88th Texas Legislature

atomheartbevo

43 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

So, no one talking about the Lege potentially taking away the ability of local governments to make laws where state law is silent?

Sorry, too busy trying to get air to any sort of reform following Uvalde failing, legislation focused only on Houston to force a revote whenever it is felt like, closing down adolescent care at hospitals, requiring the 10 commandments to be shown in classrooms, trying to remove tenure from universities, and giveaways to Christian private schools.

What a fucking mess of a session.

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

Students 10 years from now, 
"Mr. Lobo, what was your opinion of the 2023 session in Texas?"

Me, "Ironically, it was one that you would have liked to take out back and abort."

students, "What does Irony mean?"

Me, "Look it up in the library."

students, "What are libraries." 

Me, "Goddamit."

students pointing at poster on wall of formerly great institution of higher learning, "Uh, we have to report you.'  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Sorry, too busy trying to get air to any sort of reform following Uvalde failing, legislation focused only on Houston to force a revote whenever it is felt like, closing down adolescent care at hospitals, requiring the 10 commandments to be shown in classrooms, trying to remove tenure from universities, and giveaways to Christian private schools.
What a fucking mess of a session.

Imagine if these guys were full time
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

So, no one talking about the Lege potentially taking away the ability of local governments to make laws where state law is silent?

Remember when MQS caught Bonner on tape a few years ago? In that conversation Bonner talked about it. This was on the agenda. The Lege is determined to punish big cities any way they can.

• Rage+1 1

10 billion dollars --- fully 1/3rd of the budget surplus --- doled out by the Texas GOP to private corporate interests.  They weren't even given time to read it.  All for the natural gas power plants that will contribute to the global warming that our children and grandchildren will curse us for.  Meanwhile, Texas school teachers are having to work second jobs to make ends meet. 

• Rage+1 8

Congrats, Texas.  You are as shitty and hateful as Florida.  Glad I left Texas in 2019.  At what point will the folks in the urban areas get fed up and actually fucking vote? 

Half the state lives in 7 counties and those counties account for a little less than half the vote, which is pulling their weight when accounting for the higher number of children and non-citizens relative to rural counties.

The problem isn’t that urban areas don’t show up. They do, at least relatively speaking. The problem is this is what we are.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 2

43 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Half the state lives in 7 counties and those counties account for a little less than half the vote, which is pulling their weight when accounting for the higher number of children and non-citizens relative to rural counties.

The problem isn’t that urban areas don’t show up. They do, at least relatively speaking. The problem is this is what we are.

Yeah, someone posted about how the sample size of those that do vote is large enough that it's going to show the will of the people. People evidently want this. Or if they don't want the specifics, they think it's better than voting for the other party.

19 murdered kids and two teachers in Uvalde is better than what would happen if Democrats were elected. Imagine thinking that.

Yeah, someone posted about how the sample size of those that do vote is large enough that it's going to show the will of the people. People evidently want this. Or if they don't want the specifics, they think it's better than voting for the other party.
19 murdered kids and two teachers in Uvalde is better than what would happen if Democrats were elected. Imagine thinking that.

I believe that was me, or at least I have posted as much (maybe among others). You can predict elections with reasonable accuracy by polling a few hundred people representative of the electorate. Getting 50+ percent of registered voters provides a certainty that most people don’t seem to understand.

I mostly felt the same way beforehand, but Uvalde going overwhelmingly GOP in 2022 just broke whatever hope I had in Texas. We just want it this way and that’s abundantly clear.

Maybe things will eventually change between generational transition and continued in migration. But that’s going to take another decade-plus if it happens at all and I’m fairly skeptical on the latter these days as Texas is going to Florida route of being a destination for the MAGA crowd.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Texas is going to Florida route of being a destination for the MAGA crowd.

Seems to be the impression I get, thought I don't have hard evidence. I guess on a plus side that "should" help on a national stage? But on a state level, it absolutely sucks.

6 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I mostly felt the same way beforehand, but Uvalde going overwhelmingly GOP in 2022 just broke whatever hope I had in Texas. We just want it this way and that’s abundantly clear.

Just looked it up. Uvalde County went by the EXACT same margin (60/38) as it did in 2018. Nineteen murdered kids and teachers and nobody changed their vote. 

23 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

You mean the GOLL Full Employment Act of 2023?

I mean, yeah--it's completely unconstitutional.  But it's also incredibly vague.  So in the time until the Texas Supreme Court strikes it down as unconstitutional, there's going to be a whole lot of litigation over what in the hell it means.  And at least for my purposes, that's pretty fucking great.

• Haha 3

I am keenly aware of the anti-voter measures taken by GOP as of late (and as of the last 20 years)...but Someday, somebody please explain to me why somebody would go through all the trouble of registering to vote, then watching the two weeks of early voting go by and just not bothering to actually vote?  

You look up the menu, you pick out what you want to eat, you call it in, you give them your hard earned credit card number, they give you the pickup time.  And at the last second, you're just like, "Nah, I'm good.  Had a muffin yesterday."  The disconnect is not only frustrating, but no fucking decent political study has ever been done about it.  We beat the fuck outta the pre-election poll numbers and exit polls.  But there is shit science behind, "Why did you bother registering to sit on your ass for two fucking goddamn weeks?  Why'd you fucking bother?"  

And that Drogin and Bannon's prize discovery.  

Edited by YGIFS
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

I am keenly aware of the anti-voter measures taken by GOP as of late (and as of the last 20 years)...but Someday, somebody please explain to me why somebody would go through all the trouble of registering to vote, then watching the two weeks of early voting go by and just not bothering to actually vote?  
You look up the menu, you pick out what you want to eat, you call it in, you give them your hard earned credit card number, they give you the pickup time.  And at the last second, you're just like, "Nah, I'm good.  Had a muffin yesterday."  The disconnect is not only frustrating, but no fucking decent political study has ever been done about it.  We beat the fuck outta the pre-election poll numbers and exit polls.  But there is shit science behind, "Why did you bother registering to sit on your ass for two fucking goddamn weeks?  Why'd you fucking bother?"  
And that Drogin and Bannon's prize discovery.  

My unscientific hypotheses is that it’s a lot easier to drive registration in various settings where people are already there - churches, schools, workplaces, sporting events, DMV, whatever - than it is to get people to actually do something additional and go vote.

House passed the senate bill on property tax with a major edit to include 5% caps for all property. They also granted Dan Patrick his 100k homestead exemption. Goes back to senate but Patrick has said caps are a no go. My guess is they allow the 5% cap on homesteads only along with the other rate compression/exemption bump for homesteads. 

brint Ryan and Bettencourt have way too much on the line to allow caps, Ryan has dropped 100MM or more on acquisitions of prop tax firms the last couple yrs that go poof overnight if commercial caps hit (trying to ipo). And Bettencourt has a fairly large prop tax firm that also goes poof. 

1 hour ago, bluto said:

House passed the senate bill on property tax with a major edit to include 5% caps for all property. They also granted Dan Patrick his 100k homestead exemption. Goes back to senate but Patrick has said caps are a no go. My guess is they allow the 5% cap on homesteads only along with the other rate compression/exemption bump for homesteads. 

Prepared to be locked into the house you own .... if you own ....  this plus higher mortgage rates means moving will become more difficult.

Edited by Texas Jeff

11 hours ago, Texas Jeff said:

Prepared to be locked into the house you own .... if you own ....  this plus higher mortgage rates means moving will become more difficult.

If 5% is a go then no doubt. The word today is they’ll settle on 7.5% for homesteads only. 

• Like 1

Abbott and Co. really do not fucking get that this fight with the rurals and urbans united is not a fight he can win in the long term.  If he calls a special session in September just as school is getting back in session, and pulling all of these legislators away from their regular jobs, the vote will note change and he'll have really pissed everybody off.

This will be his Mouse.

Edited by atomheartbevo

The Lege is considering a $16 billion property tax relief bill.  I was curious to calculate how much each teacher in Texas would get, if they just said screw property tax relief and let the teachers split the cash.  There are about 344,000 teachers in Texas, so in my magical world, each teacher would get an extra $46,500.  That would put them about where we pay Austin police officers.

It is too bad that we can't just try that for a few years -- try to have a better educational system by paying people more to stay.  See what happens.  See who decides to be a teacher and stick with it.

We are great at building high school indoor practice facilities for football because folks like to win football games.  It just seems crazy not to fund the rest of it.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Texas Jeff said:

It is too bad that we can't just try that for a few years -- try to have a better educational system by paying people more to stay.  See what happens.  See who decides to be a teacher and stick with it.

But then we would start paying our teachers as much as those woke libtards in New England.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheStoicPaisano said:

Do they all look like/Jack the plotline from Steven Seagal?

This fucking session timeline.  You can tell me on Monday that in addition to the head Unlicensed Chaplain, that the real Steven Seagal has now been put in charge of Texas Schools security.  He roams from campus to campus, "Anybody seen the cafeteria?  Anybody know why Richie did Bobby Lupo like that?"  

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

From that link

The Texas legislature appeared poised Thursday night to eliminate state vehicle safety inspections.

House Bill 3297, authored by Rep. Cody Harris (R-Palestine), has already passed the Texas House and could receive a Senate vote as early as Friday. If passed, it would be headed for the governor’s desk.

“If you have bald tires, that's up to you. I mean, it's a personal responsibility. If you have bald tires go replace your tires, Rep. Craig Goldman (R-Fort Worth) told NBC 5 Investigates in an April interview. Goldman has helped lead the charge to kill vehicle inspections in this year’s legislative session.

Republicans really have become the dumbest fucking people.  We're headed towards a state run by MTGs and Boeberts.

It's really fucking embarrassing because Goldman is a UT grad.

That fucking idiot does not realize how many Texans will absolutely drive their tires bald and run their brakes down to save a few bucks or because they don't want to be inconvenienced.  I bet if Goldman went out and surveyed 100 of his constituents on what makes for a good tire tread, he'll get dozens of answers.

Actually, Goldman probably does know that many Texans will drive their cars on bald tires and with bad brakes, but he's just trying to keep that MAGA crowd backing him. It doesn't affect him if wrecks increase, injuries increase, insurance rates go up, etc.

Almost all of us here probably knew plenty of people who wouldn't get their cars/tires/brakes fixed if it weren't for inspections.

We're all going to enjoy driving 65-75mph (or higher) on crowded highways with dipshits on bald tires and bad brakes. We have to go through Dallas a few times a year, and they love their construction and no shoulders and concrete barricades that keep the lanes tight.

Lin Manuel Miranda Wow GIF by Desus & Mero

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 3