williams "lay back and enjoy it" approach. Embrace the worst of the country's past, because we sure aren't capable of advancing as a society towards a fairer, more equitable place for all citizens. If you try and point out the openly racist, fascist and un-American activities the GQP have embraced in the last decade...well, you're just doing more harm than good.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

What fantasy decade(s)? The ones that didn’t have one of two major political parties using textbook stochastic terrorist techniques to call for my murder. We’ll go with the 70s, 80s, and 90s as pretty damned good in that respect.
The point is not that we WERE racist and genocidal (we sure as fuck were), it’s that we had turned a corner….and now we have a movement that LITERALLY calls for us to go back to the way things were.
Lynching (using the broad definition of race-based killing) was so socially unacceptable that it slowed to a trickle, a handful of one-offs because there will always be some evil racist fucks.
Today…the former POTUS and defining thought-leader of one of our two parties encourages it, and his chief rival within that party would ban any teaching that it ever happened at all.
You entitled, smug, safe prick. You read a history book and think you know it all. Some of us have to read a grocery store and evaluate whether someone is there to kill us. Put down the book, and live the life experienced by most any “out group” I’m America today. It’s easy as shit to preach your smug bullshit from the spot of safety.
Electing a black president in 2008 broke our fucking social brain. Our latent violent racism that had been RELATIVELY dormant came roaring back. Shit, the credit rating firms (they’re reading the data, not feelings) point to that as the turning point.
Don’t tell me we’ve always been this way. In my lifetime, brown people didn’t need to think twice about going to the store lest some enraged crusader out to protect America’s purity tried to gun them down en masse. That shit didn’t happen. Now, it does. But you don’t give a fuck because they aren’t gunning for you.
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

This is damn near the Clayton Williams "lay back and enjoy it" approach. Embrace the worst of the country's past, because we sure aren't capable of advancing as a society towards a fairer, more equitable place for all citizens. If you try and point out the openly racist, fascist and un-American activities the GQP have embraced in the last decade...well, you're just doing more harm than good.

making wypipo feel their feels has real consequences

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Brisket is a straight up jingo, and if you paid attention to his posts wrt our foreign policy you would know that. He loves the fantasy of a rules based international order while posturing about empathy and in/out groups.  Like zero awareness. 

I admit, I believe that empathy is incredibly important, and something we desperately need. I think its complete loss is our great failing in the current era.
Yet, I have no empathy for people who endorse racial violence. I have no empathy for Nazis.
Ya got me! Clever one you are!
Jesus fuck, that you think you’ve cleverly spotted an inconsistency in the approach of “we should try to treat humans with decency and kindness, except for those humans who want to exterminate us” does a better job of pantsing you than anything any of us could ever say.
  • Hook 'Em 2